• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

Sioen

So I'm looking for a good action-adventure game (already played ac4) and thinking between Knack or Lego marvel super heroes.. The reviews have put me off somewhat but reading this thread has made me feel a bit better about this game. Anyone played them both?

bebop242

Just finished on hard. Over all it was good. A bit long in the tooth though, around chapter 7-9 the game became tedious but then got better towards the end. Needs a lot more variety but overall deserving of better review scores. I agree with the 7 to 7.5 consensus in this thread. I hope they continue with sequels.

PBY

Banned
Just finished on hard. Over all it was good. A bit long in the tooth though, around chapter 7-9 the game became tedious but then got better towards the end. Needs a lot more variety but overall deserving of better review scores. I agree with the 7 to 7.5 consensus in this thread. I hope they continue with sequels.

I agree, except I think the review scores are fine. I felt that the gameplay can only sustain about 6-7 chapters. For me, after chapter 6 the game falls off a cliff. I just beat 9 and I'm struggling to finish the game.

Bumhead

Banned
Oh God, this is depressing. I just got to 10-1 hoping it woudl soon be over. Then I read the reply and felt a wave of sadness.

Heh!

I've generally been enjoying the game but it's longer than I was anticipating. By quite a margin, actually.

The checkpoints have been grinding me down as well. I'm playing on hard and the amount of time I've spent travelling back to areas or re-paying 2, 3, 4 combat sequences before I'm back to where I last died has definitely inflated my play time.

I agree, except I think the review scores are fine. I felt that the gameplay can only sustain about 6-7 chapters. For me, after chapter 6 the game falls off a cliff. I just beat 9 and I'm struggling to finish the game.

Oh God, this is depressing. I just got to 10-1 hoping it woudl soon be over. Then I read the reply and felt a wave of sadness.

Really? I thought that some of the later chapters were paced really well. 10 is super short and 11 & 13 were great, imo. 13 in particular is one of those chapters, like chapter 4, that really shows glimmers of what the game could become if they develop those ideas/implementations more. Just stick with it!

Kurod

Banned
About 60 minutes, and then you get to play an incredibly horrible boss battle!

I found the boss battle to be great. If people are having a rough time I'll give a quick tip that will make him much MUCH easier.

Try to save up at least 2 sunstone attacks for the final boss. As you're walking towards your giant relics right before getting hit you can press circle to power up (gives you temporary invincibility) and after a couple of steps activate your tornado attack for more invincibility. With this you can bee-line straight ahead both times.

So I'm looking for a good action-adventure game (already played ac4) and thinking between Knack or Lego marvel super heroes.. The reviews have put me off somewhat but reading this thread has made me feel a bit better about this game. Anyone played them both?

I'm in the same boat.

Just pushing for Lego. But advice from someone who has played both would be great.

iratA

Enjoyed this and I've lost all faith in reviewers now. Some of the textures, colors and lighting in this game are sublime. Oh and draw distance is great too. Sure the game gets pretty repetitive at times but this game has a charm that just keeps me coming back. 7 - 8 out of 10 from me. Would love to see a sequel with a little more variety.

Raoh

be sure to max up your Sunstone batteries before entring 13-4. On my first play through, I got my ass whooped.

Knowing this on HARD, I decided to be singy and conserve my Sunstones max until i meat up with that boss. I kept Three for 13-4 and used the rest for 13-5

Nope. On 13-5 now and barely half a sunstone meter filled.

tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-there.gif

LOL, thanks...

If there is a knack 2 and they stick to the linear corridor design give us at least branching paths and the enviornment design could be better (no more city areas) my favorite levels were the lava, and the stealth level. really good stuff

Heh!

I've generally been enjoying the game but it's longer than I was anticipating. By quite a margin, actually.

The checkpoints have been grinding me down as well. I'm playing on hard and the amount of time I've spent travelling back to areas or re-paying 2, 3, 4 combat sequences before I'm back to where I last died has definitely inflated my play time.

This game has the most God awful checkpointing of anything I've ever played

alterno69

Banned
I have played half of Knack and most of Lego, both coop with my son on normal. Enjoyed Knack a lot more. Lego is too repetitive and since i'm not a huge comic fan i didn't care much about the Marvel license. I feel in this game in particular you're doing the same stuff over and over again, like in Knack, but the "puzzles" in Lego are more annying than fun, usually involve destroying everything in sight until you find something to put together that will let you open some door to move on, this is basically the whole game besides the sidequest which are also really simple stuff.

While Knack is 90% combat, the combat while simple is actually challenging, unlike Lego, and at least in coop i was never bored when i had to repeat sections after being killed by an enemy. The graphics in Knack are better also.

I don't know, i feel like Lego games are good only if you really love th source material and even then, if you played one you've played them all basically, Knack is trying something new and old at the same time, despite the abysmal scores it is actually a really polished game, i'm constantly getting stuck between lego pieces in Marvel.

Those are my two cents, FWIW my son seems to be enjoying Knack more than Lego too.

Nick

I'm half way through this game and I'm hating it. How shit like this gets released and hyped is beyond me. I want to finish it because I like finishing what I've started, but I feel like I've stepped into 1995 when I boot this disc. Sure, it's really pretty. It's just a waste of the $40 I paid for it.

PaulloDEC

I'm half way through this game and I'm hating it. How shit like this gets released and hyped is beyond me. I want to finish it because I like finishing what I've started, but I feel like I've stepped into 1995 when I boot this disc. Sure, it's really pretty. It's just a waste of the $40 I paid for it.

The only place I've seen Knack being hyped is right here on GAF. I feel like the people hyping it have been pretty forthcoming about how much of a throwback it is too, so I can't imagine you put down your hard-earned thinking otherwise.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So after watching a playthrough of the first couple of chapters I used some amazon credit and took a shot at this.

First impressions jive with the idea this was savaged too much by reviews. One thing that sticks out to me is that the enemy encounter design is surprisingly good and enemy placement is thoughtful. It's a throwback, but there's certainly the benefit of years of subsequent design experience evident in some ways.

I really like the way it looks, but then, I never agreed with the opinions it looks generic. It pretty much looks like Imagi's CG Astro Boy film. It's clean, nice textures. I was surprised by Knack's "brawler" personality and voice, and actually like it.

I'll have to see how the checkpoint situation pans out through to the end. Based on the first 3 chapters, well, heh... frankly I caught myself thinking "wait, I am expecting a modern Uncharted affair with checkpoints after every kill. I am being challenged, time to wake up."

What era did you start playing games? I'm not trying to be snarky, just curious. If you've grown up playing games from say, late PS2/Xbox360 era onward, you'd likely be more accustomed to a more generous CP system so I could see how you would feel that the few-and-far-between CPs of Knack could seem archaic. Personally, I'm a bit older-- or rather I'm a bit older and started playing games at a very young age-- and so punishing CPs and difficulty were fairly standard fare. There's still a lot to get used to, but I feel that once you find the rhythm that the game is trying to convey, it's really not so bad and actually quite rewarding.

The fact you feel like you've stepped into 1995 is kind of the point, and if that's not the game you thought it was I don't know what to tell you other than to sell it and move on.

I found the boss battle to be great. If people are having a rough time I'll give a quick tip that will make him much MUCH easier.

Try to save up at least 2 sunstone attacks for the final boss. As you're walking towards your giant relics right before getting hit you can press circle to power up (gives you temporary invincibility) and after a couple of steps activate your tornado attack for more invincibility. With this you can bee-line straight ahead both times.

Yikes. Wish I knew that. Would have saved me the dozen or so times dying on the guy.

I have really mixed feelings on this game. I enjoyed the combat a lot, and felt that nearly every time I died, it was my careless fault (except for bosses, the hidden "traps" in the jungle chapter, and a lot of first encounters with enemies). However, the "platforming" is dumb, and pointless, and should either be excised or enhanced. Then, there are the boss fights that are uniformly terrible. And, the story is atrocious, the music is boring, and the visuals seem so bland. And, it's long.

I enjoyed what I played, because of the combat, and, most importantly when compared to reviewers, because I broke up the game in many smaller chunks. But, there's so much wrong with the game that makes me retroactively dislike it. I think it just goes to show how much presentation affects a game.

PBY

Banned
Yikes. Wish I knew that. Would have saved me the dozen or so times dying on the guy.

I have really mixed feelings on this game. I enjoyed the combat a lot, and felt that nearly every time I died, it was my careless fault (except for bosses, the hidden "traps" in the jungle chapter, and a lot of first encounters with enemies). However, the "platforming" is dumb, and pointless, and should either be excised or enhanced. Then, there are the boss fights that are uniformly terrible. And, the story is atrocious, the music is boring, and the visuals seem so bland. And, it's long.

I enjoyed what I played, because of the combat, and, most importantly when compared to reviewers, because I broke up the game in many smaller chunks. But, there's so much wrong with the game that makes me retroactively dislike it. I think it just goes to show how much presentation affects a game.

This is my opinion pretty much word for word. I think the reviews weren't that far off.

just beat it first go round on hard. i really like this damn game and i hope maybe someday there will be a sequel. probably gonna do another playthrough or two to get some gems/crystals and beat it on very hard. i think i just about put together every device, i love them, no longer swinging for the fences to hit a secret spot is amazing. and the combo meter is pretty damn fun.

anddo0

Beat the game yesterday. The last two chapters are visually impressive. I enjoyed my first run, now it's time to try the extra content and additional playthroughs. Sony has the ground work for something special. If we do get a Knack 2, there's no doubt it will be one of the most polished games out there.

About 60 minutes, and then you get to play an incredibly horrible boss battle!

I don't get the last boss battle argument. I didn't find it tough, or a pain to play. I thought it would be frustrating, but was more challenged by one of the games earlier bosses.

Argh, I'm really tempted to get Knack but I can't decide! I can get it of £40 on Amazon with my bonus voucher code thingy, which is a lot of money, but I think it might be a nice next-gen showpiece, I can play it with my girlfriend and I can chill out and play it on my Vita...

What do you reckon? Convince me, lol!

leng jai

Don't like this much - I'll probably return it before I even clock the game. It's just too repetitive both in gameplay and visuals. The artists must have had a serious fetish for rocks. While the difficulty is punishing it's just too simplistic to feel rewarding.

Bumhead

Banned

Yep, it's pretty irritating.

I love me some old school PS1 era platforming as much as the next guy, but the checkpoint system in Knack is really frustrating. On hard the game is a genuine challenge, and you're never more than 2 hits away from death. I just don't think having to repeat numerous combat sections before you reach where you died last time really stacks up as good game design anymore. I'm not sure that just being "old school" is enough to justify a free pass, either. I re- played Crash Bandicoot on my Vita recently and can't recall ever being as annoyed with the checkpoints in that as I am with Knack.

Ein Bear

I think this is exactly why I'm loving the game so much. I'm loving how much of a throwback it is.

FireCloud

I finished on normal the other day and ended up really enjoying Knack. I genuinely find it hard to believe some of the reviews that ripped the game to shreds. Perhaps given the limited time they had to rush a review out to beat their competitors they rushed headlong into each encounter without giving thought to the order the enemies should be taken out or remembering each enemy's attack pattern. (or perhaps there was some other agenda for rating Knack so low)

I haven't made up my mind about how I feel about the check point system. Does it seem unfair sometimes? Sure. But I believe it was meant to make the deaths in the game mean more. It surely tempered how I approached some of the series of encounters.

Did I have fun with the game? Yes, lots. I look forward to going back and replaying on Hard.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Depends. If they enjoy challenges and doesn't mind changing their approach if what they tried last time didn't work... Yes If they get frustrated failing by doing the same thing over and over... No

I hope SCEJ has some thick skin and can hear their fans over all of the negativity in the press. Though based on past experience with Folklore, those horrible reviews may have scattered Knack 's relics for good.

the game gets better when you learn the patterns of the enemies and decide to take them on either by priority or pecking order

I'm currently at 12-1 in very hard (using Diamond Knack), and I find that I am doing better now when compared with my 2nd time playing as normal.
Though i am a better manager of my Sunstone meter, knowing what to expect when I will need them for a boss area and all that.

