• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She doesn't.

:(

She's nowhere near as bad as Irelia used to be.

Sardello

Yesterday I installed and played the game for the first time... this evening I'll Join the Gaf community.

I found amaizing Miss Fortune and Janna champions. Is it because they are truly amazing or just because I'm a noob and they're easy to be used?

Ferrio

Banned
Yesterday I installed and played the game for the first time... this evening I'll Join the Gaf community.

I found amaizing Miss Fortune and Janna champions. Is it because they are truly amazing or just because I'm a noob and they're easy to be used?

MF is considered pretty crappy. Janna is hit or miss.

Haly

Within their respective roles (Ranged Attack Damage Carry and Support respectively) they are actually the more difficult champions to play effectively.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Janna is perfect in every single way. A beautiful wind!

MF hits hard, but nerfs to her ult and double tapped brought her down. It would be better to invest in most of the other range champions.

Within their respective roles (Ranged Attack Damage Carry and Support respectively) they are actually the more difficult champions to play effectively.

You mean I'm actually a good player and not just playing an easy character? I thought Janna rest on the easier scale.

*SPARKLY EYES*

bjaelke

Anyone know if Shyvana is getting buffed? She seems pretty underwhelming right now.
One can only hope. I don't think there have been any official words on it.

Janna is an excellent support character. Miss Fortune on the other hand is not the best in her class. She lacks crowd control abilities and an escape if you ask me.
There are better ranged champions such as Vayne, Tristana, Corki, Caitlyn, Kogmaw and Graves. With that said, you can problem do just fine in the lower levels with Miss Fortune, but as you proceed towards level 30 you'll find her to be lackluster.

And welcome on board.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Janna is an excellent support character. Miss Fortune on the other hand is not the best in her class. She lacks crowd control abilities and an escape if you ask me.
There are better ranged champions such as Vayne, Tristana, Corki, Caitlyn, Kogmaw and Graves. With that said, you can problem do just fine in the lower levels with Miss Fortune, but as you proceed towards level 30 you'll find her to be lackluster.

And welcome on board.

He'll do fine even at 30. Its not till you get situated at a more respectable level(Even that is questionable), where MF's damage problems start to become apparent. Basically when you get a decent jungle on the other team.

bjaelke

He'll do fine even at 30. Its not till you get situated at a more respectable level(Even that is questionable), where MF's damage problems start to become apparent. Basically when you get a decent jungle on the other team.

You never quite know with Riot's matchmaking.

I've been playing around with Twitch now that he is free and i am absolutely destroying everyone. Granted, i have only played the game for a couple of weeks and it is on low level non ranked games. But i can easily just outdamage any assassin unloading in my face. Yesterday i was in a game where i was 24-4 and the Twitch on the other team was 22-5.

Is Twitch a bit on the OP side or is he just really easy to play on this low level? How is he supposed to be stopped?

Ferrio

Banned
So... any suggestions for "Ranger" champion?
I'm not a slasher, I prefer to hit and run :)

As mentioned above

"Vayne, Tristana, Corki, Caitlyn, Kogmaw and Graves"

are all "Ranged AD" characters. Which means they're ranged (mostly) physical damage dealing characters. They're usually built similiar too.

Others he didn't include:

Ashe, Ezreal, Sivir.

Haly

You mean I'm actually a good player and not just playing an easy character? I thought Janna rest on the easier scale.

*SPARKLY EYES*
Compared to Sona, Soraka, Lux, Morg and Taric, yeah. Janna is definitely harder to play well.

As for hit and run:

Vayne, Tristana, Ez, Corki, and Caitlyn have the best mobility in that list.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Compared to Sona, Soraka, Lux, Morg and Taric, yeah. Janna is definitely harder to play well.

Not being sarcastic, but I'm genuinely happy over this development. I always thought she was just more on the overpowered side, rather than being difficult to play. So I'd figured I was just trending on water, hoping they don't nerf her.

^_^

Odrion

Banned
Janna does have more of a learning curve than other support, but a mediocre Janna player is still very effective. A good Janna player can carry him/herself out of an elo of 0. Also Janna is a rather flexible champion since her base spells are great without any items (I won games as tank janna before. HAHAHA.) and will teach you quite a bit if you're new about knockbacks, skill shots, snares, how to read your teammates, etc. Stick with her, and you'll go places.

Viktor seems really cool but having a passive that takes up your item slot is dumb. It would of been understandable if you could use the hex-core to build into other exclusive items, but as it is I don't understand why this passive needs to be an item.

Haly

Janna does have more of a learning curve than other support, but a bad Janna player is still stupid effective.
Ever had a janna ult gank targets through walls?

Yeah not fun.

She's pretty effective in general but when she fucks up, she fucks up baaaaaaaaaaaad.

I've been playing around with Twitch now that he is free and i am absolutely destroying everyone. Granted, i have only played the game for a couple of weeks and it is on low level non ranked games. But i can easily just outdamage any assassin unloading in my face. Yesterday i was in a game where i was 24-4 and the Twitch on the other team was 22-5.

Is Twitch a bit on the OP side or is he just really easy to play on this low level? How is he supposed to be stopped?
Oracle's Elixir or start warding. Opposing team start ganking him.

Sardello

As mentioned above

"Vayne, Tristana, Corki, Caitlyn, Kogmaw and Graves"

are all "Ranged AD" characters. Which means they're ranged (mostly) physical damage dealing characters. They're usually built similiar too.

Others he didn't include:

Ashe, Ezreal, Sivir.
Oh, I'm sorry I missed the first list...

The level system, is something that always affect a match or is something important for "ranked" match only?

And also for runes... do I have to take care of them or I can play in "normal mode" without being affected by mine and others level/runes?

I don't know if I've been clear. I would just like to understand if I have to be concerned about level and runes

The level system, is something that always affect a match or is something important for "ranked" match only?

And also for runes... do I have to take care of them or I can play in "normal mode" without being affected by mine and others level/runes?

I don't know if I've been clear. I would just like to understand if I have to be concerned about level and runes
http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Matchmaking You'll get really good team mates, and then you'll get team mates who make it hell for you.
Runes work in normal, custom, and ranked matches.

Ferga

Viktor is out if anyone is interested :p

just played with one in my team. Guy didn't know how to play him though :(
Still don't know what he is capable of

Boken

Banned
There are the "ranged" champions everybody is listing, but they really have to stand and deliver to be most effective.
If you want to "hit and run" I think assassins and mages may be better suited to this. Kassadin, Talon, Akali, Orianna, Xerath, Leblanc, Annie, Ryze

Once people get better, they start to realise Twitch's weaknesses - his low range and his lack of an escape. Because of his low range, he can be pretty easily bullied during laning, and his lack of an escape means he can get ganked very easily. And together, It means that he is always in a pretty dangerous position in team fights when he doesn't have his ultimate up.

RE: Victor
- havent played him but he seems like an amazing duelist. His stun should always go off unless the other person flashes too. Good gank lane.

Pjodor

Neo Member
Oh, I'm sorry I missed the first list...

Don't buy any runes before you hit lvl 20 and can buy tier 3 runes. Otherwise it will only feel like you wasted your ip.

Boken

Banned
attachment.php

Pjodor

Neo Member
Ok... so I wasted my first day ip :)

Thank you for the suggestion
Well the first runes aren't that expensive, but when you hit lvl 20 you want to replace all the runes with tier 3 runes and they can be expensive. Also you might want to unlock some champions without having to pay for rp.

You can convert runes from a lower tier to a higher tier, but then you have to use five runes and only getting on, also its random what you get from that.

vhfive

Well the first runes aren't that expensive, but when you hit lvl 20 you want to replace all the runes with tier 3 runes and they can be expensive. Also you might want to unlock some champions without having to pay for rp.

You can convert runes from a lower tier to a higher tier, but then you have to use five runes and only getting on, also its random what you get from that.

yea I would say go ahead and buy first tier but then skip second tier and save your IP

garath

So I've been playing this game for the last few days and loving it. I'm level 6 and can't wait to play again today.

The first day I used Katarina since she was a freebie and really liked her. Unfortunately the second day they rotated and I've been using Irelia. I do a pretty good job with Irelia but I keep thinking back to Katarina.

I have about 1700 ip now so half way there to unlocking Katarina. Is she a good champion to unlock? I could unlock Irelia since I'm pretty familiar with her now too.

I do tend toward the big damage assassin type characters in anything. Though I've been enjoying the beefy Irelia once I get guardian angel.

Thoughts? Katarina a good choice? I'm sure there are dud champions and I'd hate to spend any ip or money on a dud.

edit: Also I can afford Akali right now and she looks pretty decent from a noob perspective. maybe her?

bjaelke

Both Akali and to some extend Katarina can be really powerful. If you get a lead on your opponent, you'll often find that you snowball into a near immortal status. Akali is often banned in solo queue (playing with and against random people).
What? Lol?

I would check your items. Shyvana is a monster.

Shyvana is a half-dragon. That's the only "monster" thing about her. You'll find her lack of CC and utility to be the reasons many have her at the bottom of their tier lists.

Edit: Ahri cosplay

Pjodor

Neo Member
If the enemy team don't have cc and can't cancel your ult Katarina is great. Otherwise if they play somewhat well your ult will be cancled most of the times.

My opinion on the AD carries in the game

S - Graves

Nerf this champ. AGAIN.

A - Vayne, Tristana,

Vayne is the best duelist out of all the AD carries and even beats Graves late game. If you can get off a condemn in lane it results in a kill probably 75% of the time, 90% if you have your ult up. Without some feed she is trash, however. Tristana is a fantastic nuker early game and does well mid game when played with defensive masteries. Late game she is probably the strongest overall AD carry. With surge she can take a tower down in like 2.5 seconds, it's awesome.

B - Corki, Ezreal, Caitlyn

Corki recently was buffed and his harass is always amazing and his toolkit makes him rough to gank. Ezreal in the right hands is seriously deadly. Even after the nerfs, Caitlyn is still one of the strongest laners but does very little once she gets her tower since Piltover was nerfed hard.

C - Sivir, Ashe, Kog'maw

Sivir's utility is great but she loses to most of the above champs even after buffs. Ashe's entire game is built around getting off a perfect ult. Other than that, she brings little to the table and her damage is pathetic. Kog's range was nerfed and that was his bread and butter. I'm not calling it gg for him yet but that was a serious hit.

D - Miss Fortune

Her toolkit is terrible and her ult is too easy to counter by moving an inch to your left or right. Needs heavy cc to be effective.

Special mention: Urgot, Twitch, and Teemo

Urgot can beat every AD carry in the game in the laning phase when played properly but falls off hard late game. His job is to ruin the other AD carry's farming as much as possible and in some games this can mean an automatic win if you end it before the 35 min mark.

Teemo when played properly can counter some team comps hard but seeing a good Teemo is like seeing bigfoot. Same goes for Twitch when he doesn't get overly focused on roaming and is with a good laning partner (like Zilean).

Thoughts? Katarina a good choice? I'm sure there are dud champions and I'd hate to spend any ip or money on a dud.

edit: Also I can afford Akali right now and she looks pretty decent from a noob perspective. maybe her?

I've seen good Kats carry games by themselves but she is easy to counter. Akali is seriously strong when not counter with pink wards/oracles but she is banned all the time.

garath

I've seen good Kats carry games by themselves but she is easy to counter. Akali is seriously strong when not counter with pink wards/oracles but she is banned all the time.

Easy to counter is disappointing. I'd hate to spend $10 just to get wrecked later by decent players.

Same with spending $10 to just have my char banned all the time lol.

Any other assassin type chars to suggest? Your breakdown on the ranged was excellent.

EXGN

So I've been playing this game for the last few days and loving it. I'm level 6 and can't wait to play again today.

The first day I used Katarina since she was a freebie and really liked her. Unfortunately the second day they rotated and I've been using Irelia. I do a pretty good job with Irelia but I keep thinking back to Katarina.

I have about 1700 ip now so half way there to unlocking Katarina. Is she a good champion to unlock? I could unlock Irelia since I'm pretty familiar with her now too.

I do tend toward the big damage assassin type characters in anything. Though I've been enjoying the beefy Irelia once I get guardian angel.

If you are new, I suggest trying before you buy. Right now you've only played a small sliver of the available champions and it would be wise to get familiar with a variety of them.

Both Kat and Akali are very situational champs that need the right team to back them up, and as such they won't exceed in every game.

bjaelke

Any other assassin type chars to suggest? Your breakdown on the ranged was excellent.

Talon, Fizz and Nocturne. All decent-good assassin champions. They are all very mobile champions which is reflected in their respective skill sets.

garath

If you are new, I suggest trying before you buy. Right now you've only played a small sliver of the available champions and it would be wise to get familiar with a variety of them.

Both Kat and Akali are very situational champs that need the right team to back them up, and as such they won't exceed in every game.

True. Ideally though I'd like to pick one and start mastering it early while the competition is such that I can excel. I appreciate the comments on Kat and Akali being situational though. I'll hold off for now.

Talon, Fizz and Nocturne. All decent-good assassin champions. They are all very mobile champions which is reflected in their respective skill sets.

I like the skill set of Nocturne. On paper it reads real well.

Ok... so I wasted my first day ip :)

Thank you for the suggestion

Tier 1 runes are so cheap in the grand scheme of things and you have so few runes to purchase, that it's not that bad honestly. Tier 2 on the other hand are too expensive. Just get some generic T1 ones like like hp/armor/magic resist runes.

My opinion on the AD carries in the game

S - Graves

Nerf this champ. AGAIN.

The other team had a Graves/Taric bot. Taric had an Aegis which basically upgraded Graves to Tanky dps. With just AD items mid game he had ~50% MR and ~60% Physical Resistance. I was not a happy Gangplank that game.

Does GAF have a mumble or team speak server? I'm down for doing some games tonight. I'm level 29 with a couple hundred games played. I'm not the best but also not terrible at the game.

Send me a friend request!

Summoner name: Devin Olsen

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Tier 1 runes are so cheap in the grand scheme of things and you have so few runes to purchase, that it's not that bad honestly. Tier 2 on the other hand are too expensive. Just get some generic T1 ones like like hp/armor/magic resist runes.

Yeah

the problem is you don't have enough runeslots for them to really matter

by the time you do you have access to tier 3.

So I'd just ignore the rune system and focus on learning champs and items and matchups the and the fundamentals of the game. There will be plenty of time to learn runes and masteries properly when you hit the upper 20s.

If you're starting out and want someone easy, Kat is still a great pick.

Talon is pretty basic as well, easy combo to pull off.

Mastering Kassadin will also take you far in this game, though he is reliant on masteries/runes/blue buff to be effective.

Maybe Jax, too.

Just won a 3v5, jesus. Decent Soraka left midgame while good Yi left late game. It was lucky our Akali was fed and had complete gear. Ive been building a tank Garen to initiate for her. Merc treads, sunfire, warmig, randuin, FoN and gangel. I prolly shouldve used atmog.

Ferrio

Banned
Hrmmm should I pick up viktor or not.....

Wasn't interested in him, but he's going to be OP as shit i can just tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom