• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

rawd

I think close to giving up trying to get Diamond knack before attempting a very hard run...

I'm bored farming and want the challenge

I dont' think I'm going to finish this game. I came into it open minded since I was really hyped to play it and it was okay at first but now at 7 chapters in, I feel like the game has run it's course. The repetitive music and gameplay are putting me into a bored state too frequently.

For the amount of brawling that you do, there's too few moves to spice up the gameplay. Every encounter which again is far too often involves the same 3 hit punch, dodge>punch, homing attack or a crystal move. I'd like it if it were less fighting, more platforming and less generic locales. The city level is blander than a Krasdale cereal box. The music is again, terrible in this game. It's literally the same tracks playing over and over in different levels and they are way too mellow.

I see Sly 4 on sale digtally for $10.00. I think I'm going there.

It is weird but games last gen that had HORRID judder like Fat Princess and LBP, I just turned my TV to its 120Hz setting, aka mild soap opera setting, and it honestly fixed everything. Maybe a tiny bit of input lag but judder in those above mentioned games was unbearable on my 42 inch.

How bad is judder in this?

Judder?

There is none. The only framerate dropping you will find is when you do a super move.

I haven't experienced framerate drops at any other time.

Bebpo

Banned
Was speed running a 2nd run and finished all the gadgets and unlocked my first form by about 4-1. Don't think I'll play anymore. Even speed running it's a decently long game and it probably took me a couple hours to get through the first 3 chapters skipping cutscenes and rushing them.

Fun game, flawed, but a good start for the franchise. Sequel needs:

1) Online co-op

2) Being able to switch forms at any time and each form having unique moves/abilities and puzzles and platforming that make use of those abilities.

3) Being able to control your growth a bit like Katamari instead of the size of your knack being solely dependent on a scripted game telling you what size you should be at every part of the level. Let the player grow REALLY BIG if they play awesome-ly/find secrets and reap the satisfaction of destroying things. Make some secrets each level that require a certain size to reward players who play really well.

4) More variety and open-ness to the levels. Let players explore the city a bit like a Ratchet and Clank game. Ratchet does open-levels really well and is a good reference point. Have more platforming, add in more and deeper puzzles.

5) More combat choices. Add in combos and various moves like DMC to spice up the combat.

6) More unlockables. Give players new abilities every few levels. Some story-based, some hidden to change up the gameplay and keep it fresh.

What Knack 1 already does great:

1) Enemy variety - there's tons of well-animated, great character model enemies each with their own unique attack pattern and charm. I love how they have multiple layers of clothing and each hit changes their model. Very cool.

2) Core combat and challenge. It works, it's fun.

3) Graphics. Looks great, but Knack 2 should aim for 60fps or push the visuals even more and lock it at 30fps.

4) Characters. While the story is rushed and the characters are under-developed, they still did a good job at having a like-able Uncharted Kids type cast, which is better than most games with extremely unlike-able no character personalities.

I dont' think I'm going to finish this game. I came into it open minded since I was really hyped to play it and it was okay at first but now at 7 chapters in, I feel like the game has run it's course. The repetitive music and gameplay are putting me into a bored state too frequently.

For the amount of brawling that you do, there's too few moves to spice up the gameplay. Every encounter which again is far too often involves the same 3 hit punch, dodge>punch, homing attack or a crystal move. I'd like it if it were less fighting, more platforming and less generic locales. The city level is blander than a Krasdale cereal box. The music is again, terrible in this game. It's literally the same tracks playing over and over in different levels and they are way too mellow.

I see Sly 4 on sale digtally for $10.00. I think I'm going there.

Fwiw, the city level (7) is the low point of the game. Pretty much everyone was feeling burnt out by then. Even 8-1/8-2 feel like it's dragging. Picks up again by 8-3 and has some good parts before the end though there's no real "highs" (a lot of people really like the last level, but I thought it was fun however just more of the same). It's probably worth pushing through. Also the game is a lot better when you take a break for a few days and come back to it. Because of the repetition it's totally not a game for marathon play on 1st run (hence probably where some of the really low review scores came from).

Smokey

I started on Hard today, and am on Chapter 3-1. A few questions:

-In the trophies menu, when it says complete a chapter doing x... Does it mean all of chapter 3 for example, or complete chapter 3-1 doing the required task?

-What is diamond knack and how do I get him? Reading the last few pages I keep seeing this mentioned, but I don't remember it being brought up in the game (yet)?

FireCloud

I just finished the game on normal difficulty and had one question...

How in the world does this game deserve a 3/10!?

I thought those kind of scores were reserved for broken games. Knack is definitely not broken. My only gripe would be that the camera sometimes would not show your attacker. That could be a pain but that didn't happen very frequently.

I thought the game was challenging and enjoyed how the simple combat meant you really had to know each of the enemy's fighting style. Most of my deaths could be attributed to my impatience.

I completed two gadgets and was very close on the others. I'm not typically a completionist but will probably go back and see how many of the other collectibles I can get later on more because I enjoyed the combat than for the collectibles themselves.

I enjoyed Knack and if I had to give it a score I'd give it a 8.5/10.

PaulloDEC

4) Characters. While the story is rushed and the characters are under-developed, they still did a good job at having a like-able Uncharted Kids type cast, which is better than most games with extremely unlike-able no character personalities.

This might be one of the most eyebrow-raising things for me in regards to the reviews for Knack. We're obviously not dealing with Pixar-level storytelling here, but I feel like the characters are all interesting and likeable enough for me to want to follow their adventures. It's certainly no worse than dozens of other games I've played, many of which raked in much higher review scores than Knack did.

Granted I'm only half-way through the game so far, so I guess something horrible and character-destroying might occur later.

RT17

Banned
How likely is it that this will be on PS+ over Christmas?

People are selling their bundle copies on Ebay for £35ish new, and I'm tempted to jump in for that price.

NateDrake

People are selling their bundle copies on Ebay for £35ish new, and I'm tempted to jump in for that price.

I doubt Sony will be giving Knack as a PS+ freebie this early on as that would be a big middle finger to those who bought the game for full price just 5 weeks prior.

jwk94

Not likely. Remember how sure people were about PSAS coming to PS+ soon?

It probably won't show up until sometime this Spring/Summer when there's a games drought and they release it to everyone as a way of attempting to fill the gaps.

Fwiw, the city level (7) is the low point of the game. Pretty much everyone was feeling burnt out by then. Even 8-1/8-2 feel like it's dragging. Picks up again by 8-3 and has some good parts before the end though there's no real "highs" (a lot of people really like the last level, but I thought it was fun however just more of the same). It's probably worth pushing through. Also the game is a lot better when you take a break for a few days and come back to it. Because of the repetition it's totally not a game for marathon play on 1st run (hence probably where some of the really low review scores came from).

100% agree. Also worth noting that platforming and just some plain ol weird/fun stuff happen a lot more from chapter 8 on.

I felt like knack started strong... hit a lull... and then builds up to a great end.

That's my main issue with the game, the repetition isn't a problem because virtually every game has you essentially doing the same task over and over but in here the depth of the gameplay is weak so you essentially keep doing the same attacks over and over. couple that with a bunch of enemy wave sequences and that boring background music it makes it hard for me to plow through the game.
I agree with everyone saying it deserves a sequel though. I feel like with a few changes here and there this game can become a really good franchise.

NateDrake

Is there a way to know which Chapter I may have missed a gadget? I missed 5 in my initial play & would like to get them but don't want to play the entire game again just to find them. Tips?

Kurod

Banned
Just finished my very hard playthrough and I see I'm missing the "King of Adventure" trophy for my platinum. I can't believed I missed some chests...

Just finished my very hard playthrough and I see I'm missing the "King of Adventure" trophy for my platinum. I can't believed I missed some chests...

There's a total sneakfuck chest in 4-2, the first Stealth Knack mission. Towards the end of your "Kill 20 Robots" mission, there's an obvious breakable wall on your way to the main gate-looking area. Typically you'll hit your 20th guy right after and it'll pop a cutscene and then you'll be in a different part of the level. This is what keeps you from that other chest. After the first chest, along the outside wall of the castle/palace and past the main gate with rocketmen and robot, there's an additional breakable wall with a chest. It'll have a robot parked right out in front of it that you'll have to kill so make sure that it isn't the last one you need else that cutscene will pop.

Dunno if that was the one you were missing, but it was definitely mine :\ There are actually a couple places in the game where getting to a chest is preempted because you crossed an invisible line that popped a cutscene and took you to a different part of the level.

PaulloDEC

I'd really like to know how the game decides what you'll find in each chest. I've been waiting on the final piece of the Time Dilator for about the last three or four chapters, and not just have I not found it, but seemingly none of the ten or so other people in my friends list have either.

I'm getting showered in 4-star Sunstone relics and 5-star Emerald relics, though. Very weird.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Anyone feel bad for the goblins?
Especially after the 1st major boss.

"Typical globlin talk".
The whole human-goblin relationship was awkward.

Caode

I was on the fence about buying Knack but I took the jump last night and bought it on the PS Store, I'm having fun with it so far, not the most complex game ever, fairly simple but it's still got a challenge to it at the end of the day. I'm enjoying it for what it is and I definitely don't regret buying it.

Anybody encounter a chest bug where a chest you know you opened suddenly was closed and lootable again?

I'm in 7-1 (second playthrough) and I farmed the first chest you come to for my 9th diamond. I just fired up the game again after being away visiting family and I took a peek at that chest (habit, I guess) and it was closed and lootable but I still had 9/10 diamonds. No idea what happened but I'm farming it for my 10th right now so I can be done with chests altogether! Weird...

Anyone feel bad for the goblins?
Especially after the 1st major boss.

"Typical globlin talk".
The whole human-goblin relationship was awkward.

Humans were the biggest assholes in this game. Hands down.

Judging by this list it appears so except for a few games that were free on plus day one that ended up below 75.

Not only that, I know I've heard that metacritic threshold used as a bullet point underscoring the value of the PS+ subscription by Sony execs. I'm almost positive it was Jack Tretton that said it (and during E3, maybe?).

Anyways, PS+ IGC speculation aside, I'd be very interested in hearing from someone like Shu or even Cerny himself regarding Knack sales numbers and the general response the game has been getting from consumers, not industry people, and how those things shape their strategy for Knack's future.

AkIRA_22

Is there a certain point in the game I can access the Vita second Screen CO-OP? Does the Vita have to be a different account? I want to play CO-OP with my girlfriend and I'm at the start of 1-1 (after tutorial) and I have connected up the Vita and there is no CO-OP.

Zafir

I started on Hard today, and am on Chapter 3-1. A few questions:

-In the trophies menu, when it says complete a chapter doing x... Does it mean all of chapter 3 for example, or complete chapter 3-1 doing the required task?
Just the part, ie 3-1.

I think my issue with the difficulty is, quite frankly it's all over the place. Like when you're tiny you get one hit killed by some stuff, and then other sections of the game where you're big Knack and attacks barely even scrape you.

Elvick

Banned
I just finished the game on normal difficulty and had one question...

How in the world does this game deserve a 3/10!?

I thought those kind of scores were reserved for broken games. Knack is definitely not broken. My only gripe would be that the camera sometimes would not show your attacker. That could be a pain but that didn't happen very frequently.

I thought the game was challenging and enjoyed how the simple combat meant you really had to know each of the enemy's fighting style. Most of my deaths could be attributed to my impatience.

I completed two gadgets and was very close on the others. I'm not typically a completionist but will probably go back and see how many of the other collectibles I can get later on more because I enjoyed the combat than for the collectibles themselves.

I enjoyed Knack and if I had to give it a score I'd give it a 8.5/10.
heh, the camera not showing the attack almost made me throw my DS4 across the room. I had 43 combo going on the meter and was going for that 50 combo trophy. Ranged guy shoots me from off screen. ;_; Eventually did get that trophy though. Rewarding~

I don't know why this got a 3/10 anywhere. Even with opinions, reviews should still have SOME objectivity in them. And there's no way to justify a 3/10 review for Knack.

Might be a dumb question but is there a way to replay chapters before actually beating the game or do I have to beat the game first? And even then do I get to choose what chapter I want to play or do I just have to run through the story again?

Might be a dumb question but is there a way to replay chapters before actually beating the game or do I have to beat the game first? And even then do I get to choose what chapter I want to play or do I just have to run through the story again?
Chapter select unlocks after you beat the game along with other modes too

If we start a new game, does it remove the chapter select and other modes unlocked after beating the game?

the modes stay unlock

chapter select you can play any chapter with any difficulty you have unlocked

the other 2 modes stay there but it also uses your current saved data thats loaded (includes difficulty and gadgets and such)

Zafir

Bah, just spent a good 15mins going for no damage on a boss trophy, to find out, you actually need to exit out when you take damage and not just let yourself get killed. Killed the boss with no damage taken after a death, didn't count. Will have to go back and do it again if I ever complete it and unlock chapter select. >.<

Bah, just spent a good 15mins going for no damage on a boss trophy, to find out, you actually need to exit out when you take damage and not just let yourself get killed. Killed the boss with no damage taken after a death, didn't count. Will have to go back and do it again if I ever complete it and unlock chapter select. >.<

I found that once you unlock Diamond Knack, a lot of those chapter-specific trophies trophies become super easy especially with Chapter Select and putting it on Easy. This actually popped for me while going for the Emerald Medal trophy.

dorkimoe

if anyone wants to add me

dorkimoe for sharing collectibles. I got 1 emerald or green piece today! woo! haha i have a bunch of others though

Eusis

Judging by this list it appears so except for a few games that were free on plus day one that ended up below 75.
Binary Domain ended up on there, though it didn't do as low as I thought. Still, 72, so either it's a bit lower like 70, or it's rubbish.

I'd hope it's just one criteria at most, a reliable enough litmus test but a game will be examined closer if there's enough demand or praise for the game regardless, though I'd sooner expect this to be crazy PS+ sale fodder instead.

JCX

Is there a certain point in the game I can access the Vita second Screen CO-OP? Does the Vita have to be a different account? I want to play CO-OP with my girlfriend and I'm at the start of 1-1 (after tutorial) and I have connected up the Vita and there is no CO-OP.

I thought the same. It isn't intuitive at all.

1. Start game with primary profile
2. connect Vita with remote play
3. Turn on the DS4 and log in with a profile other than the one on the Vita (I just use the guest profile)

Once you start the game, P1 will be on Vita, P2 will use the DS4.

alterno69

Banned
Ok again, WTF, i'm on chapter 6-3 and this is so far my favorite PS4 game. I have played only coop with my 7 year old son and he is loving it too, the end of chapter 5 was great. The graphics don 't get enough credit either. Anyone scoring this game below 6 is really crazy. As a game aimed for kids this is fantastic, i'm 33 and enyoing it s lot too.

If this game doesn't get a sequel i will be seriously bummed.

Please buy this game people, it's really really good, especially if you have kids.

elcapitan

There's something about Knack that makes it hard for me to put it down. It's really easy to play and deceptively simple but tough to master. I've already sank 50 hours into it and beat it six times. I even beat it on Very Hard with regular Knack! Although my brain says this game is a 7, I really love it. I think this is a great game to speed run.

knackcdswv.jpg

By the way, 8-1 is definitely the hardest part of the game--at least for me.

Aspiring

Please buy this game people, it's really really good, especially if you have kids.

I second this. Currently playing through this with my 4 year old and he loves it to bits. It's rather exciting as it's my first game that I am actually playing through with my boy and he has requested that I do not play without him, which I find so cute. But yeah he loves the game so much and it's funny watching him explain it to his friends haha! And he is actually not bad at it either!

After I finish it with him though hard mode is all mine!

NeoROCK

This game deserved much better review scores.

The 4's and 5's it got would indicate its a game of poor quality, which I strongly disagree with. Knack has a few flaws (frame rate mostly), but its not a bad game by any means.

The level design is somewhat similar to what I would expect from a modern day Crash game.

Top Bottom