Reviews tend to forget replaybility and Knack is game that is enjoyably replayable.

the game gets better when you learn the patterns of the enemies and decide to take them on either by priority or pecking order

I'm currently at 12-1 in very hard (using Diamond Knack), and I find that I am doing better now when compared with my 2nd time playing as normal.
Though i am a better manager of my Sunstone meter, knowing what to expect when I will need them for a boss area and all that.

Reviews tend to forget replaybility and Knack is game that is enjoyably replayable.

I see you didn't wait for Gaikai then :3

Elvick

Banned
I finished on normal the other day and ended up really enjoying Knack. I genuinely find it hard to believe some of the reviews that ripped the game to shreds. Perhaps given the limited time they had to rush a review out to beat their competitors they rushed headlong into each encounter without giving thought to the order the enemies should be taken out or remembering each enemy's attack pattern. (or perhaps there was some other agenda for rating Knack so low)

I haven't made up my mind about how I feel about the check point system. Does it seem unfair sometimes? Sure. But I believe it was meant to make the deaths in the game mean more. It surely tempered how I approached some of the series of encounters.

Did I have fun with the game? Yes, lots. I look forward to going back and replaying on Hard.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Depends. If they enjoy challenges and doesn't mind changing their approach if what they tried last time didn't work... Yes If they get frustrated failing by doing the same thing over and over... No

I hope SCEJ has some thick skin and can hear their fans over all of the negativity in the press. Though based on past experience with Folklore, those horrible reviews may have scattered Knack 's relics for good.
My theory is they shoved it on easy, powered through it to meet deadlines and then wrote the review. I'd probably hate the game too if I played on easy and was aiming toward a deadline.

That's why I don't like professional reviews. Well, one of the many reasons.

But seriously, how can consumers care about their opinions? They're formed by environments that we as players just do not have. No one is forcing us to play the games we do, we do them because we want to. And we don't have a deadline to hit in beating it either. We play when we want to.

Professional reviews are just silly.

drproton

Yep, it's pretty irritating.

I love me some old school PS1 era platforming as much as the next guy, but the checkpoint system in Knack is really frustrating. On hard the game is a genuine challenge, and you're never more than 2 hits away from death. I just don't think having to repeat numerous combat sections before you reach where you died last time really stacks up as good game design anymore. I'm not sure that just being "old school" is enough to justify a free pass, either. I re- played Crash Bandicoot on my Vita recently and can't recall ever being as annoyed with the checkpoints in that as I am with Knack.
I'm not sure I'd enjoy it as much if I could just barrel through every encounter knowing eventually I'd get through. If anything I thought the checkpoints were too generous. There isn't much tension without the risk of loss; in this case, progression.

Most reviewers agreed that it wasn't enjoyably playable in the first place.

It's packaged with every PS4 in Japan. At least it will get into people's hands that way so they won't be turned off by reviews.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
After more play time I'm honestly enjoying the combat. It's more simplistic than it could be. But I'm getting a Ghouls & Ghosts vibe as I go along; every enemy can be deadly, memorizing sequences is the key, etc.

My main feeling so far is that there's a great foundation for a far more sophisticated Knack 2 here. Taking turns playing with my SO and we both agree: one can imagine Platinum games having developed Knack, and they would have retained the basic level design and such. But there would be a lot of nice systems layered over it and depth to explore.

FireCloud

LOL, it's so true! Knack is enabling the humans to perform
Goblin Genocide

When you really think about it,
Gandahar is just looking out to preserve his people from oblivion

Funny you mention that. I was thinking the same thing while playing especially during the
conversation between Gundahar and Charlotte.

I can't remember what happened to
Gundahar
? I remember him
flying off after the boss fight at the end of chapter 7.
Could he be back if there was a sequel?

Anyone had the game crash on them and completely lock up their PS4?
It just happened to me in chapter 4-2. I had to pull the plug out on the PS4 as it completely froze the system.

I'm not sure I even want to continue playing now. I wasn't enjoying the game very much and the possibility of it breaking my PS4 is worrisome.

Elvick

Banned
It just happened to me in chapter 4-2. I had to pull the plug out on the PS4 as it completely froze the system.

I'm not sure I even want to continue playing now. I wasn't enjoying the game very much and the possibility of it breaking my PS4 is worrisome.
Games don't just break your system.

And no that didn't happen to me. Your PS4 probably froze because it had problems itself, which had nothing at all to do with Knack.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I certainly experienced my share of frustration at some of the checkpoint locations, but in hindsight I can't really say any of them were really unfair. Even on Hard difficulty, I'd still say that none of the checkpoint locations in Knack were really any worse than some in games like God of War, for example. Crucially, you could always learn from a previous mistake, adjust, and make incremental progress.

I also thought the boss battles got better as the game progressed. The last couple in the final chapter were nicely tuned to seem insurmountable at first but give you that Eureka moment when you figure out the right approach. Didn't even need Sunstones ultimately to beat those encounters.

Could he be back if there was a sequel?
Definitely set up that way. He slinks away after your boss battle with him.

Games don't just break your system.

And no that didn't happen to me. Your PS4 probably froze because it had problems itself, which had nothing at all to do with Knack.

Games might not break the system, but unplugging it can't be good for it.

The PS4 had only be switched on for an hour, I've had no issues with it locking up or crashing in any other game (except for BF4).
I'm putting down to Knack.

iratA

Yep the game has locked up my PS4 multiple times. No other PS4 game has locked my machine up. If you Google 'Knack freezing' you'll find plenty of people with this problem.

I suggest go to the 'settings' menu of your PS4, then to 'network' and uncheck the box that connects to the internet. This stopped all my freezing problems.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just beat chapter 3 and the game attempted to save, then it spit out a "corrupted save" error. If I quit, will it start up a new save? I really don't want to lose my progress.

ElfArmy177

Just had to watch the ending on youtube... After attempting the final boss 6 times I just couldn't take it anymore. Game is decent, but I agree with it being about a 5-6. There is no thought process to this game at all... You die in 1-2 hits so you.... replay the same area over... and over.. and over... and over.... and................ over......

Hit the enemy as fast as you can and just jump all over hitting the others with your "one" attack or maybe even a jump attack, and then hope your slow ass character dodges out of the way... but wait, there is a cool down or more like an unresponsiveness to the dodging so your fucked after you dodge the first time.

Oh well, Game was ok, time to trade it in now. I really hope they make the next knack a third person style game. So much detail in some of the environments and its all lost with its "god of war" style camera.

hawk2025

Just had to watch the ending on youtube... After attempting the final boss 6 times I just couldn't take it anymore. Game is decent, but I agree with it being about a 5-6. There is no thought process to this game at all... You die in 1-2 hits so you.... replay the same area over... and over.. and over... and over.... and................ over......

Hit the enemy as fast as you can and just jump all over hitting the others with your "one" attack or maybe even a jump attack, and then hope your slow ass character dodges out of the way... but wait, there is a cool down or more like an unresponsiveness to the dodging so your fucked after you dodge the first time.

Oh well, Game was ok, time to trade it in now. I really hope they make the next knack a third person style game. So much detail in some of the environments and its all lost with its "god of war" style camera.

Yeah... you were playing it wrong.

You are supposed to do the opposite of "hit the enemy as fast as you can". In fact, the game punishes you for rushing into encounters.

ElfArmy177

Yeah... you were playing it wrong.

You are supposed to do the opposite of "hit the enemy as fast as you can". In fact, the game punishes you for rushing into encounters.

Eh, couldn't have played it too wrong if I got to the end boss lol. Like I said, game was decent but for the love of god there was no thought put into the combat of this game.. like at all.

Top Bottom