• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the LEGO store today, planning to split two Architecture sets between me and my girlfriend so that we spent enough to get the Classic Mr. Freeze (I'm on a prety tight budget for a vacation in the summer)...

We ended up with THREE Architecture sets (the two we wanted were just under $75), and after we ate nearby I came back because I really wanted the Doctor Who set, haha.
I should have bought a little something more and we could have gotten two Mr. Freeze's, but I didn't care enough to spend $15 more.

What would you do with a 2nd Mr. Freeze? Guessing it would sell for $10 in the aftermarket. Possibly even more. Would have been worth spending an extra $15. :) I usually count really nice promos like that one as a discount.

Not anymore - the relentless focus on money and the whole scalper situation almost turned me off LEGO in general so I avoid them now. Well, i avoid Facebook in general so...

I hate hearing how rough it is for some AFOL's around the world. Hope you have better luck in the future getting your hands on reasonably priced LEGO.

I really, really want the Mr Freeze poly but I've gotta wait until the 15th to buy anything and I'm anxious he'll be sold out by then. Ughhhh being responsible with money whyyyyy D:

What would you do with a 2nd Mr. Freeze? Guessing it would sell for $10 in the aftermarket. Possibly even more. Would have been worth spending an extra $15. :) I usually count really nice promos like that one as a discount.

Yeah, I would have just kept it in the bag and probably sold it off eventually, but there just weren't any cheaper sets or anything that I really cared about getting. I want the Doctor Who LEGO Dimensions packs to go with my Tardis set, but those are like 1/2 the price on Amazon.

While at the store I had my first chance to see the Classic TV Batman Batcave set, and I thought it was actually a lot better than the pictures make it look! It's HUGE for one thing, and the brown color doesn't look quite as bright in person IMO, so it looks a little more cave-like.

Ponn

Banned
The Tumbler going out of production so soon after release doesn't give me high hopes for a future UCS batmobile of the Burton or 60s one. It obviously didn't sell all that well

I don't think it's totally out of the question, at least Lego should look at that particular set and realize some mistakes were made.

1) Not a particularly fan favorite version of the Batmobile
2) The weird ass timing of it AFTER all the Nolan movies were done
3) The limited initial quantity and slow restock throwing sales off.

Yeah, I would have just kept it in the bag and probably sold it off eventually, but there just weren't any cheaper sets or anything that I really cared about getting. I want the Doctor Who LEGO Dimensions packs to go with my Tardis set, but those are like 1/2 the price on Amazon.

While at the store I had my first chance to see the Classic TV Batman Batcave set, and I thought it was actually a lot better than the pictures make it look! It's HUGE for one thing, and the brown color doesn't look quite as bright in person IMO, so it looks a little more cave-like.

Yes, I can definitely attest to it looking much better in person and bigger then pics let on. It takes up a very large footprint when completed. The build on it is really fun too and you get alot of great and expensive parts like baseplates and specialty building pillars.

Koren

Yes, I can definitely attest to it looking much better in person and bigger then pics let on.
I agree... I don't like it at all on pics, and while I'm still not convinced after seeing it in "flesh" (this lone small room still feels strange to me), the overall impression was far better.

Ponn

Banned
I agree... I don't like it at all on pics, and while I'm still not convinced after seeing it in "flesh" (this lone small room still feels strange to me), the overall impression was far better.

Yea, I feel like its absolutely getting a bad wrap from the first reveal. I love the set and its gonna be cornerstone of my finished Batman display shelf. I still will add caveats when recommending it though because its not a perfect set but it has many surprises.

Nitemare1

As promised. Trying to redeem myself from fail.

GIANT-MAN!

DSC_0266_zpsfwopkzpb.jpg

Hoping we get at least one set revealed at SDCC.

Hopefully we don't have to wait until September again for an official reveal.

Again, UCS AT-AT, or a redesigned UCS Imperial Star Destroyer. I know I said AT-AT or bust before, but the Star Destroyer is maybe my most wanted UCS ship (yes, more than the Falcon. SACRILEGE!).
But it will probably be a new Best Star, and I aint even mad.

willp2003

I'd be happy with either a UCS ISD or falcon. The Death Star will probably be the May release. Really hoping they do something special for the 40th anniversary though.

mojiimbo

The Tumbler going out of production so soon after release doesn't give me high hopes for a future UCS batmobile of the Burton or 60s one. It obviously didn't sell all that well
Really? I assumed it was some weird thing with timing/licensing/preset license length(but I have no direct insight)...

I don't know why the BTTF DeLorean didn't last longer either...

Yagharek

Can anyone recommend some essential Lego Space Police 1/2 and/or Blacktron 1/2 essential sets?

I used to pore over that stuff as a kid in the catalogues that we had but only managed to get my first ever one last year c/- ebay. It was the Mission Commander i.e. my dream set
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6986_Mission_Commander

Does any of the other sets have similarly cool builds? I love prison pods and wonder if the blacktron sets have a similar thing?

wetwired

Really? I assumed it was some weird thing with timing/licensing/preset license length(but I have no direct insight)...

LEGO has been struggling to keep up with demand lately, a set isn't selling they'll take it out of production, that's why some ideas sets and otherwise are around for ages while some are mere months. How long was the death star in production? years

wetwired

I don't think it's totally out of the question, at least Lego should look at that particular set and realize some mistakes were made.

1) Not a particularly fan favorite version of the Batmobile
2) The weird ass timing of it AFTER all the Nolan movies were done
3) The limited initial quantity and slow restock throwing sales off.

Yes, I can definitely attest to it looking much better in person and bigger then pics let on. It takes up a very large footprint when completed. The build on it is really fun too and you get alot of great and expensive parts like baseplates and specialty building pillars.

I am a fan of the tumbler but I will fully acknowledge it's not the most well loved compared to the burton or 60s vehicle.

The whole batpod competition thing was weird too, almost like they intended to bring it to market but because the tumbler didn't sell well they just gave it away as a prize instead

ninge

Not sure if someone else has already mentioned it, but Sainsburys in the UK have 3 for 2 (or £12.99 each) on Lego Dimensions Fun Packs. Works out about 8 quid each, which isnt too bad really :)

melike75

Neo Member
If I had unlimited funds I would have bought the Tumbler.

But...

I don't so it had to be skpped. If it was any other batmobile I probably would have taken the plunge. Its not that its bad just that its different from MY batmobile...

If I had unlimited funds I would have bought the Tumbler.

But...

I don't so it had to be skpped. If it was any other batmobile I probably would have taken the plunge. Its not that its bad just that its different from MY batmobile...

I bought a Tumbler purely for investment purposes.

The BTTF DeLorean was NOT the greatest design, tbh and deviated from the CUUSOO design significantly. Which is a shame.

In retrospect, they should have released the original vehicle and perhaps considered releasing subsequent models instead of doing a defacto 3 in 1. There was a good chance they could have released other BTTF related sets as well.

I shamelessly bought 5 Ecto-1's in anticipation of a short life-span (you win some, you lose some).
Proceeds went to a good cause.

I'm loving the Rogue One trailer. The trooper driving the "tank" thing at 1:04 has a funky looking helmet - hopefully we'll get a fig version of that.

But the real Star Wars tragedy is that we haven't gotten a Captain Ithano fig yet. I need it, and I need the helmet to be epic.

Can anyone recommend some essential Lego Space Police 1/2 and/or Blacktron 1/2 essential sets?

I used to pore over that stuff as a kid in the catalogues that we had but only managed to get my first ever one last year c/- ebay. It was the Mission Commander i.e. my dream set
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/6986_Mission_Commander

Does any of the other sets have similarly cool builds? I love prison pods and wonder if the blacktron sets have a similar thing?

Blacktron doesn't really do the prison pods thing, that is mainly a Space Police thing. Honestly you can get the entire line of the Blacktron 1 and Space Police 1 sets, though the Space Police 1 base is kinda meh. The Blacktron 1 base is a must have, the Blacktron 2 one is good but not as awesome as the Blacktron 1 one.

I'm loving the Rogue One trailer. The trooper driving the "tank" thing at 1:04 has a funky looking helmet - hopefully we'll get a fig version of that.

But the real Star Wars tragedy is that we haven't gotten a Captain Ithano fig yet. I need it, and I need the helmet to be epic.

The UCS AT-AT could be a thing after all.

Both Slave One and Tie Fighter will be retired within the next 12 months. The rumored Snowspeeder is essentially replacing Red Five (unless we get UCS AT-AT first which makes more sense in the context of this movie).

Same, I might have to just buy him off the market

I've never paid more than $10 for a minifigure but honestly, with the backlog of sets that I have and trying to get my finances in order, $15-20 for Mr Freeze VS $75 plus tax is pretty reasonable. I'm surprised and relieved that he isn't more.

Silver Centurion, now, that's another matter ):

Rootbeer

Banned
I like what LEGO has done with the Treehouse. The tree branches have a nice look to them in that style.

But, I do find myself wondering why LEGO has tried to abandon the classic leaves which I really like. Occasionally they will pop up in sets, but they are hard to come by.

s-l1000.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That camper set seems fun and weirdly old-school, like a set straight from the 90's, but somehow designed in 2016 if that makes any sense. Really like how it looks like.

I like what LEGO has done with the Treehouse. The tree branches have a nice look to them in that style.

But, I do find myself wondering why LEGO has tried to abandon the classic leaves which I really like. Occasionally they will pop up in sets, but they are hard to come by.

s-l1000.jpg

Ewok Village is your friend for those pieces.

Or the PAB wall sometimes. I went crazy when they had them on the wall the other year, and yet it seems it was nowhere near enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom