• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

codhand

Beat it last night,

jeremy parish? pssshhh,

phil kollar? in what imaginary world, did a death set you back 10 minutes?

trust no one,

dont believe [the press'] lies

Tsundere

Banned
Despite its mediocre reviews, I'm having a blast with Knack. Sure it's repetitive, but it's quite challenging if you play on hard.

It's also nice to see how clear and crisp the graphics and textures are. I think its graphical side is severely under-rated. It plays like a platformer, and is fun and engaging, I spend hours on it at a time and keep wanting to go back.

I can't say Ive noticed any slowdown as far as framerate goes, it seems pretty stable for me (fully installed, etc.)

So far, I'm giving this a 8.5/10.

codhand

another thing i find odd about critical consensus is the difficulty.

is it difficult? no.
is it challenging? yes.

would it be too hard for a kid? abso fkn lutely not. was super mario world?

side note. coop mode is a godsend for novice gamers, girlfriends who want to participate, or a really young children, who want to help their big siblings.

coop also serves to completely alleviate any difficulty the game has, so any review that says it's too difficult, did not try co-op

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Me and some friends were playing last night. 25+ year old grown men. And we were having a blast.

Rushed reviews imo. And they probably played on easy.

codhand

Me and some friends were playing last night. 25+ year old grown men. And we were having a blast.

no excuses for it.
if they didnt like it, or thought it was OK, that's fine.
but i "rushed through it" on normal, and wouldn't say any of the hyperbole Parish, Kollar or others have, in their respective reviews.

SuperPac

While they may have been rushed, I don't think they played on Easy. Most mentioned having to go back to checkpoints so surely they played on Normal at least. :)

I think they just don't get or don't want a game like Knack that's much like modern LEGO, Skylanders or Disney Universe games - repetitive gameplay, linear progression, very light (if any) puzzle solving, simple control scheme. Because it's not doing anything particularly new or different it's easy to look down on. Though I liked the passive social features with the chests it's pretty clear some reviewers either didn't care or didn't understand the benefits. Sadly some of the cooler things about the game are the gadgets and abilities that are unlocked and if you don't have friends playing I could see it being a bit bland.

I'm on level 10-3 now and still enjoying it a lot. The story's a bit ham-fisted but still fun. The game suffers from being overly generic - mostly static/lifeless environments, uninspired music, a few levels and environments that overstay their welcome. I wish there was more life here - everything looks beautiful but I wanted more interaction. The few areas in the late-game where you start as small Knack and 1 hit'll kill you can be a bit of a roadblock.

It's not that there is no valid criticism of the game - there is. But it's not a badly designed game as some of these reviews would have you think. Just a very safe game with an old-school flavor.

vilmer_

It's not that there is no valid criticism of the game - there is. But it's not a badly designed game as some of these reviews would have you think. Just a very safe game with an old-school flavor.

That's exactly what it is, and I'm loving every second of it! The animations and texture design on top of that really make it a solid game for me. I don't see how someone can give this game a 3 or 4 out of 10. At all. To each his own I guess.

Paznos

Just got to chapter 3-2 I think and I just have to say I was always interested in the game and thought it looked like it would be fun but after all the reviews I got worried, I got the game with my PS4 as it came with the Amazon Knack bundle(got it yesterday Sunday delivery!)

This game has been so much fun and loving every minute of it, I started the difficulty on hard and it's pretty challenging at times but so much fun, I can't believe how it's been reviewed.

JaxJag

Banned
Playing Knack got me wondering, if this is what Sony approved what on earth were the games they rejected?

The gameplay is fine, it's shallow but responsive. But everything else from the main character design, level design, story, art style, everything just feels lifeless and bland.

Glad I got the game for free basically.

Playing Knack got me wondering, if this is what Sony approved what on earth were the games they rejected?

The gameplay is fine, it's shallow but responsive. But everything else from the main character design, level design, story, art style, everything just feels lifeless and bland.

Glad I got the game for free basically.

I'll give you that some of those complaints are valid, but the character design, art style, and story (to some degree, as it is relatively simplistic, but still solid) were awesome for me. Knack is actually one of my favorite new characters.

I'll give you that some of those complaints are valid, but the character design, art style, and story (to some degree, as it is relatively simplistic, but still solid) were awesome for me. Knack is actually one of my favorite new characters.

the one issue i have with knack is the voice. it's just not really kid friendly enough for me.

the one issue i have with knack is the voice. it's just not really kid friendly enough for me.

I don't see how it isn't kid friendly just because it isn't cutesy and/or higher pitched. Plus, it would have sounded quite out of place when Knack gets big, whereas I feel the deeper voice somehow works well even with small Knack.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow this game really is kind of hard. I don't remember the last modern game I died on the tutorial, let alone died repeatedly :lol

I like it so far! It's a good first impression.

Wow this game really is kind of hard. I don't remember the last modern game I died on the tutorial, let alone died repeatedly :lol

I like it so far! It's a good first impression.

I'm sure you'll find the gameplay lacking in progression eventually but yeah, if the game captures you enough in the begining, you'll most likely stay to finish it till the end.

Bebpo

Banned
Got up to 4-2 so far and unless it really nosedives in quality then the reviews were totally wrong. Game is simple to play but the challenge is what makes it awesome and really satisfying to play and succeed. Couple that with great graphics and a non-intrusive story and it's a very fun and hard to put down action platformer.

Seems like because the game requires patience, that reviewers when trying to rush through the game to meet launch review deadlines were repeatedly stonewalled, got frustrated, and gave it a terrible score. I mean it's not amazing, but it's certainly more in the 6-8/10 range than 3-6.

Wow so many satisfied gamers. Almost all of the impressions I have seen here and elsewhere have been really positive.

I hope the regular folks don't read the media reviews. They have been just unfair. Seems like a solid launch game.

Again I ask why the media bias against Sony?

Bebpo

Banned

I don't think it's any bias. Just if you try to speedrun the game under deadline pressure, the game will shut you down and make you very, very angry which leads to not having fun and giving bad reviews.

Imagine if Demon/Dark Souls reviews were like "you have a review due on this game in 2 days. Rush through it and write the refer ASAP" and reviewers instead of creeping/walking through areas looking around each corner were instead just running full speed slashing through every level and repeatedly dying. You'd get the same 3/10, 4/10 reviews I bet.

PBY

Banned
Wow so many satisfied gamers. Almost all of the impressions I have seen here and elsewhere have been really positive.

I hope the regular folks don't read the media reviews. They have been just unfair. Seems like a solid launch game.

The media bias isn't something that you can just throw out as a starting premise.

For me- I can see why many think Knack is a bad game. Bad story, bad art, limited evolution of the mechanics, repetitive, etc.

But- I like it, because theirs something very specific about the combat loop that has me hooked. But its a very particular thing that just clicked with me. Reviews are subjective opinions.

I'll admit... everytime I got to a part where I would die repeatedly, it would set me back to my checkpoint and eventually I would tell myself "I'm coming at this encounter wrong" It might have been that I was attacking the first enemy in the group when I should have been attacking the other, or just not dodging the correct way. It was always my fault and once I calmed down or approached it differently it worked. Sometimes rushing in, if the timing is right, you can just destroy... but that's just it. ALL about the timing and enemy patterns.

Derrick01

Banned
This is my first next gen experience so maybe I'm blown away too easy, but I really appreciate the graphics so far. The game really starts to shine in the first outdoor area where it's sunny. I also can't tell you how much playing a console game in 1080p finally means to me. It's soooo much easier on my poor eyes.

The media bias isn't something that you can just throw out as a starting premise.

For me- I can see why many think Knack is a bad game. Bad story, bad art, limited evolution of the mechanics, repetitive, etc.

But- I like it, because theirs something very specific about the combat loop that has me hooked. But its a very particular thing that just clicked with me. Reviews are subjective opinions.

I'm still really early into the game but given how people say the game doesn't really change much I can see why some would not like this. It is a simple game from a mechanic standpoint, like all you do is dodge and punch things. But I'm already seeing there's more to it at a strategic level than just that stuff. Even in the tutorial/first area I've had to scan several different enemies and their various attacks and dodge around them at the right time then hit when there's opening. In that way it kind of is Dark Souls lite because you do the exact same thing in that game, there's just more mechanics involved like blocking, parrying and all that.

