• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

MIMIC said:
I'm sensing that the majority of the people with this outrage rarely watch sports (let alone participate in them)

Bold: Insanely true lol.

The basketball court growing up and now is crazy "homophobic" and "racist" despite serving everyone.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Who cares? Some guy said something dumb in the heat of the moment. GUESS I BETTER GET ANGRY ABOUT IT.

Margalis

Banned
Hige said:

Wow, detective Hige is on the case. Super owned lol.

It's funny, the people who argue that "everyone says it" or "fag is just a generic insult, not homophobic" are almost invariably extremely homophobic.

Mumei

Serenade said:
Evidently not.

We're capable of multitasking.

Joates said:
People need to quit comparing "nigger" to " gay" or "faggot".

One of them can be said in public as an outsider around said group and nothing is likely to happen.

In the other scenario youre likely to get an ass beating... Just saying.

So if you say faggot around gay people, you probably won't get your ass kicked, but if you say nigger around black people you probably will?

What is your argument? Is it that you'd also go around calling black people nigger if you thought you wouldn't get your ass kicked and that the only thing that makes one wrong is the threat of being hit?

KJTB

Paznos said:
Only 100k? ugh should have been at least 1 mil. it's crazy how many people are defending him, there are so many other things he could have said instead of what he did.

Sarcasm?

If not, this is easily the dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.

How do you guys know Kobe isn't gay? If he is this is no different than black players calling each other "nigga" all the time. What a messed up society we live in where a gay man like Kobe can't feel comfortable being open about his sexuality and has to go as far as having a fake wife just to keep up appearances. Shame on all of us.

Spire said:
Who cares? Some guy said something dumb in the heat of the moment. GUESS I BETTER ANGRY ABOUT IT.
more proof people with this kind of wasteful mindset only get offended for the sake of getting offended.

Riposte said:
WHY

(I don't like it! isn't an answer)

Well, surely you can insult someone without generalizing their entire race/gender/etc.

I mean, I guess I don't see the reason why people would want to say racial slurs in the first place. I mean, I guess it's kinda possible to say racial slurs and not be racist, but surely there's a better way to get your point across without using them, but when I see someone saying a racial slur of some sort, I don't think too highly of them. But that's just me and it's not like I'm forcing them to use another word or anything.

You can't compare peoples suffering! Everyone has things that hurt them in their own way and based on their own experiences. Just because you don't see why it's "such a big deal" does not mean that it isn't to them. We should be careful not to marginalize the feelings of others.

Paznos

Dipindots said:
Sarcasm?

If not, this is easily the dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.
The 1mil thing was me exaggerating but in all seriousness 100k is nothing to someone who makes millions a year.

ecnal

Mercury Fred said:
Dude, please stop policing my language. And quit being such a sensitive fuck while you're at it. She wasn't giving me my change fast enough so I called her a n****r. I could have said dumbass because n****r doesn't necessarily have any racial connotations anymore. But I didn't. It's just a word, dude!

oh, you're just a moron. duly noted.

carry on.

Riposte

Another question: Should people who look down on feminine men be shunned the same as homophobes are? (Feminine man and homosexual are by no means one and the same.) For example: "He throws like a girl!"

(Also no one has explained to me why everyone who says racial slurs is immature)

SamuraiX-

rlj66c.gif

Blackface

Banned
Devolution said:
No Kobe told people he's sorry they were offended. lol. Love that empty gesture.

He shouldn't be sorry anyone was offended.

Nobody has the right not to be offended. Fuck sensitive retarded people.

Joates

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
viakado: There is a huge difference between using the word faggot and the word motherfucker. The fact that you insist on equating the two means you know nothing of what the word 'faggot' actually means.

Now wait a second, what does the word faggot actually mean? You're implying there is only one true definition right?

Mercury Fred said:
Tell me about it. I called a cashier a n****r last week and she had the nerve to tell me that I was being offensive. Fuckin ridiculous PC b***h!

Yeah and if she was a lesbian, according to this thread you would have called her a Faggot and then proceeded to drag her outside and beat her up in the parking lot?

ZephyrFate said:
god I know it's not like faggot doesn't have absolutely horrifying origins rooted in bigotry just like the n word, right?

They're not the same in any fucking way. At all.

Go to google : Define nigger

Define faggot. Hmmmm. Get back to me on that one. Ya know with your "origins" rooted in bigotry.. for both :lol

Paznos said:
Only 100k? ugh should have been at least 1 mil. it's crazy how many people are defending him, there are so many other things he could have said instead of what he did.

I think 10mil is more appropriate. Let it be a lesson to all in the game to watch their language in general, and a lesson to the younger generation too that sport is about competing physically on the field - and does not give you a licence to spew dirt from the mouth.

Mumei

ecnal said:
you're a joke poster, right?

i'm pretty sure you're still trying to equate "faggot" and "nigger," which, surely, means you're a joke poster because no one -- even with the slightest of intellectual ablility -- would seriously try to equate the aforementioned.

I'm still waiting for you (or commish or Joates) to explain how they are actually different instead of just asserting it.

Blackface said:

excuse me while I go sling a bunch of racist slurs at people. Fuck them for being sensitive.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Paznos said:
The 1mil thing was me exaggerating but in all seriousness 100k is nothing to someone who makes millions a year.

100k is a MAJOR fine in sports. Pretty sure Mark Cuban, an owner, is the only one in NBA history has gotten a bigger fine than this.

kehs

Banned
Margalis said:
It's funny, the people who argue that "everyone says it" or "fag is just a generic insult, not homophobic" are almost invariably extremely homophobic.

Assumptions are super fun!

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ShdwDrake said:
Like Jay Z says why do people give words soo much power?

Because people use them for communicating. If words held no power, held no weight, why talk?

Here's what I think - I think there are a lot of people on GAF who use the word faggot, probably very innocently, during recreational sports or whatnot, or to a buddy as a joke. Now when they see how people react to the word being used, even outside of a homophobic context, they get defensive. "I use that word sometimes, I don't hate gay people. How dare they equate it to saying the N word, it's not the same thing!"

I've been called the N word once, and I've had it used around me in a casual way like "You guys are all a bunch of niggers". I didn't like it, I didn't like how it made me feel, but I knew when that person said it, he didn't mean any offence, he was just trying to be edgy and say something that would grab at peoples attention. But it still kinda hurt this part of me I didn't know could be hurt by such casual use of the word. I wished he didn't use it, I wondered why he couldn't have used another word, something that didn't make me feel bad.

I don't think anyone here is calling for Kobe to get strung up by his ankles and whipped, and I don't even think people are all too outraged at the people on GAF who use it 'innocently'. But they wish it could stop, they'd like it if people didn't use the word. Why hold onto the word so desperately if it doesn't mean anything to -you- personally? Out of spite? To protect your wounded pride? Just let the word go, you don't have to say it - and you'll make people happier by doing so. If you don't give a shit about any of that stuff, well then whatevs.

ecnal said:
oh, you're just a moron. duly noted.

carry on.
Welp, looks like we have another PC cop in the thread.

Blackface said:

*fistbump*

That's usually what I say after I drop a few N-bombs out on the streets.

Riposte said:
Why? What's the logic behind it?

You want to get into a discussion regarding logic, when your base argument is that racial slurs are an acceptable means of communication? You don't know anything about formal logic and arguments do you? I suggest looking up logical fallacies and in particular an Ad hominem.

Desi

I enjoyed this thread. White people were finally able to type out the N-word without consequence. I know they got their jollies off.

Cubsfan23

Banned
Mumei said:
I'm still waiting for you (or commish or Joates) to explain how they are actually different instead of just asserting it.

If the referee isn't gay, than it is different. Use some common sense.

Souldriver said:
I doubt you're black. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're not, trying thinking about something that's intrinsic to you and imagine it gets used as a slur all the time, and sometimes causes discrimination in real life. Say, you're a black haired guy, or a blue eyed one. Now imagine people use those characteristics as slurs, and if you're in the wrong company, they cause you to be beaten up or worse.

I doubt you'd be all "who cares" about the use of those slurs.

this is me correcting you

J2 Cool

Meus Renaissance said:
I think 10mil is more appropriate. Let it be a lesson to all in the game to watch their language in general, and a lesson to the younger generation too that sport is about competing physically on the field - and does not give you a licence to spew dirt from the mouth.

Cut off his tongue, and put it on a plate. Some people need to learn.

KJTB

Paznos said:

The amount of money that someone makes a year doesn't really matter. If 100k was the equivalent of 15 dollars for me, I'd be pissed that I had to fork over 15 dollars for saying a word. Sure, it doesn't really hurt me financially, but it's the principal of the matter that would be an issue for me.

Calcaneus

What kind of apology do you want from the guy? He said he didn't mean to offend anyone and wasn't saying it out of hate. What else do you want? A pledge that he will never use the word again even though you know it isn't true?

I hate this whole "fuck up/apology" cycle that always goes on. Someone says something messed up, everyone gets outraged and doesn't let up until that person gives the right public apology that everyone knows they were forced to do. Nothing gets fixed, people just get to pat themselves on the back because they feel like they accomplished something.

Its so fake.

threenote said:
I hate the hivemind approach to things here. I think that the slur, while offensive, is not a big deal in the context which Kobe used it. It's not like he automatically hates homosexuals, he just said a slur out of frustration. The same goes with the word, "retard." Now, don't get me wrong, I don't condone these types of words--I just understand how things like that can slip.

He equates gay as an insult, how is that not "a big thing"?

Mercury Fred said:
Spoken like a true white knight.

Get that PC shit outta here.
Why do you even post in these threads? You don't (can't) quantify any of your points and just go off on useless tangents and nonsensical analogies. It's as if you get angry and just splash shit across the computer screen. You don't actually debate and if anything you turn people away from your cause. You haven't made a single relevant or insightful post this entire thread. You've just been smarmy and pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom