• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

hwy_61

Banned
I also have an iPhone 4. I always say the perfect time to upgrade an iOS device is when it doesn't support the latest iOS update.

izzyizzyizzy

Neo Member
Played this at the Zelda symphony in Seattle a few days ago. It's crazy how great it looks in HD.

Also everything about link in this game is great. Best part is his walk.

RomanceDawn

I have NO interest in this game any more! A working copy of the original is sitting right next to me!

With that being said, can someone explain to me why I want this so badly then?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I thought this was supposed to be a remake.

Who on earth ever said that?

I hope to god they dont design their dungeons from how it works to what the enviornment is. Enviornment to mechanics seems much better.

I'm sure that's exactly what they do. Most of Nintendo's games don't even have a semblance of a plot until they're like half-done. It's the most defining trait of what makes a Nintendo game, really. Gameplay first, everything after. To their boon or detriment.

New002

I missed this the first time around so I'm excited to catch it on the Wii U. Traditionally I've had trouble getting into the 3D Zeldas but I'm hoping things go differently this time. Link's Awakening is still my favorite of the Zelda games.

Mory Dunz

No.

This is how that room should look:
Zelda%20WW%2022.jpg

Eh, I like the "flat" coloring style and the bloom/depth style. They're different enough.

Having already played the flat style, I want to play the depth style.

I remember when this got announced, and people immediately assumed that Nintendo wouldn't change anything at all about the gameplay and would insist for months afterward that there all of the changes would just be touch screen menus or slightly cheaper chart translations.

CLBridges

I'm going to get the WW:HD Wii U bundle on 9/20. Nintendo is looking too good this fall/winter for me to wait anymore. I told myself I wasn't going to buy a WiiU but I feel Nintendo is really trying to turn things around. Also, I really want to get back into the LoZ series, the last LoZ I completed was ALttP in the 90's. Never played Windwaker and I'm reading good things about it, so I'm jumping in with this one and the new LoZ scheduled for the 3DS

Vidiot

It looks nice, and as a huge Zelda fan I was going to get it no matter what. Having said that is it odd I'm looking forward to the figure a bit more then the game? Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to check out WW in a new coat of paint, but it's all still been there done that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man

The HD one looks so much better. The actual lighting engine and the edits they've made to the color temperature of things throughout the game makes everything feel so much more coherent. Original Wind Waker there just looks "unfinished" now.

Man

The HD one looks so much better. The actual lighting engine and the edits they've made to the color temperature of things throughout the game makes everything feel so much more coherent. Original Wind Waker there just looks "unfinished" now.

Right? I really don't get how anyone can look at both those shots and say the GC one looks better.

Pretty ugly cover, but they get Hyrule Historia with their Wii U bundle :/

It's a tradition. Golden NES cartridge. Golden Ocarina of Time and MM cartridges. Golden disc for WW and TP. I think all of them here in NA have had golden box art except for MM, which was all purple and hazy.

Vicehii

Neo Member
It's a tradition. Golden NES cartridge. Golden Ocarina of Time and MM cartridges. Golden disc for WW and TP. I think all of them here in NA have had golden box art except for MM, which was all purple and hazy.

I believe MM had a limited gold cartridge release, yeah?

For the most part, they're pretty consistent putting out gold editions over in the US. I don't think the handheld games get the gold treatment though.

EDIT: Oh my bad! Misread that bit. Sorry.

For the most part, they're pretty consistent putting out gold editions over in the US. I don't think the handheld games get the gold treatment though.

I only got the regular version, I always wanted the 3D one. :(

I don't know if I'd use the term "unfinished" for the original, but yeah, the HD version is leaps and bounds over the original. In your example, I think they captured the musty, abandoned nature of Hyrule Castle now.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Eh, I like the "flat" coloring style and the bloom/depth style. They're different enough.

Having already played the flat style, I want to play the depth style.
I like both styles. The shadows on the HD version gives it a very different ambiance.

kizmah

Here I was assuming the Europe also gets the early digital. This was to be my first non-indie digital download. Oh well, I guess my GC-original will get boxed company.

Great OP snd really nice to see such hype for WW. Especially from people who haven't played it before and/or are buying Wii U with this. Hopefullt it will drive som great sales.

Ninja Dom

Real quick question: the Wii U bundle pack has the game ALREADY downloaded and installed on the Wii U or a free download that you initiate from the eShop or a free physical disc in the packaging?

Sorry about the n00b question.

Heretic

Real quick question: the Wii U bundle pack has the game ALREADY downloaded and installed on the Wii U or a free download that you initiate from the eShop or a free physical disc in the packaging?

I believe it comes with the download code. I'd love to be wrong though.

JDSN

Banned
I remember when this got announced, and people immediately assumed that Nintendo wouldn't change anything at all about the gameplay and would insist for months afterward that there all of the changes would just be touch screen menus or slightly cheaper chart translations.
To this day, some act as if that is all they did.

D-e-f-

Banned
Man

Right? I really don't get how anyone can look at both those shots and say the GC one looks better.

I wouldn't say the GCN shot looks worse or bad, it just looks like different lighting conditions. As if in the GCN shot, it's mid-day, sun is high and shining through a milky glass roof. In the WWHD shot, it looks like golden hour with the sun shining through a destroyed roof with beams and stuff obscuring the light causing the patterns.

Mistle

man, i remember seeing the 3D cartridge in a store display and was always disappointed when my copy didn't have it! at least it was gold though

Lexxism

I believe it comes with the download code. I'd love to be wrong though.

Like this guy said, the WiiU bundle comes with a download card and it's not pre-installed.

D-e-f-

Banned
As someone who was bored to tears by Skyward Sword, what are the chances I won't be by Wind Waker?

They're completely different so I don't know? Depends on how much you like/hate sailing or what your stance on the importance of dungeon design is.

Ganondolf

limited edition version pre-ordered.

I prefer the eu/jp box art. the us gold background does not like right.

also the eu limited edition box looks better than the windows style us box.

Ganondolf

As someone who was bored to tears by Skyward Sword, what are the chances I won't be by Wind Waker?

have not played skyward sword but I think wind waker has one of the best stories in the Zelda series. I think the sailing was the worse part but I think they have tried to fix it on the hd version

Well, it's a bit hard to say as I haven't played it again after Skyward Sword yet, but back in the days, I simply adored WW for being so different from the standard Zelda formula. Well a lot of stuff is still the same of course, but the artstyle, the setting, the charming characters and their expressions were so unique to the series.

There is a lot less hand-holding and the overworld has a lot more to offer than SS' did. Also the backtracking is there, but minimal, compared to SS.

Also as previously mentioned, the story is pretty good for a Zelda game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

The artstyle is more consistent. Seeing more realistic lighting (bloom, simulated global illumination [see Link's face, his jaw, and his neck and compare the two shots], etc... ) in a game with a strong cel shaded toon art style feels a bit weird.

Top Bottom