• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why Cafe Corner and Green Grocer of course!

First time hearing Cafe Corner. Is it still around?

Pet Shop is surprisingly still available but I have a feeling it will do a sudden disappearing act so if you are going for a collection and are the nervous type that should be it. Next to go would be Palace Cinema. Pet Shop gets alot of love around here but personally I feel Palace Cinema looks better on display. Pet Shop does fill in your block nicely if you are doing a street display though so I say, both?

Isn't Pet Shop kinda... bland? My problem with Cinema is that it's relatively empty in the inside.

Isn't Pet Shop kinda... bland? My problem with Cinema is that it's relatively empty in the inside.

Palace Cinema is fairly spectacular looking from the outside. The inside, not so much, but the great thing about interiors is that you can always mod them to your heart's desire.

First time hearing Cafe Corner. Is it still around?

Cafe Corner, Market Street & Green Grocer are all long out of print and obscenely expensive. Speaking as a lover of the them (I have the rest with the exception of the Bank) even I wouldn't spend the $$ to get the original three.

I think Siegfried may be the only one here who has all three of the originals - a few others have the Green Grocer and gush about it. It's horrible :)

melike75

Neo Member
Isn't Pet Shop kinda... bland?

Pet shops great! I love it. So much personality and character. Not as detail packed as later modulars of course but I like it. My 6 year old is building it at the moment :)

I think Siegfried may be the only one here who has all three of the originals - a few others have the Green Grocer and gush about it. It's horrible :)

How dare you PB! :p I just recently (as in the last 6 months) pulled apart all of my modulars and rebuilt them adding in all the lost pieces from over the years. I used to let the kids play with them back when they were real l'il tykes and things got lost. So, yeah, It was nice to return the Fire Brigade and the GG back to their former glory.

Rootbeer

Banned
More Disney CMF pics. Tails revealed:

DSCN7825.JPG

Do Mickey/Minnie not have mice tails? Disappointing as I was really wanting that to happen. Would be a nice piece to put on Mouse Guard figures.

Lol, no. It was released in 2007 and it wasn't as popular then, since people didn't know it would be a returning theme. A real one goes for thousands nowadays.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only pieces OOP production are the windows?

The opposite reason is why Town Hall price exploded. Short life and not heavily hoarded as many passed buying it.

Town Hall is probably the most underrated modular. The architecture and build is amazing.

So, yeah, It was nice to return the Fire Brigade and the GG back to their former glory.

I'm envious of your GG.

I let my kids play with them sometimes but it's pretty rare that they want to. They have their own castles / houses etc.

Town Hall is probably the most underrated modular. The architecture and build is amazing.

I agree 100%.

Fire Brigade has the opposite problem.
sorry

T.O.P

Banned
Not really feeling the Assault on Hoth ucs...was the Star Killer ucs confirmed? when can we expect it more or less?

Also just learned that on the 14th the Italy's first Lego Store will open D:
And it's like 5 hours from where i live :(((

Oh man. That's $40 less than MSRP. Save a lot more if don't end up paying taxes too.
I think I'll go that route for Disney CMFs. Never would have thought something on eBay would go for well under MSRP.

More Disney CMF pics. Tails revealed:

DSCN7825.JPG

Do Mickey/Minnie not have mice tails? Disappointing as I was really wanting that to happen. Would be a nice piece to put on Mouse Guard figures.

Dat tail!
All the better to sit on those new eggs in the Angry Bird sets.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only pieces OOP production are the windows?

I do regret not buying it. At the time, the $200 price was also a deterrent on top of lackluster reviews. It looks fine, but I heard a lot saying how boring of a build it was except for the top part. So far the Town Hall is the only modular I missed since I started with Fire Brigade.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I have been away for a bit, so has the upcoming 10252 Volkswagen Beetle been mentioned? It is priced at $99.99USD, the same as the Ferrari F40 and the Mini Cooper.

There was a previous Beetle released - set 10187 - but IMO it looked pretty rough, especially in the hood section. Hopefully the newer elements have resolved this issue.

This does put into question the Fairground Carousel. Set 10253 is Big Ben, and there is a set 10254 coming, but is that the Winter Village Train set or the Carousel? I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the information I have been provided, but to release a D2C vehicle, fairground, and advanced model in one year is atypical for LEGO.

The last two winter models have not been D2C exclusives anymore. Actually the vehicles have been readily available in stores here as well and the ferris wheel was not exclusive to Lego S@H either.

ghostmind

The last two winter models have not been D2C exclusives anymore. Actually the vehicles have been readily available in stores here as well and the ferris wheel was not exclusive to Lego S@H either.

That is true - I'm only using the old "D2C" term as a means to distinguish these types of sets.

In fact I think the only available LEGO D2C exclusive is the Classic Batcave, as the GB Firehouse is now available from retailers.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Anyone know of any good AFOL Lego forums? LEGOGAF is great but we're a bit shy when it comes to MOCs- now that we're in a bigger house i'm hoping to actually start building for fun again!

I was on Classic-Castle for a while but it's obviously a bit limited in scope, and outside of the official channels i'm not sure where people hang out any more?

Anyone know of any good AFOL Lego forums? LEGOGAF is great but we're a bit shy when it comes to MOCs- now that we're in a bigger house i'm hoping to actually start building for fun again!

I was on Classic-Castle for a while but it's obviously a bit limited in scope, and outside of the official channels i'm not sure where people hang out any more?

I'd love to see more people post their mocs in here.

Mine never get too crazy but I suppose I could take a few pictures and throw them up.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm hoping once I get settled in a permanent place I can start building and layout a city or something. The missus and I are in a 1 br apartment at the moment though, so space is at a premium. All I've got is the F40 sitting on top of my PC tower. Once I've got the space and time to build, this place will be the first drop for pictures.

This forum keeps me plenty busy and keeps up well with the rumors and stuff, but Eurobricks seems like it may be a good place to discuss and show MOCs. Most MOCs I come across are hosted on Eurobricks or Flickr. Flickr lacks the forum aspect though.

The LEGO fairy visited again. Time to build the maze!

But first...

Kitty loves Brick Bank. A lot. She damn near drove it off the table from rubbing on the corner so much.

I will turn Brick Bank and put it at the other end, but this is all my modulars.

Brick Bank was great, but at the same time a disappointment. It is definitely weaker than Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office, but it is still a very strong set.
I like that we have a new corner building, and that this time the entrance is not on the corner, so it will actually work on whichever end you put it on.

The downside is that it looks rather bland no matter which end you put it on. It just seems so nondescript in the end.
The interior details are decent, but not mind-blowing. Although I really liked the way the chandelier looked when done. And the way the teller windows go together is rather slick.

It is a modular, so it is still highly recommended, but it is definitely the weakest modular since Jamie took back over.

wetwired

The Disney minifigs are out already? I dont know when the last series hit the US but I feel like it just came out over here in Australia. There's always such an explosion with people trying to get the rare/popular figure too. Facebook buy/sell pages and local forums I frequent were filled with people selling 20 shark guys for 20$ each just a month ago.

I dont know what its like in the rest of the world but whenever I read any local forums its all about sales and deals and its almost enough to sour me on the whole thing.

Boo!

(still want most of them tho but just give me another month or two. Who am I kidding - I'll probably buy them all online anyway)

You must be on the same facebook groups as me. The prices of some of those cmfs is insane

iosefe

Maze is some good fun. i built the one we used for display and got a few rounds in. it's tough as hell. my coworkers can't finish it either

the maze challenge next week is gonna be REALLY interesting

The LEGO fairy visited again. Time to build the maze!

I will turn Brick Bank and put it at the other end, but this is all my modulars.

Brick Bank was great, but at the same time a disappointment. It is definitely weaker than Parisian Restaurant and Detective Office, but it is still a very strong set.
I like that we have a new corner building, and that this time the entrance is not on the corner, so it will actually work on whichever end you put it on.

The downside is that it looks rather bland no matter which end you put it on. It just seems so nondescript in the end.
The interior details are decent, but not mind-blowing. Although I really liked the way the chandelier looked when done. And the way the teller windows go together is rather slick.

It is a modular, so it is still highly recommended, but it is definitely the weakest modular since Jamie took back over.

Ugh. More Town Hall shaming on those of us that did not buy it when we had the chance. It does look nice as a center with the other modulars. I guess I'll have to build an alternate color version with the parts I have.

Speaking of LEGO store. I walked in with plans to get the Airport battle and some small things to get the $75 Mr. Freeze promotion. My LEGO store had the Jokerland on sale for ~$95 so I jumped on that one instead. Lots of misc LEGO sets were on sale. LEGO is putting more stuff out than they can sell. Supply > demand = sales. Demand I think is high, it's just LEGO is putting so much out lately they need to clear inventory.

EDIT: I know the Ghostbusters HQ is minifig scale, but it just doesn't seem to fit in with the modulars. I think you need to put Ghostbusters HQ next to the Haunted House and Arkham Asylum.

Finished off the Civil War sets and felt like i should do something with the minifigs.

took one shot with a potato !

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/Nitemare1_photos/Lego/civilwar02_zpszdzajait.jpg

Then I dug out my good camera to try and make it all look purdy.

I see you are like me. I still have the stickers on my plastic drawers from years ago. I will rip them all off eventually.

Arkham is broken down for parts. Ghostbusters will be in a few months most likely. I have thought about using it to make a Red Grocer.

That, or doing the unthinkable and breaking down Haunted House to make Green Grocer.

Speaking of LEGO store. I walked in with plans to get the Airport battle and some small things to get the $75 Mr. Freeze promotion. My LEGO store had the Jokerland on sale for ~$95 so I jumped on that one instead.

Local walmart had a damaged box version of that Jokerland set and I asked how much off I could get for it because of it. They said they could probably sell it for like $95 or so before tax.

Worth it?

Finished the Maze. That was really cool. There are no real amazing techniques or anything going on in it except for the pivoting table, but it is so unlike anything else.

Even if the build didn't blow me away, I can't help but highly recommend it just because there is nothing else like it from LEGO. The pivot works quite well, but I am disappointed that it moves to one side more than another, and the frame to drop the mazes themselves into can be a bit tight fitting since it wiggles some.

And holy parts pack! Lots of great stuff in good quantities in here, particularly tiles.

Perhaps tomorrow I will build the different mazes too.

iosefe

friendly reminder to drop into your Local Lego store Next week at 5 PM local, Monday through Friday, to try your hand at completing the maze.

*shill*

Local walmart had a damaged box version of that Jokerland set and I asked how much off I could get for it because of it. They said they could probably sell it for like $95 or so before tax.

Worth it?

Depends if you really like the set. I haven't built it. It looks like a fun set build, but not something I would display. The minifigs are a big attraction for me too.

That's about 20% off. Chances are you could probably find that again for 20% off if you keep an eye out for sales.

If you do get it, I would open it up to verify all bags are in there and sealed before you leave the store. If seals are intact, it's probably good, but someone here posted how people have figured out how to open a box up and put seals back so they look as good as new.

20% off these Frozen sets on LEGO S@H. These sets just came out 4 months ago.

41068 Arendelle Castle Celebration
Price $59.99
Sale Price $47.98

41066 Anna & Kristoff’s Sleigh Adve…
Price $29.99
Sale Price $23.98

They must not be selling well or they overestimated the demand.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member

Worth it?

Amazon has Jokerland now for $93.00

LEGO Super Heroes 76035 Jokerland Building Kit

List Price: $119.99
Price: $93.00 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $26.99 (22%)

Went to the LEGO store today, planning to split two Architecture sets between me and my girlfriend so that we spent enough to get the Classic Mr. Freeze (I'm on a prety tight budget for a vacation in the summer)...

We ended up with THREE Architecture sets (the two we wanted were just under $75), and after we ate nearby I came back because I really wanted the Doctor Who set, haha.
I should have bought a little something more and we could have gotten two Mr. Freeze's, but I didn't care enough to spend $15 more.

T.O.P

Banned
I didn't think we were getting a star killer base, just a new Death Star. UCS snowspeeder is next though.

Might've read it wrong or something, new Death Start would be good as well for me tho

Waiting for some picture of the Snowspeeder before getting all hyped over it :)

Also, bought the Eiffel Tower and the White House Atchitecture sets as a present for my parents, curious to see if they'll like 'em (...i was just really in need of buying Legos last night lol)

boltz

Is the Tumbler still in print?

No, it went OOP a few months ago. People are already selling them for crazy prices on Ebay.

20% off these Frozen sets on LEGO S@H. These sets just came out 4 months ago.

41068 Arendelle Castle Celebration
Price $59.99
Sale Price $47.98

41066 Anna & Kristoff’s Sleigh Adve…
Price $29.99
Sale Price $23.98

They must not be selling well or they overestimated the demand.

Maybe folks were one and done with the ice castle?

wetwired

The Tumbler going out of production so soon after release doesn't give me high hopes for a future UCS batmobile of the Burton or 60s one. It obviously didn't sell all that well

The Tumbler going out of production so soon after release doesn't give me high hopes for a future UCS batmobile of the Burton or 60s one. It obviously didn't sell all that well

Well, there is another UCS Batman set now... Maybe they just did not want two at the same time?

TheFuzz

Those sitting on the fence on Jokerland should jump in at 20% off. I bought it at full price and it's a good build and a great display piece.

melike75

Neo Member
You must be on the same facebook groups as me. The prices of some of those cmfs is insane

Not anymore - the relentless focus on money and the whole scalper situation almost turned me off LEGO in general so I avoid them now. Well, i avoid Facebook in general so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom