• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

TourianTourist

Neo Member
for the first time ever, i'm glad it's delayed in europe. I would have bought the digital version today and retail later otherwise. This way i just get retail on october 4th.
In my case I'm getting both anyway, because I want the limited bundle and the Limited Edition figurine. It would have been nice to have the bundle + digital release today.

Letep

I think we might need a selfie thread.

zlCfzRIUyVgTsgJgHR

You can take screenshots? Awesome!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Starting up a new game and getting to Forsaken Fortress, these things cross my mind as first impressions:

* Wow, this is one god damn clean looking game.

* If anyone thinks WW has a "slow" 3D Zelda opening, I can't agree. It's really fast but the caveat is I was never bothered by the first fortress and stealth.

* I am subtly impressed by how well the feel of the game has aged, which is to say, not at all. Character movement, animation, control - you would not think this is a 10 year old game compared to most other 3D action adventure games of its era.

You can take screenshots in maybe 98% of Wii U games. This though is taken with the in-game camera item.

Hah, beaten to it by GTA by 3 days.

Anyway, downloaded it last night at midnight and played a few minutes. It's Wind Waker alright. Bloom is bad but whatever, I'll deal with it.

xPhinehas

Oh man this looks good...Zelda is the reason I bought a Wii at all (and Monster Hunter) I may have to pick up a Wii U for this down the line!

Caved and just picked this up. Nintendo games releasing on pay days makes my wallet tremble. This is one of my favorite Gamecube games, and also my second favorite Zelda of all time, so I was going to pick it up eventually.

Those selfies are hilarious btw.

Coconut

Banned
Full on honestly, when there isn't a strong light source casting shadows on character models the game doesn't look very good.

zroid

Banned
I don't understand why the retail comes out later.

:/

It's not the retail coming out later, but the digital coming out early. A subtle difference, but an important one. (What takes longer, simply putting your game on the eShop to download, or pressing discs, manufacturing packaging, and then shipping to retailers?)

I wonder how the Zelda bundle will affect WiiU sales? Probably nothing big, but I'm seeing tons of 'just got my brand new Wii U', posts in the Zelda community...

A week and a half ago, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 was the most visually impressive HD remaster I'd ever played.

That didn't last very long. It's kind of unbelievable how amazing this game looks, my god. I always knew it would, as The Wind Waker hasn't aged a day graphically, but it's a pleasure just to stand still and look around in this game. The colors are SO VIBRANT.

One thing I'm surprised I haven't seen get more attention is the fact that it runs in 1080p. The Wii U gets so much (undeserved/incorrect) shit for being underpowered even by current-gen standards, when it's well-known that many (if not most) PS3 and 360 games max out at 720p or 840p. Now I'm no graphics whore and I think PS3/360 games generally look great, but after this no one should be questioning the Wii U's visual capabilities. (They will, though.)

D-e-f-

Banned

Dat Nintendo digital scam! ;)

I really wish the Wii U had Achievments/Trophies! It would give you that extra incentive to collect everything.

Take a screengrab, post to miiverse, add tag "accomplishment" = done. achievements on Wii U.

thank you i dont understand honestly where the confusion came from.

games press: game looks smooth, is a remaster = auto-assume it's 60. => post news, gaf threads get made about next gen resolutions, uninformed newssite gets used as a source for 60.

that's disappointing, i really like using the gamepad's headphone socket instead of my tv's. why would they not allow this?

it would help if you had read a little farther down the page to where people responded to him saying he was wrong.

Yeah. I agree. Nintendo are taking the piss really. Basically get a small team to up rezz a Wii game and charge full price for it. SMH.

Don't start this shit again. All you're doing is derailing the thread. It has been discussed to death already. You don't need to complain in every Nintendo thread about everything Nintendo does that you don't like. It's annoying.

Meesh

Just started up the game and wow does everything pop! The colors and brightness burn through my eye sockets, the animation is crisp, you actually get a feeling you're right there with "Saturday morning Link" on his birthday at the beach. BTW, shortest "tutorial" ever in a modern Zelda game I'm sure. Anyways, something I forgot was how well the story unfolded and how easy is was to believe the characters through their well placed expressions and dialog combined. You really believe Aryll and Grandma as characters...which is even more important when you realize this is the only time we've actually been exposed to his immediate family. This in itself only serves to deepen the Link character and the lore surrounding him as it raises more questions about his past and future...So far I'd just like to add this remaster is a Zelda fans dream come true :)

D-e-f-

Banned
I wonder how the Zelda bundle will affect WiiU sales? Probably nothing big, but I'm seeing tons of 'just got my brand new Wii U', posts in the Zelda community...

I honestly expect this to deliver a big push, even if it's for one month only before the Holiday rush starts. Zelda hype gets people nutters. Pair that with the price drop and a fresh bundle with a good library in place and more good stuff just around the corner...

Played a bit this morning before I went into the office. I got through the Forbidden Fortress and saved after talking with the King of Red Lions for the first time. Nostalgia is in full effect. It's all so familiar but it's been 10 years since I played it so everything is new at the same time. Loving it so far.

Just started up the game and wow does everything pop! The colors and brightness burn through my eye sockets, the animation is crisp, you actually get a feeling you're right there with "Saturday morning Link" on his birthday at the beach. BTW, shortest "tutorial" ever in a modern Zelda game I'm sure. Anyways, something I forgot was how well the story unfolded and how easy is was to believe the characters through their well placed expressions and dialog combined. You really believe Aryll and Grandma as characters...which is even more important when you realize this is the only time we've actually been exposed to his immediate family. This in itself only serves to deepen the Link character and the lore surrounding him as it raises more questions about his past and future...So far I'd just like to add this remaster is a Zelda fans dream come true :)

Thank God for the short tutorial. I am loving this game so far. In the middle of the Forsaken Fotress and after hearing that its the worst dungeons my hopes are going back up. This is the best forced stealth section in Zelda. Skyward Sword's was awful. Im just eating up the aesthetics and feel of the game so far.

Not too keen on some of the indoor lighting choices, the outdoors looks nice.

Think that I honestly prefer the more solid cell look of the original myself.

So for those who have played this, how is the 5.1 audio? I know in Pikmin 3 it was kind of quiet. Hoping it was a bit more dynamic here.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Oh man, facing the same issue as I am sure a lot of you are. I want this right now so damn bad, but I want the freaking box art too. This is my favorite 3D Zelda game, and I can't wait to five into it once more. What's a Zelda fan to do?

Cptkrush

Picked up the 32 gig Wii U bundle just for this game today. Can't wait to play one of my favorite games on GameCube in HD

Top Bottom