• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT5| Premade Bot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. I'm curious to see how it'll turn out.

Spellthiefs is for poke support. Well that's how I feel it. It would be better on Morg/Karma/Nid...

I'd say Annie and Fiddlesticks are the 'ideal' Spellthief's support characters, but Sona's pretty pokey, and the support changes encourage building more AP on her. That said, I definitely prefer the Philo Stone path on her myself, since I always feel like I get more 'value' out of added facerolling (from mana) as opposed to added instant damage. I play her as a lane bully, though.

There are a few supports who are technically mitigation/buffing supports (like Lulu) where I could see Spellthief's, though, especially if you're going into a 2v1 lane and plan on zoning the enemy top laner the entire time. I'm just not sure Spellthief's is actually 'there' yet, and I'm thinking even supports that 'should' use it probably won't.

he's not starting out, he's dominating picks in competitive, he's in like 90% of the games I've been watching lately. also as we know winrate isn't the best metric ever, but even considering that high skillcap champions like lucian shouldn't be 50+, which is why champs like vayne get nerfed even when they're hovering the 45% (and my much hated ryze got nerfed even when he had a shit winrate).

personally I don't play lucian or bot lane all that much but seeing how dominant he is in competitive he probably did deserve the nerfs, as does annie, shyvanna and most likely evelynn in s4

He is only starting out. We've only seen him in one major competitive tournament (IEM) and the challenger circuit. I don't even count OGN right now cos it's just dumb.

And honestly, Lucian isn't even a high skill cap champion. he's really straight forward, aside from his ult which people have started to learn how to use.

Annie's on another level of strength to Lucian right now.

He's a late game carry. He should be strong when he gets items. His power curve is a lot like Tristana's. Decent early game, mediocre mid game until he gets his core (expensive) items and then he becomes strong in the late game. Like, that's his purpose.

Boken

Banned
spellthief is mostly if you're ranged and can safely poke.
spellthief is perfect for nidalee support?

o and the rael OGN starts after this
i think this is a showmatch or something
Well that was a bad impression for the first professional 3.14 competitive game.

NB's team comp was pretty awful though. No AoE, no hard engage.

And Lucian is my main ADC, and I agree he needs a nerf. The nerf isn't even that big, the top end just has a little taken off and the cast range is more intuitive.

He is only starting out. We've only seen him in one major competitive tournament (IEM) and the challenger circuit. I don't even count OGN right now cos it's just dumb.

And honestly, Lucian isn't even a high skill cap champion. he's really straight forward, aside from his ult which people have started to learn how to use.

He's a late game carry. He should be strong when he gets items. His power curve is a lot like Tristana's. Decent early game, mediocre mid game until he gets his core (expensive) items and then he becomes strong in the late game. Like, that's his purpose.
How convenient for you that you dont count the only competitive tournament going on so you can conclude that Lucian has only started appearing.

He doesnt curve out like tristana. what.

zkylon

zkylewd
I made a small edit (be sure to read it!) but anyways...

he was disabled or non-released before dude, what do you want :p

he's seen a lot of play ever since people were able to actually pick him. sure, so have poppy and swain but still, he's a strong pick in competitive atm.

I think that's the point of the range nerfs, to make him a bit harder to play effectively. riot clearly wants him to be a high skillcap champion since they have his purple bar all the way :p

no arguments there

I don't understand, they didn't touch his scaling at all, his passive is untouched. 20 range isn't such a big deal :/

what changed lategame? as I see it they just nerfed his laning and midgame burst

spellthief is perfect for nidalee support?
well it procs on spells when upgraded so if you can land your spears why not? tho I presume you're asking me with malevolent intentions :mad:

How convenient for you that you dont count the only competitive tournament going on so you can conclude that Lucian has only started appearing.

He doesnt curve out like tristana. what.

I'm not including OGN because they play him in a stupid way that's not indicative of his power level.

but sure, if you want to include OGN, why not? 33.3% win rate,. Super OP, yeah?

And his power curve is like Tristana's :/ he plays completely differently, and Trist might take slightly longer to get to where she needs to, but she's also far stronger when she does get there.

he was disabled or non-released before dude, what do you want :p

he's seen a lot of play ever since people were able to actually pick him. sure, so have poppy and swain but still, he's a strong pick in competitive atm.

Yes, he is strong. He is not overpowered though. This is a problem with the game's balance right now, where anyone seen as strong is considered overpowered and not just that, strong. Kassadin, Zed, Ahri and Fizz were overpowered. They deserved to get nerfed. Lucian is good. He doesn't need to be nerfed.

I think that's the point of the range nerfs, to make him a bit harder to play effectively. riot clearly wants him to be a high skillcap champion since they have his purple bar all the way :p

I don't understand, they didn't touch his scaling at all, his passive is untouched. 20 range isn't such a big deal :/

what changed lategame? as I see it they just nerfed his laning and midgame burst

lumping these together because they're about the range.

the problem with the range nerf is that Lucian needs to Q a target in his auto atatck range to use it. At the moment on live, it's 570, which is the same range as his auto attack range of 550 (the way spell range and AA range are calculated means there is a 20 range difference on paper, but it's actually the same range.)

nerfing it to 550 spell range means to use it he has to be 20 units closer than his auto range to use the spell. Not only is that counter-intuitive as it circumvents all general ADC positioning (i.e. use your entire range to your advantage) it means a spell with an already awkward range requirement becomes even more awkward and makes it more dangerous than it already is to use it in a late game situation. it's an awful change.

Boken

Banned
I'm not including OGN because they play him in a stupid way that's not indicative of his power level.

but sure, if you want to include OGN, why not? 33.3% win rate,. Super OP, yeah?

And his power curve is like Tristana's :/ he plays completely differently, and Trist might take slightly longer to get to where she needs to, but she's also far stronger when she does get there.

winrate isnt the be all and end all. as you've pointed out, perhaps teams are playing him poorly. not to mention this next fact -

theres a thing i like to call "metagame relevance" though - 87.5% pick/ban rate. that number isnt a joke, nor is it a coincidence. lucian is something important, shitty win rate notwithstanding. Shen has been a problem for years, and not because of his medicore win rate. it was his ~90% pick/ban rate.

zkylon

zkylewd
winrate isnt the be all and end all. as you've pointed out, perhaps teams are playing him poorly. not to mention this next fact -

theres a thing i like to call "metagame relevance" though - 87.5% pick/ban rate. that number isnt a joke, nor is it a coincidence. lucian is something important, shitty win rate notwithstanding. Shen has been a problem for years, and not because of his medicore win rate. it was his ~90% pick/ban rate.
pretty much. he's played often enough to deserve a look, that's about it.

why does benevolent sound like malevolent?
because I'm paranoid since no one cares about what I have to say :/

Latin, man. You can't trust Latin.
huh

nerfing it to 550 spell range means to use it he has to be 20 units closer than his auto range to use the spell. Not only is that counter-intuitive as it circumvents all general ADC positioning (i.e. use your entire range to your advantage) it means a spell with an already awkward range requirement becomes even more awkward and makes it more dangerous than it already is to use it in a late game situation. it's an awful change.

Incorrect - his Q has been programmed to use auto attack range (ie "edge to edge"). Q has always been 570 edge to edge, which means you can actually land it slightly outside your auto attack range. Changing it to 550 makes it consistent with his auto attack range.

yqLIhTN.png

That makes no sense, the way he's used in competitive play is what is indicative of his power level.

That's like saying Annie and Fiddlesticks aren't retarded OP supports because they are balanced in their intended roles or that Jayce shouldn't have been nerfed because only his Muramana build was retarded. He's been pick or ban status in Korea for a while and easily a top 3 marksman and now that Jinx and Sivir got their nerfs guess who has free reign bot lane now?

which is why Korea is dumb right now. They're putting a huge amount of importance on a pick that's strong, but not OP, and one that they clearly don't know how to play properly.

other champions that have a high pick or ban rate have much higher win rates. He is the only champion with a pick or ban rate higher than 50% that has a win rate lower than 50%.

zkylon

zkylewd
Incorrect - his Q has been programmed to use auto attack range (ie "edge to edge"). Q has always been 570 edge to edge, which means you can actually land it slightly outside your auto attack range. Changing it to 550 makes it consistent with his auto attack range.

http://i.imgur.com/yqLIhTN.png
so basically they just streamlined so it's like his auto

it's basically the same as vayne's condemn nerf then

which is why Korea is dumb right now. They're putting a huge amount of importance on a pick that's strong, but not OP, and one that they clearly don't know how to play properly.

other champions that have a high pick or ban rate have much higher win rates. He is the only champion with a pick or ban rate higher than 50% that has a win rate lower than 50%.
my biggest problem with how riot buffs and nerfs champions is that it's so "untransparent" (opaque? lol)

like, I think orianna's pretty much perfect. she's safe, skill reliant though not oppressively so, team oriented, needs farm, etc. I'd love riot to say like "orianna is the champion we consider balanced, we'll balance the game to try to get champions around her level". something like that.

That makes no sense, the way he's used in competitive play is what is indicative of his power level.

That's like saying Annie and Fiddlesticks aren't retarded OP supports because they are balanced in their intended roles or that Jayce shouldn't have been nerfed because only his Muramana build was retarded. He's been pick or ban status in Korea for a while and easily a top 3 marksman and now that Jinx and Sivir got their nerfs guess who has free reign bot lane now?

what? that's a ridiculous comparison to make. It is literally nothing close to what you're saying. Koreans are playing him generally pretty poorly. Literally couldn't be further from anything to do with champion roles.

And Jinx and Sivir have been competitively available much less than Lucian has. Believe me, Jinx and Sivir are going to be massive picks in competitive.

Jinx is already drawing many picks and bans in the challenger circuit.

cool. it's still unnecessary.

my biggest problem with how riot buffs and nerfs champions is that it's so "untransparent" (opaque? lol)

like, I think orianna's pretty much perfect. she's safe, skill reliant though not oppressively so, team oriented, needs farm, etc. I'd love riot to say like "orianna is the champion we consider balanced, we'll balance the game to try to get champions around her level". something like that.

For what it's worth, Riot has already said they consider her overpowered, and she's likely going to get nerfed. Morello said it, iirc.

Another champion with a high pick or ban rate that's strong, not overpowered, but people still moan about and Riot is going to nerf, because champions aren't allowed to be simply "strong" in the game.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw I feel for you that a champion you love is getting nerfed. I know I skipped a beat when I saw the ori nerfs on the pbe, and thankfully they rolled them back. we'll see, maybe they change their minds about lucian :/

btw I feel for you that a champion you love is getting nerfed. I know I skipped a beat when I saw the ori nerfs on the pbe, and thankfully they rolled them back. we'll see, maybe they change their minds about lucian :/

it's not that he's a champion I love. I enjoy playing him, sure, but not to the extent that i enjoy Fiora, Rengar, Quinn and Diana, and to an extent Hecarim.

I just don't like that a champion who is strong immediately has to be nerfed when he;s not overpowered.I'm more annoyed about their balancing practices than this particular champion getting a nerf being a sore spot for me.

Riot Olafing Diana is a bigger personal issue for me than Lucian ever will be.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's not that he's a champion I love. I enjoy playing him, sure, but not to the extent that i enjoy Fiora, Rengar, Quinn and Diana, and to an extent Hecarim.

I just don't like that a champion who is strong immediately has to be nerfed when he;s not overpowered.I'm more annoyed about their balancing practices than this particular champion getting a nerf being a sore spot for me.

Riot Olafing Diana is a bigger personal issue for me than Lucian ever will be.
yeah watching diana get beaten to a pulp was hard. I never got good at her but I kept trying and trying and right when I was getting the hang of it, nerf bat. and again and again.

For what it's worth, Riot has already said they consider her overpowered, and she's likely going to get nerfed. Morello said it, iirc.

Another champion with a high pick or ban rate that's strong, not overpowered, but people still moan about and Riot is going to nerf, because champions aren't allowed to be simply "strong" in the game.
don't take it out on me bro :(

don't toy with my heart :(

I can't take another oluxing :(

:(

yeah watching diana get beaten to a pulp was hard. I never got good at her but I kept trying and trying and right when I was getting the hang of it, nerf bat. and again and again.

They did the same thing with Hecarim. Overpowered champions that deserved a round of nerfs that got shit on over and over well past the point of being balanced, to the point that they're weak.

don't take it out on me bro :(

don't toy with my heart :(

I can't take another oluxing :(

:(

don't worry, we can both share the pain of Syndra getting nerfed because she became popular.

zkylon

zkylewd
Didn't you hear, mid laners get free pass at bullshit unless you're an assassin in which case gg
I dunno what's this supposed to mean

assassins were the dominant class in mid lane until the nerfs. after the nerfs gragas and nidalee got nerfed

no one escapes the nerf bat

no one but teemo

assassins were the dominant class in mid lane until the nerfs. after the nerfs gragas and nidalee got nerfed

no one but teemo

V3.12:

Noxious Trap
Gold award increased to 10 from 0.

V3.11: Twisted Treeline and Crystal Scar only

Noxious Trap
Duration reduced to 3 minutes from 10.

not even Teemo...

Yeah Diana is pathetically weak, which sucks because she's one of the best designed champions in the game. Her kit is unique, fun to play, her character design is really good.

Probably the only champion I've played where I feel like I need at least 3 items before I'm even strong, and this is when I'm ahead. Until I get Zhonyas + Sorc Boots + Rabadons + Lich Bane/Rylais/DFG I don't feel like I do any damage. Compare that with Fizz who I played for the first time today, and once I got a double kill to go 4-2 and picked up my Lich Bane, I was able to burst down basically anyone on the enemy team with relatively little difficulty outside of a couple tanks.

Honestly if they just buffed the w shield, q damage, and her mana problems she'd be perfectly balanced. I really don't see how she would be overpowered when you consider she has some very rough lane matchups with anyone that out ranges her. That her q is so expensive makes it extremely difficult to farm with it.

Riot's balance team is confusing. At least they did a good job with Zed. So far.

I thought the new masteries would work in Diana's favor but I could barely notice it.

It's mostly a joke, they don't escape but it takes really fucking long for them to even consider nerfing. Gragas took years of competitive play, Ori hasn't been touched in years, Twisted Fate was allowed to do whatever the fuck he wanted for two seasons, and so on.

Meanwhile assassins can barely survive one or two patches of being strong before they get gutted. See Talon, reworked Kat, Season 3 Akali, Diana, Rengar, Kha Zix, etc etc etc.

Yeah Diana is pathetically weak, which sucks because she's one of the best designed champions in the game. Her kit is unique, fun to play, her character design is really good.

Probably the only champion I've played where I feel like I need at least 3 items before I'm even strong, and this is when I'm ahead. Until I get Zhonyas + Sorc Boots + Rabadons + Lich Bane/Rylais/DFG I don't feel like I do any damage. Compare that with Fizz who I played for the first time today, and once I got a double kill to go 4-2 and picked up my Lich Bane, I was able to burst down basically anyone on the enemy team with relatively little difficulty outside of a couple tanks.

Honestly if they just buffed the w shield, q damage, and her mana problems she'd be perfectly balanced. I really don't see how she would be overpowered when you consider she has some very rough lane matchups with anyone that out ranges her. That her q is so expensive makes it extremely difficult to farm with it.

Riot's balance team is confusing. At least they did a good job with Zed. So far.

The Zed and Ahri changes were some of the most intelligent balance changes Riot ever made.

It gave me hope that they were going outside the box a bit more, rather than just saying "well this guy is strong right now, let's just chop off numbers, because that solves everything!".

What they did to Diana was completely ridiculous.

"Hey, you know that champ we pretty much removed from the game two patches ago only to buff her back last patch? We're nerfing her again and making her shield shit!"

"It's okay though, we kinda sorta buffed Nashor's Tooth, she loves that right"

"Hey, you know that champ we pretty much removed from the game two patches ago only to buff her back last patch? We're nerfing her again and making her shield shit!"

"It's okay though, we kinda sorta buffed Nashor's Tooth, she loves that right"

Nashor's Tooth is situational on her as well.

They really should buff her.

The Zed and Ahri changes were some of the most intelligent balance changes Riot ever made.

It gave me hope that they were going outside the box a bit more, rather than just saying "well this guy is strong right now, let's just chop off numbers, because that solves everything!".

Saddest thing for me was I never got to play Diana before the nerfs. She was the first 6300ip champ I bought because I wanted a versatile champ that I could play in both the top and mid lanes, that would be a decently safe pick and I could learn to play her into almost any matchup.

What I got was a mid lane only champ (lets be honest) that has a ton of painful matchups, mana issues, pathetic laning phase 9/10 times unless you're laning against someone similarly weak (eg katarina/akali), that scales incredibly slowly into late game...

I really hope they buff her like they did to Olaf at some point. I ended up refunding the skin I got for her simply because she's trash and I can almost never pick her in ranked because how often do you get to pick mid into katarina/akali.

EDIT: Is there ever a reason to build Nashors on Diana unless you're jungling? I tried an on hit build ones with Nashors/Lich Bane/Rylais but it was pretty unimpressive. I sort of feel like a Lich Bane is essential on her at the moment though because her q->r->w->r combo simply doesnt do enough burst to assassinate carries until you hit 4+ items.

Is there ever a reason to build Nashors on Diana unless you're jungling? I tried an on hit build ones with Nashors/Lich Bane/Rylais but it was pretty unimpressive. I sort of feel like a Lich Bane is essential on her at the moment though because her q->r->w->r combo simply doesnt do enough burst to assassinate carries until you hit 4+ items.

You don't even build it when you're jungling. There are far more essential items.

You would build it if you're split pushing, or if you're mid against something immobile like Lux, Syndra, Brand etc. where you know you can get the autos in and make use of the attack speed and on-hit.

Boken

Banned
I thought the new masteries would work in Diana's favor but I could barely notice it.

It's mostly a joke, they don't escape but it takes really fucking long for them to even consider nerfing. Gragas took years of competitive play, Ori hasn't been touched in years, Twisted Fate was allowed to do whatever the fuck he wanted for two seasons, and so on.

Meanwhile assassins can barely survive one or two patches of being strong before they get gutted. See Talon, reworked Kat, Season 3 Akali, Diana, Rengar, Kha Zix, etc etc etc.
Riot hired ghostcrawler just so that he wouldn't nerf mages.

It is an important job

zkylon

zkylewd
insec's lee sin is a sight to behold

problem with assassins is that for the longest time they've mostly relied on having no counterplay to their burst to be even viable. if you can counterplay their burst they're useless (since all they do is blow up single targets), which is why they deal their damage so fast and often have silences.

mages also have some shitty patterns (I think xerath is super fucking annoying to play against, same with ziggs, nidalee, lux, syndra and orianna to a degree), but there's always skillshots, mana issues, low survivability and other ways to get to them.

the change to zed is a pretty good one, not only his ult is now a lot more interesting but I like specially his slower w (which feels like crap but whatevs) gives you reaction time and allows you to catch or escape him. I'd love to see akali, leblanc, etc. get the same treatment

EDIT: Is there ever a reason to build Nashors on Diana unless you're jungling? I tried an on hit build ones with Nashors/Lich Bane/Rylais but it was pretty unimpressive. I sort of feel like a Lich Bane is essential on her at the moment though because her q->r->w->r combo simply doesnt do enough burst to assassinate carries until you hit 4+ items.
it's very good for splitpushing since you melt turrets like nobody's business

That red Trinket usage. Holy shit.

I fear that the buffs might be too much now. 60s cd is crazy

I really think they need to buff other trinkets.

As it stands, there's zero point to not delay upgrading yellow trinkets before everything else. 475G is too much for "free" wards.

Blue trinkets are kinda underwhelming right now though the buffs might be nice.

zkylon

zkylewd

As it stands, there's zero point to not delay upgrading yellow trinkets before everything else. 475G is too much for "free" wards.

not upgrading yellow trinkets as laners is alright, you should be buying green and pink wards and focusing in damage/tankiness as a laner anyways.

buff to blue trinket gets me excited, it's the most fun for me at least.

Did they ever consider having Diana's R also work on minions/allies/wards?

I feel like that would make top lane Diana viable.
would be fun, but probably not what diana needs. her pre-6 is too weak and she's too snowball reliant right now

I mean look at the other big assassins, everyone but kassadin (leblanc, zed, fizz, ahri) have very strong pre-6 laning. diana is as shitty as kassadin, but doesn't scale as stupidly well

Boken

Banned

arent they buffing everything but yellow trinket?

last game showed me how well a winning team can use red trinket. im afraid that the red trink buffs might be too much? idk doe
it doesn't reveal invisible champions

it does when upgraded :)

arent they buffing everything but yellow trinket?

last game showed me how well a winning team can use red trinket. im afraid that the red trink buffs might be too much? idk doe

It's still like 80%+ people using the yellow trinket, I think it'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom