• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw new athenes still feels like shit

as ori you literally spend all your mana trying to do blue buff, it's awful

it's not even like they added a choice or anything, they simply nerfed champions that can't run only morellos

i don't think that made mid more interesting whatsoever, just less fun :/

Sofo

Zky your image got my hopes up -_- It's been like that for Thresh for a week or so .___.

I think it should be possible to climb only as jungler, idk how it works in NA, but in EUW it's one of the most unpopular picks along with support. I think that has to do with how uptight and toxic the community is in EUW. I rarely if ever see glaring amounts of toxicity on NA streamers, but when I spectate Krepo or some EU ones, it gets to the point where it's really embarrassing. And Jungle and Support are the default scapegoats for everyone.

Everyone in EUW is like "mid mid mid mid or feed, mid mid" lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
http://a.pomf.se/zhglns.webm

pretty nice combo me and my friends pulled off today. we didn't kill them all cos we were behind (i actually die to teemo shrooms like 5 seconds later lol) but it was cool, you don't get many 5 man ori ults often

Zky your image got my hopes up -_- It's been like that for Thresh for a week or so .___.

sorry, hadn't played in like a week and saw it and felt the brunt of the soul crush

my friends call me "whale" these days cos i drool so much over skins

new cassi gives me a headache

should i q between e's or just e a lot like always

and q doesn't feel like it speeds up for shit

ehhh
You gotta keep your Q poison up to take advantage of the E debuff. So basically E a lot but make sure to Q every 3 seconds.

My only problem with Cass is that I still don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to build. Everything I do feels wrong.

Nev

Banned
btw new athenes still feels like shit

as ori you literally spend all your mana trying to do blue buff, it's awful

it's not even like they added a choice or anything, they simply nerfed champions that can't run only morellos

i don't think that made mid more interesting whatsoever, just less fun :/

Nope, fuck Orianna/Ziggs/Syndra. I hope they can't stay in lane forever and spam all they want just with one chalice. Now they'll have to learn mana management. Or go back to Zed or Xerath because they are trash when they play without infinite mana.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nope, fuck Orianna/Ziggs/Syndra. I hope they can't stay in lane forever and spam all they want just with one chalice. Now they'll have to learn mana management. Or go back to Zed or Xerath because they are trash when they play without infinite mana.
i know i'm dumb and i tend to misread but did you just say xerath is a good champion? as in better designed than anyone?

rito pls cancel shitty ahri and make this jinx skin!
don't get mad at me crab!
I don't like it, but it's better than Ahri's new skin - which isn't something difficult to accomplish quite frankly - so there's that. Her weapons don't really stand out next to vanilla Jinx though for a 'fantasy' theme, so eh.

Nev

Banned
No, I'm saying he has a stupid free mana built in passive so bad players who thought they were good because they could literally spam all of their abilities everytime they were out of CD as Orianna, Ziggs, Syndra, Ahri etc. can play him and keep doing it.

No, I'm saying he has a stupid free mana built in passive so bad players who thought they were good because they could literally spam all of their abilities everytime they were out of CD as Orianna, Ziggs, Syndra, Ahri etc. can play him and keep doing it.
4447_a734rzq73.png

You gotta keep your Q poison up to take advantage of the E debuff. So basically E a lot but make sure to Q every 3 seconds.

My only problem with Cass is that I still don't know what the fuck I'm supposed to build. Everything I do feels wrong.

Dunno about this new Cass, but I used to go Tear->Rylai with Sorc Shoes somewhere there. I maxed E first.

This new one dunno.
Q (base): 235 (+ 45% AP)
Q (+40%): 329 (+ 63% AP)

2 stacks of E increases Q's damage by 94 (+ 18%). It's really not much compared to 155 (+ 55% AP) from E itself. I'd probably still max E first. The loss of increased MS is a pretty big blow to ranking Q. Besides, Lv1 Q's MS boost is higher than before.

zkylon

zkylewd
"mana management" is a dumb goal to have to begin with. should malphite or whatever have to deal with mana issues the whole game? no, they buy one item, and solve their mana issues, because the game changes as it moves on and suddenly the game is less interesting if people have to worry about having enough mana for their ultimates. winning by attrition is boring as fuck, which is why sustain is always nerfed in the game. it's lame to just stand there and win because the other team couldn't heal as fast as you could, which is why new baron is more fun than the old one

the problem is that nerfing athenes doesn't change anything. if you play xerath you'll just buy double morellos and have infinite waveclear again. the right way to nerf infinite waveclear is the way rito has already done it. you wanna sit in base just stalling with ziggs for a million minutes? well enemy team just got baron and now their minions are hard as hell to kill, or they got a bunch of dragons and they now crush your turrets and can towerdive you with liek true damage and shit. that way you don't win by attrition, you win by action, which is way more interesting.

and nerf champions individually if they're overpowered, don't hurt an entire class (and supports too btw) because of fringe cases.

and your interpretation of xerath's passive makes no sense. the whole point of the passive is so that he CAN'T spam all day and he has to put himself in danger for it. saying it's for bad players' benefit is misinterpreting it completely.

edit: also your selection of champions is totally random. what's ahri doing there? should every champion with waveclear be considered trash or whatever? so brand, zyra, karma, anivia, karthus, are they terrible too? i don't get it.

I don't like it, but it's better than Ahri's new skin - which isn't something difficult to accomplish quite frankly - so there's that. Her weapons don't really stand out next to vanilla Jinx though for a 'fantasy' theme, so eh.
i tried ;_;

btw i played a chogath top game to try what you said and man the ult has like no animation, wtf! i didn't know what to buy so i ended up going for roa anyways, so i have failed you twice today

yeah the new design ended up being kind of all over the place.

i'm thinking of doing tear into straight deathcap and then seeing about rylais/zhonyas.

cassi feels like mad dependent on the superscaling of her passive with deathcap passive, so i think that's about as core as it can get for her

Dunno about this new Cass, but I used to go Tear->Rylai with Sorc Shoes somewhere there. I maxed E first.

This new one dunno.
Q (base): 235 (+ 45% AP)
Q (+40%): 329 (+ 63% AP)

2 stacks of E increases Q's damage by 94 (+ 18%). It's really not much compared to 155 (+ 55% AP) from E itself. I'd probably still max E first. The loss of increased MS is a pretty big blow to ranking Q. Besides, Lv1 Q's MS boost is higher than before.
yeah, maxing q for me makes no sense, i rarely did it with old cassi and you're gonna mostly waveclear with e's anyways since poison is so unreliable for last hits

Sofo

http://a.pomf.se/zhglns.webm

pretty nice combo me and my friends pulled off today. we didn't kill them all cos we were behind (i actually die to teemo shrooms like 5 seconds later lol) but it was cool, you don't get many 5 man ori ults often

sorry, hadn't played in like a week and saw it and felt the brunt of the soul crush

That's a 3k MMR ulti right there ;o Had you guys been even/a bit ahead that wombo-combo would have decimated them.

And you are forgiven... maybe... Depends on how long the new batch of skins takes to land on live.

Leezard

and nerf champions individually if they're overpowered, don't hurt an entire class (and supports too btw) because of fringe cases.

If an item is too strong then it is too strong, it's just like when everyone had to start BoRK on adcs/whatever or when all top laners built wriggles lantern in lane. You don't nerf an entire class just by nerfing athenes; now both morellos and athenes are viable.

Also, no supports were nerfed by nerfing athenes.

zkylon

zkylewd
If an item is too strong then it is too strong, it's just like when everyone had to start BoRK on adcs/whatever. You don't nerf an entire class just by nerfing athenes; now both morellos and athenes are viable.
i don't disagree but athenes feels like a joke now, you get 40 mp5 at like 20% mana.

and it's not really a choice since the items aren't really that different. you are either a champion that can survive with just one morellos, or you suffer through athenes and hope to god blue buff never gets stolen

you can do two morellos but i don't think anyone can argue for that being an elegant solution to the problem

morellos in general is a shitty, uninteresting item that's cool because it's cheap. athenes is also uninteresting. change them, make them more differentiated, you know, take the opportunity to give mids more fun items. starving mids for mana doesn't accomplish anything except making the game less fun for the mid that doesn't get blue buff

they do for chalice/mikaels, but it's true that they don't feel it as much since (most) supports aren't as spammy

That's a 3k MMR ulti right there ;o Had you guys been even/a bit ahead that wombo-combo would have decimated them.

And you are forgiven... maybe... Depends on how long the new batch of skins takes to land on live.
took a few more ults like that to turn the game around but we won in the end

If an item is too strong then it is too strong, it's just like when everyone had to start BoRK on adcs/whatever or when all top laners built wriggles lantern in lane. You don't nerf an entire class just by nerfing athenes; now both morellos and athenes are viable.

The thing is you don't nerf an item this hard on the same patch you change how mana regen works. The reason of the MP5 changes was so they could change champion mana regen on a case by case basis, but what's the point if you're just gonna give every mid laner the same base regen and nerf the fuck out of Athene's?

And Chalice was nerfed as well, that hurts supports.

zkylon

zkylewd
The thing is you don't nerf an item this hard on the same patch you change how mana regen works. The reason of the MP5 changes was so they could change champion mana regen on a case by case basis, but what's the point if you're just gonna give every mid laner the same base regen and nerf the fuck out of Athene's?
this too

the regen changes are kind of interesting, but yeah, you can tell they're gonna do the actual changes at a later point

personally i would like to see chalice go away and make a general "mana regen" item that splits into other high level mana regen items with different goals and uses. so maybe a more defensive item that gives mr and restores a % of the damage caused as mana (so like waveclear = good), a higher ap item that maybe has an active that restores a chunk of mana on use but that it's on a very long timer that resets if you get a kill, an item that let's you overload mana that's spent on your next attack and boosts its damage, things like that. i'm (sadly) no riot game designer but that's the direction i would like to see for mid laners, no more getting rewarded for running out of mana and instead replacing it for different items that educate the way you're gonna play. similar to what they did with junglers

i think tomorrow is ori and threshie day <3

ed: also sadly the video also documents my friend's terrible thresh moves but he redeemed himself a bit later.
ed2: i duno why i replied to your post twice lol
ed3: oh right it's 10 am and i'm still awake thats why

Leezard

i don't disagree but athenes feels like a joke now, you get 40 mp5 at like 20% mana.

and it's not really a choice since the items aren't really that different. you are either a champion that can survive with just one morellos, or you suffer through athenes and hope to god blue buff never gets stolen

you can do two morellos but i don't think anyone can argue for that being an elegant solution to the problem

morellos in general is a shitty, uninteresting item that's cool because it's cheap. athenes is also uninteresting. change them, make them more differentiated, you know, take the opportunity to give mids more fun items. starving mids for mana doesn't accomplish anything except making the game less fun for the mid that doesn't get blue buff

they do for chalice/mikaels, but it's true that they don't feel it as much since (most) supports aren't as spammy
It's not the best solution but I'm all for not letting athenes be the must-buy item mid. How mana regen works does indeed affect which mid laners are viable so the changes does accomplish something; no more infinite mana sustain despite a lack of blue buff. It's important to be able to deny the enemy mid laner huge mana regen by denying him blue.

And Chalice was nerfed as well, that hurts supports.
I don't have the exact numbers, do every mid laner have the same mana regen now?

Surely better balance could be reached in mid, but I think nerfing athenes was good. It was way too much of a must-buy for most mid laners. Was it not needed with mana regen changes? perhaps.

I don't think supports were hit nearly as hard by the changes. Were Chalice/mikaels nerfed less than athenes or is it simply because they have less need for it?

Not all mids but most of them
Ahri, Anivia, Annie, Azir, Cassiopeia, Diana, Fizz, Galio, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Jayce, Karma, Karthus, Kassadin, Kayle, LeBlanc, Lulu, Lux, Malzahar, Morgana, Nidalee, Orianna, Ryze, Swain, Syndra, Twisted Fate, Veigar, Vel'koz, Viktor, Xerath, Ziggs, Zilean, Zyra

Athene's definitely needed changes but seeing as Riot is trying to buff it now it clearly was the wrong way to go about it.

Personally I wish Riot would just get rid of the MR and lower the price on Chalice / Athene's (add a NMM to Mikhaels recipe) and try to focus Athene's on being more of a siege / poke / wave clear item.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not the best solution but I'm all for not letting athenes be the must-buy item mid. How mana regen works does indeed affect which mid laners are viable so the changes does accomplish something; no more infinite mana sustain despite a lack of blue buff. It's important to be able to deny the enemy mid laner huge mana regen by denying him blue.
is double morellos every game better tho?

i buy athenes just to test it but it feels really bad

i'm sure it's not that awful but i don't find myself making more decisions. or more importantly, better decisions.

I don't think supports were hit nearly as hard by the changes. Were Chalice/mikaels nerfed less than athenes or is it simply because they have less need for it?
yes, mikaels has more base mp5 which makes it a lot better than athenes

morellos is 100% mp5
athenes is 50% mp5 + 2% max mana per 5
mikaels is 100% mp5 + 2% max mana per 5

Athene's definitely needed changes but seeing as Riot is trying to buff it now it clearly was the wrong way to go about it.

Personally I wish Riot would just get rid of the MR and lower the price on Chalice / Athene's (add a NMM to Mikhaels recipe) and try to focus Athene's on being more of a siege / poke / wave clear item.
i like mr because mr encourages you to take risks. you put yourself in more danger if you have mr than if you do not because you're given more tools to survive being in danger. if you don't have the mr then you're gonna play more safe and if there's one thing that's not needed from mages is safety

the mr is already pretty low and it's not like mages are not one shot by everyone already so really i don't think the mr matters

Leezard

is double morellos every game better tho?

i buy athenes just to test it but it feels really bad

i'm sure it's not that awful but i don't find myself making more decisions. or more importantly, better decisions.

yes, mikaels has more base mp5 which makes it a lot better than athenes

morellos is 100% mp5
athenes is 50% mp5 + 2% max mana per 5
mikaels is 100% mp5 + 2% max mana per 5

i like mr because mr encourages you to take risks. you put yourself in more danger if you have mr than if you do not because you're given more tools to survive being in danger. if you don't have the mr then you're gonna play more safe and if there's one thing that's not needed from mages is safety

the mr is already pretty low and it's not like mages are not one shot by everyone already so really i don't think the mr matters
You don't see everyone buying double morello, right? Nevertheless, they must give up two item slots instead of a single item slot. It's slightly better that way, I'd say. It's certainly not perfect though.

Thanks for the stats on the items. Supports were certainly hit less.

I don't agree with the mr thing, though. Less mr means that more aggressive mages can thrive, while more mr means that the passive farming mages are safer and can play more passive.

Sofo

took a few more ults like that to turn the game around but we won in the end

i think tomorrow is ori and threshie day <3

ed: also sadly the video also documents my friend's terrible thresh moves but he redeemed himself a bit later.
ed2: i duno why i replied to your post twice lol
ed3: oh right it's 10 am and i'm still awake thats why

Nice! Glad you won! I hope it's tomorrow because I've been feeling the itch to play Thresh lately (I am nowhere near to where I want to be with him yet, but I am improving). Tbh, I have derped with Thresh like your friend before, so I mean, it happens. Worst is when you try to predict someone's movement and they just stand still. And I'm like "why would you just stand still DD;".

I am awesome. That's why you replied twice. ;o

zkylon

zkylewd
You don't see everyone buying double morello, right? Nevertheless, they must give up two item slots instead of a single item slot. It's slightly better that way, I'd say.
no, not everyone, because the whole thing is fairly new and most people tend to just stick with what they know

it definitely doesn't feel like a choice to me right now, and some champions feel flat out worse. it's preseason and it'll get better but i'm disappointed mid didn't get any love in s5

like, blue buff got nerfed, new blue elixir is garbage and chalice/athenes got nerfed. no new items or anything.

the one thing i've enjoyed so far is the mejais change but you don't buy mejai's every game

I don't agree with the mr thing, though. Less mr means that more aggressive mages can thrive, while more mr means that the passive farming mages are safer and can play more passive.
i don't know about most people, but i tend to play more aggressive when i get my chalice since i know i can get away with better trades if the other mid has like tear or a couple faerie charms or something

i tend to play more aggressive than most mages i've seen tho. like you can see in the webm above, i tend to position myself pretty aggressively and take a lot of damage than i should because i find pew pewing from the back really boring. i probably shouldn't play like that but i do what i have to do for the plays

but tbh, i can't imagine a ziggs with less mr going for plays.

and i don't think ahri/fizz/lebonk have any trouble killing mages with athenes as it is. it'd be a buff to them for sure but why do these champions need buffing again?

Nice! Glad you won! I hope it's tomorrow because I've been feeling the itch to play Thresh lately (I am nowhere near to where I want to be with him yet, but I am improving). Tbh, I have derped with Thresh like your friend before, so I mean, it happens. Worst is when you try to predict someone's movement and they just stand still. And I'm like "why would you just stand still DD;".

I am awesome. That's why you replied twice. ;o
yeah i guess everyone that's played their fair bit of thresh has had their yellowstar moments

i still struggle with the new ult timing which is like 8 months old

Leezard

no, not everyone, because the whole thing is fairly new and most people tend to just stick with what they know

it definitely doesn't feel like a choice to me right now, and some champions feel flat out worse. it's preseason and it'll get better but i'm disappointed mid didn't get any love in s5

like, blue buff got nerfed, new blue elixir is garbage and chalice/athenes got nerfed. no new items or anything.

the one thing i've enjoyed so far is the mejais change but you don't buy mejai's every game
yeah, in normal games it will take some time for people to adapt. I was thinking of the competitive games we can see recently. Not all of them went for the double, right? It's possible they all went for it, I can't remember completely.
i don't know about most people, but i tend to play more aggressive when i get my chalice since i know i can get away with better trades if the other mid has like tear or a couple faerie charms or something

i tend to play more aggressive than most mages i've seen tho. like you can see in the webm above, i tend to position myself pretty aggressively and take a lot of damage than i should because i find pew pewing from the back really boring. i probably shouldn't play like that but i do what i have to do for the plays

but tbh, i can't imagine a ziggs with less mr going for plays.
If you buy it to go aggressive then that's fine and a decent use of the item; not the uses I think is bad.

I think that you can buy damage if you want to make plays. You buy mr if you don't want to die. Sure, you can sustain for a longer fight with AP + mres, but you can still buy abyssal if you want that. It's wshitty on Ziggs though so it's not an option for most mages.

Old Athenes had lots of sustain, decent AP and lots of mr. You bought it no matter what you wanted to do as it simply was too good. It allowed losing Ziggs to sustain and farm forever despite being denies blue buff.

garath

More Rek'sai, more fail. Lol. I really like the champion. I think she has an interesting kit but I'm really struggling to find a good niche with her. Teamfights are an absolute mess. She offers no good CC, if you dare try to knock up multiple people you'll just get blown up. She's not that tanky. I may try 9/21 masteries but then I'll lose a lot of damage. It's also really tough to keep tunnels up anywhere near the enemies. Her ult feels a bit lackluster in that regard. The best I managed with it was setting up a trap for toplane with a tunnel in the brush. But that requires the enemy top laner to not check the brush lol.

On the plus side her clears are great. Sustain is good. Picking people off solo is pretty easy especially with stalkers jungle item. She offers a surprising amount of solo damage and chase potential. Objective control is pretty good as well. Getting some tunnels around dragon when it's about to come up can go a long way.

Nightblue seems to really like the AP rek'sai and just play her as a poke champ. Looks kinda boring really. I haven't wanted to try it yet.

Bob White

I just peel for the adc when I'm Rek. Quick pop up into full combo on some assassin carry. I never go in on their back line because, like you said, she gets blown up every time.

More Rek'sai, more fail. Lol. I really like the champion. I think she has an interesting kit but I'm really struggling to find a good niche with her. Teamfights are an absolute mess. She offers no good CC, if you dare try to knock up multiple people you'll just get blown up. She's not that tanky. I may try 9/21 masteries but then I'll lose a lot of damage. It's also really tough to keep tunnels up anywhere near the enemies. Her ult feels a bit lackluster in that regard. The best I managed with it was setting up a trap for toplane with a tunnel in the brush. But that requires the enemy top laner to not check the brush lol.

On the plus side her clears are great. Sustain is good. Picking people off solo is pretty easy especially with stalkers jungle item. She offers a surprising amount of solo damage and chase potential. Objective control is pretty good as well. Getting some tunnels around dragon when it's about to come up can go a long way.

Nightblue seems to really like the AP rek'sai and just play her as a poke champ. Looks kinda boring really. I haven't wanted to try it yet.
She's a control jungler like Nunu/Mundo/Shyv but with no utility or teamfighting potential. You're better off counterjungling all day and trying to hunt down the enemy jungler.

Her mid lane ganks are decent, though, so if you have to gank somewhere I'd go with that.

btw i played a chogath top game to try what you said and man the ult has like no animation, wtf! i didn't know what to buy so i ended up going for roa anyways, so i have failed you twice today
wqpsul.jpg

It's Nightblue, don't expect a sensible thought process.

Jeff-DSA

I played one game all week. I was one win from a promo series, and I just didn't have any time all week to play. So yeah, come Saturday night I get my chance and queue up. I don't want to dodge, because if I do I can't get back to promos with a single win, so I decide to take whatever I get dealt.

I got a team with $%#ing jungle Twisted Fate. "I saw UOL do it and it's great."

He sucked. Their jungler was AFK the entire game and we still lost. We lost a 4v5 and it was the most frustrating thing ever. That dumb crap TF jungle was so itchy to engage he was always dead before the fight and we honestly would have been better off without him.

I should have just taken the full week off.

drawkcaB

I played one game all week. I was one win from a promo series, and I just didn't have any time all week to play. So yeah, come Saturday night I get my chance and queue up. I don't want to dodge, because if I do I can't get back to promos with a single win, so I decide to take whatever I get dealt.

He sucked. Their jungler was AFK the entire game and we still lost. We lost a 4v5 and it was the most frustrating thing ever. That dumb crap TF jungle was so itchy to engage he was always dead before the fight and we honestly would have been better off without him.

I stopped playing on Saturdays. It's the one day where I'm guaranteed to have an overly frustrating match.

Leezard

My condolences.

That's what off-meta picks that require special knowledge will bring to solo queue once LCS teams play it. It's hilarious when it doesn't happen in your own games.

cHinzo

Wanted to test Galio out with the new buff on his ult (which is amazing), so I picked him support. I haven't seen a Galio played in years and suddenly we had a mirror match support Galio bot.
chansub-global-emoticon-c8a77ec0c49976d3-22x30.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom