• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried removing print from pieces with 90% rubbing alcohol? I soaked my PAB pieces for a couple hours last night and when I dried them off, the print from the Mixel eyes rubbed off a little. I'm wondering if a longer soak would get the rest off without damaging the plastic. I threw those eyes in as filler but have no plans for them as eyes. I'd rather have plain 1x1 round tiles.

So I received my consolation prizes yesterday for the Stay Puft not passing review on Ideas...

Congrats. I'd bet TLC views you as a VIP, and maybe they're still making up for their Ghostbusters HQ gaffe. I'd be surprised if everyone whose Ideas submission failed review would get the same consolation.

Ryuuroden

So I received my consolation prizes yesterday for the Stay Puft not passing review on Ideas...

13012860_10154219814022994_5098318954161517320_n.jpg

I built the spaceship last night, pretty ordinary to be honest but I wanted the white iron man minifig and since I wasn't paying for it...

I already have a batcave as well but I really liked the minifigs and vehicles and the parts seemed like they'd be useful for the rest of it.

Looking forward to getting stuck into the brick bank on the weekend, I have been home all day with nothing to do but I'm looking after my daughter who is sick as well as myself.

Picked up my DC minifigs book for my pirate batman minifig, AUD$22 from Target. My son claimed the book but I had to "swap" him the space capt america that comes in that set above to get the pirate batman (that I bought for myself)

Well shit....I basically have not posted my lego modular police station or Orthanc because I did not want to clutter ideas with stuff that even if it got the 10,000 votes, would never pass. I've been asked by what must be 100's of people now at this point to put it up there but ive always declined under this argument. Maybe I should reconsider that line of thought.

Just_one

Well never seen annything like this in the threat but i will go ahead....

Got 3 Queens Minifigures and a Shark Boy from Series 15

Looking for a Medusa from Series 10 , Island Warrior from Series 11.

These are the ONLY Minifigures i have left...(besides Mr. Gold ) , can anyone PLEASE on GAF trade with me??

Well never seen annything like this in the threat but i will go ahead....

Got 3 Queens Minifigures and a Shark Boy from Series 15

Looking for a Medusa from Series 10 , Island Warrior from Series 11.

These are the ONLY Minifigures i have left...(besides Mr. Gold ) , can anyone PLEASE on GAF trade with me??
Your post will be buried in this thread. Might have more visibility here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699892

wetwired

Nice "consolation" prize!

The good news for you is that I think the space Cap fig is identical to the underwater Cap from the Red Skull sub so you and your son can both have one!

I wasn't interested in it anyway, I already have the film cap. I was probably gonna sell it off if I hadn't swapped with him.

Well shit....I basically have not posted my lego modular police station or Orthanc because I did not want to clutter ideas with stuff that even if it got the 10,000 votes, would never pass. I've been asked by what must be 100's of people now at this point to put it up there but ive always declined under this argument. Maybe I should reconsider that line of thought.

Can't hurt!, I was pretty sure stay puft wouldn't pass as it was too big, I probably would have spent more time and money on stay puft than the sets above were worth but still, I was doing it anyway so why not throw it up on ideas

Ponn

Banned
So with Disney CMF showing up in stores now can we assume they will be on Lego S@H may 1st? I need to plan accordingly because CMF's are really hard to find in stores around here and the lines have been disappearing within weeks on S@H and not being restocked. I'm afraid this line is going to be the hardest to find yet and will disappear quickly.

So with Disney CMF showing up in stores now can we assume they will be on Lego S@H may 1st? I need to plan accordingly because CMF's are really hard to find in stores around here and the lines have been disappearing within weeks on S@H and not being restocked. I'm afraid this line is going to be the hardest to find yet and will disappear quickly.

They should be showing up at BN stores for May1st, even the ones that don't normally get a lot of LEGO stuff.

Ponn

Banned
They should be showing up at BN stores for May1st, even the ones that don't normally get a lot of LEGO stuff.

Ok good, I will plan for may 1st then. I'm horrible at feeling bags so i'm just going to do a large blind bag order and hope i'm lucky with doubles.

GO TEAM CAP!

Yes. LEGO store manager stated they have a May 1st street date so S@H will also be May 1st. The current CMF had a shortage during initial release and was actually out of stock on S@H within a few weeks. It was delayed here in U.S. by 1 month if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't worry. I'm guessing the Disney CMF will be the most produced of a CMF line to date. I plan on buying a box if I can.

Yes. LEGO store manager stated they have a May 1st street date so S@H will also be May 1st. The current CMF had a shortage during initial release and was actually out of stock on S@H within a few weeks. It was delayed here in U.S. by 1 month if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't worry. I'm guessing the Disney CMF will be the most produced of a CMF line to date. I plan on buying a box if I can.

Yeah, they are going to go bonkers with the Disney one I think. There will be a ton of demand for it.

Ponn

Banned

I'm not really trusting of Lego's production from experiences over the last couple years. Demand has risen for their product and their production has been spotty at best. Their CMF line has the quickest turnover with either over-production or under production. Just not going to take any chances with these.

Are the BN clearance items marked or put on a separate shelf? There was tons of LEGO at the store but nothing was marked down and I didn't want to wait around for help.

If the store is doing their job right, it should be in their clearance section. Usually it is a few tables somewhere in the store, and the product is marked with a red circle on the box.
If you see nothing, they may have already been cleaned out. Or, you could ask a person there if there were any LEGO sets put on clearance.

I'm not really trusting of Lego's production from experiences over the last couple years. Demand has risen for their product and their production has been spotty at best. Their CMF line has the quickest turnover with either over-production or under production. Just not going to take any chances with these.

Agreed. Don't take the risk. It's not like one finds those CMFs on sale a lot. And if they are, they fly off the shelves at most places. Just saying you should be OK for the first month easily. I can't remember where everyone is from, but aren't you in Europe?

I have seen series 15 stuff like twice in the last month or two. That was non existent around here. Meanwhile, people can't get rid of series 14 or Simpsons series 2. There are still boxes and boxes of those sitting on shelves at stores around here.

I have seen series 15 stuff like twice in the last month or two. That was non existent around here. Meanwhile, people can't get rid of series 14 or Simpsons series 2. There are still boxes and boxes of those sitting on shelves at stores around here.

Yeah, same here... I wonder why Simpsons S2 wasn't as popular? Maybe the novelty factor was gone after S1?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Asking for MOCing reasons, but also after the recent German CMFs- how does everyone feel about Lego skin tones?

I grew up with the classic yellow smileys so im used to that but at the same time, I love all the flesh head pieces and tones we've gotten through the licensed sets. I don't think i've got any problems mixing them when it comes to MOCs but TLG has yet to combine them in any way- through official set or promotional materials, which is a bit curious.

What does everyone else think about mixing them, for MOCs or even officially? It always seems to be one or the other.

teeny

Asking for MOCing reasons, but also after the recent German CMFs- how does everyone feel about Lego skin tones?

I grew up with the classic yellow smileys so im used to that but at the same time, I love all the flesh head pieces and tones we've gotten through the licensed sets. I don't think i've got any problems mixing them when it comes to MOCs but TLG has yet to combine them in any way- through official set or promotional materials, which is a bit curious.

What does everyone else think about mixing them, for MOCs or even officially? It always seems to be one or the other.

Lego Dimensions merges the two types of minifigures pretty successfully in my opinion and I believe both types are in the Lego Movie as well, although flesh tones seem to be reserved for licensed characters (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, I'll probably take a similar approach when designing my street and incorporating some of the licensed sets.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I hadnt played Lego Dimensions but thats a pretty obvious one I completely forgot about.

Im plotting a big modular beach diorama atm so I think its going to be a huge mixture of minifig tones once I get round to populating it.

teeny

LEGO gave us a present today. A taste of things to come

25819745314_30f3298d49_b.jpg

Loving the minifigs, can't wait for the sets! I was a bit down on the latest Star Wars stuff but then I haven't got the Force Awakens sets I want yet beyond Rey's speeder.

I hadnt played Lego Dimensions but thats a pretty obvious one I completely forgot about.

Im plotting a big modular beach diorama atm so I think its going to be a huge mixture of minifig tones once I get round to populating it.

For that kind of use, I definitely think mixed tones would work well!

ghostmind

21128 Minecraft - The Village announced:

xWNXdAt.jpg

gGJ85go.jpg

21128 The Village, 1,600 pieces.
US $199.99 - CA $249.99 - DE 199.99€ - UK £169.99 - DK 1899.00 DKK
Released June 1st, May 18th for VIPs.

Build and protect The Village!

Join forces with Alex at the busy Minecraft village, including a variety of biomes plus a watchtower, library, blacksmith, butcher and marketplace. Enjoy hands-on Minecraft adventures featuring your favorite characters and objects with this LEGO Minecraft set—designed for young fans of the highly successful sandbox video game.

Includes 4 minifigures: Steve, Alex, zombie and a zombie villager, plus a Creeper, enderman, pig, baby pig, iron golem and 2 villagers (a farmer and a librarian).

• The Village features rainforest, snow and desert biomes, and includes a watchtower, library, blacksmith, butcher and a marketplace.
• Fold out the library and butcher's buildings and lift the marketplace roof to access the interiors.
• Grab your iron sword and prepare for battle!
• Build the iron golem to help protect the village.
• Accessory elements include a crafting table, water bucket, emerald-ore-style elements, 2 pumpkin heads and a chest with emerald-style elements.
• Weapons include a sword and a pickaxe.
• Set your imagination free—rebuild the set for more LEGO Minecraft creations!
• Measures over 5” (15cm) high, 19” (49cm) wide and 17” (44cm) deep.

Not really a fan of how Lego has been pushing the pricing of larger sets. Seems like they're trying to slowly move away from 10 cents per piece on their large licensed sets.

Osahi

That sums it up for me as well.

I guess it would be a great gift for a young Minecraft fan (as suggested in the press release), but kids aren't going to go out and spend $200 on their own for it.

And speaking of which, what justifies the $200 price tag for a 1,600 piece set?

Americans finaly getting the treatent we puny (non-German) Europeans have to suffer for quite a while now (especially regarding licenced sets)! 10 cents a piece on licensed sets is a reality long gone... Big chance the price of that set will be north of 200 here in Benelux.

Not interested in Minecraft sets anyway. I get that the license is an ideal fit for Lego, but it looks so... bland.

Yeah, same here... I wonder why Simpsons S2 wasn't as popular? Maybe the novelty factor was gone after S1?

I think part of it is the draw for the main Simpsons family was lower for casual buyers in S2. If I had to pick only 1 version of the Simpsons family, I would take the standard well-known versions (S1) and skip the alternatives (S2).

LEGO gave us a present today. A taste of things to come

25819745314_30f3298d49_b.jpg

Those are really nice looking minigs. I think the outfits are generic enough to be reused.

Amazing figures! I love the main character especially. Hope she isn't exclusive to a expensive set. (The way Rey is featured in like 50% of the TFA sets (I exagerate), I think I have a good chance of getting her pretty cheap)

If she ends up in a relatively inexpensive set, I imagine they will have an alternative print that is more desirable in a more expensive set.

21128 Minecraft - The Village announced:

xWNXdAt.jpg

Looks good. Gonna be hard for kids to get the set to get the villagers. Would have been nice if they could have broken it down to 2-3 smaller sets to make it more accessible to kids. Spread the 3 unique villager minifigs among the sets.

Definitely will be needed for any Minecraft fan IMO.

That sums it up for me as well.

I guess it would be a great gift for a young Minecraft fan (as suggested in the press release), but kids aren't going to go out and spend $200 on their own for it.

And speaking of which, what justifies the $200 price tag for a 1,600 piece set?

Part of it I imagine is the 2 unique Villager moulds that are only usuable for Minecraft sets and the fact that there will not be many of those sets produced. Is this the end? Pun intended. Or will there be any future Minecraft sets after this?

I would love to have some insight on some of the costs that drives a set price up. How much more does a printed piece add? Does printing on legs cost a lot more than printing on a tile? What pieces are expensive to make? How much profit margins vary between sets in a theme? etc.

Ryuuroden

Americans finaly getting the treatent we puny (non-German) Europeans have to suffer for quite a while now (especially regarding licenced sets)! 10 cents a piece on licensed sets is a reality long gone... Big chance the price of that set will be north of 200 here in Benelux.

Not interested in Minecraft sets anyway. I get that the license is an ideal fit for Lego, but it looks so... bland.

America is helping cover the poor Canadian dollar so that sets don't get too rediculous in cost in Canada.

Kidding.....hopefully

mrkgoo

I picked up the little new creator plane today (31047) knowing I shouldn't be spending money, but well, what're you gonna do?

I like the final model a lot, but as far as pieces go, not a lot of SNOT opportunity and no hinges. Still, could be a fun set as a MOC competition. Limitation breeds imagination.

Whatever happened to those competitions? I tried to enter as many as I could, but sets were chosen many times that weren't available here. I somewhat miss them.

Rootbeer

Banned
Look what I found

Disney CMF box just sitting in the shelf! I was about to buy the iron skull set then turned my head and saw it. Bought a full set and some extras

Bay Area LEGOGAF, if you want what is left of the box go scope out the Emeryville, CA Target near Pixar Studios. Godspeed and good luck!

eagW2x7.jpg

Koren

They are testing Star Wars pricing on the set.

Actually, quite a few of the bigger Minecraft sets have ridiculous prices.

Not really a fan of how Lego has been pushing the pricing of larger sets. Seems like they're trying to slowly move away from 10 cents per piece on their large licensed sets.

I'll play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think the "price per part" is a good metric. I'd suspect there's less tiny parts in this box than in many others. Am I wrong?

Not that larger part cost more because there's more plastic, but it takes longer to produce larger parts because you can produce less of those at the same time in a mold.

I don't doubt that Lego will want to increase the prices, but I'm not sure in this case that price per part is a great indicator of inflation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom