• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Those Trashoz Mixels are pretty nice. I think I'll get those. Maybe Newzers too.

26482421411_fa13b948aa.jpg

25943513994_4c8d4129fb.jpg

25945572953_d691752c51.jpg
These look great! I dont collect (all the) Mixels but I feel TLG have struck gold with them as a whole.

Usually great part usage in every set and really imaginative with the tribes too. Kinda tapping into the whole Minions-vibe.

I hope they make them forever, along with the CMFs.

Koren

No hyperbole: Haunted House is in the Top 5 Lego sets ever released.
Don't know if it makes top 5 (too hard to rank them) but it was the set that make me dive again in Lego, alongside D2-R2. I grabbed one of the last ones, and don't regret it.

I thought I would use it to MOC a Adams Family manor, but I'll probably rather bricklink it and keep the Haunted House...

Don't know if it makes top 5 (too hard to rank them) but it was the set that make me dive again in Lego, alongside D2-R2. I grabbed one of the last ones, and don't regret it.

I thought I would use it to MOC a Adams Family manor, but I'll probably rather bricklink it and keep the Haunted House...

My Top 5 (that I own & have assembled):
1.Imperial Flagship
2. UCS Imperial Shuttle
3. UCS Death Star
4. Haunted House
5. Whitecap Bay

Recall

So I bought my Son on Amazon a Lego set he really wanted. It cost £29, Spider-Man set. It arrived today and it is the tiniest fucking set I've ever seen for that price, I feel cheated but it's my own fault not doing my research.

Went to Tesco later on and they had something similar yet it was in a gigantic box for just £13. If only I knew.

Oh well, hope he enjoys what he asked for :)

So I bought my Son on Amazon a Lego set he really wanted. It cost £29, Spider-Man set. It arrived today and it is the tiniest fucking set I've ever seen for that price, I feel cheated but it's my own fault not doing my research.

Went to Tesco later on and they had something similar yet it was in a gigantic box for just £13. If only I knew.

Oh well, hope he enjoys what he asked for :)

Amazon has a customer friendly return policy. What set was it?

My first 30 Ultron bots arrived. I'm 20 in and my fingers are killing me. This is not easy. I have another 30 coming in a seperate order too, which makes it hurt more just thinking about assembling those too!

Recall

Amazon has a customer friendly return policy. What set was it?

It is set number...10665

Lego junior Spider-Man car pursuit, something like that.

It is a birthday gift, and myself not being clued up on my purchase is my own fault, just didn't think it would be so small.

Size ain't everything right, I'm sure he will enjoy it regardless.

Does Lego not have anything between bigfigs like Hulk and basic bodies?
With all of the series in hand Mr Incredible is the only one I absolutely dislike(sadly he is also the only one I got a double of.)

Recall

Does Lego not have anything between bigfigs like Hulk and basic bodies?
With all of the series in hand Mr Incredible is the only one I absolutely dislike(sadly he is also the only one I got a double of.)

What's the name of that toy line that has Lego like super hero figures but are a couple inches tall and they come with skateboards?

It is set number...10665

Lego junior Spider-Man car pursuit, something like that.

It is a birthday gift, and myself not being clued up on my purchase is my own fault, just didn't think it would be so small.

Size ain't everything right, I'm sure he will enjoy it regardless.

I saw the listing. You bought from a 3rd party seller as this set is out of production. I believe the original price was closer to 12£.

I know the feeling as my son asked for a toy story set that was released years ago and I paid a premium to get it.

Help me LEGOGAF, i REALLY need to stop ordering sets :(((

I thought it was kind of under control after my recent SuperHero and Star Wars sets buying spree but then i just now saw the City: Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set 30% of on amazon and i just HAD to grab it UGH!

Then again, that IS one fine looking set and i have wondered a couple times whether i should grab it or not so...

If push comes to shove i can always sell it later right? (although who knows whether i'm gonna lose money on that the way some sets appreciate in price while others even DROP in price on the aftermarket nowadays)

Or i'll just build it and display it like my initial plan was...

*confused rant over*

Help me LEGOGAF, i REALLY need to stop ordering sets :(((

I thought it was kind of under control after my recent SuperHero and Star Wars sets buying spree but then i just now saw the City: Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set 30% of on amazon and i just HAD to grab it UGH!

Then again, that IS one fine looking set and i have wondered a couple times whether i should grab it or not so...

If push comes to shove i can always sell it later right? (although who knows whether i'm gonna lose money on that the way some sets appreciate in price while others even DROP in price on the aftermarket nowadays)

Or i'll just build it and display it like my initial plan was...

*confused rant over*

Thanks for letting me know about the Sea Exploration set!

These look great! I dont collect (all the) Mixels but I feel TLG have struck gold with them as a whole.

Usually great part usage in every set and really imaginative with the tribes too. Kinda tapping into the whole Minions-vibe.

I hope they make them forever, along with the CMFs.

The small ball joints were a huge game changer. For non-Mixel sets, so many ball joints are used, the build feels more like a constraction build.

My first 30 Ultron bots arrived. I'm 20 in and my fingers are killing me. This is not easy. I have another 30 coming in a seperate order too, which makes it hurt more just thinking about assembling those too!

Is Ultron attacking your LEGO city?

Speaking of knockoffs. Can anyone spot the quality control issue?

Ponn

Banned
Upsidedown face and no printing on Black Panther's legs!

I love upside down faces, they are so hilarious. I though the official BP fig didn't have printing on the legs either though? It was another thing that soured me on that set. I know people are loving it but for me its a $30 set with only one fig I want and vehicles that will immediately get throwin into a parts box. Really making me just want to wait a year or so and see if we get a better BP fig in a better set i'm more excited for.

I love upside down faces, they are so hilarious. I though the official BP fig didn't have printing on the legs either though? It was another thing that soured me on that set. I know people are loving it but for me its a $30 set with only one fig I want and vehicles that will immediately get throwin into a parts box. Really making me just want to wait a year or so and see if we get a better BP fig in a better set i'm more excited for.

It's my commentary that Lego not having printing on BP's legs is a quality issue.

It loses it's humor when I have to explain it!

The quality control issue is they mixed a DC character with Marvel characters!

I found the upside down head printing very amusing. I wonder how many ended up like that.

iosefe

speaking o quiality control, i had brought home a damaged set, curious of what was wrong with it.

The Lincoln memorial.

instead of having a bag of 1x1 studs with holes and a bag of rods, it had two bags of studs

whoops

speaking o quiality control, i had brought home a damaged set, curious of what was wrong with it.

The Lincoln memorial.

instead of having a bag of 1x1 studs with holes and a bag of rods, it had two bags of studs

whoops

Those studs with holes are great so bonus!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
These were the knock-offs right? Got a link?

My problem with the first Avengers wave and now this most recent one was lack of NPC army figs- couldnt do the Invasion of New York justice really without the coin. I wouldnt mind some cheap(er) Ultron troops though!

These were the knock-offs right? Got a link?

My problem with the first Avengers wave and now this most recent one was lack of NPC army figs- couldnt do the Invasion of New York justice really without the coin. I wouldnt mind some cheap(er) Ultron troops though!

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/325178...d-1461286884345-05625-ENjUBzea&aff_platform=y

I did 2 orders at over 30$ each and got an extra $1 off each order. Also, they were .82 when I bought them last week. Already went up a cent! No shipping, no tax either. They come with a buttload of extra parts. The figs themselves are flawless. I really love these. However, the transparent parts used for hands and jet feet are lacking. They are cloudy compared to Lego and even have some flash remaining from the mould. A little dyi fixed them right up though.

I'm using the black/blue minifigs from the $10 AoU set as lieutenants for the army. They stand out very well against the red of my bots. Of course I have Ultron as well.

I'm very impressed with these.

I only recieved the first order of my Hydra troopers as well, but I imagine those will look equally impressive once massed together with a few Hydra tanks and Red Skull leading from the front.

Quick and dirty pic:

D8653EDE-50D4-4C46-ADCA-93B64772F086.jpg

So, Avengers taking on these guys on one side of the city, and SHEILD on the other fighting a Hydra ground force consisting of around 50 troops and 3 tanks from the cap set. The SHEILD side will have 3 original Quinjets landing troops. Troops will be about 15 standard troops with 6 Agents of SHEILD, Nick Fury, and Maria Hill leading them.

I'll have so many Ultron bots, I may just make it a super hero battle royale and throw in some of my extra heroes and the Fantastic Four. I am super impressed with my FF figs which are a collection of the best figs across several manufacturers.

iosefe

There is no quadruple points for the May the 4th event.

Generally, of there are overlapping promotions, the one that gives the most points is the one that takes priority. Since the values are the same, only one activates

I might actually get to a LEGO store to ransack the PAB wall. Debating between driving tomorrow or driving on the 30th for Star Wars. Not sure if I want to go for it. And I know I will be weak and get Sandcrawler then.

I am still hemming and hawing, lol.

teeny

So I did a cheeky test last night before starting on the Brick Bank and it seems that raising the modulars a plate higher, extending the pavement and using plates/tiles as a road gives enough of an impression of a curb, so that's what I am going with. It doesn't look as nice as the brick built roads with the modulars raised up even higher or set into a recession but it's cheaper and quite effective - I'll be sure to take some pictures when I'm done.

This does mean, however, that I have to deconstruct the Parisian Restaurant in order to add a layer of light bley plates to the baseplate, but it's quite a nice problem to have :)

I wish I had enough shelf space to make an entire road but now only have the space to do half of it, up to the white centre markers. But the method I'm using allows for easy expansion in the future. I'll also likely not run out of road parts as I'm using the minifigure stands in place of tiles.

I've also got an idea for a little MOC, sort of like the seasonal dioramas, of an alleyway containing a mysterious blue police box...

Osahi

You'd only need to deconstruct the ground floor though. Post pics of your set up when done, very curious about how it will look.

wetwired

So I did a cheeky test last night before starting on the Brick Bank and it seems that raising the modulars a plate higher, extending the pavement and using plates/tiles as a road gives enough of an impression of a curb, so that's what I am going with. It doesn't look as nice as the brick built roads with the modulars raised up even higher or set into a recession but it's cheaper and quite effective - I'll be sure to take some pictures when I'm done.

This does mean, however, that I have to deconstruct the Parisian Restaurant in order to add a layer of light bley plates to the baseplate, but it's quite a nice problem to have :)

I wish I had enough shelf space to make an entire road but now only have the space to do half of it, up to the white centre markers. But the method I'm using allows for easy expansion in the future. I'll also likely not run out of road parts as I'm using the minifigure stands in place of tiles.

I've also got an idea for a little MOC, sort of like the seasonal dioramas, of an alleyway containing a mysterious blue police box...

If you're doing a permanent display you could just build the footpath of the modulars onto the actual roads themselves. I've done it before for a temp display and you can kind just separate the ground floor off, and move all the tiles forward on the original base plate and move any others onto the footpath of the road baseplate. It does give you a little room to make some grungy alleyways inbetween buildings as well!

I don't have mine together anymore but here's some old pics

Marty Mcfly and the Delorean and the A-Team van up the back. by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Overview of my display by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Alternatively you could just extend the sidewalk and make it thicker, add some planter boxes, phone booths, etc

teeny

You'd only need to deconstruct the ground floor though. Post pics of your set up when done, very curious about how it will look.

Very true and it will be nice to revisit it. I only have the two buildings at the moment, not really enough for a street, but it's a start :)

If you're doing a permanent display you could just build the footpath of the modulars onto the actual roads themselves. I've done it before for a temp display and you can kind just separate the ground floor off, and move all the tiles forward on the original base plate and move any others onto the footpath of the road baseplate. It does give you a little room to make some grungy alleyways inbetween buildings as well!

I don't have mine together anymore but here's some old pics

Alternatively you could just extend the sidewalk and make it thicker, add some planter boxes, phone booths, etc

That's a very cool set up! Unfortunately, my display area has just enough space to fit an additional 32 x 16 baseplate in front of the modular which, disappointingly, rules out using the road baseplates. Though I'm bookmarking your post for future reference if/when I move house :)

Using that method, you would essentially bring the whole modular forwards on the original baseplate, yes? I see you have the cinema - how does that work with the corner buildings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom