• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah I'm not understanding that post either. Is the point that FF has a history of doing politics well but under Matsuno's stewardship? Tabata was working on Crisis Core at the same time FF12 was being developed by Matsuno. There's no overlap between the two.

I think the poster is just pointing out that it's not just Tabata who have politics in the games they direct.

I don't know why they don't try to hook Matsuno back in. Dude loves XIV.

Well the official story was that he left FF12 midway through development due to health reasons but the rumor mill suggests there was disagreement over the development of the game and SE politics led Matsuno to take his ball and go home. I wonder if there's bad blood.

Edit -

And while we're on this tangent I am still waiting for the day SE decides to let Hiroyuki Ito out of the goddamn janitor's closet.

Squire

Banned
Well the official story was that he left FF12 midway through development due to health reasons but the rumor mill suggests there was disagreement over the development of the game and SE politics led Matsuno to take his ball and go home. I wonder if there's bad blood.

Oh I recall of that, but every time I see the guy tweet about XIV I think, "Ph, maybe he's not mad?!" Who knows!

Anyway, enjoyed the movie impressions from those that went. Still curious to see it on the big screen, but my expectations are as completely tempered as they've always been.

wmlk

Re: FNC. While the game isn't part of FNC and Tabata's said as much, what can't be denied is that it has its roots in FNC when the game was Versus XIII.

Besides, as duckroll was saying, this could very well be another interpretation of the FNC and it could use it in completely different ways than FFXIII did. Or maybe it's not? Especially since the core mythology of FNC is so basic that it doesn't matter anyway and could be just generic fantasy mumbo-jumbo. Screw FNC branding.

I don't know why they don't try to hook Matsuno back in. Dude loves XIV.

Dude has had it with development of AAA titles. He just plain doesn't want to work on big projects anymore because that's exhausting. If you read up about the development of Vagrant Story, it was a real trainwreck too and the only reason that game was completed despite the delays and scrapped content is because it was a bit smaller a project than something like FF12. FF12 was just simply put an impossible task for a control freak like Matsuno.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Matsuno should be allowed to pen the script for FFXVI and then go home and play FFXIV in peace.

Hiroyuki Ito then reads the script, adjusts it accordingly, and directs FFXVI.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's a ton of FF fanservice in Kingsglaive too. The scale is also much larger. Would be far more entertaining if I could see what the fuck was going on half the time though.

Sit further away.

I'm not even being ironic for once.

When something moving across the screen flashes across a smaller fraction of your vision, it's easier to track, especially at ~cinematic 24FPS~.

I've always tried to sit as far back as possible in action movies. Watched TFA from pretty much the second row from front by mistake, regretted it. It was like playing a bad PC port stuck at FOV 65 2 feet from my monitor.

edit: To be clear, I'm not comparing the cinematography in TFA to Kingsglaive, mind you. But yeah, really. Also Michael Bay movies.

Turin

Banned
Yeah, I actually heard that before from someone's impression.

As I said, nobody should've been expecting a cinematographical masterpiece. Nozue has only worked on Advent Children and loose CGI cutscenes. A full, coherent movie is a whole 'nother beast and is a craft that movie directors study for years and years. Nozue just has to learn to slow things down and show a bit of restraint, and many scenes would already benefit a lot.

He'd benefit from having an actual good director to work alongside.

Matsuno should be allowed to pen the script for FFXVI and then go home and play FFXIV in peace.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

duckroll

Sit further away.

I'm not even being ironic for once.

When something moving across the screen flashes across a smaller fraction of your vision, it's easier to track, especially at ~cinematic 24FPS~.

I've always tried to sit as far back as possible in action movies. Watched TFA from pretty much the second row from front by mistake, regretted it. It was like playing a bad PC port stuck at FOV 65 2 feet from my monitor.

edit: To be clear, I'm not comparing the cinematography in TFA to Kingsglaive, mind you. But yeah, really. Also Michael Bay movies.

Dude. We were almost at the back row.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Edit: Urk, my Stannis grammar joke was timed poorly and now this post's a waste of space and I'm going to go rethink my life.

Mildly on-topic: middle of the theater is best seats.

duckroll

I've been think about something for a bit now. I remember a comment by Tabata earlier on, about how Lucis is a kingdom that has a culture or religion of worshiping the dead or something and that he was struggling to depict it without crossing certain ratings regulations in some regions or whatever. What happened to that? I don't see any indication of that in Kingsglaive and there would have been many scenes where they would have had a chance to highlight that aspect. Lots of people die in Kingsglaive, how people deal with death and loss is something it kinda touches upon, but there is zero indication anywhere that this is a country that in any way has a culture of ancestral worship or strong belief in the afterlife. What gives?

Mildly on-topic: middle of the theater is best seats.

Not always. You have to know how the hall is designed and how far the seats are away from the screen. Some screens have the first row further away than others, etc. So for some screens the best seats are definitely in the middle rows, but there are some where going further back is better for optimal viewing.

Soriku

I've been think about something for a bit now. I remember a comment by Tabata earlier on, about how Lucis is a kingdom that has a culture or religion of worshiping the dead or something and that he was struggling to depict it without crossing certain ratings regulations in some regions or whatever. What happened to that? I don't see any indication of that in Kingsglaive and there would have been many scenes where they would have had a chance to highlight that aspect. Lots of people die in Kingsglaive, how people deal with death and loss is something it kinda touches upon, but there is zero indication anywhere that this is a country that in any way has a culture of ancestral worship or strong belief in the afterlife. What gives?

I thought he said they removed that aspect of the story.

artsi

I think you said it, I guess they're going for maximum sales and didn't want the movie / game to be banned in China and / or other countries. So they just dress in black now.

Philippo

Isn't that the whole
Old Lucian Kings
deal?

I thought he said they removed that aspect of the story.

He said they toned it down, not removed iirc

duckroll

Isn't that the whole
Old Lucian Kings
deal?

That doesn't seem to be anything related to the culture of the people in the country. It's more like some royal secret only some people really know about. The impression Kingsglaive gives is that Lucis is a modern secular society that only uses magic as a tool.

Asd202

Eh I wouldn't want another XII situation. Matsuno story from start to end. no shitty ass adjustments like Vaan and Penelo.

Watched it. Like it.

Ironically, I agree with duckroll with just about everything, but I came out really enjoying it.

But yeah, with the movie, going in with hindsight that this was originally supposed to be another medium ( game prologue ) that was readapted into a movie, makes it a lot more obvious the parts of this movie that doesn't seem to have the same amount of care into it.

For example, I would say that the "moment-to-moment" beats of the movie are very well framed. From one scene to the next, things flowed well. But the quality of the scenes that were quieter character-focused ones? Hollow and doesn't build any real emotional gravitas. I went in and out of the movie not really caring for Nyx at all. Also, for all the excellent visuals in the movie, it had mediocre story-boarding. Amazing moments in the movie fall short of their full potential because the storyboarding fails to amplify the scenes and storytelling.

That being said, as a FF fan, I still really liked it. It won't win any awards as a standalone, but as a setup for FFXV? I think it largely does its job.

Anyone know if the disk in the game's Deluxe Edition will also have a 3D version of the movie? If there even is a 3D version of it at all.

duckroll

No there's no 3D version afaik.

Happy to see Nightengale enjoyed it. I don't think it's ironic at all to be able to see flaws in something and still enjoy it. I think what held back my enjoyment for Kingsglaive was how disappointing the action direction was when it could have really elevated it from just "fun" to "wow" even if it's just on a graphical basis. There's definitely a lot to smile at for FF fans who are into easter eggs and monster cameos.

Voror

Huh looks like they're are shows going on in Austin. Reserved a ticket for next Saturday at my local Alamo Drafthouse. So that'll be something to do next week.

Action direction was.. really, really mediocre.

And one could even say it's terrible
considering the potential of the material they had to work with in the last 3rd of the movie

bonkeng

Just watched in theaters a few hours ago.

I can say I enjoyed it. Story is good enough.
but too similar to Troy.

Action sequence is also good, but not as good as Advent Children imo.

Only thing I don't like, the main villain is too OP. I mean, he can singlehandedly demolish the entire army of Lucis if he wants to.

Overall, I'd rate it as 8/10.

kurahador

Urghhh...I really want to like this movie but good god that editing during action. Fuck!! If you guys want to know how bad it was, google that liam neeson jumping fence gif. It's that bad.

It's such a ahame too considering how the set pieces in last half were Asura's Wrath+Pacific Rim level of insane.

Best I can give it is 5/10 due to the atrocious action direction. Storywise, it's a solid 6.5 IMO.

Has everybody so far been watching with Japanese dubbed audio?

I know my question is couched with an undercurrent of "Maybe the English dubbed audio has a different/better? experience" but I'm genuinely curious as well if they're distributing that version alongside the Japanese one.

Specifically I am reading that the storytelling regardless of dubbed language has problems so I'm not arguing that. Just wondering if the English dub casting is basically window-dressing to draw in mainstream audiences who like the actors more than their familiarity with this franchise might draw them in or not.

bigkurz

Banned

care to elaborate for someone not as smart as you? I know gaming press have seen it so i presume the english version exists somewhere. and was just wondering if it was available.

if the answer is no then just tell me that. no need to call me a fool.

bigkurz

Banned

xion4360

Really? Guess I didn't know that. With how open NeoGAF is regarding homebrew and emulation and things like Nintendont I didn't imagine asking about piracy would be taboo. Guess I'll delete my post.

click on TOS on the top panel to read the rules..

Emulation/Piracy

The topics of emulation and piracy in the context of the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software, and livestreams of pirated software play are all strictly prohibited.

European Blu Ray does not seem to have Japanese VO..do we know if the digital version will have Japanese VO?

I guess their reasoning is that they should just include the European languages + the original language... which in this case isn't Japanese since the lipsync was done with the English voices.

EDIT: Beaten

The Japanese track is just a dub track for the Japanese region. It's not on any other release because English is the original language for the movie.

I know that that's (unconventionally) the case for this, but would have been nice to have the Japanese track additionally, given some intend to play the game with Japanese dub and no English dub exists for Brotherhood.

The cast isn't even the same though.

Which was presumably a marketing decision to get an all-star cast for the film in the West, but still going from Japanese to Japanese would be less jarring, despite cast changes.

And anyway, I'd love to hear Gô Ayano as Nyx compared to Aaron Paul.

Edit: I wonder which dub the game's animations will be designed for - do we have any idea yet? It's clear Squeenix are targeting the Western market first as far as Kingsglaive is concerned.

So anybody know if the london kingsglaive tickets all sold out or if it's a bug o_O, it opened up like 15 seconds before 4, i was refreshing for the whole minute prior and it still sold out instantly o_O.

Top Bottom