• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
31358U3.jpg

This is almost like getting a City Advent Calendar in the summertime with all of the cool little builds.

Ryuuroden

Ewok Village is your friend for those pieces.

Or the PAB wall sometimes. I went crazy when they had them on the wall the other year, and yet it seems it was nowhere near enough.

I bought over 1000 leaves from the PAB wall when they were on there and it wasn't enough for Orthanc, I had to spend another couple hundred it seems on bricklink

I bought over 1000 leaves from the PAB wall when they were on there and it wasn't enough for Orthanc, I had to spend another couple hundred it seems on bricklink

Yeah, those leaf pieces go insanely quick when building trees. When you raid the PAB wall you think you are set for life, and then when you build you realize you have nothing.

Rootbeer

Banned
Or the PAB wall sometimes. I went crazy when they had them on the wall the other year, and yet it seems it was nowhere near enough.

I have yet to see them on the wall :(

I dream about it sometimes.

I own Ewok Village, one of my favorite purchases. Probably cause Forestmen were some of my favorite sets growing up, and something about the treescape look to it tickles that part of me.
I'm guessing we'll see a new AT-AT? when was the last one released? 2014?
I'd be willing to bet yes! Now it makes even more sense why they retired the previous one when they did, even though it would have been an easy choice to keep it in print just a little bit longer to tie in nicely with the Hoth stuff that came out this year (and still coming, UCS just around the corner...)

So, people who are buying the upcoming Hoth Base yet still need some AT-ATs... chin up, odds are looking good they will be available.

I like what LEGO has done with the Treehouse. The tree branches have a nice look to them in that style.

But, I do find myself wondering why LEGO has tried to abandon the classic leaves which I really like. Occasionally they will pop up in sets, but they are hard to come by.

s-l1000.jpg

I don't believe LEGO has abandoned them. The Creator line has always been about creating things with "standard" bricks and plates as much as possible.

Ewok Village has 33. Next highest I found was 15. Most sets have 1-3 leaves.
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=2417&in=S

LEGO usually don't put many of those specialized leaves in any one set. You just may be used to seeing AFOL MOCs that have dozens of those on a single tree.

Ewok Village is your friend for those pieces.

It was insanely hard to get those leaves when they hit the PAB wall. I got a bunch from PAB wall by going week after week, but they were the bright green ones. I would have preferred green, then dark green. Still, I am very happy to have gotten the bright green ones. My hunt continues though for green and dark green in bulk.

I've actually considered that if I can't join a LUG and be lucky that leaves are available, I would get clone leaves if I ever did a MOC that required a ton of leaves.

Here's a great source that I think a lot of AFOLs use. http://www.altbricks.com/

Because they carry colors LEGO doesn't make or are very rare, they make their way to LEGO MOCs of some of the best builders out there.

This should sell it to anyone thinking about them.
17546579080_89c3a72ca3_c.jpg

Check out more shots of that amazing MOC.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109509

Here's an old review of them by Nannan Z of The Brothers Brick blog. I'm not too concerned with the lower quality clutch and lower quality anti-stud size tolerance.
http://www.brothers-brick.com/2013/01/22/altbricks-review/

wetwired

Finally built the batcave today, after building the vehicle 2 weeks ago before holidays. I'm shattered now, so exhausting. Some elements I'm impressed with, the facade of the building, but others I feel like it's lacking. I'm getting a second one at some point so maybe I'll expand it. Or most likely I'll just part it out and forget it about :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Again, UCS AT-AT, or a redesigned UCS Imperial Star Destroyer. I know I said AT-AT or bust before, but the Star Destroyer is maybe my most wanted UCS ship (yes, more than the Falcon. SACRILEGE!).
But it will probably be a new Best Star, and I aint even mad.

would there be much more to a UCS AT-AT than the previous models like the motorised one? I would have guessed an AT-AT to be likely as it is in Rogue One. But based on that we'd have had a UCS falcon alongside Ep VII

wetwired

Finally put the gunmen on your store, too, it appears...

Still a bit on expensive side but too good to pass <3

yeah just tonight, I didn't bother posting here as it's a pretty niche item :)

I already have plans for my next minifig, batman related this time :)

would there be much more to a UCS AT-AT than the previous models like the motorised one? I would have guessed an AT-AT to be likely as it is in Rogue One. But based on that we'd have had a UCS falcon alongside Ep VII

The motorised one sucked.

Minifig scale is the obvious feature of UCS AT-AT.

Maybe it's time to do the AT-ST some justice.........finally.

IIRC the cockpit was terrible, the handle was terrible, the chains on the belly were terrible, the Veers minifig was terrible.

Could be okay as a toy for a one year old though ;).
I've got the motorized Dark Side Development Kit and I've always had a soft spot for that AT-AT.

It's definitely not the most accurate and it doesn't have any minifigs, but I've had the set since it first came out (Christmas gift as a kid, and my only surviving set from childhood) and I like that you can build like 5 or so motorized Star Wars things with it too: AT-AT, Naboo tank, Droideka, some other wheeled robot, and I think at least one other.

Koren

yeah just tonight, I didn't bother posting here as it's a pretty niche item :)
True, but there's talks about non-official minifigs, and as far as I can tell, your work is at least on par with tge best custom works.

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested, so I'll edvertise your work if you don't want too... ;)

I'm happy I saw the mail this morning, I would have been sorry to miss those, as they are really great, especially the two largest ones.

Curious to know what you're working on...

Rootbeer

Banned
Star Wars summer sets:
Are those May 1st? *edit* Looks like they might be June 1st :(

You just may be used to seeing AFOL MOCs that have dozens of those on a single tree.

It's because I grew up with sets like this

6066-1.jpg

6071-1.jpg

It's a popular piece in MOCs but it's because it's a great piece (particularly in the green shades). I wish more sets would use them in greater number. You get that piece in purple and such a lot more recently due to the Friends/Elves line, but that's nowhere near as useful lol (though that MOC with the multi-colored leaves is a great use)

Arc07

Just finished this build today. Seemed about twice as challenging as the McLaren to put together. Some pics.

Only "build pic" I took.
ZP4Jde7.jpg

u9aeSuB.jpg
jGVrqvN.jpg

NRbrgdP.jpg
Fwtzy6v.jpg

EsPHzpi.jpg
5WoBox2.jpg

Next car is the 1967 Honda RA300 and then I'm taking a break for a few months. These cost too much. :(

I need to figure out a new way of printing decals. The only ones that look decent are decals that go onto white surfaces.

Are those May 1st? *edit* Looks like they might be June 1st :(

It's because I grew up with sets like this

It's a popular piece in MOCs but it's because it's a great piece (particularly in the green shades). I wish more sets would use them in greater number. You get that piece in purple and such a lot more recently due to the Friends/Elves line, but that's nowhere near as useful lol (though that MOC with the multi-colored leaves is a great use)

You devil. Now I want to dig my Forestmen sets out and build them now. Though the Crossing is the only one I'm missing...-_-

wetwired

True, but there's talks about non-official minifigs, and as far as I can tell, your work is at least on par with tge best custom works.

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested, so I'll edvertise your work if you don't want too... ;)

I'm happy I saw the mail this morning, I would have been sorry to miss those, as they are really great, especially the two largest ones.

Curious to know what you're working on...

secrets! as soon as I have more I will talk about it. It's only 1 minifig this time, not X-files related with lots of custom printing, gonna attempt printed legs this time

Man the body for that.. what is it called, Luggabeast? That is a very interesting piece that I hope Lego reuses in the future to make some really far out creatures. Since it's just a body and legs I imagine it could be extremely customizable - dragons, dinosaurs, more animal/machine hybrids. Can't wait to see what others MOC out of it.

secrets! as soon as I have more I will talk about it. It's only 1 minifig this time, not X-files related with lots of custom printing, gonna attempt printed legs this time

Classic 60's Batgirl or nothing! That's the biggest one missing from the Batman 60's minifigs. I can live without Commissioner and other supporting cast. Unfortunately there's no Batgirl hairpiece+mask in the needed color. What's the date of the unveiling?

Man the body for that.. what is it called, Luggabeast? That is a very interesting piece that I hope Lego reuses in the future to make some really far out creatures. Since it's just a body and legs I imagine it could be extremely customizable - dragons, dinosaurs, more animal/machine hybrids. Can't wait to see what others MOC out of it.
It might be that only the legs are unique pieces, and that they connect to technic bricks/pins?

That way the body could be built to anything.

wetwired

Classic 60's Batgirl or nothing! That's the biggest one missing from the Batman 60's minifigs. I can live without Commissioner and other supporting cast. Unfortunately there's no Batgirl hairpiece+mask in the needed color. What's the date of the unveiling?

That would be awesome but the lack of a purple cowl with hair is problematic

It might be that only the legs are unique pieces, and that they connect to technic bricks/pins?

That way the body could be built to anything.
Ah you're totally right the body could just be brick. It'd be so cool if Lego did a Creator set or something that's just legs and wings and stuff, like a creatures parts pack. Have they ever done anything like that before?

Some good stuff in those Summer SW sets!

What SW property are the first bunch of sets from though?

From the Lego Freemaker Adventures series. Think Yoda Chronicles and Droid Tales.

Can you point me to the good sets, because I honestly do not see them... The Turbo Tank and AT-TE are weaker / smaller versions of not that old sets...

I was looking through the instructions for Café Corner yesterday and this page made me laugh and is still making me smile even now

123.jpg

Imagine having six Café Corner's lying around :lol

Osahi

Not feeling the new star wars animation sets, but i need that lugabeast. Will probably be overpriced as hell though :(

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Im glad I got in on Cafe Corner day one, but holy hell im wishing I bought another to sell.

It couldve funded the hobby for three years!

Osahi

The bright blue armour looks shitty, tbh.

I would have prefered some more greyish blue too, but I'm okay with it. At least it has more color than the usual Star Wars set. The new X-wing looks very dull in comparison for instance (I'm glad I bought the black and orange one, though I hated the color scheme at first, I really llike it now)

Koren

Just like there isn't for Green Grocer ugh
Doesn't seem so difficult to BL GreenGrocer... I'm working on it, even if I don't have enough time currently.

I switch a couple of things to keep some costs down, though (currently building it in sand blue/dark blue instead of sand green/dark green, and I've bought only a single viking tile instead of 3)

It's just time consuming (maybe what you meant by "non-easy", but at least, it's quite fun).

Largo

Hey LegoGAF, potentially dumb question since I know they're listed as dropping in May, but is it unusual I found those Disney minifigs this early?

I was looking through the instructions for Café Corner yesterday and this page made me laugh and is still making me smile even now

123.jpg

Imagine having six Café Corner's lying around :lol

Ha! Here I am thinking 2x of any modular would be great when LEGO recommends 6x.

Hey LegoGAF, potentially dumb question since I know they're listed as dropping in May, but is it unusual I found those Disney minifigs this early?

Well, we are in April so it's only a few weeks until May. In the States, Toys R Us is notorious for not following street dates. There are a stories of some Targets and Walmarts putting them out early, but they usually follow the street dates.

NysGAF

Are any of the Daniel Lipkowitz books good buys for adding new life to our current LEGO collection? I'm seeing "Ideas," "Awesome Ideas," and "Play Book" to start.

Are any of the Daniel Lipkowitz books good buys for adding new life to our current LEGO collection? I'm seeing "Ideas," "Awesome Ideas," and "Play Book" to start.

LEGO Play Book is very good I think. I thought I had it in the OP, but that may have been the last thread.

It is the right balance of showing ideas, then cross sections of some techniques. It gives you enough hints on how to pull it off while also not explicitly showing you step by step directions.

I haven't looked too closely at the Awesome Ideas book to see how it compares.
The original Ideas book was okay, but Play was definitely the best one in the last couple of year.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the thread!

Doesn't seem so difficult to BL GreenGrocer... I'm working on it, even if I don't have enough time currently.

I switch a couple of things to keep some costs down, though (currently building it in sand blue/dark blue instead of sand green/dark green, and I've bought only a single viking tile instead of 3)

It's just time consuming (maybe what you meant by "non-easy", but at least, it's quite fun).

Well yeah but you said it yourself, it's kind of a pain in the arse, PLUS it will run you from around 300-500 euro IF you try to stay true to the original colors, which i probably would want to if i did it :(

robox

re: old skool F1

Just finished this build today. Seemed about twice as challenging as the McLaren to put together. Some pics.

Next car is the 1967 Honda RA300 and then I'm taking a break for a few months. These cost too much. :(

O_O

where are those from? i want them in my life

mojiimbo

Is it known that LEGO Stores are doing an invite-only pre-May the 4th VIP day the Saturday before like their Pre-Black Friday VIP event where you get a tiny exclusive micro-build vignette of the Millennium Falcon(in a micro, micro build) escaping that worm thing from ESB if you spend more than $150? Stores might have a small, finite amount of invites to give out at...managers(???) discretion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom