• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kobe Bryant slinging homophobic slur during nationally televised NBA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I said that it has grown not that racism has been completely eradicated. And frankly, no it doesn't offend it but I could understand if it does. You can't walk around saying perfectly unoffensive things.

Yeah, I know, I just can't help but walk around calling black people "niggers", Chinese people "chinks," Japanese people people "Japs" and so on. Oh, wait, yes I actually can avoid doing that.

bill0527 said:
Is LGBT going to organize a boycott of the Los Angeles Lakers organization? Demand that Kobe Bryant be fired? Boycott every sponser and corporation that does business with the Los Angeles Lakers? And if not, why not?
Because a giant boycott based on a relatively small incident of someone using a slur is uncalled for?

Gaborn said:
And I think this is the point. I suspect what we have here is a lot of black straight men reacting to being called "nigger" (an understandably deadly insult) vs "faggot" which is not for them. Up against a bunch of gay men who really would prefer that our professional athletes not use such language without a penalty severe enough that they're NEVER going to do it again. Such as a suspension.

Thats kind of what I've been trying to say people will understandably, react differently to being called different insults. In fact I agree, except with the part of suspension. An example should be made out of him and the $100k fine is good enough in my opinion.

Souldriver said:
Because a giant boycott based on a relatively small incident of someone using a slur is uncalled for?

By the looks of this thread there would be a large enough counter-boycott talkin' 'bout takin' der slurs.

Monocle

Shin Dynamo X said:
Most likely the guy that called the other a n*gger would be a dead ass mofo. Besides, blacks are born that way, there is no proof that gays are born gay. Heck, I've seen straight guys walk out prison all turned out after doing a bid.

A gay man can hide in the closet and avoid bigotry. A black person can't hide being black. There isn't a closet big enough to hide that.
I share you skepticism, sir. Next thing you know, they'll be telling us women should have the vote! Preposterous in the highest degree.

RQMZW.jpg

Personally, I think people who make alternative lifestyle choices don't have the right to complain about the consequences of their own decisions. What's wrong with calling a spade a spade? I know it's not politically correct to say this stuff, but sometimes the truth hurts.

Derp.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ChocolateCupcakes said:
I said that it has grown not that racism has been completely eradicated. And frankly, no it doesn't offend it but I could understand if it does. You can't walk around saying perfectly unoffensive things.

It's not racist when they're saying it though, right? I mean, they aren't targeting black people, it's just become a part of their vernacular, a way to gently insult someone or something.

Joates said:
Yeah I was on Xbox live the other day and.... (yada yada yada downfall of humanity)

Good example to pick. WoW...

Does it matter where it comes from? My point stands, and I'll add a question to it - do you think it's offensive when people use nigger as an insult, out a racial context? It hurts me when I hear it, in this place in between my chest and my gut.

Joates

Banned
Gaborn said:
Yeah, I know, I just can't help but walk around calling black people "niggers", Chinese people "chinks," Japanese people people "Japs" and so on. Oh, wait, yes I actually can avoid doing that.

Yeah and those types are the real douchebags. Yeah the ones with ill intent. Intent. Its important to consider imo.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
bill0527 said:
Is LGBT going to organize a boycott of the Los Angeles Lakers organization? Demand that Kobe Bryant be fired? Boycott every sponser and corporation that does business with the Los Angeles Lakers? And if not, why not?

I don't understand the presumption that you have to be LGBT to think sportsmen shouldn't be throwing about words like this.

Racism was hard to stamp out in English football for instance, they've now started trying to tackle homophobia but are still tip-toeing around it. Players actually refused to take part in the campaign because they were afraid of being labelled gay. In 2011 this is beyond pathetic, but it goes to show the culture that exists in sport.

You have to have a zero-tolerance policy if you are going to affect any change.

Joates said:
Yeah and those types are the real douchebags. Yeah the ones with ill intent. Intent. Its important to consider imo.

Someone who dares to call themselves a decent person would do the work necessary to correct their language when told something is offensive.

Anyone who says different really needs to take the privilege blinders off.

Gaborn

Joates said:

No matter how angry I get I'm NEVER ever going to call a black person a "nigger." You're right. The fact that Kobe used "faggot" as his go to insult says a lot about him.

Kalnos

Banned
Moral of the story:

You can say nigger, chink, faggot or any other word as much as you want. Be careful where you say them though, as freedom of speech doesn't protect you against the consequences of your speech.

Gaborn said:

You just picked the words that society knows not to say and for the most part wouldn't say. If I was talking to someone and said that everyone that watches Community or some shit are idiots and someone overhears and says they are offended how would I avoid doing that?

Gaborn said:
No matter how angry I get I'm NEVER ever going to call a black person a "nigger." You're right. The fact that Kobe used "faggot" as his go to insult says a lot about him.

I said this earlier and a bunch of people jumped on my post lol. I said people who say slurs as their go to insult says more about them than they or their defenders are willing to admit.

SuperBonk

DECK'ARD said:
The point is that it shouldn't be acceptable to use it in a derogatory context, and when society grows up a bit it won't be.

Umm, when would it be acceptable?

Hey man, that faggot is so cool!

I know I will never truly understand the strong connotation behind the word "faggot," but I really think it would be best if society made the word as meaningless as possible. The reason being that due to unfortunate circumstance, the word has really come to mean more than just "homesexual." I grew up in a community where the kids I knew always used "gay" and "faggot" without any animosity towards homosexuals. I have to admit that I said these words as well. Of course, I've stopped since then but sometimes in the heat of the moment I blurt them out like Kobe did. Again, with no intended hatred towards the LGBT community.

I realize that we as a society should really stop using those words to mean "lame" or "stupid" or whatever, but it's hard to ditch the vernacular you grew up with. I have no idea what it's like to be dehumanized by the word "faggot" or even "nigger" but I just think we'd be better off not letting the words bother us and worry about the people saying them with hate.

Kinitari said:
It's not racist when they're saying it though, right? I mean, they aren't targeting black people, it's just become a part of their vernacular, a way to gently insult someone or something.

It might or might not be. Depends on the person frankly.

Gaborn

ChocolateCupcakes said:
You just picked the words that society knows not to say and for the most part wouldn't say. If I was talking to someone and said that everyone that watches Community or some shit are idiots and someone overhears and says they are offended how would I avoid doing that?

I'm not here to defend any and every overly sensitive reaction. "Faggot" is hardly a word that is generally appropriate in society whereas "idiot" appears regularly. If you want to know the difference how often have you heard "faggot" on broadcast TV in a normal friendly context? How about idiot?

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Someone who dares to call themselves a decent person would do the work necessary to correct their language when told something is offensive.

Anyone who says different really needs to take the privilege blinders off.

Perhaps, but not all people are decent. Also, if someone told you to stop using a particular word in your vocab, that you dont find offensive but others do. Do you understand how that could possibly be difficult?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Devolution said:
I said this earlier and a bunch of people jumped on my post lol. I said people who say slurs as their go to insult says more about them than they or their defenders are willing to admit.

I don't want to make this blanket statement, even though I sort of agree. But a part of me also knows that there are people out there, maybe even adults, who don't realize that the word 'faggot' offends gay people to any severe degree - they used it growing up, and were never confronted for it.

CrankyJay

Banned
Devolution said:

What does it say?

Gaborn said:
I'm not here to defend any and every overly sensitive reaction. "Faggot" is hardly a word that is generally appropriate in society whereas "idiot" appears regularly. If you want to know the difference how often have you heard "faggot" on broadcast TV in a normal friendly context? How about idiot?

True so how about the gay people who weren't offended by this? Are they not sensitive enough?

Kinitari said:
I don't want to make this blanket statement, even though I sort of agree. But a part of me also knows that there are people out there, maybe even adults, who don't realize that the word 'faggot' offends gay people to any severe degree - they used it growing up, and were never confronted for it.

Kobe should know better, people in this thread should know better, and in fact they've proven they do, they just don't see what the big deal is, which is pretty sad. Then it seems this thread turned into one big Oppression Olympics about "faggot" vs "nigger", which just detracts from the point that certain slurs can't ever really be divorced from their primary meanings. And that as long as racism and homophobia are still real issues, it's all the more stupid to use those words in any insulting fashion/context.

I think it's ridiculous how much people fight for use of words that are offensive then in the same breath say, "omg who cares why are you so offended."

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
CrankyJay said:
What does it say?

Not to speak on Devolutions behalf, but correctly or incorrectly, when someone uses that as a 'go to' insult, it makes you wonder what their stance on homosexuality is.

But still, I wouldn't say it is indicative of anything, but it doesn't really make you sound like someone who is all too comfortable with homosexuality.

CrankyJay said:
What does it say?

That they've had the privilege of throwing those words around without regard for other people. Or they've had the privilege of other people keeping their mouths shut and not outright telling them, "dude that's not cool."

Kinitari said:
Not to speak on Devolutions behalf, but correctly or incorrectly, when someone uses that as a 'go to' insult, it makes you wonder what their stance on homosexuality is.

But still, I wouldn't say it is indicative of anything, but it doesn't really make you sound like someone who is all too comfortable with homosexuality.

This too, one has to wonder about a person if their primary mode of insults is derogatory slurs.

Gaborn

ChocolateCupcakes said:
True so how about the gay people who weren't offended by this? Are they not sensitive enough?

Some black people aren't offended by the word "nigger" are they not sensitive enough? There are always outliers in any particular situation.

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Kobe should know better, people in this thread should know better, and in fact they've proven they do, they just don't see what the big deal is, which is pretty sad. Then it seems this thread turned into one big Oppression Olympics about "faggot" vs "nigger", which just detracts from the point that certain slurs can't ever really be divorced from their primary meanings. And that as long as racism and homophobia are still real issues, it's all the more stupid to use those words in any insulting fashion/context.

I think it's ridiculous how much people fight for use of words that are offensive then in the same breath say, "omg who cares why are you so offended."

Faggot: You equate the meaning to a slur directed at gays.

Faggot: Others equate it to being an interchangeable word for motherfucker, douchebag, what have you.

But youre the only one that is ever right, because you hate context with a passion.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Devolution said:

I guess I like to assume the best of people, I'd rather not think that everyone I hear who uses the word 'faggot' does so with malice in their heart, or harbors any negative opinion on homosexuals. But I agree, it does at least put that doubt in my mind.

There is irony, and even though I don't like juxtaposing multiple slurs for my points, I feel like maybe it helped get through to some people.

Joates said:

Faggot: Others equate it to being an interchangeable word for motherfucker, douchebag, what have you.

But youre the only one that is ever right, because you hate context with a passion.

When did she say she was the only one who was ever right? She is just stating her opinion, what she believes to be correct, same as you. What a weird thing to be mad at someone over.

Joates said:

Those people aren't using faggot for that reason regardless of how much they want to whitewash the word. They could use those exact synonyms but they don't, why?

Kinitari said:
I guess I like to assume the best of people, I'd rather not think that everyone I hear who uses the word 'faggot' does so with malice in their heart, or harbors any negative opinion on homosexuals. But I agree, it does at least put that doubt in my mind.

There is irony, and even though I don't like juxtaposing multiple slurs for my points, I feel like maybe it helped get through to some people.

I don't think everyone who uses it harbors malice against homosexuals, but the word does nothing to help homosexuals either. It's a term that still marginalizes them.

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Those people aren't using faggot for that reason regardless of how much they want to whitewash the word. They could use those exact synonyms but they don't, why?

Are you fucking kidding me? Are you the only one that knows a persons intent when they speak. Get the fuck off your high horse.

Because the other words are synonyms in their mind. You know kind of like in your mind they are all filled with hateful intent and never have any context.

Gaborn

Joates said:

If I started calling anyone I thought was lazy a "nigger" would that be socially acceptable?

Margalis

Banned
If "faggot" is interchangeable meaning-wise with "motherfucker" and you know that faggot is offensive in a way that motherfucker is not why not just say motherfucker instead?

Hmmm.

As far as "intent" and "context" - if you use "fag" as a generic insult part of the "context" of that is that you are tacitly endorsing the notion that gay people are lesser. Part of your "intent" is using a word you know is offensive to an oppressed group when other words would work just as well.

I'm not buying this "well look at the intent." If you call someone a "Jew" as an insult your intent was to call them a Jew, and the context is you just called them a Jew as an insult. Why did you do that?

Words and actions reflect intent. Yeah, we can never truly know what is in your heart of hearts but if you think Jews are swell people why would you use Jew as an insult? If you respect gay people as equals why insult people with "fag?"

Joates said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Are you the only one that knows a persons intent when they speak. Get the fuck off your high horse.

Are you seriously going to defend using a derogatory term when you just laid out a bunch of synonyms that don't marginalize said minority group?

Grow up.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperBonk said:
Umm, when would it be acceptable?

Hey man, that faggot is so cool!

I know I will never truly understand the strong connotation behind the word "faggot," but I really think it would be best if society made the word as meaningless as possible. The reason being that due to unfortunate circumstance, the word has really come to mean more than just "homesexual." I grew up in a community where the kids I knew always used "gay" and "faggot" without any animosity towards homosexuals. I have to admit that I said these words as well. Of course, I've stopped since then but sometimes in the heat of the moment I blurt them out like Kobe did. Again, with no intended hatred towards the LGBT community.

I realize that we as a society should really stop using those words to mean "lame" or "stupid" or whatever, but it's hard to ditch the vernacular you grew up with. I have no idea what it's like to be dehumanized by the word "faggot" or even "nigger" but I just think we'd be better off not letting the words bother us and worry about the people saying them with hate.

I shouldn't have used the word it, I was referring to all the words mentioned at the end of the post. Faggot is just a horrible word.

And whether they are used with hate or not, it's reinforcing a difference and perception that being gay is a bad thing, a negative thing, that being straight is better. Someone's sexuality should never be equated with a put-down. Even if it's not aimed at someone who is gay, it's perpetuating the wrong mindset.

Some habits need to be broken.

Gaborn said:
Some black people aren't offended by the word "nigger" are they not sensitive enough? There are always outliers in any particular situation.

Well yeah. Thats what I was getting at. You made it seem like every gay person should be offended by this.

Devolution said:
Are you seriously going to defend using a derogatory term when you just laid out a bunch of synonyms that don't marginalize said minority group?

Grow up.

I think the point is is that some people don't see it as a derogatory word. Not saying that it defends people that use it but it doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Joates

Banned
Gaborn said:
If I started calling anyone I thought was lazy a "nigger" would that be socially acceptable?

No. Society has already made this known I thought. I also thought they came to a different conclusion for gay slurs...

Devolution said:

Grow up.

I dont use the words personally, but I can see how others see no difference in the usage because thats the only meaning theyve ever really used it for.

So you think kids who run around calling shit "gay" even if they dont know other connotations of the word are stifling the gay movements progress?

I hate how you all refuse to look at context and\or intent. Unreal.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I think the point is is that some people don't see it as a derogatory word. Not saying that it defends people that use it but it doesn't necessarily make it wrong.

Thanks.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
It's wrong to be ignorant.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I think the point is is that some people don't see it as a derogatory word.

While I think that's bullshit, if one wants to be decent to all the different groups of people out there, you decide that some of your "precious" vocabulary needs to be stamped out. I don't know why those who consider themselves above prejudice and discrimination would hold so tightly onto words that offend others. It must be some grand privilege to declare certain words "un-offensive" in a specific context, mostly because you said so.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Joates said:

This is completely bonkers.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
ChocolateCupcakes said:

They are wrong through being ignorant.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
Ignorance doesn't give you a free pass to use it. It's not a word that should be used in ANY context. Do you get that?

Gaborn

Joates said:
No. Society has already made this known I thought. I also thought they came to a different conclusion for gay slurs...

Since when has "faggot" been generally socially acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom