• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Ocaso

I'm on chapter 7 now and I think the bolded is exactly why reviewers knocked the game. So far, from chapter 1 to chapter 7, it's all been pretty much the same thing, kill bad guys, advance further,

Haven't played it yet, but based on impressions I'm guessing the reversal of expectations likely played a role, namely that Knack's size shifting was made out to be such a distinguishing trait, but in the end gameplay remains largely the same regardless. I'm still debating whether to keep this or return it when it arrives, but leaning towards giving it a shot.

Played through the first chapter. I never got a prompt for linking to the iOS app. How do I send stuff from Knack's Quest to the game? The iOS app is linked to my PSN, but in "Collectables" on the PS4 game, nothing shows up. How do they link?

Timu

This game is way better than a 3 or 4, but still isn't great yet, though I just beaten the 1st level so I need more time to judge it.

anddo0

This game is way better than a 3 or 4, but still isn't great yet, though I just beaten the 1st level so I need more time to judge it.

I played up to chapter 2-3 with my nephew. I've played worse. I would put it in the 7 range, from what I've played so far. The graphics are safe, but the IQ is very clean. The gameplay is somewhat repetitive, but they mix it up in enough to keep your interest. Knack, is what I thought it would be. A good to passable launch game that helps you pass the time while waiting for the heavy hitters.. If you own it, it's fun. If you don't, it's not something you need to run out and buy right away.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Haven't played it yet, but based on impressions I'm guessing the reversal of expectations likely played a role, namely that Knack's size shifting was made out to be such a distinguishing trait, but in the end gameplay remains largely the same regardless. I'm still debating whether to keep this or return it when it arrives, but leaning towards giving it a shot.

Well they did pull the growing thing off pretty well but, I think IGN mentioned this in their review, the game has too much control of how big you can grow and when. It's all a very scripted affair. I think you should give it a shot if you liked ps1 era platformers. It's nowhere near as good as the top ps1 era platformers, but still pretty enjoyable.

Someone in this thread said it's a fun game but extremely shallow, I think that's the perfect definition for this game.

I played up to chapter 2-3 with my nephew. I've played worse. I would put it in the 7 range, from what I've played so far. The graphics are safe, but the IQ is very clean. The gameplay is somewhat repetitive, but they mix it up in enough to keep your interest. Knack, is what I thought it would be. A good to passable launch game that helps you pass the time while waiting for the heavy hitters.. If you own it, it's fun. If you don't, it's not something you need to run out and buy right away.

The graphics get better later on when you see Knack shimmering off the walls and stuff.

bumpkin

Played through the first chapter. I never got a prompt for linking to the iOS app. How do I send stuff from Knack's Quest to the game? The iOS app is linked to my PSN, but in "Collectables" on the PS4 game, nothing shows up. How do they link?
I want to know the same thing. Where is this supposed "Item Sending" feature that was in the App's latest update summary?

Watched a lager majority if this game on the stream...it is no way a 4 or 5 game, solid 7 or 8 if it tickles your nostalgia bone. The day and age for big media sites are over, user reviews are gonna be all the more potent this gen with ppl able to share there experiences. Just like everytime I buy some Mario game that got 10/10, play It, and can't understand the hype. Indeed they are fun and usually have brlliant level design, but sites like ign would have you believe each Mario game is some must have experience, and I'm just tired if there scores dictating what's a good game and what's not. Getting knack day one I get my ps4. Thank you next Gen for the share button...

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Eh. Maybe, but not much better. Honestly, the game is just too...safe. Skylanders has more interesting combat and platforming. Hell, Bayonetta and God of War have more interesting platforming. And Bayonetta/Darksiders/a whole bunch more make two button combat interesting. Knack on the other hand offers simple point A to B traversal that rarely, if ever asks you to jump on anything more than the equivalent of staircases. The combat is a three hit punch and a dodge. That's it. There's nothing more to the game. And the worst part is, that it's tough and checkpoints are pretty unforgiving.

So it's generally pretty boring and punishes you to repeat the boring every time to you fail the frequent, boring arenas. And there's no flash to sugarcoat it. It's just... three hit combo, dodge, repeat. Mario has more interesting (much more varied) moves and combat is the least important part of that series. Whereas the combat arenas are more frequent here than God of War.

lunchtoast

How is the co-op? Is it really accessible for non-gamers? Considering picking up a 2nd controller to play this with the wife.

I played this at a friend's house last night, was pretty fun but hard. 2nd player you play a metal robot. When you die you can respawn after 5 seconds. You can also use triangle to give Knack your health, which was very useful. I can see this game being pretty challenging single player.

Shinjiru

there's rumble

==-

and i need to stop jumping. found out the hard way the orcs can actually shoot you with arrow mid air lol.

also anyone know if the items in chest are randomized?

I wonder why rumble isn't working for me in this game. I downloaded Flower and rumble works just fine.

and i need to stop jumping. found out the hard way the orcs can actually shoot you with arrow mid air lol.

also anyone know if the items in chest are randomized?

You can still dodge the arrows mid air so its not a big deal. Jumping less is a good idea though... at least when attacking. In the later chapters there are plenty of enemies that punish jumping in and doing the ball attack on them. There are orcs that put oil on fire or acid right in front of or around them so when you bounce off from the jump you land in it and take damage.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wasn't feeling it at first, but after playing a bit with the gf, this game is growing on me. Playing on hard does make it a bit less mashy.

Is there a chapter select eventually? I wouldn't want to restart the whole game to collect missing pieces/trophies.

Rocky

Banned
Just wanted to say I've been playing Knack for a couple of hours now and am really enjoying it. It's a lot of fun. Don't know what those low reviewers were thinking.

tfur

Just wanted to say I've been playing Knack for a couple of hours now and am really enjoying it. It's a lot of fun. Don't know what those low reviewers were thinking.

Yeah. Feels like a lot of sour grapes from some reviewers. That, and it is probably too hard for most casual low skilled journalists.

The coop is incredibly fun with my daughter. Well designed power of the little silver guy makes you able to crutch your way with an inexperienced player. Reviewers can blow me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Played co-op with my wife...holy shit we had a blast.

Giant icy Knack = FUCK AWESOME!!! So bad ass. :O

lol51

There was a patch yesterday that 'added network features'. I didn't notice this until after that patch but there is a 'Recieve Item' option in the menu to get stuff you acquired through companion apps. The option will be available inside the game - I was able to retrieve my stuff at the start of 3-3.

You would have to login to your PSN from the app to link though.

hohoXD123

Well they did pull the growing thing off pretty well but, I think IGN mentioned this in their review, the game has too much control of how big you can grow and when. It's all a very scripted affair. I think you should give it a shot if you liked ps1 era platformers. It's nowhere near as good as the top ps1 era platformers, but still pretty enjoyable.

Someone in this thread said it's a fun game but extremely shallow, I think that's the perfect definition for this game.

The graphics get better later on when you see Knack shimmering off the walls and stuff.
But if the game didn't control this, wouldn't some portions be ridiculously easy and others ridiculously hard?

Sorian

Banned
But if the game didn't control this, wouldn't some portions be ridiculously easy and others ridiculously hard?

This exactly, plus playing on hard, I've noticed they've done a great job of balancing when I can kill enemies in one shot vs. when they can kill me in one shot when there is a huge size discrepency between us. Also, well done at making me feel just as strong as an enemy if we are the same size. I admit, the platforming is weak for my tastes but the fighting varies well for me when I should be strong or weak.

Jedi2016

-I didn't know this would basically be Souls-lite. Same brutally punishing pattern-recognition combat with linear gameplay instead of an open world.
That's what it feels like sometimes, for sure. You die learning how to deal with the first one or two bad guys, then you make it past them, die on the third guy, but you figure out how to get past him.. you get past him, then die on the next guy. Rinse, repeat. Surprising amount of twich-skill required for a "kids game".

Has anyone uploaded or streamed a Knack playthrough on the hardest difficulty? From the Giant Bomb and Rev 3 videos I've seen, it's very pleasant to watch and I would like to see what the challenge is like on harder difficulties, since "sneaky press fucks" are generally not so great at games and would not ever try.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Chapter 6 or something and LOVE the game. The low review scores are a joke, at least compared to games that really deserve them. The game is polished, clean, colorful, beautiful, and it plays great. I'm not sure why it would get lower scores than some absolute turds from the past few years. I think it is a blast and I'm definitely going to replay on Hard for my next run.

We just don't have games like these anymore. It's more fun than I thought it would be back when I preordered.

Has anyone uploaded or streamed a Knack playthrough on the hardest difficulty? From the Giant Bomb and Rev 3 videos I've seen, it's very pleasant to watch and I would like to see what the challenge is like on harder difficulties, since "sneaky press fucks" are generally not so great at games and would not ever try.

that's what i'm playing now. and streaming as well

i'm not really thinking i just rush in. the AI seem to try attack first and doge a lot as well.

also it's nice to know they block certain parts of the game like when you find an unlockable item.

Deadstar

Yeah. Feels like a lot of sour grapes from some reviewers. That, and it is probably too hard for most casual low skilled journalists.

The coop is incredibly fun with my daughter. Well designed power of the little silver guy makes you able to crutch your way with an inexperienced player. Reviewers can blow me.

Best review was from Tara Long. I had the game preordered anyway because I don't let others tell me what to like but I did enjoy her review the most. It does look sparse and bland in some areas but it's just fun to play for some reason.

It's strange but I feel the combat takes queues from dark souls. Animation priority is very important and you need to time all of knacks movements and attacks.

Sorian

Banned
It's strange but I feel the combat takes queues from dark souls. Animation priority is very important and you need to time all of knacks movements and attacks.

And although you aren't being punished much, the game will not let you continue if you think you are just going to rush your opponent. I like it.

Kanguro

Neo Member
that's what i'm playing now. and streaming as well

i'm not really thinking i just rush in. the AI seem to try attack first and doge a lot as well.

also it's nice to know they block certain parts of the game like when you find an unlockable item.

Good to know that's the hardest difficulty because it looks brutal. Although to be fair, you really are just bull rushing in.

Anyway, the game looks fun. Nothing near what the broken 4 out 10 game reviews would lead you to believe.

hohoXD123

Good thing the share feature makes it somewhat easier to tell when reviews for a game are BS.

This exactly, plus playing on hard, I've noticed they've done a great job of balancing when I can kill enemies in one shot vs. when they can kill me in one shot when there is a huge size discrepency between us. Also, well done at making me feel just as strong as an enemy if we are the same size. I admit, the platforming is weak for my tastes but the fighting varies well for me when I should be strong or weak.

That's good to know, I really don't see why balancing suddenly counts as a negative now.

Good to know that's the hardest difficulty because it looks brutal. Although to be fair, you really are just bull rushing in.

Anyway, the game looks fun. Nothing near what the broken 4 out 10 game reviews would lead you to believe.

i know lol. i keep forgetting to NOT do that but it's a habit.

also man. the boss battle cause much lag. feels like that area dipped below 20

also i set it to best quality. man. i wish my ISP would give me more than 4MB/s

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
How is the co-op? Is it really accessible for non-gamers? Considering picking up a 2nd controller to play this with the wife.

Works good for kids, robot knack can die,. but it won't set you back to the check point. So you send in robo-knack first if you are having issues.

My seven year old loves this game, he has been bugging me non stop to play. He hasn't mentioned Lego Marvel since we played it. Sad that jaded reviewers are knocking the game, it is polished, pretty and fun enough to keep kids and their fathers entertained.

Saying the game is the same in throughout is kind of silly. All games establish a few mechanics and then use them the whole game. Knack isn't an RPG, the gameplay is not going to change much, but the environments and enemies change a lot. Its not what you got, it is how you use it.

Cade

I'm liking this game a lot (I'm up to about Chapter 4 or so), especially in co-op (though the co-op partner's role is diminshed/easier).
Anyway, I was hoping people who have the game and are playing it/have played it would add me for chest item swapping possibility thing as the few people on my list with the game aren't playing it fast enough. PSN ID's cadeSILVER, I'll accept any requests!

Sp33Demon

Third person review here. I got this for my kids as I am just not into platforming or beatem ups but my sons are. They were pretty meh on the game when I told them I got it as part of Amazon's BOGO. They started plating (co-op) yesterday and have not put it down save for a few hours of Shadowfall. They are having a blast! While I personally don't think it is my kind of game, they have me wanting to play it. AV is great and gameplay, while very elementary, looks challenging (they are VERY good at games) and they have not had an easy time. I think that this game would be a lost one if introduced into a mature library but as a launch title, it does what it needs to and launch goggles are not required. It is a good game that probably doesn't check review score boxes.

Beant

SyvHbgU.jpg

had to..

Top Bottom