I'm not going to accuse reviewers of being biased but I do need more information on their play style. Did they play on easy? I'm on hard and getting smoked already in 2-3 hits and like I said that's just in the tutorial. When there's an increased risk of death I find I'm less reckless when I play and focus more on strategy.

Pandacon

I started playing this last night, got up to the 4th chapter. Have to say I'm really enjoying it. I'm hopelessly clueless on how this game can get a 4/10 on some of those reviews, but hey, it won't be the first time reviewers have failed me.

PBY

Banned
This is my first next gen experience so maybe I'm blown away too easy, but I really appreciate the graphics so far. The game really starts to shine in the first outdoor area where it's sunny. I also can't tell you how much playing a console game in 1080p finally means to me. It's soooo much easier on my poor eyes.

I'm still really early into the game but given how people say the game doesn't really change much I can see why some would not like this. It is a simple game from a mechanic standpoint, like all you do is dodge and punch things. But I'm already seeing there's more to it at a strategic level than just that stuff. Even in the tutorial/first area I've had to scan several different enemies and their various attacks and dodge around them at the right time then hit when there's opening. In that way it kind of is Dark Souls lite because you do the exact same thing in that game, there's just more mechanics involved like blocking, parrying and all that.

I'm not going to accuse reviewers of being biased but I do need more information on their play style. Did they play on easy? I'm on hard and getting smoked already in 2-3 hits and like I said that's just in the tutorial. When there's an increased risk of death I find I'm less reckless when I play and focus more on strategy.

I'm playing on Hard as well, I'm on level 4? I think?

The strategies change with the enemies attacks, but the basic game wears on you. Walk, kill, walk, kill, boss, rinse repeat. Like I said I enjoy it, but its rough going to play more than a level or 2 at a time, at least for me.

Also I don't like the art, but thats a personal issue. Weirdly I'm liking this more than KZ though.

The strategies change with the enemies attacks, but the basic game wears on you. Walk, kill, walk, kill, boss, rinse repeat. Like I said I enjoy it, but its rough going to play more than a level or 2 at a time, at least for me.

Also I don't like the art, but thats a personal issue. Weirdly I'm liking this more than KZ though.

Can't most games of this nature be boiled down in that manner though? Yes there is a lack of puzzles, but as the game progresses there is some minor platforming and other things here and there that help deviate that in just the slightest, even if it's just Knack getting some different materials in his body, etc.

Grimsen

I'm still early in the game (3-1), but the game is good.

Controls are fun, the encounters are challenging, and Knack himself is a neat idea.

It seems like a case of peer pressure among game reviewers; they all seemed to have their idea made up prior to release, and none seemed to want to be the odd man out. Maybe an earlier build left a bad impression?

DigiMish

Just got to the city. I'm wondering if there's a lot more "cave" levels ahead because I'm pretty sick of seeing those.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the game.

Bebpo

Banned

The levels probably should've been about half the length.

The game does have variety. Each level introduces new enemy types with their own unique attack pattern and then builds in different groupings of enemies that require different strategies as the level progresses. Sometimes the levels introduce a new thing too like giant Knack or ice knack. Or trap switches or sliding ice. So it's not as if the game doesn't have the right amount of variety for an action platformer.

It's just that the stages go on for a while so the new stuff they introduce can be a bit repetitive by the end of the stage. I think cutting all the level lengths in half and making it a 5-6 hour game instead of a 10-12 hour one would probably have improved the pacing. I think they wanted to stretch it out so people wouldn't complain the game was so short and $60.

Yuterald

If somebody said this was Dark Souls for kids, would they be accurate?

Ugh, no, no, no. Enough with this "Dark Souls-lite" nonsense. It's the FURTHEST thing from Demon's/Dark Souls. Just because a game is relatively difficult on the harder settings doesn't automatically make it the "Dark Souls of...". What if I said something like, "Dynamite Headdy is the Dark Souls of Super Mario."? While this comparison makes more sense (because they're both 2D platformers) it still sounds fucking stupid, uneducated, and misinformed. (not yelling at you, just the person/people who said this to you, lol!)

Knack IS Crash Bandicoot without the cohesive, focused, tense platforming segments. Aside from a few "accessories" and costumes that can give Knack different abilities, you can jump, you can dash, and you can punch. That's it. It's a simple action/adventure game with a TON of Crash Bandicoot influences and philosophies (if you know the games well enough) and some simple platforming thrown into the mix. The enemy types and enemy placement are almost identical to how enemies were presented in Crash Bandicoot games. When you're not fighting in huge, empty arenas, you're being funneled into tight corridors with stationary enemies in the distance shooting/throwing projectiles and shit at you from afar. The enemy AI/behavior is strikingly similar to those games, it's crazy. I feel like few people are internalizing/seeing this, but it's as clear as day to me.

Don't care what the reviews said, i played the game for 2 hours at a friend's place (will get my PS4 tomorrow...) and i had a blast. Yes it's linear, repetitive maybe, but hella fun ! It's a great change from what is on the market today and a welcome addition to my PS4 library for sure. Can't wait !

5amshift

Banned
Beat it yesterday evening and had a few things to say about it.

The game is hard for no reason. No reason at all. The spike in difficulty is stupid and definitely dragged the game down for me. I loved Knack the character and the story (up until chapter 6) but I just got so fed up with the BS that I just kept skipping the scenes and progressing as fast as I could to just get the game done and over with. The platforming was great in it, and the brawling was great, it was just the health damage that made no sense.

Ugh, no, no, no. Enough with this "Dark Souls-lite" nonsense. It's the FURTHEST thing from Demon's/Dark Souls. Just because a game is relatively difficult on the harder settings doesn't automatically make it the "Dark Souls of...". What if I said something like, "Dynamite Headdy is the Dark Souls of Super Mario."? While this comparison makes more sense (because they're both 2D platformers) it still sounds fucking stupid, uneducated, and misinformed. (not yelling at you, just the person/people who said this to you, lol!)

I find that the combat of both Dark Souls and Knack emphasize pattern recognition, threat assessment, baiting and punishing, and maintaining good position. Failure to do any of those can lead to a very quick death. Both games are a bit light on checkpoints, requiring the player to replay mutliple fights after death.

Knack's systems are infinitely simpler than Dark Souls', though the way fights play out are very similar. Maybe it's just the way I play it. I have to try way harder at Knack than most other melee action games.

codhand

xFHvy4N.png

Ambient80

For all the bad scores that it got, I watched some stuff on Twitch and it looked really fun! When I get my PS4 I imagine I'll be grabbing this. Hard mode looked legitimately challenging.

WiCkEd_Co

Been playing this and having fun, last night I ask my non gaming wife to try out co op with me. She used the controller and I played with the Vita as my controller. Well it was a big mistake as she really got into it and now I am not allowed to progress any further unless she playing with me. I have been playing this more than KillZone at the moment and now I have to wait.

On a side note maybe related to this, I was surprised with a 6 pack of beer today after work. That is what I'm drinking now while I play KZ as she's making dinner. We will play Knack a bit tonight after we put the kids to bed.

Hope we can beat it before Friday when my Xbox One arrives.

Yuterald

I find that the combat of both Dark Souls and Knack emphasize pattern recognition, threat assessment, baiting and punishing, and maintaining good position. Failure to do any of those can lead to a very quick death. Both games are a bit light on checkpoints, requiring the player to replay mutliple fights after death.

Knack's systems are infinitely simpler than Dark Souls', though the way fights play out are very similar. Maybe it's just the way I play it. I have to try way harder at Knack than most other melee action games.

True, but I still feel like you can say the same for a lot of games out there. Can't deny that the "Dark Souls of..." phrase is thrown around, a lot. I personally find it annoying when I see/read it, hah!

Beat it yesterday evening and had a few things to say about it.

The game is hard for no reason. No reason at all. The spike in difficulty is stupid and definitely dragged the game down for me. I loved Knack the character and the story (up until chapter 6) but I just got so fed up with the BS that I just kept skipping the scenes and progressing as fast as I could to just get the game done and over with. The platforming was great in it, and the brawling was great, it was just the health damage that made no sense.
I think you're just bad at it :x

About at the end on normal, all my stuff carries over to hard right? I haven't even found enough pieces yet to make anything and I'm on 12-2.

Top Bottom