• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

No, actual framerate drops during the battle.
In the IGN review, at the 3:37 mark, you can see how terrible the Big Octo fight is.

Its been like that since the original. Intential slow downs. Its the same during the Gohdan fight and when using the cannon against those Pirate ships.

Busaiku

There's actual video though.
I initially thought it was just the player, but after watching it again, and another site corroborating that, it's definitely an issue.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
We were both in those threads, you don't need to play dumb and who's arguing? All I did was make a one off comment that I was disappointed in the new features list. You in return wrote a huge list of minor changes in regards to that. Acting like no one ever called it a remake or just a few people and acting like there was any sort of consensus on what this is is kind of untrue, dude.

Nah, it was true. There was far more remaster talk than remake, at the very LEAST enough to make a post like "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" from you into a post literally directed at no one, with no point other than to ruffle feathers. You aren't new to this game, you don't think it was supposed to be a remake, no one who had posted in the thread so far said it was supposed to be a remake, the Wind Waker site actually uses the word remaster explicitly, it was an antagonistic post.

Who am I being antagonistic towards? What are you even talking about? You replied to me first, dude. Maybe you're reading my posts in some angry tone or something.

Calling the enormous list of changes "still pretty sad" is just trollbait, when it's easily one of the most significant lists of changes among remastered games in history (I pasted that list from the other thread, for the record, but if you really thought I wrote it in reply to you this time then your one-line reply to it was pretty disrespectful to the time you must've thought I took), and responding to a remaster post with "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" when, like you said, we were both in those threads, is just a disingenuous and smark-aleckey response when no one you were responding to (me or BY2K in particular) had ever called it a remake.

Your posts in the review thread leave me just dumbfounded, though. I have absolutely no idea what you actually believe at this point, or what you're even trying to say. It's gonna be too messy to figure it out, and this thread doesn't need any more of our bullshit. Sorry, GAF.

Yaaaaay Wind Waker!

Nah, it was true. There was far more remaster talk than remake, at the very LEAST enough to make a post like "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" from you into a post literally directed at no one, with no point other than to ruffle feathers. You aren't new to this game, you don't think it was supposed to be a remake, no one who had posted in the thread so far said it was supposed to be a remake, the Wind Waker site actually uses the word remaster explicitly, it was an antagonistic post.

Calling the enormous list of changes "still pretty sad" is just trollbait, when it's easily one of the most significant lists of changes among remastered games in history (I pasted that list from the other thread, for the record, but if you really thought I wrote it in reply to you this time then your one-line reply to it was pretty disrespectful to the time you must've thought I took), and responding to a remaster post with "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" when, like you said, we were both in those threads, is just a disingenuous and smark-aleckey response when no one you were responding to (me or BY2K in particular) had ever called it a remake.

But whatever, this thread doesn't need more of our bullshit. Sorry, GAF.

Yaaaaay Wind Waker!
I said I thought this was a remake because he asked me why I thought the list was still sad. It's sad that this is called a remake and this is the best they could come up with when compared to other games, even from Nintendo's own catalogue, they didn't do enough.

Especially with a thread like this, everyone seems to think it is one..

How was my reply disrespectful? I don't think any of those changes are significant at all. What do you want? A point by point response to each one? Maybe for you they are significant. I don't know. To me something significant would be a new scenario or dungeon, or quest.

No, actually I do think it's supposed to be a remake. Just like OoT3D is supposed to be a remake. It just so happens to not be a very good remake imo. You want to keep using remaster to twist what it is to justify its price and the work that was done and avoid saying the word. Fine, whatever. If I was really trying to troll, I would have just called it a port.

You bring up the official site but even Aonouma calls it a remake.

Dorygrant

Has it been confirmed whether glitches such as super swimming, wind waker dive, etc. work in the HD version?

Would be the best speedrun.

There's actual video though.
I initially thought it was just the player, but after watching it again, and another site corroborating that, it's definitely an issue.

Yes, actual video of a boss fight that had slowdown in the original. It's intentional. Probably to show that you - you know - just shot cannon balls out of your small boat.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No, actually I do think it's supposed to be a remake. Just like OoT3D is supposed to be a remake. It just so happens to not be a very good remake imo. You want to keep using remaster to twist what it is to justify its price and the work that was done and avoid saying the word. Fine, whatever. If I was really trying to troll, I would have just called it a port.

Okay well this clears up SOME things. I honestly thought you were saying everything sarcastically. But your "I would imagine in the process of allegedly remaking the game from the ground up" post blew my mind.

What source has "alleged" that the game was remade from the ground up? It's the original engine and code, with enhancements built on top of it. That's just facts, no one has ever claimed otherwise. When you "remake a game from the ground up" it does not mirror the polygonal structure of the original game exactly, nor does it have categorically identical physics, nor do glitches endemic to the original engine appear once again. OOT3D is also not a remake, for these exact same reasons. It is the original code, glitches, skeleton, physics and all. Just improved upon after being ported to the new machine. Not rebuilt from the ground up. If you had a different definition of "remake" than me that would be fine, I parted amicably with another guy earlier about just defining words differently, but you seem to believe that remake means the same thing I believe it means. You just.. don't seem to realize that this game isn't that.

It's not rebuilt from the ground up. This isn't me debating you, I am telling you that. Aonuma being loose with his english in an interview doesn't mean anything, he's just shootin the shit. Maybe he uses the word remake to encompass both "true remakes" and remasters, we've seen already that different people just use the words differently. But don't mistake him: he is not implying that the game was rebuilt from the ground up. Regardless of the word people use, this game is in the same category as other old game engines that have been ported to new hardware, and then worked on to improve them.

mishakoz

Forgive me for being an a-hole about something so minor, but really, they couldnt fix this? You sail for easily the majority of the game, and water clipping into the boat is still a thing? Bothered me to no end in the original, really was hoping they'd fix it.

jJ10Exm.png

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Forgive me for being an a-hole about something so minor, but really, they couldnt fix this? You sail for easily the majority of the game, and water clipping into the boat is still a thing? Bothered me to no end in the original, really was hoping they'd fix it.

When you sail through the ocean in a tiny boat it's not uncommon for water to splash into it. It improves the sense of realism!

<_<

>_>

oatmeal

Banned
GameTrailers' review was really solid. It touched on everything that no one else seemed to (the Triforce quest updates and stuff)...

Their score wasn't great, but that comes down to preference.

mishakoz

GameTrailers' review was really solid. It touched on everything that no one else seemed to (the Triforce quest updates and stuff)...

Their score wasn't great, but that comes down to preference.

Yeah, i feel like I know all the important differences, and I also like the graphical comparisons in the review.

Sadist

From the Iwata Asks interview

Iwata: Actually, if you look closely at the world of The Wind Waker, it has its own sense of reality that’s takes advantage of its anime-themed world. It’s so inventive with a lot of bright ideas packed in that you think “Wow! So much detail!” But I suppose I notice those things as president of Nintendo because I try to see its charms! (laughs)

Aonuma: Well, there’s a clear split with those who are reluctant even to try it.

Iwata: But I think that has changed recently.

Aonuma: There’s a “Zelda cycle.”

Iwata: Yes. Bill Trinen-san at Nintendo of America—who always plays a big role in preparing the overseas versions of The Legend of Zelda games—always talks about the Zelda cycle.

Aonuma: Basically, as time progresses, negative opinions about The Legend of Zelda turn into positive ones. At first, I wasn’t sure about that, but seeing the response to The Wind Waker HD, I think it may be right.

Iwata: And it isn’t restricted to The Wind Waker. Every time a new Zelda title comes out, there’s no shortage of negative opinions, but a year or two later, people are revising their opinions, and its reputation goes up.

Aonuma: The response of fans in North America was like that for The Wind Waker. When we first announced the original version in 2001, the majority of voices we heard were against it. However, the responses for the Nintendo Direct we aired in January were incredibly favorable. Also at the Nintendo Experience event at Best Buy which was held at the same time as this year’s E3, a lot of people lined up in front of the single demo station for The Wind Waker HD in each store, saying they really wanted to play it. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Mario Kart 8.

Iwata: This might jinx things, but we weren’t able to expand the reach of the Nintendo GameCube hardware to the fullest, so even if people thought it looked good, a lot of them didn’t buy the hardware and decided to wait it out.

Aonuma: The other thing I could say is that we upended a lot of things with The Wind Waker, and we continued to do so beyond that as well. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had serious and photorealistic looks, and then The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had a painting like look with its half cel-shaded animation. It keeps changing with each new release.

Iwata: To that point, I think a part of the reason that the sentiment for The Wind Waker is increasing is that people have now seen both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, and have realized that The Wind Waker did have its own appeal.

Aonuma: I suppose so.

In other words, 'sup Treehouse!

Nintendo needs to stop reading Gaf. The Zelda Cycle was the biggest lie they could've bought into. Wind Waker and SS are still and will always be the weakest 3D Zelda games due to their inherent design.

ced

WW was the last Zelda I could actually enjoy, and I don't see that changing with their motion control future.

Price is ridiculous though, if this ever gets to $20 I'll pick it up for a replay.

Violet_0

Banned
Nintendo needs to stop reading Gaf. The Zelda Cycle was the biggest lie they could've bought into. Wind Waker and SS are still and will always be the weakest 3D Zelda games due to their inherent design.

there really isn't a consensus among Zelda fans, and the majority of them would disagree with you there. TP generally seems to be the least-popular 3D game in the series

jJ10Exm.png

the boat never really got to me, but his arm going through the shield was unforgivable.
And sadly it's still the same
y8ew.png

still buying day 1, but i wish they had fixed this.

there really isn't a consensus among Zelda fans, and the majority of them would disagree with you there. TP generally seems to be the least-popular 3D game in the series
That's crazy talk. TP is probably the best of the 3D Zelda games or at least neck and neck with OoT. Nintendo needs to stay on the path they set with TP. Such a grand and beautiful game. I'm afraid we'll get nothing like it from them anymore.

Coconut

Banned

What design is that? I'll give you that SS is designed in a "it insults my intelligence" kind of way, but WW is the last Zelda that actually had exploration.

Xun

jJ10Exm.png
Not really an easy thing to fix to be honest.

FSLink

Banned
That was in the original so it is probably intentional, as weird as that sounds.

Wiimote makes zero sense for this game.

Disagree since pointer control is awesome, and to me the Nunchuk+Wiimote is comfortable as hell....but the gyro controls in the Wii U Gamepad serve as a good substitute. I still wish it was an option. :p

Timeaisis

Hmm...I have a pro controller. I wonder which I'll be using for this. I don't know if there was any word on gamepad + pro controller support? A la pikmin 3.

Rhapsody

Banned
Disagree since pointer control is awesome, and to me the Nunchuk+Wiimote is comfortable as hell....but the gyro controls in the Wii U Gamepad serve as a good substitute. I still wish it was an option. :p

I would've liked that as well. Just make a dedicated sword button instead of waggle (since they wouldn't be implementing one to one) and I might've used it here and there. Plus I'd get to enjoy the short novelty of the wiimote for the Wind Waker.

FSLink

Banned
I would've liked that as well. Just make a dedicated sword button instead of waggle (since they wouldn't be implementing one to one) and I might've used it here and there. Plus I'd get to enjoy the short novelty of the wiimote for the Wind Waker.

Yup. I also wouldn't have minded TP waggle but I'm probably in the minority.

For any New Yorkers (or people around there) who still want the limited edition, Nintendo World Store just tweeted this:

Nintendo World Store &#8207;@Nintendo_World

10/3 - The Legend of Zelda:The Wind Waker HD sails into #NintendoWorld @ 8pm. 200 Limited Edition copies up for grabs

BUeGKwXCQAAAwcK.jpg:large

Is it sad that actually seeing a Wind Waker HD case with gold foil cover completely changes my opinion? I thought the "yellow" background looked less desirable in the original packshot art, but seeing an actual box, it looks like it'll go nicely with the gold foil Skyward Sword art.

Top Bottom