• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Kotaku] Concord Director Steps Down As Studio Behind Historic PlayStation Flop Waits For Sony's Decision

Flabagast

Sources tell Kotaku is one of the more expensive studios in the PlayStation portfolio on a per-head basis.

haha.gif

Danny22

Neo Member
NeoGAF? Dude, like 20K people in total bought it worldwide.
Ah,I'm actually having fun. I enjoy the strong emotions and discussions that this game seems to get. But anyways, it wasn't the 'professor' . Excited for the thread of that day.

Although it should be Herman Hulst, the one who bought this company in the first place. And Sony, who gave so much power to Bungie and its ex-developers that they cancelled Factions and let this see the light of day.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Agreed, and the representation stuff was not one of the major reasons.

More than anything else, that GaaS shooter space is just way too crowded and nobody playing those games, with thousands of hours invested, wants to switch.
Yeah. Fair games doesn’t look like something with representation and I can SMELL the flop from here. They should cut their losses and cancel that shite altogether.

It's a shame most of them will be let go or the studio will be shut down. Already, the developer community is getting beaten down in jobs, but in this case, it was self-made with terrible decisions.

rm082e

Comeback? What the fuck are they smoking? How is it possible that they even think about re-releasing after refunding everyone?

Also, what do they think they can rescue from that?

Just take the L, Sony.

It's copium. Some people will continue to hope for a comeback like Multiverses had, unless and until Sony makes clear that's not going to happen.

A.Romero

I would’ve guessed they were balls deep in restructuring this as a f2p game. Apparently not.
I mean yes but usually they don't refund, right? They just give in-game currency or whatever to those who paid for the game and that's it.

Didn't play it or even see a trailer but based on how the reception was I would have thought that nobody wanted it even for free.

KINGMOKU

So by some updating their resumes, I assume that means making sure there are zero references to the studio, or game they just worked on?

"Worked at Fi..."

"On professional sabbatical for a few years."

Some of those folk are going to be lepers in the dev community for sure.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

PSlayer

Giving the fact the studio is one of the most expensive on a per head basis,either sony will give them another chance or will shut them down. There is no way Sony will turn them into a support studio with salaries that high.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Agreed, and the representation stuff was not one of the major reasons.

More than anything else, that GaaS shooter space is just way too crowded and nobody playing those games, with thousands of hours invested, wants to switch.

Yeah, Deadlock is in trouble. GAAS shooter space is just way too crowded and already invested in other games. Oh wait...

“Ryan deeply believed in that project and bringing players together through the joy in it,” one former developer told Kotaku. “Regardless of there being things that could have been done differently throughout development, he’s a good human, and full of heart.”

Well that explains it. Dude was too attached to his pet project. The character switching feature was monumentally retarded. I bet they had a lot of bad feedback (why play another character to make the one you like run faster?) but he BELIEVED.

yurinka

The DEI team, the 'professor', marketing, PR, CM and whoever pushed for the wokeness or didn't raise a flag to stop it should leave too. All the people responsible for making the characters on purpose not likable to the user demographics that represents almost the total userbase of these PvP FPS / eSports / tactical shooter game types (which is aprox. over 90-95% male, over 85% cis & heterosexual, over 85% white).

They all should be replaced and the studio should continue starting by replacing all the characters using very cool, non-woke ones (minimum 80% of them designed to be appealing to men, white and heterosexual people) and using a unique (compared to the other main shooters) and very cool artstyle for the game they can use without needing to remake the environment art.

Other than these morons, most people unrelated to these woke things from game design, programming, art, animation, audio etc. did a good job so they should stay.

Who knows, maybe the that guy who left thought the woke stuff was nonsense and that was going to kill the game but he wasn't brave enough to mention it to don't be called a bigot/racist/sexist/homophobe/etc.

Last edited:
Those damn homophobic toxic masculinity racist bigots are what lead to this game failing and this poor man stepping down…….hope they are all happy now. I’m actually just joking in case anyone takes this seriously. I am not surprised he stepped down after this fiasco.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
That studio is dead. There's no absolutely no possibility Sony could use Firewalk as a support studio. If Sony was in need of so many developers they wouldn't have fired more than 200 people at Bungie.

Now Sony is burdened with 150-170 people at Firewalk who have no backup plan at all now Concord is dead as a dodo. Those devs and artists fully expected to work on creating content for Concord full time for at least a couple of years. They'll have no secret internally developed game they can show to Sony and even if they had, there's no guarantee Sony will greenlit whatever they come up with based on Concord's awful financial performance. All those people are all siting at home or staring at each other in their brand-new office with absolutely nothing to do besides polishing up their resumes or saying teary eyed goodbyes.

Top Bottom