• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD |OT| Tingling with HD excitement...only 398 Rupees

Ryoku

I just realized. Since the original WW used an early form of tessellation (truform) for the water, is it possible that the HD remake uses a more modern tessellation?

D-e-f-

Banned
have not played skyward sword but I think wind waker has one of the best stories in the Zelda series. I think the sailing was the worse part but I think they have tried to fix it on the hd version

image.php
<- shameless self promotion. do not trust this gerudo!

So, whose PM inbox can I flood with hatred because of that terrible thread title

:mad:

I'll gladly receive your hate. Mind that it's my first OT and I tried to come up with something good. And I thought of, but eventually decided not to succumb to all those who screamed about the bloom in the screenshots and give it the short and simple title "In Bloom".

So sorry, if you don't like it.

My only issue with Wind Waker was that it was too short by series standards. Could have definitly used another 5 dungeons and maybe a few more tunics too. The Triforce hunt never bothered me because I had a map so I breezed right through it.

It's not too bad.

Certainly better than Pumkin Chunkin whatever.
Just as bad IMO.
I'll gladly receive your hate. Mind that it's my first OT and I tried to come up with something good. And I thought of, but eventually decided not to succumb to all those who screamed about the bloom in the screenshots and give it the short and simple title "In Bloom".

So sorry, if you don't like it.
You don't have to adhere to the popular vote, but if you're going to ignore it, at least come up with something better and more witty, not less.

Deep40000

Neo Member
Oh please, it's witty enough.

On topic: I am fucking EXCITED for this. I wish I could just go into a cryo-sleep for 1 week(or better yet 3 weeks since I'm also getting a boxed version).

totowhoa

Banned
Thread title is just fine, sheesh.

Man, I didn't know this was coming out so soon. So many games to buy over the next three months :(

I decided to wait on pulling the trigger for U.S. Ganandorf bonus, and of course it sold out on me (and then I got in trouble when my fiance found out! aw well).

Think I might hold off on picking this up until early next year since I'll be picking up a few Wii U games this quarter anyway. Super psyched to hear impressions of hero mode though.

Kater

Banned
Getting the Wii U Bundle since I sold off the Basic to a friend. It's a shame that we Europeans don't get an earlier eShop release date unlike you Americans. :(

Yanksfan

It is so weird. I was letdown by WW, to be honest, when I bought it at launch and I haven't played it since. Yet, this game (and Earthbound's release on VC), is making me look hard at a Wii U.

I think WW represented a shift in gaming at the time. Back then, I was severely put off on the constant replenishment of health and thus, the ease of the dungeons. However, I have begun to wonder if I would even notice it now because games have begun decidedly easier since then and my expectations are lowered as a result.

I also detested the fetch quest of course. But despite that, I really think I could play WW almost for the first time again and potentially appreciate it for something more than I did back in the day.

Did they put the treasure hunt mini game in this remaster? I ask because i haven't seen the treasure pulling in the videos i glanced over.

The HD one looks so much better. The actual lighting engine and the edits they've made to the color temperature of things throughout the game makes everything feel so much more coherent. Original Wind Waker there just looks "unfinished" now.
I think is the other way around. Having a more physcal accurate lighting model contrast with the stylized look of the game. The original has a more coherent visual style in that sense.
Well, it's a bit hard to say as I haven't played it again after Skyward Sword yet, but back in the days, I simply adored WW for being so different from the standard Zelda formula. Well a lot of stuff is still the same of course, but the artstyle, the setting, the charming characters and their expressions were so unique to the series.

There is a lot less hand-holding and the overworld has a lot more to offer than SS' did. Also the backtracking is there, but minimal, compared to SS.

Also as previously mentioned, the story is pretty good for a Zelda game.
The Wind Waker is pretty standard Zelda in terms of progression and mechanics. The art style is what sets it appart. The most unique Zelda games would have to be Adventure's of Link and Majora's Mask. Then you have the 2 DS games with far detached control schems and interfaces. Then after all of those we have something like Skyward Sword with its heavy focus on motion controls and the somewhat expanded dungeon desgin to the "levels"

With that said i think is pretty clear in what steps of the ladder the Wind Waker ends up in terms of been "different" to other Zelda games.

D-e-f-

Banned
It is so weird. I was letdown by WW, to be honest, when I bought it at launch and I haven't played it since. Yet, this game (and Earthbound's release on VC), is making me look hard at a Wii U.

I think WW represented a shift in gaming at the time. Back then, I was severely put off on the constant replenishment of health and thus, the ease of the dungeons. However, I have begun to wonder if I would even notice it now because games have begun decidedly easier since then and my expectations are lowered as a result.

I also detested the fetch quest of course. But despite that, I really think I could play WW almost for the first time again and potentially appreciate it for something more than I did back in the day.

It should help that both of those things have been addressed in this version with the reworked Triforce quest and Hero Mode.

My title suggestion would have been "I Just Bloomed Myself" but that's just me

bluemyselfygsm3.gif

approved.

Treasure pulling is still there, it's significantly faster though.
Great! Any video links for it. Want to see how the mini game looks in the Wii U touch screen.

But why did they make it faster, in some of the lay outs it was quite difficult to avoid the mines when pulling the crank up.

"Nintendo is Bloomed" was one of the best OT titles in recent memory. Too bad people were kind of sensitive to the reference XD

D-e-f-

Banned
Great! Any video links for it. Want to see how the mini game looks in the Wii U touch screen.

But why did they make it faster, in some of the lay outs it was quite difficult to avoid the mines when pulling the crank up.

"Nintendo is Bloomed" was one of the best OT titles in recent memory. Too bad people were kind of sensitive to the reference XD

You're talking about something different. You're referring to a minigame, everyone else here is thinking of general treasure "fishing."

Letep

I think I'm going for the digital release.

Super annoyed the LE Gamestop edition sold out.

Speaking of the digital release, $49.99?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nice OT, title does not compute.

Anyway, this baby will be waiting for me when I get home from Italy! (got married, yeay)

Why are you talking about Phantom Hourglass stuff in relation to Wind Waker?
Why? Because among the interface adjustments (like OoT), tweaks to items and quests or Miiverse integration i kind of hoped they added this really simple distraction which would totally fit the game's theme.

The tweaks that are present clash as much if not more with the original than the inclusion of that mini game ever could. No need for exaltation here. XD

oatmeal

Banned
Can't get over how much content GameXplain puts out.

Are they exclusively Nintendo? I haven't ever seen them break down a non-Nintendo game...but I haven't looked before.

I welcome them with open arms if they are, though.

D-e-f-

Banned
Can't get over how much content GameXplain puts out.

Are they exclusively Nintendo? I haven't ever seen them break down a non-Nintendo game...but I haven't looked before.

I welcome them with open arms if they are, though.

Gamexplain covered Bioshock Infinite and TLOU extensively, I think. At least one of those. They are primarily Nintendo-focused, though. But not exclusively.

edit: checked and it was the former. and not that extensively, I guess.

Mithos

Gold Member
Only Zelda game I´ve never beated... So tempted.

Only Zelda game I have never beaten again after finishing it once on Gamecube.

Hopefully all the improvements will take me past where I stopped playing on Gamecube when I tried again and again and again to play it a second time.

Gamexplain covered Bioshock Infinite and TLOU extensively, I think. At least one of those. They are primarily Nintendo-focused, though. But not exclusively.

edit: checked and it was the former. and not that extensively, I guess.

You might be thinking of Uncharted 3? I think they did a guide on that

Top Bottom