• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Times: Microsoft announces X360 pricing at lollapalooza 2005

pilonv1

sp0rsk said:
im gonna spend all the credit i have at gamestop on ds games this christmas

Indeed. That DS Lawyer game special edition at $70 looks like a steal now. I really want that pointing finger stylus.MICROSOFT, YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Kabuki Waq said:
umm Dopey it is a big deal for most ppl including myself.

i dont have an HDTV but if i get the 399 bundle for the hard drive i will still have to get regular AV cables seprately.

NO HD? fuck that shit.

ever count the amount of connectors on the HD cable? in the premium picture?

There's 6.

Why would there be 6?

Red / Green / Blue / Video / sound-L / sound-R

Composite comes with the premium box too

DopeyFish said:

There's 6.

Why would there be 6?

i hope so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This announcement really makes posts like this quote a bit more entertaining. :p

Barnimal said:
god this is stupid.

ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!ALL OF THE LAUNCH 360s WILL HAVE A HARD DRIVE AND THERE IS ONLY 1 SKU!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Before I continue, can I just say that I'd rather it was $299 for the HD SKU - duh - I also wish Ferraris were 10k.

But JESUS - the Xbox 360 that plays all the games you want to play (and the ones you don't) is $299.

Can you read that? NO BASE SPLIT - all games will work without the HD. Some will work better WITH it. You get EVERYTHING you are bitching about.

The fancy-ass one that has a bunch of features many of you already bitched were unnecessary, is $100 more - with a HARD DRIVE, an HD cable, a Wireless controller, Ethernet cable, a Wirless remote, a faceplate and some other shit.

Now, if any of you geniuses can get that extra stuff above for $100 on any other system, then good luck to you.

I am buying one, day one, because I happen to know the fucking thing owns. And I am buying the expensive one, because that shit is a good deal. And because being able to turn your console on and off with your wireless remote is the future. THE FUTURE.

Quit acting like you just got betrayed. Today is the same as yesterday. Xbox 360 is $299. AMAZING ASS SUPER SYSTEM is $399. And you can get the HD later if you feel like it. And probably a bigger HD.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I already knew that MS was runned by people with subpar cognitive skills and I was already alerted of the two SKUs thing, but this blows my mind. While the full package has a good value as it includes everything that a serious gamer buys for a decent price, the lite one sucks sweaty goat's ass and not all people has the money or the will to buy the full Xbox. And what the hell is going on with those peripheral prices? Are they crazy? Do they want me to pay that much for an extra controller a wifi adapter and a mem card?

Xbox has a small but very loyal fanbase in Europe, with people's confidence in Nintendo shrinking they only had to put a good price range and do some good promos to improve the current base but instead of that they just dropped the ball and owned their own customers. How dumb is that?

They have customer here because I actually have to buy the console, otherwise I'd skip it just to buy it for cheap one month later just like many people did with the original Xbox.

GG Microsoft, GG.

Stinkles

DopeyFish said:

There's 6.

Why would there be 6?

True story.

Miburou

I don't mind spending $400 on a system as advanced as the Xbox 360 and one that comes with a wireless controller and a 20GB hard drive, but I was hoping a higher priced console means cheaper games, not more expensive games. Hell, I would easily pay $500-$600 for a system if all games were $30-$40.

The pricing on those accessories is just ridiculous. I know they're trying to get everyone to buy the premium package (and you'd be dumb not to go with it), but it's really bad to have a wi-fi adaptor for $100 when the PS3 and Revolution will have one as standard.

Unless RR6 is mindblowing, I'll just stick with a PS3 for next gen.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
None of this really suprises me except the $40 memory card.

PS3 going with Duo's is such a better idea in that regard.

Jeff-DSA

Screw them. I'm not buying a 360 until I can find one used for $200 or less. If that means waiting a whole year, that's fine with me.

This is BS.

DopeyFish said:
you know i thought the way you did and complained the way you did when i learned the hard drive wasn't standard.

It never really was important as we all thought.

Dopeyfish on graphics - Xbox1 era - summary: PS2 is an inferior console graphics-wise - Xbox has the best graphics and I wonder why people buy inferior PS2 versions of games instead of waiting for 6-18 months to buy the REAL version- Sony fans are sheep

Dopeyfish on hdd - Xbox1 era - summary: PS2 is an inferior console doesn't even have an hdd - Xbox so many more features thanks to hdd

Dopeyfish on graphics - Xbox360 era - summary: Graphics are not that important

Dopeyfish on hdd - Xbox360 era - summary: It never really was important as we all thought

PhatSaqs

Banned
Stinkles said:
I am buying one, day one, because I happen to know the fucking thing owns. And I am buying the expensive one, because that shit is a good deal. And because being able to turn your console on and off with your wireless remote is the future. THE FUTURE.

:lol

Ruzbeh

Banned
Stinkles said:
Quit acting like you just got betrayed. Today is the same as yesterday. Xbox 360 is $299. AMAZING ASS SUPER SYSTEM is $399. And you can get the HD later if you feel like it. And probably a bigger HD.
But... but... the $299 version doesn't have a shiny, metallic disk tray!

well buying a memory card to save games will cost $40 its at $340 already.

Might as well have made the price 340 and included the memory card. I mean do they expect gamers not to save?

Stench

Banned
Stinkles said:
Quit acting like you just got betrayed.
I'm pretty sure the backlash in this thread is to simply justify their decision to purchase a PS3 at launch. By labelling the 360 as a total failure, it makes the One-Console Future people content to know that they're "on the winning team".

I'm saying that because I'm one of them.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
we are blowing the hardware prices out of proportion. we should be freaking out about $60 games. they're the rape that keeps on giving. if the xbox 360 launch is a traumatic but isolated encounter with a predatory hillbilly in a truckstop pissoir, $60 games are an extended term as prison bitch.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Stinkles said:
Before I continue, can I just say that I'd rather it was $299 for the HD SKU - duh - I also wish Ferraris were 10k.

But JESUS - the Xbox 360 that plays all the games you want to play (and the ones you don't) is $299.

Can you read that? NO BASE SPLIT - all games will work without the HD. Some will work better WITH it. You get EVERYTHING you are bitching about.

The fancy-ass one that has a bunch of features many of you already bitched were unnecessary, is $100 more - with a HARD DRIVE, an HD cable, a Wireless controller, Ethernet cable, a Wirless remote, a faceplate and some other shit.

Now, if any of you geniuses can get that extra stuff above for $100 on any other system, then good luck to you.

On their very own website, they list the HD as a SPEC. They don't mention it's optional. It was deceptive and to think otherwise is ignorace.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So in conclusion I've learned a few things today:

1. The xbox having a HD was never a big deal.
2. The premium x360 actually IS a good deal(IMO it actually is for everything you get).
3. The core system is a shite deal though. Throw in a small HD dammit.
4. oh yeah graphics aren't important anymore.

Stinkles said:

No Live, No Services and software as promised, no wireless controllers, no BC, no VelocityGirl, no reason for devs to utilize the HDD, no way to save games without a memcard.

DOWNGRADE from xbox.

drohne said:
we are blowing the hardware prices out of proportion. we should be freaking out about $60 games. they're the rape that keeps on giving. if the xbox 360 launch is a traumatic but isolated encounter with a predatory hillbilly in a truckstop pissoir, $60 games are an extended term as prison bitch.

You know I find you're analogy frightfully true. You make a DAMN good point.

Stinkles

Sweet Prince said:
unless you want to play Xbox games. :lol

Then you probably own an Xbox.

Which proves once and for all, that backward compatibility is a convenience, not a feature.

PS2 owners already know this.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Stinkles said:
As long as you don't want to play Xbox games. And play online. And play with other people. And play with custom soundtracks. And play without being tethered to a controller. And play with the ability to save your game. And play with any hard drive benefits. Much of which (B.C., online play, wireless controllers) will likely be done out of the box on PS3 (albeit a more expensive box, but still, the perception is there) and even the freaking Revolution, and much of which could be done out of the box on the freaking Xbox 1.

There's a reason why most people (and it's not just this forum, either) are so upset.

Vark

I'm completely appaled at all these people saying 'being an early adopter costs too much! I'm out!' When has being an early adopter been a value? The PS3 isn't going to be any cheaper and it's only going to get worse from here on out.

Nintendo's stance on cheaper yet still functional hardware should be really apparent by now.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Vark said:
I'm completely appaled at all these people saying 'being an early adopter costs too much! I'm out!' When has being an early adopter been a value? The PS3 isn't going to be any cheaper and it's only going to get worse from here on out.

that's not necessarily what has so many people upset Vark ....

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Stinkles said:
Quit acting like you just got betrayed. Today is the same as yesterday. Xbox 360 is $299. AMAZING ASS SUPER SYSTEM is $399.

I hope this is a lesson to people that they shouldn't set their expectations so high.* Do not assume that "we're really excited about the prospect of one SKU" or "we're certainly not going to send out THREE Xbox 360 SKUs for the holidays" or "we see HDD as essential" or "we'd really LOVE to have BC" makes these things definitive. Go back and read these interviews. You'll find carefully worded statements that nothing is set in stone.

Marketing is an ugly ugly thing. It's the girlfriend who fucks around on you and comes back crying swearing that it will never happen again. It's the husband who beats your ass to see how long you'll take it. Marketing is EVIL.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment! Wait for the press release. Always.

* WHO THE FUCK AM I KIDDING?

EDIT: Ha ha. Ignore this post from here up ^. Just found this press briefing from E3.

Powering Xbox 360 Games and Entertainment
Xbox 360 is designed with a singular platform vision that fuses high-performance hardware with intelligent software and services, so the player is always in power. Offering the greatest value in entertainment today, Microsoft detailed more key platform experiences that come standard with every Xbox 360 system:

* An IBM PowerPC-based CPU with three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each, packing the most advanced A.I. and physics processing available.
* A custom ATI Graphics processor and more than 512 MB of memory for high-definition games and entertainment applications.
* All games optimized for 16:9 aspect ratio, HD output (720p and 1080i), multichannel surround sound output, and full-screen anti-aliasing.
* Detachable and expandable 20GB hard drive to download demos and trailers along with new game levels, maps, weapons, vehicles, skins, community-created content, and more to rip music for playback and to listen to custom playlists in every game.
* A wireless controller with Microsoft-patented wireless technology.
* Xbox Guide Button on every controller to instantly connect gamers to their games, friends, and music and to power on or power off Xbox 360 without their having to leave the couch.
* Gamer Profile software that remembers what players have achieved in games.
* Instant, out-of-the-box access to Xbox Live, including a built-in Ethernet port for connectivity; Xbox Live Marketplace for downloadable content; a Message Center to receive voice and video messages from friends; functionality that let users talk to friends, even while watching movies or listening to music; and an Xbox Live Headset.
* Three USB 2.0 ports for the Xbox Live Camera peripheral and to plug in wired game controllers that are also common for Windows®-based PCs.
* Ability to stream media from a portable media device, digital camera, and Windows XP-based PC.
* Progressive-scan DVD movie playback out of the box; DVD and CD music and photo playback out of the box; support for DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, Windows Media® Audio CD, MP3 CD, and JPEG Photo CD.
* Media Center Extender built in to access recorded TV (including high-definition TV) and digital movies (including high-definition film), music, video, and photos stored on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs through any Xbox 360 system.
* Support for up to four wireless game controllers and an optional Universal Media Remote with Windows XP Media Center Edition Button for Media Center Edition functionality.
* Support for Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter via 802.11b, g, and a.
* Interactive, full-screen 3-D visualizers.
* Two memory unit ports to save data on portable memory units, starting at 64 MB.
* Detachable "face," so each console can be personalized.
* Parental Controls to help restrict the games and movies that are played.
* Xbox Live controls to manage Friends List, voice and video communication, and Gamer Profile sharing.

Vark

human5892 said:
As long as you don't want to play Xbox games. And play online. And play with other people. And play without custom soundtracks. And play without being tethered to a controller. And play without saving your game. And play without any hard drive benefits. Much of which (B.C., online play, wireless controllers) will likely be done out of the box on PS3 (albeit a more expensive box, but still, the perception is there) and even the freaking Revolution, and much of which could be done out of the box on the freaking Xbox 1.

There's a reason why most people (and it's not just this forum, either) are so upset.

And the PS3 will cost a lot more than $299

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DarienA said:
So in conclusion I've learned a few things today:

1. The xbox having a HD was never a big deal.
2. The premium x360 actually IS a good deal(IMO it actually is for everything you get).
3. The core system is a shite deal though. Throw in a small HD dammit.
4. oh yeah graphics aren't important anymore.
I think you're right. I still want the thing, and I'm pissed that it's going to cost me $400, but the premium package IS a pretty good deal. You get pretty much everything you could possibly need for high def, online gaming (except if you want wireless - then they really screw you). Considering that I don't have any friends that are into video games, I don't need extra controllers, HDD will provide enough storage, component cables included, etc. Now I just need to decide on my one game ( :lol ) and wait until they announce how much XBL will cost (better not raise the price on that!).

Yusaku

Ever since E3 there have been many things paraded around this forum as fact, when there was nothing to back it up. Obviously I'm talking about the very very very widespread assumption that the 360 would have the HDD standard, and PS3 would not. Neither party ever said anything concrete about the subject, but that never stopped anyone assuming that this was fact.

Now that the 360 picture is coming into view lets turn our attention to the PS3. Lets all admit here that we don't know dick about the PS3. Sony likes to show shit they have no intention of ever releasing. We don't know that wifi/HDD/other obscure feature is standard, we don't know how much it will cost. Assume nothing. For all we'll know Sony will pull a dual-SKU fiasco themselves, one with BluRay and one without. Sound far fetched? Well, so is today's news.

I think the massive 360 backlash right now is partly because many Xbox fans have egg on their face for making assumptions.

In summary, we'll all be much happier if we stop treating speculation and assumption as fact. Assume nothing, and prepare for the worst.

Stinkles said:

I must be living in the future then, because my universal remote does a bang up job of turning my PStwo on and off.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Vark said:
And the PS3 will cost a lot more than $299
Most likely.

The 399 pack is a damn good value. The 299 pack sucks ass.
They should have played the middle ground and went with a SINGLE 349 pack and taken out the remote.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
vatstep said:
I think you're right. I still want the thing, and I'm pissed that it's going to cost me $400, but the premium package IS a pretty good deal.

See, thats just the thing, they have it priced so everyone is going to think the 400 dollar SKU is a deal.

Mrbob

What about Allard's comments in the recent Game Informer about the first Xbox 360 shipping with a hdd? Talk about a deceptive comment right there. Much of the problems isn't just with the higher hardware price. It is a combination of higher software prices for underwhelming looking games and peripheral prices out of this world! The base package isn't even HD ERA ready and this is what MS had been preaching since the beginning.

Vark

Nerevar said:
that's not necessarily what has so many people upset Vark ....

People are upset because the internet lied to them, fanboy speculation went rampant and MS didn't step up to correct any of it. They never said the HD was going to be 'standard' they said it would come with the 1 SKU they had planned.

People need to realize the 299 'core' system may as well not exist. That's not the Xbox360 the Xbox360 is the 400 dollar one. The 300 dollar one is there so it looks cheapers to consumers that aren't paying attention and so they can say its there.

Yusaku

Stinkles said:
Then you probably own an Xbox.

Which proves once and for all, that backward compatibility is a convenience, not a feature.

PS2 owners already know this.

"Backwards compatability also not important." Another one of today's lessons. I'm sure when Perfect Dark Zero comes out we'll hear, "Gameplay not that important afterall."

Anyone with any amount of memory will recall that backwards compatability was a motherfucking BOMBSHELL of a feature on the PS2. FF12 is going to by the PS3's biggest launch game, thanks to backwards compatability.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Yusaku said:
For all we'll know Sony will pull a dual-SKU fiasco themselves, one with BluRay and one without. Sound far fetched? Well, so is today's news.
I get your overall point about assumptions and I think it's a good one, but this scenario is about as likely as one SKU without a PS3 in it.

HokieJoe

Edit:

Xbox 360 Core System - $299 (299 Euros, 209 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•Wired controller
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership
•Standard AV cables

Xbox 360 - $399 (399 Euros, 279 GBP)
•Xbox 360 console
•20GB detachable hard drive
•Wireless controller
•Wireless Xbox Live headset
•High-definition AV cables
•Ethernet cable
•Xbox 360 Media Remote Control (limited time)
•Detachable faceplate
•Xbox Live Silver membership

• Faceplate ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Hard Drive (20 GB) ($99.99, 99.99 Euros, 69.99 GBP)
• Memory Unit (64 MB) ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 22.99 GBP)
• Wireless Networking Adapter ($99.99, 79.99 Euros, 59.99 GBP)
• Wireless Controller ($49.99, 44.99 Euros, 32.99 GBP)
• Play and Charge Kit ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Rechargeable Battery Pack ($11.99, 14.99 Euros, 9.99 GBP)
• Controller ($39.99, 34.99 Euros, 24.99 GBP)
• Headset ($19.99, 19.99 Euros, 14.99 GBP)
• Universal Media Remote ($29.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• Component HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)
• S-Video AV Cable (US) ($29.99)
• SCART AV Cable (Europe) (24.99 Euros, 17.99 GBP)
• VGA HD AV Cable ($39.99, 29.99 Euros, 19.99 GBP)

I wonder if my current (wired) Live headset work with the 360? Hopefully it will. Aside from that, I don’t need an Ethernet cable, wireless controller, wireless NA, or media remote. I’ll probably just get the core package; and buy a bigger HD, the Component HDAV cable (unless I have an A10, then I’ll get the VGA cable).

Provided that a higher capacity HDD is available, and my old headset will work, my piecemeal approach should give me exactly what I want for less than $399 or whatever the USD estimate is.

trmas

Banned
All I know is I may buy one later. But at that price, and especially with the lackluster launch titles, I'm not going to run out and get one this year either.

I'll wait until next Spring at the earliest.

Stinkles

Yusaku said:
I must be living in the future then, because my universal remote does a bang up job of turning my PStwo on and off.

Are you controlling games with your Universal remote? Sweet.

Top Bottom