• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a nice little $30 set with great figs. The build was fun and is nice and sturdy too. The little Hulk Cage is unnecessary and sticker laden though. Well worth the price.

Even though I prefer Marvel sets, I think that Brainiac Attack Set #76040 is the better 30$ set if I had to choose.
Thanks will get the hulkbuster today!

Many (most) interesting sets that go OoP see their prices raising, indeed, especially when they're new.

There's no absolute rule, but at least the UCS sets (the most expensive ones) usually don't go down on price.

The most shining example is the UCS Falcon. Used to be ~$450 new, now it's typically $3000 even used...

Not all sets raise this way, but I'm pretty sure that all UCS sets, at least, should worth more now used than new when they were sold.

Used Lambda Shuttle is over $500, SSD is $800+, same for Blockade runner, Y-Wing, Snowspeeder, ISD and Death Star are $1000+...

You still have to find a buyer, but yes, prices usually increase. There's in fact forums of investors specialized in Lego investments ^_^

One (75054) has been released in 2014 and discontinued a couple of months back, so probably not soon, but you never know. Maybe with Rogue One.

It's actually a good example of price:
- it was sold for a bit more than $100
- now it's discontinued, you'll find it for more than $200 new from 3rd-party sellers on Amazon or other stores (probably Ebay, too)
- price on Bricklink (the Ebay for Lego) is ~$150 for new ones... there's not many used ones, but it's probably already more expensive used now than new when it was available.

Thanks for the info.

yeah I noticed the Falcon on Ebay, crazy prices. There is a shop in sweden that is selling one New in box for 12000 usd... crazy.

Sillyeskimo

Thanks, I cant wait to start building again.

Koren

How is the Lego hulkbuster figure? I'm thinking of getting the set today.
I fully agree with SillyEskimo. I really like the Hulkbuster, the cage is meh, but still worth it.

You seem to want to "go big" and start with the USC sets.
I came back because of SW UCS and Modulars myself, I'm glad I passed on "normal" sets (mostly... I still bought a couple sets just because I liked them, such as Hulkbuster, Exploration sub). I can't display all of them, they're less interesting builds than larger sets, and while I'll want to build MOCs, I'm not sure it's a great way to get parts vs bricklink.

I can't stick to SW UCS and Modulars, though, I've bought several Ideas sets, Winter village sets, a couple of architecture sets, Airjitsu Temple half because of the hype here, Avenjet 2 same, Milano *completely* because of the hype here, and I'll probably buy the Helicarrier and the GBHQ :/ It's becoming an expensive hobby...

And you guys almost sold me on Arocs, but I really, really don't want to go back to technics too ^_^

We're all doomed here...

Lego have come a long way in a relatively short amount of time. Techniques, unique pieces, and overall design have likely changed drastically since you last remembered (all for the better!).
That's a matter of taste. Sure, the Star Wars sets have gotten more "movie accurate", but I still miss the early days of no stickers. (They had some awful sets with too many unique pieces for a while, but I think that's tapered off recently.)

Got my Merlin (company that owns various theme parks and attractions in the UK) annual pass today.

The Lego store near me is classed as part of legoland as its at the legoland discovery centre so I can get 10% off but no VIP points and not on sale stuff.

Won't be too much use but the stuff that is exclusive to Lego stores here I will use it on, I thought it was capped at purchases up to £100 but noticed today the fire house was marked with the discounted price.

Dunbar

I have a few Lego sets I'm ready to sell, but I'm not really sure where to start. I keep everything in good condition and the sets have all the pieces, but is there specific condition information people would look for when buying? Is it best to just list stuff on eBay, or is there somewhere better? Also, where do you even get boxes big enough to ship some of the bigger sets (like, I'm looking to sell an AT-AT walker, the Battle of Helms Deep LOTR set, etc and they're really big)?

Anyone have much experience with this and could point me in the right direction?

I have a few Lego sets I'm ready to sell, but I'm not really sure where to start. I keep everything in good condition and the sets have all the pieces, but is there specific condition information people would look for when buying? Is it best to just list stuff on eBay, or is there somewhere better? Also, where do you even get boxes big enough to ship some of the bigger sets (like, I'm looking to sell an AT-AT walker, the Battle of Helms Deep LOTR set, etc and they're really big)?

Anyone have much experience with this and could point me in the right direction?

There is BrickLink, which is basically an online community of Lego sellers and buyers.

Honestly though, i'd just go with Ebay if i were you... You already mentioned the most important things yourself, complete sets + good condition will fetch high prices if the sets are desirable themselves. Star Wars always sells, so that AT-AT is as good as sold and Helm's Deep isn't too shabby either if i remember correctly as far as pricing goes...

There is BrickLink, which is basically an online community of Lego sellers and buyers.

Honestly though, i'd just go with Ebay if i were you... You already mentioned the most important things yourself, complete sets + good condition will fetch high prices if the sets are desirable themselves. Star Wars always sells, so that AT-AT is as good as sold and Helm's Deep isn't too shabby either if i remember correctly as far as pricing goes...

There's a scam against LEGO sellers going around on eBay, that would make me avoid it like the bubonic plague if I was selling a high-value set.

There's a scam against LEGO sellers going around on eBay, that would make me avoid it like the bubonic plague if I was selling a high-value set.

What do you mean by that exactly? First i've heard of it...

I mean, is this some new generalized problem or just the usual couple black sheep that have always been present? So far i have had nothing but good experiences with Ebay as far as Lego is concerned as a Buyer AND a seller!

You might find buyers here too. No fees.

What do you mean by that exactly? First i've heard of it...

I mean, is this some new generalized problem or just the usual couple black sheep that have always been present? So far i have had nothing but good experiences with Ebay as far as Lego is concerned as a Buyer AND a seller!
Yes, it happened more than once to somebody I bought a set from Bricklink last year (that I picked up in person). The person was actually an independent authorized distributor. He told me not to sell expensive LEGO sets on Ebay. Asked me for legal advice.

If you want the specific details of the scam, I'll send you a pm, but it has to do with eBay's strict description and strict buyer protection policies.

Rootbeer

Banned
I was going to use all my points to get the Hoth D2C set... but I'm so lukewarm to it that I've been super curious what other sets are coming this year that I could sub into that slot...

If that Disney Castle comes with Disney CMF style minifigs I think I'm going to be sold.

Rootbeer

Banned
Still glowing over my LEGO Disney CMF find on Thursday! Would love to add these to a Disney Castle display (please don't be minidolls please don't be minidolls...)

If it is indeed minifigs, I imagine they'll do what they did with Simpsons and give us print variants on some characters already released in the CMF series, plus 1 or 2 all new figures

If anyone has questions just ask :) Hope everyone finds them soon!

NbDLcAH.jpg

Hagi

Still glowing over my LEGO Disney CMF find on Thursday! Would love to add these to a Disney Castle display (please don't be minidolls please don't be minidolls...)

If it is indeed minifigs, I imagine they'll do what they did with Simpsons and give us print variants on some characters already released in the CMF series, plus 1 or 2 all new figures

If anyone has questions just ask :) Hope everyone finds them soon!

NbDLcAH.jpg

Oh cool how many did you have to buy before you got a full set? waiting for them to start showing up here in Scotland

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh cool how many did you have to buy before you got a full set? waiting for them to start showing up here in Scotland

I found them at Target, and was heading to a few other stores immediately afterwards so I didn't want to spend 30mins feeling for all 18, and since I am fine having dupes of this series, I just grabbed about 30 of them at random and got the full set and good progress on a second set. The only figure I managed to get 3 of was Mr. Fantastic, so I think I did excellent.

Thanks for the info.

yeah I noticed the Falcon on Ebay, crazy prices. There is a shop in sweden that is selling one New in box for 12000 usd... crazy.

Thanks, I cant wait to start building again.

If you're in Sweden, you should check out Swebrick if you don't know about it already. Great for local meetups.

It's a nice little $30 set with great figs. The build was fun and is nice and sturdy too. The little Hulk Cage is unnecessary and sticker laden though. Well worth the price.

Even though I prefer Marvel sets, I think that Brainiac Attack Set #76040 is the better 30$ set if I had to choose.

Even better, Brainiac Attack was a $25 set, but it has been discontinued and it will be hard to find at retail prices. I think Hulkbuster is a more entertaining set mostly because mechs are fun to pose and play with. The Brainiac Attack is definitely nice though and has a nice assortment of currently unique minifigs.

wetwired

I've binged all 2 seasons of Rick and Morty (I'm actually rewatching them again straight away) and now I want Rick and Morty LEGO :(

Ponn

Banned
Hair from the Monster Fighter scientist maybe? Might be too slicked back, but it's the first thing I thought of.

Isnt there a star shaped crown head piece? Painted light blue that might work.

I started my cut back and consolidate initiative this weekend. Sold 4 of my backlog sets and made a bricklink order for just figs and Thanos. Its not a cold turkey stop but like a controlled burn.

I started my cut back and consolidate initiative this weekend. Sold 4 of my backlog sets and made a bricklink order for just figs and Thanos. Its not a cold turkey stop but like a controlled burn.

You are "living the dream" brother.... Sigh, this is what i SHOULD be doing instead of buying even MORE sets :(

Ryuuroden

I need to start a cut back on starting new themes and such. I am finally starting the planning stages to build my dream house which I want to happen in mid 2017 when financing will finally be open to me as I will have finished serving my time in "oh, you're self employed, well we can't give you personal loans of any sort till we have a couple years of tax records" purgatory. I get the reasons but it really puts a freeze on your life.

My business partner was in the midst of looking for a new home when our old boss said, well I'm retiring". His lender basically then said nope, even though our new business is same line of work, same customers. He's been stuck in his house that's too small for his family for 2 extra years despite our income being doubled.

I need to put more money aside for a down payment.

Ponn

Banned
You are "living the dream" brother.... Sigh, this is what i SHOULD be doing instead of buying even MORE sets :(

I need to start a cut back on starting new themes and such. I am finally starting the planning stages to build my dream house which I want to happen in mid 2017 when financing will finally be open to me as I will have finished serving my time in "oh, you're self employed, well we can't give you personal loans of any sort till we have a couple years of tax records" purgatory. I get the reasons but it really puts a freeze on your life.

My business partner was in the midst of looking for a new home when our old boss said, well I'm retiring". His lender basically then said nope, even though our new business is same line of work, same customers. He's been stuck in his house that's too small for his family for 2 extra years despite our income being doubled.

I need to put more money aside for a down payment.

It's really, really tough selling sets I own. It's like cutting an arm off, especially oop sets. And right now its more like focusing, trimming the fat of sets that will never be displayed, realizing having sets for moc purposes is never going to work out. I sold my extra Avengers tower set because I haven't even put one of them together, forget mocing a bigger one with two. I also sold my Battle of Five Armies because I don't really need that Thorin fig, also this will upset the Nexo Knight fans but I sold my couple Nexo Knights sets because another theme is the last thing I need to be collecting.

I'm going to focus on superhero figs only which means really cheap sets with all great figs (like the new Gotham Cycle chase set) or sets with alot of figs and make great display scenes (like the upcoming NY bridge battle). Past that only yearly modulars, Winter sets and UCS Star Wars vehicles. Going to be hard sticking with that, i'm already wavering debating on getting Tower Bridge yet again because I know its going to go oop with Big Ben and I have this sinking feeling I will want Big Ben. I wish there was like an AA for Lego addiction.

TheFuzz

Found the Dieney CMF series at Target. Didn't have enough time to feel (and wanted Buzz and Ariel for my daughter), so grabbed two. I'll have to go back.

Oddly enough they are ringing up at 3.39, I thought that was odd.

Found the Dieney CMF series at Target. Didn't have enough time to feel (and wanted Buzz and Ariel for my daughter), so grabbed two. I'll have to go back.

Oddly enough they are ringing up at 3.39, I thought that was odd.

I find it odd you didn't go back right away and pick up 16 more at that price. :)

Anyone able to get me two large PAB cups of mostly 1x4 SNOT and 1x1 Snot to fill the gaps? Can send a set of equivalent value, like Raptor Escape, or a gift card or something. Just don't know when I will actually get to a store.

ghostmind

76056 Rescue From Ra's Al Ghul

• Includes Ra's al Ghul, Desert Batman, Talia al Ghul, Robin (Damian Wayne).
• Includes desert buggy bat-vehicle, exploding doorway, jail cell for Robin, staircase, and minifigure-launching green pool.

76056 Rescue From Ra's Al Ghul

• Includes Ra's al Ghul, Desert Batman, Talia al Ghul, Robin (Damian Wayne).
• Includes desert buggy bat-vehicle, exploding doorway, jail cell for Robin, staircase, and minifigure-launching green pool.
Will the Talia minfig have her "worst death scene ever" face?

Rick and Morty is amazing. Check also the early stuff on Vimeo.

Gonna step in here and actually advise you not to do this. The original Rick & Morty shorts (or Doc & Marty, they don't even try to be clever about it) that were made for Channel 101 are IMO fucking awful and absolutely nothing at all like the series. The show is brilliant but the shorts are about as far from that as you can get. And I like vulgar humor (obviously since I like the actual show).

---

So disappointed in the new City sets. And it's gonna be ages until we find out what the next subthemes are since these aren't even out, isn't it? ):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom