• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

After a few days with it, this is a solid launch game - my kids are loving playing through it so much that I've pretty much just had to watch. Regardless of score, it fits the niche that Cerny was going for - something that everybody can pick up and play in the family. The Co-op is also great - it's completely optional and the person playing robo-Knack does not in any way hinder the main player.

I find that the combat of both Dark Souls and Knack emphasize pattern recognition, threat assessment, baiting and punishing, and maintaining good position. Failure to do any of those can lead to a very quick death. Both games are a bit light on checkpoints, requiring the player to replay mutliple fights after death.

Knack's systems are infinitely simpler than Dark Souls', though the way fights play out are very similar. Maybe it's just the way I play it. I have to try way harder at Knack than most other melee action games.

This.

ascii42

Ugh, no, no, no. Enough with this "Dark Souls-lite" nonsense. It's the FURTHEST thing from Demon's/Dark Souls. Just because a game is relatively difficult on the harder settings doesn't automatically make it the "Dark Souls of...". What if I said something like, "Dynamite Headdy is the Dark Souls of Super Mario."? While this comparison makes more sense (because they're both 2D platformers) it still sounds fucking stupid, uneducated, and misinformed. (not yelling at you, just the person/people who said this to you, lol!)

Knack IS Crash Bandicoot without the cohesive, focused, tense platforming segments. Aside from a few "accessories" and costumes that can give Knack different abilities, you can jump, you can dash, and you can punch. That's it. It's a simple action/adventure game with a TON of Crash Bandicoot influences and philosophies (if you know the games well enough) and some simple platforming thrown into the mix. The enemy types and enemy placement are almost identical to how enemies were presented in Crash Bandicoot games. When you're not fighting in huge, empty arenas, you're being funneled into tight corridors with stationary enemies in the distance shooting/throwing projectiles and shit at you from afar. The enemy AI/behavior is strikingly similar to those games, it's crazy. I feel like few people are internalizing/seeing this, but it's as clear as day to me.
Yeah, you're definitely right about Crash Bandicoot, but the combat arenas with varying enemy types leading to combat puzzles reminds me of God of War in a way. The same way I would enter a room and say "okay, I've got to deal with two medusas, a minotaur, and an archer. How should I approach this", in Knack I enter an area an do pretty much the same, only the enemy types are different and the moveset is much more limited.

Cmagus

I am really enjoying this game alot its a ton of fun. I am doing my first play through on hard and its so challenging.

Yuterald

Yeah, you're definitely right about Crash Bandicoot, but the combat arenas with varying enemy types leading to combat puzzles reminds me of God of War in a way. The same way I would enter a room and say "okay, I've got to deal with two medusas, a minotaur, and an archer. How should I approach this", in Knack I enter an area an do pretty much the same, only the enemy types are different and the moveset is much more limited.

Yeah, I totally agree that the combat arenas have an emphasis on pattern recognition and threat assessment, but the core of the game shows more Cash DNA than anything else. It's definitely a weird hybrid of sorts.

DC1

Is there a new game plus option?

Kind of:
There is a "Continuation" in which you get to keep all of your gadgets and stones.
Use the continuation option to complete your stone sets to unlock forms of Knack
-- Note:
Collect various types of stones to create different types of Knack such as: Diamond Knack (the best and hardest to obtain), Vampire Knack or Sunstone Knack (I know I screwed this name up)...there are a few more.

The "New Game" option (After you completed the game once) allows you to play though the game with a select "Type" of Knack.
Note 2: I believe that your gadgets will reset when doing this option. Only do it when you are absolutely sure.... when you have obtained all that you want or need from the continuation option.

Hope this helps.

DC1

Very hard mode unlocked

Very hard is only unlocked after you beat the game on Hard. Of course you have the option to select the difficulty level when starting a new game.

The true NG+ is achieved through the Continuation.
"New Game" post completion is only worth while once you unlock different types of Knack.

vilmer_

Just beat the
7.5 boss
. This game is a solid 8/10 so far in my books. Really enjoying it so far, the reviews are going to turn a ton of people off of the game and it's a damn shame.

Rafterman

Banned
Really enjoying this game, having so much fun with it, this is why I don't listen to reviews anymore.

Yep, Knack has basically reaffirmed my opinion that review sites are less than useless. Besides Knack I have Injustice, Killzone, AC:BF, Resogun, Contrast, DCUO, and Blacklight, and I've played Knack more than any of them. I think I like it more now than when I started, which never would have happened had I cared about review sites.

HORRORSHØW

xFHvy4N.png
hahaha. that's great. Anyone know when Knack's Quest is releasing on Android?

ascii42

Yeah, I totally agree that the combat arenas have an emphasis on pattern recognition and threat assessment, but the core of the game shows more Cash DNA than anything else. It's definitely a weird hybrid of sorts.

Yeah, I believe Mark Cerny has specifically referred to Crash, God of War, and occasionally Katamari Damacy in interviews when trying to explain the game.

Eusis

Beat it. It's definitely a good, fun game even if it's not exceptional and probably not really worth $60 if it weren't for launch euphoria (and system bundles) and needed to be either trimmed in size or have more special abilities and whatnot thrown in, not like a game like DMC but like the special powerups in older platforms. As is I don't really get why it got as bad a reaction as it got with some, but it is kind of disingenuous to paint all critics as the same given some did give high marks or at least recommended it.

Kind of:
There is a "Continuation" in which you get to keep all of your gadgets and stones.
Use the continuation option to complete your stone sets to unlock forms of Knack
-- Note:
Collect various types of stones to create different types of Knack such as: Diamond Knack (the best and hardest to obtain), Vampire Knack or Sunstone Knack (I know I screwed this name up)...there are a few more.

The "New Game" option (After you completed the game once) allows you to play though the game with a select "Type" of Knack.
Note 2: I believe that your gadgets will reset when doing this option. Only do it when you are absolutely sure.... when you have obtained all that you want or need from the continuation option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - that sounds like what I was looking for.

I'm only on chapter 6, but I really doubt I'm gonna finish even one of the gadgets on this play through.

Completed it on hard mode, unlocked very hard. On very hard almost every attack one shots you, enemy attacks and projectiles are about 1.5x as fast, and hazards like spikes and moving platforms are also faster. You can still use superpowers to blow through almost any encounter, though.

Yoday

Knack reminds me of Demon's Souls in that most of the reviews are slamming the shit out of it, but gamers are mostly really enjoying it and finding that most of the people who reviewed it didn't seem to understand the game at all. Likewise, if there is a sequel to Knack, I predict much higher scores, even if it is largely the same style of game.

Just finished, last boss was fun as hell. I missed this type of game so much.

Hope they make a sequel. story was pretty shitty and aimed at kids but it had its charms.

Anyone see Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb's review? http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/knack-review/1900-606/

I cant wrap my head around why all these reviews are shitting on this game. I mean, it's not a 5 star game, I get that it get's repetitive but still, 2 stars? He's been talking about how terrible it is on the past few Bombin in the AM's as well. I'm really enjoying the game and so are a lot of you obviously. I just can't figure out how most of these reviewers think it's so awful.

Maybe I just needed to rant, I'm diggin the game. For a launch title I think it's really solid. If you like that style of a game, I don't see a reason you couldn't have fun with it.

PBY

Banned
Anyone see Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb's review? http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/knack-review/1900-606/

I cant wrap my head around why all these reviews are shitting on this game. I mean, it's not a 5 star game, I get that it get's repetitive but still, 2 stars? He's been talking about how terrible it is on the past few Bombin in the AM's as well. I'm really enjoying the game and so are a lot of you obviously. I just can't figure out how most of these reviewers think it's so awful.

Maybe I just needed to rant, I'm diggin the game. For a launch title I think it's really solid. If you like that style of a game, I don't see a reason you couldn't have fun with it.
Opinions.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Still seems like a lot of reviewers opinions are going to throw this game off. I think it deserves to do somewhat well (which I guess I have no clue how it's doing, haven't looked).
Like he said, opinions. I think some of you are being way too generous. The combat, beyond being repetitive, is also boring and way too frequent. There's not much in here to change the pace either. A 'stealth' mission in the garden, a glass Knack segment... oh, those short platform-timing sequences with Ryder's elevator pads. Can't think of much else.

It looks like he played through most of it on easy, most people here are playing through the entire game on hard.

Beat the game earlier today on Normal

Had quite a bit of fun with it

Might play it through again to get more unlockables

Not an amazing game for sure but I don't have any major gripes with it besides perhaps the fixed camera

I'm on chapter 7 or so and this is like the first game that's ever pissed me off but never made me want to quit. When I die, it's usually my fault. Having some enemies with projectiles shoot you when they're offscreen is bullshit, but not difficult to deal with. It's a solid 8/10 for me right now. Next to Resogun, it's my favorite launch title.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anyone else have freezing issues with this damn game.....I freezes every 45 minutes it seems....only game I own out of 7 to do so....I hope it's not my console

Alec

Beat it on Hard, first playthrough. Was wanting to kill myself over the difficulty until I started unlocking gadgets which made the game a little easier (thank Christ).

Then I see that a Very Hard mode is unlocked, and it doesn't carry over any gadgets. And the checkpoint system is godawful. Like...why? Seriously, fuck this game.

Will probably still try to platinum it.

I like it a lot; I have to drag myself away from it each time I sit down and play , lol. I really can't fathom how it could review so poorly; was it Joystiq that gave it 1.5/5? They should be ashamed.

Krammy

Like a lot of people here, I'm absolutely loving the game and don't get all the negativity it got. A lot of people will have my butt for saying this, but it reminds me of playing Crash back in the day. The game is completely different, I know, it's more of a walk ahead, fight hordes of enemies, repeat, instead of a larger focus on linear platforming, but I'll be damned if I don't feel like a kid again.

Also those beetles with the drill pincers in the first stages are some of the best enemies I've seen in recent memory. Reminded me heavily of something Nintendo would come up with.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Am I missing a lot of treasure rooms or are they just distributed really unevenly? It seems like a lot of chapters have most of them in the beginning or end as opposed to evenly divided, but there's a good chance I'm just not observant enough.

On that topic, I don't think I'm ever going to unlock any of the alternate Knacks at the rate I'm finding pieces.

SRTtoZ

cross posting from the PS4 OT. I love this game!

I expect Knack to do pretty well sales wise since it seems to be the "second game" that everyone is buying with their PS4. Every stream I watch, every person ive spoken to in real life all have purchased KZ and Knack at least. If that's the case and they end up with a Knack 2 at some point (one could hope), they should really add things like more abilities, puzzles, ways for the player to manipulate Knack to solve the puzzles too, like shedding all your relics at any time you want, changing to wood, ice etc. If they let the player control those things this game has some serious staying power. Maybe Shu is reading this :D

As a launch game overall I am more than happy with what we got though, so don't think this is me bashing it. I love this game.

imperium

Am I missing a lot of treasure rooms or are they just distributed really unevenly? It seems like a lot of chapters have most of them in the beginning or end as opposed to evenly divided, but there's a good chance I'm just not observant enough.

On that topic, I don't think I'm ever going to unlock any of the alternate Knacks at the rate I'm finding pieces.

I just beat the game earlier this evening & I ended up with all the gadgets except one, which is missing one peace. I'm pretty sure I missed a chest when I accidentally triggered a cut scene. I believe I completed my first gadget on
level 9-1 when I got the sunstone multiplier
l And don't worry about the alternate knack pieces, you won't find more than a handful your first time thru the game.

I expected it to be ultra hard from hearing everyone say its hard (so I amp the difficulty up to hard and unlocked very hard after) once you understand all the enemy patterns it becomes ultra easy but it's a very enjoyable game

SRTtoZ

I expected it to be ultra hard from hearing everyone say its hard (so I amp the difficulty up to hard and unlocked very hard after) once you understand all the enemy patterns it becomes ultra easy but it's a very enjoyable game

Don't take this comparison the wrong way but a lot like Demons Souls/Dark Souls. If you go in button mashing you will get fucked up every time. You need to learn enemy patterns and be patient and most encounters aren't that hard.

His one liners are cheesy and his voice caught me off guard, but i'm loving this game so far. Only about 4 chapters in, i'm hoping to this game doesn't take a nose dive for the worst because the reviews would have me expecting such. ah well, it's really fun anyway

I really think after reading peoples impressions on this game that this might be a day one purchase for me. The reviews made it out to be awful, but most people seem to be enjoying it?

Eusis

I really think after reading peoples impressions on this game that this might be a day one purchase for me. The reviews made it out to be awful, but most people seem to be enjoying it?
I feel more that it got railed against harder than it really deserved. It's a fun game and there's way worse for launch titles, but like Kameo or Luigi's Mansion it probably won't be something cared about too much once launch window passes.

Top Bottom