• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

PhatSaqs

Banned
dark10x said:
Like I said, the ONLY thing that pisses me off is the lack of a standard HDD as it will no longer be used as it could have been. You act as if no XBOX games used the HDD, but you could not be more wrong. A lot of the biggest titles used the caching features of the HDD in order to provides seamless experiences. Ninja Gaiden relied heavily on this feature, for example.
True but it seems the fact that it wasnt highly used (probably less than 1% of released games used it this way) was a factor. So blame it on the devs :p.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
DopeyFish said:
I am now convinced that 99% of gamers are retards, judging by the majority of posts this morning. I'm going back to bed, I didn't wake up to find myself talking to pre-teens who can't afford a measily amount of money. Wah wah indeed.

And I thought u was hardkore!

it's not the overall price. It's the value of what you're getting. The fact that they made HDD non-standard really pisses me off. Plus the fact that they're just reaming you no the prices of accessories is another major pisser. As I stated earlier, I would be happier if they just released 1 SKU at $399, because then all that shit would be standard. Now they're just continuing their trend of half-assing everything.

DopeyFish said:
I am now convinced that 99% of gamers are retards, judging by the majority of posts this morning. I'm going back to bed, I didn't wake up to find myself talking to pre-teens who can't afford a measily amount of money. Wah wah indeed.

And I thought u was hardkore!
they still makes this model?

you know MS fucked up when people think the person DEFENDING THE COMPANY IS A TROLL!!!

:lol :lol :lol

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Nerevar said:
it's not the overall price. It's the value of what you're getting. The fact that they made HDD non-standard really pisses me off. Plus the fact that they're just reaming you no the prices of accessories is another major pisser. As I stated earlier, I would be happier if they just released 1 SKU at $399, because then all that shit would be standard. Now they're just continuing their trend of half-assing everything.

you know i thought the way you did and complained the way you did when i learned the hard drive wasn't standard.

It never really was important as we all thought.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DopeyFish
Crying on the inside

Has this always been Dopey's tag? I just noticed it.

For Europe this is a master stroke.. Europe is definitely Sony stronghold and this pricepoint definitely should dent that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PhatSaqs said:
True but it seems the fact that it wasnt highly used (probably less than 1% of released games used it this way) was a factor. So blame it on the devs :p.
I don't think that's true, though. A LOT of the games I've played on XBOX use the HDD as a cache. The biggest and best games on the XBOX almost all use this feature. It was typically the ports that did not...and even a lot of those at least used custom soundtracks.

Less than 1%? There's no way the number is that small...

trmas

Banned
I can afford to wait. When the PS3 news is more detailed I will be able to make an informed decision. I still might get a 360 next spring/summer because I expect a price drop or it may look like a value when I see what the competition clocks in at price-wise.

But MS just blew the 6 month - year lead they supposedly had. A LOT of people are going to wait at that price point. No way I'm an early adopter now...

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
• Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
Talk about bare bones :/

• Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
Gah, I don't want half that shit!

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
-_- .....you're shitting me.

• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
Who's gonna buy this alone? Just buy the $400 package....

Looks like I'll be waiting for 2 price drops :/ .....

Ponn

Banned
DopeyFish said:
you know i thought the way you did and complained the way you did when i learned the hard drive wasn't standard.

HAHAHAHA....Wow, years of hearing Xbots scream "But the Xbox has a HD standard and the PS2 doesn't" and in one night I have never seen such a quick change of scenery. :lol :lol

Today is going to be awesome

*passes the popcorn*

DopeyFish

dark10x said:
I don't think that's true, though. A LOT of the games I've played on XBOX use the HDD as a cache. The biggest and best games on the XBOX almost all use this feature. It was typically the ports that did not...and even a lot of those at least used custom soundtracks.

Less than 1%? There's no way the number is that small...

Oh yeah. It is that small.

Tarazet

Looks like I'll be waiting for a price drop or maybe PS3. I'm still buying RR6 on release date though, gotta have one for my collection. :D

dark10x

DopeyFish said:
Oh yeah. It is that small.
Can you prove this to me? I do not believe you at all. I own ~30 games for the XBOX, and at least 40% of them use the HDD for either caching or custom music.

If it really IS that small, it should be noted that the games that DID use the feature are considered THE BEST GAMES ON THE SYSTEM.

FiRez

DarienA said:
Has this always been Dopey's tag? I just noticed it.

For Europe this is a master stroke.. Europe is definitely Sony stronghold and this pricepoint definitely should dent that.

and others deserve that tag too, so much denial.
Btw: Perhaps we're beggining to see why Ed Fries left MS

bigNman

You should have all seen it coming. The original xbox was made to get a bunch of harcore fans under Microsofts thumb so now they can charge what they want from you's and get all that lost money back in their pockets.

I have to say though, £210 for the basic package isnt too bad for the UK.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
higher prices raise standards. i could afford the $600 or so i'd want to spend at launch...but do the games warrant it?

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I assume we don't have a Japanese price because it'll be cheaper and they don't want them seen side by side too easily.

I can't imagine them going in at a high price in Japan, as if they don't need every advantage they can get over there.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
golem said:
Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/17/news_6131245.html

HOLY SHIT Just look at those Prices! MS is SERIOUSLY trying to get over on us now. Why the hell didn't I listen to my own conspiracy theory about MS not being able to afford loosing billions of dollars again so they would be forced to betray their fanbase or loose billions more? I never thought they would actually DO the shit.

PhatSaqs

Banned
dark10x said:
Can you prove this to me? I do not believe you at all. I own ~30 games for the XBOX, and at least 40% of them use the HDD for either caching or custom music.

If it really IS that small, it should be noted that the games that DID use the feature are considered THE BEST GAMES ON THE SYSTEM.
If you throw in custom soundtracks it's probably a whole lot higher. Caching is another story tho.

DopeyFish

Shaheed79 said:
HOLY SHIT Just look at those Prices! MS is SERIOUSLY trying to get over on us now. Why the hell didn't I listen to my own conspiracy theory about MS not being able to afford loosing billions of dollars again so they would be forced to betray their fanbase or loose billions more? I never thought they would actually DO the shit.

earth to shaheed. earth to shaheed. Microsoft is still losing money.

Yusaku

DopeyFish said:

You're the best part of this thread. Keep it up.

pilonv1

Mama Smurf said:
I assume we don't have a Japanese price because it'll be cheaper and they don't want them seen side by side too easily.

I can't imagine them going in at a high price in Japan, as if they don't need every advantage they can get over there.

Besides raping the early adopters, that was one of my thoughts. #1 market subsidises their worst market, Japan gamers am win.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ponn01 said:
HAHAHAHA....Wow, years of hearing Xbots scream "But the Xbox has a HD standard and the PS2 doesn't" and in one night I have never seen such a quick change of scenery. :lol :lol

Ponn01 said:

Ponn01 said:

Repeated for truth.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
be serious: japan gamers am ignore 360 entirely and wait for similarly overpriced ps3. unless perhaps the ~¥40,000 bundle comes with a waterproofed kasumi fuckpillow.

Waiting for:

1) Major Nelson to spin this.

2) The pwnage total on Attack of the Show today.

3) Dopey's drugs to wear off and the deep soul shattering sobbing to begin.

4) SonyCowboy to come in and post "What's up, guys?"

TomO

With all the negative vibes over the two packages, MS really needed to show people that it doesn't matter about the lack of hard drive. Had they showed a handful of amazing looking games, people would have gone "Wow! I can play those for £210." They needed something positive.

I think the two SKUs is a good move personally, as the £210 looks a lot more attractive to the guy who doesn't even know what the Xbox 360 is. The £290 is great value for everyone else, and even if games don't use the HD, we've got custom soundtracks, easy game saving, downloadable content etc.

dark10x

drohne said:
be serious: japanese gamers am ignore 360 entirely and wait for ps3. unless perhaps the $399 bundle comes with a waterproofed kasumi fuckpillow.
I wonder how accurate some of those Japanese polls were...

It was like "which next-gen console are you interested in?" and like 89% said PS3, 10% said Revolution, and 1% said 360. I mean, Revolution over 360? Doomed.

DopeyFish

krypt0nian said:
Waiting for:

1) Major Nelson to spin this.

2) The pwnage total on Attack of the Show today.

3) Dopey's drugs to wear off and the deep soul shattering sobbing to begin.

4) SonyCowboy to come in and post "What's up, guys?"

5) for you guys to sit back, breathe and realise that this isn't a big deal?

Phoenix

The prices don't really surprise me, but it certainly means that I'll be seeing what Sony has to offer before spending money.

Ranger X

GAF is very funny. I don't what was people's expectation but again they were wrong.
399 was acceptable before and not it's crap --- yeah right

HDD will change the surface of gaming in this new gen --- yeah right

You had fate in Microsoft?? --- stupid idea to begin with. Business is business and they also told you they want a cash register into you living room.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Wyzdom said:
GAF is very funny. I don't what was people's expectation but again they were wrong.
399 was acceptable before and not it's crap --- yeah right

HDD will change the surface of gaming in this new gen --- yeah right

You had fate in Microsoft?? --- stupid idea to begin with. Business is business and they also told you they want a cash register into you living room.

Fate?

not it's crap?

Anyway, I can vote with my dollars too. I am the consumer. I just won't buy.

DopeyFish said:
5) for you guys to sit back, breathe and realise that this isn't a big deal?

umm Dopey it is a big deal for most ppl including myself.

i dont have an HDTV but if i get the 399 bundle for the hard drive i will still have to get regular AV cables seprately.

NO HD? fuck that shit.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Wyzdom said:
Well, clearly the expectations were wrong, and that's the problem here. Microsoft intimated actions that were not followed through on. The only reason we're seeing such disappointment here today is because Microsoft inferred, through their actions and comments about HD, wireless, one SKU, etc., that things would be different.

Think about it: if the PS3 was announced at $400 (which is IMO the most likely price), most people would be unsurprised, and some would even be relieved and happy. That's the difference between Sony's approach and Microsoft's, and right now it's costing Microsoft dearly.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The 299$ Unit is a bad marketing trick imo. At least a memory card if you don't have a hdd is a must-have and paying 340$ (€ for me >.<) for such a downgraded version of the whole package is not appropriate. And 400$/€ is way to much for me. I'm waiting for a 300€ Xbox 360 with HDD. I don't care for HDTV cables or remote, but a HDD is a must-have for save files and Xbox games.

Top Bottom