• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lab-grown vaginas have been successfully implanted in four women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love to see a video demonstration of how they grow the cells. Neat though, good for them!

I'd love to see a video where we see the cellular evolution moving along time-lapsed, until it inexplicably gets pixellated when fully-grown. I can see this becoming the FCC's equivalent to the abortion debates.

"At what point does it become the vagina?"

entremet

OSxS3eI.jpg

Hopefully it doesn't get me banned.

Is this before or after?

sphagnum

Banned
No.They have normal genitalia but the vagina is not a full cavity that connects with the ovaries and the uterus is absent. This procedure was so successful because they have all the surrounding structures just not a fully developed cavity. They find out about the problem due to lack of menstruation.

Interesting. That's sort of what I thought when they said "underdeveloped" vagina though, so I guess that's why "absent" threw me off.

Interesting. That's sort of what I thought when they said "underdeveloped" vagina though, so I guess that's why "absent" threw me off.

Well the vagina is the cavity, they didn't say the clitoris, vulva and labia were absent. It sounds like what's consistently absent though is the uterus.

If they can grow a vagina in a lab then you'd think they'd be able to grow edible pig and cow meat. We could finally have ethical meat eating.

If they can grow a vagina in a lab then you'd think they'd be able to grow edible pig and cow meat. We could finally have ethical meat eating.
I want this to become a reality. I've become ethically conflicted by mammal meat-eating and I'd be very happy to buy synthetic pig and cow meat.

I don't really care about chicken or turkey though . . . fuck those bird-brain dinosaurs, mammals rules.

Kinyou

Could this tech be used to create designer vaginas, or Designas™ which I've just copyrighted with this post?
Apple is going to release iGina. It will make sex a totally awesome and stylish experience, however will it also get criticized for only being compatible with the iPenis.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So why can we not build a uterus now?

Just speculating, but a uterus has a lot of special functions while a vagina is a just a tube of flesh. A vagina is probably easier to create and install. A uterus needs to be hooked up to ovaries and it needs to cycle through building and shedding lining and all that. Again, I have zero medical expertise so I might be full of shit.

patapuf

It's possible but expensive.

Also, given the reaction to GMO's (at least in europe) you'd have trouble finding customers.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's possible but expensive.

Also, given the reaction to GMO's (at least in europe) you'd have trouble finding customers.

Part of the worry about GMOs is contamination of non-GMO crops, so at least that wouldn't be a concern with lab meat. But if the concern is largely derived from generalized fear of genetic modification and tampering with biology, then yeah, it'll be a tough sell.

I mean, it'll be a tough sell anyway because it'll probably look weird and gross (in a way that we aren't used to).

Wiktor

Part of the worry about GMOs is contamination of non-GMO crops, so at least that wouldn't be a concern with lab meat. But if the concern is largely derived from generalized fear of genetic modification and tampering with biology, then yeah, it'll be a tough sell.

I mean, it'll be a tough sell anyway because it'll probably look weird and gross (in a way that we aren't used to).

It can't look any weirded than MSM
In reality if they would price it below normal meat most people would buy it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's amazing that this stuff was done nearly a decade ago, and they've done a variety of a different body parts now. This tech is moving fast, and it's great for all kinds of situations. Progress on these lab grown parts and all the prosthetic advancements in recent years are extremely exciting.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Facebook stock just doubled.

Guys the 4 women involved were 13-18 when the surgery was performed. This is now 8 years later so even the youngest test subjects are 21 now. I'm not trying to be like "Hurr yeah yeah lemme see dat vaggie" but c'mon, read the article you're quoting.

The women, who were between 13 and 18 at the time of the surgery, [...] "We now show up to an 8-year follow-up with those organs

Guys the 4 women involved were 13-18 when the surgery was performed. This is now 8 years later so even the youngest test subjects are 21 now. I'm not trying to be like "Hurr yeah yeah lemme see dat vaggie" but c'mon, read the article you're quoting.
How do you know he wanted to see current day pics, hmm? Anyway, I knew that. It's even in the OP, even if you don't follow the link. My post was just a joke. The person who quoted me made it appear serious.

How do you know he wanted to see current day pics, hmm? Anyway, I knew that. It's even in the OP, even if you don't follow the link. My post was just a joke. The person who quoted me made it appear serious.

I didn't mean to call you out specifically, I saw it brought up a couple other times in the thread (someone else joked about it on the first page too). That you were kidding wooshed right over my head though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom