• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Really? How about going through every Wind Waker HD topic this year.

Do your own legwork if you're trying to make an argument. The last several Wind Waker threads have involved large amounts of discussion around what kind of game this is, drawn parallels to OOT3D, Kingdom Hearts, and FFX/X-2, and discussed the value proposition therein. Any actual discussion ends the exact same way: we agree that Wind Waker HD is a remaster, but with more effort put into it than most remasters.

If you'd like to find some one-off posts from misguided individuals arguing that it's a remake, feel free, but all you'll manage to prove is that "some guy called it a remake once, take that." There was no community rallying behind any remake talk, who do you think you're "sticking it to" with that "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" post? The consensus is clear, and has been clear for ages.

I don't know why you need to be so goddamned antagonistic about every single little thing.

Kanyon

BTmEi6UCYAAFhLi.png:large

Fuck me that looks absolutely delicious. Nintendo showing how HD remasters should be done... Goes to show how important artstyle is when it comes to graphics.

Do your own legwork if you're trying to make an argument. The last several Wind Waker threads have involved large amounts of discussion around what kind of game this is, drawn parallels to OOT3D, Kingdom Hearts, and FFX/X-2, and discussed the value proposition therein. Any actual discussion ends the exact same way: we agree that Wind Waker HD is a remaster, but with more effort put into it than most remasters.

If you'd like to find some one-off posts from misguided individuals arguing that it's a remake, feel free, but all you'll manage to prove is that "some guy called it a remake once, take that." There was no community rallying behind any remake talk, who do you think you're "sticking it to" with that "I thought this was supposed to be a remake" post? The consensus is clear, and has been clear for ages.

I consider it a remake, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as stuff like SM64DS or Pokémon SS/HG and maybe something more along the lines of OOT3D. For me, I consider games like this a remake if they not only completely revamp the graphics/audio, but readjust the gameplay enough to make it feel brand new. In this case, while the temples and islands and whatnot will obviously still be the same things, the bloom and the new graphics alone give off a different vibe than from what I perceive from the original and they've made some significant changes to the endgame because people weren't happy with it; in other words, it feels new enough to me to label it a remake.

Personally, I think it's above OOT3D since that was largely just largely a graphically-enhanced port. You could also present similarities to other HD remasters such as KH 1.5, but aside from orchestrated music and some graphical/gameplay touch-ups, they're still largely the same games. I don't think there's a explicit answer since I feel there's such a thin line between constitutes as a remaster or a remake, but I'm not about to argue with anyone about it. Let people think what they want.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I think WWHD, and maybe OoT3D, are in an in between category, between a remaster and a remake. They do more than a remaster, but don't do anything beyond what is essentially "touching up" the game. Super Mario 64 DS is a perfect example of a game that's different enough to be a remake. KH 1.5 is the perfect example of a remaster. I don't know what you would call this category, though.

Remaster+?

If you absolutely had to classify WWHD as one or the other, I would think that it is an elaborate remaster. There are no significant gameplay changes beyond what are essentially edits to certain parts of the game (Triforce pieces, sail) and nothing brand new has been added.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I consider it a remake, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as stuff like SM64DS or Pokémon SS/HG and maybe something more along the lines of OOT3D. For me, I consider games like this a remake if they not only completely revamp the graphics/audio, but readjust the gameplay enough to make it feel brand new. In this case, while the temples and islands and whatnot will obviously still be the same things, the bloom and the new graphics alone give off a different vibe than from what I perceive from the original and they've made some significant changes to the endgame because people weren't happy with it; in other words, it feels new enough to me to label it a remake.

Personally, I think it's above OOT3D since that was largely just largely a graphically-enhanced port. You could also present similarities to other HD remasters such as KH 1.5, but aside from orchestrated music and some graphical/gameplay touch-ups, they're still largely the same games. I don't think there's a explicit answer since I feel there's such a thin line between constitutes as a remaster or a remake, but I'm not about to argue with anyone about it. Let people think what they want.

I think "remake" is really quite easy to define. They make it again from scratch. "Re-made." OOT3D and Wind Waker HD are definitely not that. They're the original game code and engine, with changes applied on top of it. They're certainly both well above "port," which is reserved for the likes of Virtual Console releases. The "remaster" category has highs and lows in terms of volume of changes, highs in the OOT3D and WWHD area, lows like God of War and DmC trilogy. Wind Waker is certainly closer to a remake than something like the Team Ico collection (which I love, but they're really basically identical to the originals, but higher res and more performant), but when you look at something like the REmake or Metroid: Zero Mission, there's an extremely obvious difference.

I'd actually consider OOT3D to be a more significant remastering than Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker has more significant alterations to the gameplay, but OOT3D does a LOT more work with the visuals. I think Wind Waker just had more that needed to be fixed, really, in terms of the gameplay. The touchscreen and interface/inventory tweaks to OOT were all it really needed. Then on top of that you've got a new lighting engine, new textures, and a huge amount of updated/redone polygon detail. Wind Waker hits those first two boxes, but there aren't any model updates. Though like OOT didn't need much gameplay work, Wind Waker didn't really need much poly-work. I suppose one's just more redone visually while the other benefits more from gameplay enhancements. Both remasters either way!

I think "remake" is really quite easy to define. They make it again from scratch. "Re-made." OOT3D and Wind Waker HD are definitely not that. They're the original game code and engine, with changes applied on top of it. They're certainly both well above "port," which is reserved for the likes of Virtual Console releases. The "remaster" category has highs and lows in terms of volume of changes, highs in the OOT3D and WWHD area, lows like God of War and DmC trilogy. Wind Waker is certainly closer to a remake than something like the Team Ico collection (which I love, but they're really basically identical to the originals, but higher res and more performant), but when you look at something like the REmake or Metroid: Zero Mission, there's an extremely obvious difference.

I'd actually consider OOT3D to be a more significant remastering than Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker has more significant alterations to the gameplay, but OOT3D does a LOT more work with the visuals. I think Wind Waker just had more that needed to be fixed, really, in terms of the gameplay. The touchscreen and interface/inventory tweaks to OOT were all it really needed. Then on top of that you've got a new lighting engine, new textures, and a huge amount of updated/redone polygon detail. Wind Waker hits those first two boxes, but there aren't any model updates. Though like OOT didn't need much gameplay work, Wind Waker didn't really need much poly-work. I suppose one's just more redone visually while the other benefits more from gameplay enhancements. Both remasters either way!

Fair enough. We can just respectfully disagree, then.

I actually don't like the the little encore when playing a song is gone. I'll miss that.

Everything else is a welcome change though.

That's...really lame, actually. I can maybe understand why people would get tired of sailing, but something like that? lol

carlo6529

I don't know if I can justify buying a Wii U just because of WW HD. Might have to wait a bit longer. When is X supposed to hit? Probably next Christmas, eh?

Rhapsody

Banned
I actually don't like the the little encore when playing a song is gone. I'll miss that.

Everything else is a welcome change though.
Same. I'll miss it since I did enjoy that. I don't think it disrupted the pace too badly. At least not now with the faster sail.
I don't know if I can justify buying a Wii U just because of WW HD. Might have to wait a bit longer. When is X supposed to hit? Probably next Christmas, eh?
Just an ambiguous 2014 date. Hopefully it really is set for that year though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Fair enough. We can just respectfully disagree, then.

Indeed!

That's...really lame, actually. I can maybe understand why people would get tired of sailing, but something like that? lol

If you're just playing a song in isolation it's definitely not a big deal, but I appreciate it being cut down for situations like when you're in one of those little boat obstacle courses, fighting ships and evading pillars, and you gotta change the wind a lot (though the swift sail will certainly make those less of a pain in the ass). It'll be nice in the later dungeons where you have to use the command melody a lot, too. It's always been kind of annoying when you have a dungeon that requires playing a song over and over and over again. The Elegy of Emptiness in the Stone Tower in Majora's Mask is another great example. Hopefully they streamline that if they ever get around to remastering that game.

If you're just playing a song in isolation it's definitely not a big deal, but I appreciate it being cut down for situations like when you're in one of those little boat obstacle courses, fighting ships and evading pillars, and you gotta change the wind a lot (though the swift sail will certainly make those less of a pain in the ass). It'll be nice in the later dungeons where you have to use the command melody a lot, too. It's always been kind of annoying when you have a dungeon that requires playing a song over and over and over again. The Elegy of Emptiness in the Stone Tower in Majora's Mask is another great example. Hopefully they streamline that if they ever get around to remastering that game.

It's not such a big omission, but I always liked the choral encore so it'll be missed.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The gold will probably be limited though, right? Aren't Zelda games usually released in gold at first but then switched back to normal cases/cartridges/what-have-you for the next batch?

....? No. I don't think so. The original run of OOT was like that, as were some previous Zeldas, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

....? No. I don't think so. The original run of OOT was like that, as were some previous Zeldas, but that hasn't been the case for a while.

I guess I'm showing my age :/. It was like that for Ocarina of Time.

Edit: Majora's Mask too, apparently.

Depends on region, too. Skyward Sword stayed gold in NA (although it lost its metallic shine), but Japan and Europe got a non-gold cover after the first printing.

Ah good, I'm not totally crazy.

zroid

Banned

Depends on region, too. Skyward Sword stayed gold in NA (although it lost its metallic shine), but Japan and Europe got a non-gold cover after the first printing.

itf56

UK based lovers of free Nintendo tat should probably note that ShopTo is giving away a free keyring with their pre-orders.

BUSGoIvCEAEVpXu.jpg

I think WWHD, and maybe OoT3D, are in an in between category, between a remaster and a remake. They do more than a remaster, but don't do anything beyond what is essentially "touching up" the game. Super Mario 64 DS is a perfect example of a game that's different enough to be a remake. KH 1.5 is the perfect example of a remaster. I don't know what you would call this category, though.

Remaster+?

If you absolutely had to classify WWHD as one or the other, I would think that it is an elaborate remaster. There are no significant gameplay changes beyond what are essentially edits to certain parts of the game (Triforce pieces, sail) and nothing brand new has been added.
I would drop my pants if Nintendo takes this approach to Mario Sunshine. They could tweak a few small issues, like those few instances where the camera gets stuck behind something. I would love to see this come sooner rather than later.

TourianTourist

Neo Member
Yes that's what we've heard, but you get it from the auction house so... it probably appears in rotation after Dragon Roost.
No, it should be in rotation from the start. It's just that you can't visit Windfall at night and participate at the auction until after Dragon Roost... if I'm not mistaken.

But on your first trip to Dragon Roost, time is frozen. So, there will be no dusk to wait for. And you don't have the Wind Waker yet to learn the Song of Passing. And when you arrive at Dragon Roost, the Red King of Lions doesn't let you leave until after you've got Din's Pearl.

So, the earliest to participate at the auction is after Dragon Roost Cavern is done.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Buy the digital version and you won't have to see it.

Digital on a Nintendo system gets a huge NOPE from me. I think if I ever get a Wii U with this game, I'll buy the slip from a EU copy.

Anth0ny

Remaster+?

HD Remaster: God of War Collection, MGS Collection

HD Remaster+: Ocarina of Time 3D, Wind Waker HD, Street Fighter II HD Remix

Remake: Resident Evil (GC), Metroid Zero Mission, Pokemon Fire Red

I'd like to see Nintendo do more in the actual remake department, as they knocked it out of the fucking park with Zero Mission. An Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask remake from the ground up on Wii U would be really interesting.

However, it sounds like by not quite going the extra mile and putting out these "remake+" versions of their older games, they're able to crank them out fairly quickly. At this point in the Wii Us life, I think that's their best bet. I expect Galaxy to get this treatment next.

I'll wait for retail. I've never played this game before so I can wait a couple more weeks. Besides, it's not like I don't have a shitload of other games to play right now. Just for the WiiU I have yet to crack the plastic wrap on Pikmin 3 or NSMBLWiuU!

I'll wait for retail. I've never played this game before so I can wait a couple more weeks. Besides, it's not like I don't have a shitload of other games to play right now. Just for the WiiU I have yet to crack the plastic wrap on Pikmin 3 or NSMBLWiuU!

How dare you...

ampere

Really tempted. Can't make up my mind on this purchase.

On one hand the game looks so good and it's one of my favorites, on the other hand time & money.

3D Land will probably push me over the edge this winter to get the system if Zelda HD doesn't.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I'd like to see Nintendo do more in the actual remake department, as they knocked it out of the fucking park with Zero Mission. An Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask remake from the ground up on Wii U would be really interesting.

However, it sounds like by not quite going the extra mile and putting out these "remake+" versions of their older games, they're able to crank them out fairly quickly. At this point in the Wii Us life, I think that's their best bet. I expect Galaxy to get this treatment next.

I agree with the distinction. It's not a remake, but it's way more than a port, and more than a remaster

Btw, I disagree with the Galaxy tip: It's not a case that they did this for Oot and WW: Zelda games take longer than Mario games to be done (because the team is just one, because they handle the episode all as "main", without the divion into New-3D-Galaxy sub-series and so on)

Neiteio

Wow, I never noticed the Ganon brooch on Ganondorf before.
To add to this, not only does TWW Ganondorf have a Ganon brooch, but his robe also has twin dragons representing his surrogate mothers, Koume and Kotake, or at least I recall hearing that somewhere.

Halo Anniversary is another good example of HD remaster +.

Effect

If you preorder The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD at NewEgg (for a limited time) you get a $7 promotional gift card that ships four days after the game releases.

If you have the game preordered you likely have to resubmit the order. It didn't show up under my original order so I sent in another one and canceled the original one. If you have a discount already applied on your order as they send out promo codes from time to time I would try contacting customer service to see what can be done first.

Exile20

There are no other game out now are going out in the near future that you want or interest you at all?

Top Bottom