• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbro72

Is this your pic and if so, did you buy the whole box? (Oops, never mind, just saw your edit!) I'm still torn on how to proceed with this series. I suck at and have no interest in trying to feel up bags in the store and being that there are no "army builder" type characters here, ordering 18-20+ from S&H sounds like a good way to have an incomplete set and a bunch of dups I don't really want, so I'm leaning towards just ordering a complete set on ebay or something, even if there is a little bit of a premium involved in that (or if anyone here is buying a whole box and looking to sell a set from it, let me know).

And the Minecraft Village set is kind of neat, I suppose, but a very easy pass for me as someone who has never played the game nor purchased any of the sets. Maybe I've forgotten but has it been announced when that one is due to be released? Is this the big June set?

I'll play the devil's advocate here, but I don't think the "price per part" is a good metric. I'd suspect there's less tiny parts in this box than in many others. Am I wrong?

The amount of people that buy minifigures at like 50c per part is pretty staggering, haha.

But yeah, while it's as good an indicator of "value" as we've got at a glance, it's always worth considering a little further. Like, the Arocs is 8.2c per part but like 500 of those are black pegs. A lot of this Minecraft set seems to be small and mid-sized baseplates which would have much more use outside of this set and are obviously more expensive.

Not that that means the Arocs is poor value (it isn't) or that Minecraft is good value (it isn't) but I do agree, there's more to life than ppp. This Minecraft set just looks... boring, I guess. It's the kind of thing you should be building on your own from a 1,500 piece Creator box or something.

Rootbeer

Banned
Is this your pic and if so, did you buy the whole box?
The pic is the box as I found it, but the person who found it first only bought like 5. I gave serious, serious consideration to buying the rest of the (nearly full) box. But no, I bought a random handful of about 24 figs. Just went through them, got a full set and some extras.

Feeling minifig bags is way more uncomfortable at target than at TRU or the Lego store, lol. So I just chanced it with just buying one full column. It paid off.

Boy am i glad those Minecraft sets do absolutely zip for me.

My wallet really really couldn't handle another theme...

In fact, it already can't handle the others but that's another matter...

Speaking of that, i finally cracked and bought Green Grocer used on Ebay the other day for... yeah, i don't wanna talk about it.

No more impulse buys for me for a loooooong time :(

I've bought a few Minecraft on awd for parts. They're a good source of 2x2 with center stud. The smaller sets have a much better price per brick.

Between Minecraft and Hoth, Lego has had some really crappy and disproportionately-priced D2C sets this year.

It's filtering through to their other sets too. The next wave of Star Wars sets looks like shit-on-cheesy-biscuits.

It's making me go back to reconsider Ewok Village and Sandcrawler before they go OOP.

Speaking of that, i finally cracked and bought Green Grocer used on Ebay the other day for... yeah, i don't wanna talk about it.

3806775-8268480290-c2631.jpg

Apologies to ghostmind

Koren

The amount of people that buy minifigures at like 50c per part is pretty staggering, haha.
Tell me about it...

The problem is that it can be an impulse buy...

Two weeks ago, I buy 3 bags of the last series. Got two knights and a squaw. A double out of 3 bags, no luck. I visit the brand new Lego Store in Paris two days ago out of curiosity, can't prevent myself from ~60 4x1 snot although the selection from PaB wall is underwhelming and not really useful, and just before paying, I grab three more.

Guess what? Two squaws and a knight. Argh... 2 out of 6 bags.

Not that that means the Arocs is poor value (it isn't) or that Minecraft is good value (it isn't) but I do agree, there's more to life than ppp.
Indeed... although I'm not sure how to tell whether it's a good value or not. I really depends on what you're expecting from a set (parts, building, playing, display...)

This Minecraft set just looks... boring, I guess.
Looks like a Minecraft set, all right. I don't see the appeal myself, but to each his own.

I also think it looks like something from the 60s, when everything was blocky because you had 12 different parts to work with.

Hey Phon, got the Green Lantern set today. Thanks buddy.

My Justice League collection is really coming together now. Not to mention the Injustice League I'm developing.

Rootbeer

Banned

My Justice League collection is really coming together now. Not to mention the Injustice League I'm developing.

It is a wonderful set, but that shouldn't be surprising since superhero $20 sets tend to be excellent values as we have talked about time and time again here!

Yeah, I love DC minifigures... I'm really proud of the roster of DC, Marvel and SW characters I've been able to build these past few years. So much fun.

I believe there is one more after this, the giant castle that comes with a Horse:

You are correct. The Fortress still hasn't been released. It didn't register because info about that was already released.

What about your Green Lantern Corp? You need many multiples of that set for all the uniforms. Bonus is you can create a Sinestro Corp also.

It is a wonderful set, but that shouldn't be surprising since superhero $20 sets tend to be excellent values as we have talked about time and time again here!

Yeah, I love DC minifigures... I'm really proud of the roster of DC, Marvel and SW characters I've been able to build these past few years. So much fun.

I would gladly pay $6-8 per minifig if they did DC and Marvel CMFs that cater to comic fans that would like classic costumes and more obscure characters.

Rootbeer

Banned
Adam Savage in a new LEGO video! You MUST watch this:

Here's a first for Adam: a One Day Build of a custom LEGO set! After spotting Jason Allemann's beautiful automata design, Adam sourced a complete kit to built at the cave. The finished piece comes alive as an animated diorama of the Greek legend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U46Yo_6z_F4

I would gladly pay $6-8 per minifig if they did DC and Marvel CMFs that cater to comic fans that would like classic costumes and more obscure characters.
Don't give them any ideas with those kind of prices! Yeah I'd like it but damn... $$$

Buying Merlin annual passes for the family and you get 10% discount on Lego at a store near me with it - wonder how much I need to spend to recoup my outlay :p

TheFuzz

Dropped by BN... Nothing really marked for clearanced but found a Green Lantern v Sinestro set that scanned for 9.97. Yeah, that'll work!

Rootbeer

Banned
Dropped by BN... Nothing really marked for clearanced but found a Green Lantern v Sinestro set that scanned for 9.97. Yeah, that'll work!

Do B&N stores have price scanners customers can use or do you have to get customer service?

I read the stickers are unreliable sometimes sets are discounted and not stickered.

mrkgoo

Man, the black panther set looks fantastic (76047). Cool looking jet, serviceable jeep, bike and three relevant miniatures (usually sets come with some I don't care about).

Should I crack and get it? any impressions of this set?

Do B&N stores have price scanners customers can use or do you have to get customer service?

I read the stickers are unreliable sometimes sets are discounted and not stickered.

They don't but they are usually pretty nice about checking price for you. The big B&N by my work never put any LEGO on clearance as the store is in a good part of town. The one on my way to work do sometimes put them out but up until few years ago it was easy to still get them but now a day if they put anything good up like board game or LEGO they usually get swoop up so fast.

iosefe

seems we wont be seeing Wall-E on sale directly from LEGO for a while, so said my supervisor, same reason ewok village was gone for a year, a sale associate gave a discount on it, and since it's an exclusive you aren't supposed to, only give VIP credit, so they put a hold on sales

i'm happy i got one early enough

TheFuzz

Customer Service, but mine had their Lego stock by CS so it was pretty painless.

R-User!

Man, the black panther set looks fantastic (76047). Cool looking jet, serviceable jeep, bike and three relevant miniatures (usually sets come with some I don't care about).

Should I crack and get it? any impressions of this set?

Fantastic plane build! Panther looks awesome in and out of it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Doh... well, there is a customer service desk near the LEGO at my store, but it's usually the unstaffed desk... lol. Anyway, I was there today and finally saw my first ever stickered set! It was one of the swamp police sets. That's all I spotted.

There must be a LEGO fan, or parent of a LEGO fan who works at my store cause it always gets cleared out of LEGO clearance no matter how on top of it I try to be. It's fruitless.

seems we wont be seeing Wall-E on sale directly from LEGO for a while, so said my supervisor, same reason ewok village was gone for a year, a sale associate gave a discount on it, and since it's an exclusive you aren't supposed to, only give VIP credit, so they put a hold on sales

i'm happy i got one early enough

Ughhhhh this is also why the Simpsons House was missing from stores for so long.

Why do they keep doing this? Haven't they figured it out by now that you don't give discounts on exclusives?

Guess I know how I'm getting my Mr Freeze. Wall-E online plus who knows what else to push me over. Was gonna just buy Mr F on eBay for $15-20 but I actually really want Wall-E and we were sold out on my last day so I didn't get to pick him up ):

iosefe

Guess I know how I'm getting my Mr Freeze. Wall-E online plus who knows what else to push me over. Was gonna just buy Mr F on eBay for $15-20 but I actually really want Wall-E and we were sold out on my last day so I didn't get to pick him up ):

says temp out of stock on the store. so now luck getting wall-e outside of second hand retailers

Ponn

Banned
Gotham City Breakout blu-ray with minifigure now up for pre-order on amazon.

I want that blue logo Nightwing so get for me. Wish he had the crazy Goku hair from the original one though.

I keep getting these books and movies with figs, taking the figs and giving the books and movies to my cousins kids. I wonder if they are getting pissed me at yet for looting the figs.

Ponn

Banned
This is still on there. It's actually a decent price; probably cheaper than what I paid at the LEGO Store after taxes.

I wonder if that means the bags are cut open. How else can they guarantee it's the whole set.

That's weird. I haven't seen that on the AWD for weeks now but suddenly spotted it back up today too. I wonder how they pull stuff like this from returns or damaged boxes. With some of the weird stuff popping up there sometimes I have to believe they have some workers there trying to unload some stuff or something.

Ponn, thank you for the Shark Guy figure. That was awesome. Now I need to hunt down my Hulk figure and start some shenanigans.

No problem, enjoy it man. My shark guy is taking the place of King Shark in my DC display area.

Don't the ideas sets get discontinued relatively quickly? I wouldn't be surprised if Wall-E gets discontinued by this fall.

Examples of ideas sets that flew off the shelves due to high demand and low production numbers: Mars Rover and Research Institute.
Examples of ideas sets that did not sell out quickly: Big Bang Theory and Birds
Back to the Future Lasted a while, but I think that's because they did a large production number on that one.

I think LEGO would do a 2nd production run if it is selling really well. Don't bet on it though. I haven't gotten mine yet and they haven't gotten any in the LEGO store in awhile.

LEGO S@H U.S. shows: We're sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in August for product availability.

Sigh, and as usual, it's up on amazon.co.uk as well for preorder but WITHOUT the fig! Damnit :(

Do they ever have them with figures at Amazon.co.uk? It's not like video game pre-orders where you can't get minifigs after the release. There's actual times after the release the Bluray or DVD is cheaper with minifigure.

Do they ever have them with figures at Amazon.co.uk? It's not like video game pre-orders where you can't get minifigs after the release. There's actual times after the release the Bluray or DVD is cheaper with minifigure.

That is a valid question. All i know is that i'd like to get my hands on that Nightwing ASAP and i can't :(

teeny

That reminds me, I need to get a Vitruvius...

Maybe Amazon .de or .fr will have them? Looks the France one has a DVD and the description suggests it has nightwing, but no picture.

Thanks, i just checked and... the title of the product does NOT indicate Limited edition, BUT in the description it DOES say that so hmmm anyone's guess?

Price point is 14.99, is that a reasonable amount for the fig version or are they always same price as the dvd only ones?

edit: title says + goodie so i guess it's kinda safe to assume this is the one with the fig included... I may take the plunge here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom