• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT8| Goodbye, Promos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Typically you max Q first if you go for a more AD-heavy build with ie, while you max W first if you go for the attack speed heavy build with bork.
The second game went much better, though part of it was having a good Braum while the enemy support was Soraka. That meant they did not have much CC.

I maxed Q and I think I went BOTRK, boots/shiv, IE, GA. The support added me after the game which was cool.

Sofo

Btw, I never realised how much Varus can chug you down. Yesterday I was being a scrub and got hit by just about every of his abilities, and damn they hurt!

Also, does anyone hate having Soraka as their support? I just feel she adds little to no pressure in lane. She is basically a huge bag of potions but it feels like you are 1v2ing? Maybe that's just me being inexperienced as ADC (I do tend to need a bit more babysit than I'd like to admit).

Jeff-DSA

Played with the worst Azir I've ever seen. On top of feeding up Leblanc until she was too fat for her cape, he pushed kills away from the team with his ult multiple times. It got to where the other team was thanking him for his help.

Then I played a game with support Zyra and all was wonderful again. It's so fun catching 3-4 guys in her ult with seeds down while you also hit her Q and E. They all melt.

Nope, that's a pretty common reaction to having a Soraka, especially if you're against a lane with big all-in threat. If you look at the best support players, they normally play Leona, Thresh, Braum, Morgana or perhaps Karma or Sona (the braindead easy champs that I play to auto-win lane with no skill). They all have decent to excellent lane presence, apart from arguably Morgana, who offers excellent peel against the hard-engage types.

Played with the worst Azir I've ever seen. On top of feeding up Leblanc until she was too fat for her cape, he pushed kills away from the team with his ult multiple times. It got to where the other team was thanking him for his help.

Then I played a game with support Zyra and all was wonderful again. It's so fun catching 3-4 guys in her ult with seeds down while you also hit her Q and E. They all melt.

That Azir is basically me whenever I play Alistar. The headbutt button always calls my name.

Newt

Most of the times that I've played with Soraka, the lane goes quite well. I make crazy trades early on, she heals the damage, and then we just zone them out.

I really dislike laning with Thresh though.

Sofo

Really? I've never laned with a Thresh yet, but I think if the Thresh is half decent, he can fuck shit up nicely imo.

I just prefer supports with a stun I feel, but idk. I love having a Leona with me, that's for sure.

Newt

Really? I've never laned with a Thresh yet, but I think if the Thresh is half decent, he can fuck shit up nicely imo.

I just prefer supports with a stun I feel, but idk. I love having a Leona with me, that's for sure.
He's very skill dependent, unlike say Blitz.

Also, Sivir is currently the highest winrate champion in diamond!
568d130450805e9b9e5fbc8d96d60145.png

That's almost 60%, nerf pls

Seriously though, I can't play Sivir for the life of me anymore. It was so much easier when rank 1 ult was stupid QQ

Tizoc

Gonna give Shyvana a go, hadn't used her in a long time.
Man I hope that Fiora rework comes. I want to love her but she's so damn boring.

My last game was me as Morde vs. Fiora. I can lane against her fine but when my abilities are on cooldown, there's barely anything I can do lol.
...but I kinda get what you mean, but late game she could dominate and her ult making her untargetable is annoying.

I must know their secrets...

Sofo

I am no Newt but I assume as Sivir you want to analyze what can fuck you over and be ready to spellshield it (audio cues help), learn to use your ult both offensively and defensively, be aware of your rank, poke a lot with Ricochet and so on.

I have been itching to play her but I know I am not there yet as far as positioning/awareness. I tend to rely on ADCs with a tad bit of mobility.

As if Ori went anywhere in the past 2 years.

What variety is going to be there when assassins basically dictate that mid will be played by 6ish champions only? Was the jungle fun when all that was worth playing was Lee Kha Elise Eve Panth and Wu? Mid has a big-ass pool of viable champions, assassins being the meta as opposed to simply viable turns it into top lane and if I wanted to play that I would just go ahead and bang my head on a wall while asking for ganks.

I mean, fuggit, I'll just abuse LeBlanc until she gets nerfed and/or permabanned but this can't go on for too long.
You say that mid has a big-ass pool of viable champions, yet when assassins were not favoured you'd hardly witness an increase in overall variety with re-occuring picks in solo queue and the competitive scene. If it ain't Fizz / Zed / Yasuo, it'd be just as narrow of a selection consisting out of sustained DPS / poke / whatever mages in their place. Truly riveting stuff. Both 'metas' are just as bad in this regard; the community at large is narrow-minded and suffers from so much selective memory to the point they always deem only a handful (or less) as valid picks, on top of refusing to properly adapt if need be. "Oh man, a snowball champion? Better stubbornly bash my head against a wall thinking a squishy AP mid will work out for me this time!"

Not to say there aren't numerous champions that are legitimately strong in mid lane (or elsewhere), but the community is too pre-occupied with their finger-pointing mentality alongside overblowing the supposed problem cases in any given lane. Especially when we're talking about the god damn solo queue circus. Too much crying about Lee Sin excelling at everything (which he sure as fuck doesn't) for example or wittle Zed being too scawy or whoever else comes to mind instead of looking for alternatives (in a roster with 100+ choices) that abuse their weaknesses. You could argue about how League being in a constant state of flux interferes with this, but extreme exceptions that dominate everything else rarely slip through for an extended period of time anymore if at all, barring sweeping pre-season rebalancing.

Not to mention being riskier to pick immobile ADCs that aren't Sivir unless you have a Janna, stuff like Kass, Lulu and Zilean being common again, everybody suffers.
Immobile ADC's don't get picked either way, so let's not pretend assassins are exclusively to blame. Go look at bot lane instead with the likes of Corki / Ezreal / Lucian / Caitlyn / Tristana / et cetera running rampant at different points in time because they have an escape while still able to outtrade or outscale those who don't. Varus, Draven, Miss Fortune, Ashe and the like have been left behind for months on end with and without assassins.

Tizoc

Gonna try Rengar on Top later today would this be good starting items for him
5 Pots+Armor cloth or boots

Or should I just go the usual Doran+1 Pot?

You say that mid has a big-ass pool of viable champions, yet when assassins were not favoured you'd hardly witness an increase in overall variety with re-occuring picks in solo queue and the competitive scene. If it ain't Fizz / Zed / Yasuo, it'd be just as narrow of a selection consisting out of sustained DPS / poke / whatever mages in their place. Truly riveting stuff. Both 'metas' are just as bad in this regard; the community at large is narrow-minded and suffers from so much selective memory to the point they always deem only a handful (or less) as valid picks, on top of refusing to properly adapt if need be. "Oh man, a snowball champion? Better stubbornly bash my head against a wall thinking a squishy AP mid will work out for me this time!"

Not to say there aren't numerous champions that are legitimately strong in mid lane (or elsewhere), but the community is too pre-occupied with their finger-pointing mentality alongside overblowing the supposed problem cases in any given lane. Especially when we're talking about the god damn solo queue circus. Too much crying about Lee Sin excelling at everything (which he sure as fuck doesn't) for example or wittle Zed being too scawy or whoever else comes to mind instead of looking for alternatives (in a roster with 100+ choices) that abuse their weaknesses. You could argue about how League being in a constant state of flux interferes with this, but extreme exceptions that dominate everything else rarely slip through for an extended period of time anymore if at all, barring sweeping pre-season rebalancing.
The existance of variety and the possibility of variety are two completely different things. Just because some champions are popular does not mean others aren't playable. Assassins on the other hand drain that possibility, because if you pick anything that suffers from assassins and suddenly there's a Fizz in the next pick you're done, while the existance of say Xerath wasn't making something like a Lux pick suicide. Counterpicking sounds like a great idea, but guess what does counterpicking mid lane assassins means? Picking Ori/Syndra/Azir every fucking game because every other mid is not retarded enough to deal with this shit thanks to Riot nerfing them in multiple ways for no fucking reason between mana regen and mid game base stats, and if I wanted to pick the same shit to fight the same shit over and over and over and over I would just play one of the 4 other roles, and once Azir and co get nerfed we're back to late season 3 with Zed Vs Fizz Vs Kassadin Vs LeBlanc every single fucking game.

Forget balance for a second, this simply isn't fun. I'm taking a break from mid and if Riot agrees with you I'll just stay away from it.
Immobile ADC's don't get picked either way, so let's not pretend assassins are exclusively to blame. Go look at bot lane instead with the likes of Corki / Ezreal / Lucian / Caitlyn / Tristana / et cetera running rampant at different points in time because they have an escape while still able to outtrade or outscale those who don't. Varus, Draven, Miss Fortune, Ashe and the like have been left behind for months on end with and without assassins.
Varus, Miss Fortune and Ashe don't get picked because they are bad with wonky kits that are very counterable. During the same time Corki and co were strong you also see Twitch, Jinx, Kog, Sivir being very strong and sometimes dominant picks and the only reason they were played during League of Assassins besides Sivir is because you had stuff like double shield comps with Lulu/Ori, Zilean, Janna, etc. Draven is hard to play and when it comes to solo Q often not worth the effort, same for competitive.

Sofo

Man, fuck Azir, what an annoying and unfun champion to play against...

You could say we had worse things to worry about than Azir but jesus that was an annoying match.

6I4WI0h.png

Edit:

Aah this is more like it! Their team was better at dragons (we were always late or we were too weak) but the hole we made at mid and bot was too big for them to play. I got some really nice hooks and flays, compared to my usual mediocrity. One of them was the typical hook that stopped Vi mid flight :3 She was easily readable though. Graves played really poorly and we couldn't make a bigger dent due to Galio cockblocking us. Also for the very first time I used Mikael's really fast on what could have stopped us from winning (maybe!). We were beating their nexus towers, we just beat mid inhib and we had super minions coming from bot, I was zoning Galio because I knew he wanted to flash in and ult. As soon as our Ahri got near our Jinx, I saw Galio flash in and ult. I was keeping distance and use Mikael's on Ahri (Jinx had a GA so even if she died we would be able to recover and I wanted the Charm from Ahri). Ahri got it and she and Jinx cleaned up and it was clean up duty after that.

lykK6RX.png

Aaah, can't wait to feed out of my ass with Blood Moon Thresh!

Pd. Dobe is a scrub and was too busy "eating" to play. Boo! Who needs to eat?! You're a creature from the Void!

garath

There are games I just wish I could strike from the history Lol. Just had the worst sejuanj game if my life. I picked the wrong masterirs, was playing hearthstone when the game started and got executed on the wolves and missed like 3 early easy ganks instead dying to the solo laner. It snowballed from there. Terribly.

It was the wrong masteries that hurt me the most. I had to back so many times early.

Tizoc

There are games I just wish I could strike from the history Lol. Just had the worst sejuanj game if my life. I picked the wrong masterirs, was playing hearthstone when the game started and got executed on the wolves and missed like 3 early easy ganks instead dying to the solo laner. It snowballed from there. Terribly.

It was the wrong masteries that hurt me the most. I had to back so many times early.

What are your usual masteries?

drawkcaB

I'll never understand the fascination with whatever the meta happens to be here. There isn't a single person on these boards for which it matters. Play what you like.

I'll never understand the fascination with whatever the meta happens to be here. There isn't a single person on these boards for which it matters. Play what you like.
Huh? How does it not matter? What the game is played like at higher levels determines what is popular around solo queue. You think stuff like Zed suddenly doubling in pick rate doesn't affect normal people?

Newt

There's no real secret to playing Sivir. Have good reaction times, spell shield high priority enemy spells (like Zed ult), look for easy picks with ult, and waveclear with W when on the defense.

It does matter. How often did you see Liss top a month ago?

I think I play so many ARAMs that I'm at the point where a lot of the people I see are on ARAM only accounts. No one man should see all these Sonas.

FFS, I went against a team of Brand, Lux, Jayce, Xerath, and Akali earlier today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom