• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

If you're doing a permanent display you could just build the footpath of the modulars onto the actual roads themselves. I've done it before for a temp display and you can kind just separate the ground floor off, and move all the tiles forward on the original base plate and move any others onto the footpath of the road baseplate. It does give you a little room to make some grungy alleyways inbetween buildings as well!
That's a pity you can't fit those on a shelf, though.

I wish someone would sell 16x32 roads (just road, without pavements) and 16x16 cross.

wetwired

Using that method, you would essentially bring the whole modular forwards on the original baseplate, yes? I see you have the cinema - how does that work with the corner buildings?

There's some plates on the corner of the intersection and the rest on are the other 2 straight road pieces, basically the corner cinema footpage is on 3 road plates

teeny

There's some plates on the corner of the intersection and the rest on are the other 2 straight road pieces, basically the corner cinema footpage is on 3 road plates

Ah, I see, I should have looked more closely, thanks. I'll definitely keep this idea for the future as it seems the best way to display vehicles alongside the buildings, which is the primary reason for the exercise :) The little movie scenes playing out in that display are so fun.

Seeing Wetwire's display makes me realize that the city looks a lot better if you can look down on it a bit. Mine is displayed at chest high level, so any vehicles will block the view of street level activity in front of the buildings.

As far as streets are concerned, I'm considering doing a brick built one circa 1930's city street. It would be more like cobblestone or brick in texture. I'm only doing a single lane in front, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make if I do it.

teeny

Seeing Wetwire's display makes me realize that the city looks a lot better if you can look down on it a bit. Mine is displayed at chest high level, so any vehicles will block the view of street level activity in front of the buildings.

As far as streets are concerned, I'm considering doing a brick built one circa 1930's city street. It would be more like cobblestone or brick in texture. I'm only doing a single lane in front, so it shouldn't be too difficult to make if I do it.

That I would love to see. When you say brick built, do you mean something like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

A cobbled road would look cool using the profile brick bricks. Or more like SNOT with tiles to simulate (real) bricks?

Anyone having trouble with logging in to LEGO Ideas? It asked my LEGO ID so I used the one I use for s&h, but now it's saying I had another Ideas profile with that email account already so I need to change my email associated with my LEGO ID.

Nm, I figured it out. Apparently I had another ID I never used.

TheFuzz

Heads-up: Toys R Us has a printable coupon that gives 20% off all purchases this weekend, Lego is NOT EXCLUDED.

Promo code is Friend20 on their website. Tried a few items already and it's a pretty nice discount on a lot of newer sets still at MSRP.

Arg.

I checked out a local thrift shop and there was a guy checking out with a boxed 4954 Model Home that he was paying $20 for.

Gutted.

Edit: I can't grammar

Just placed an order for the Mr Freeze on eBay. $16 is much more attractive to me right now than $75 on top of a new set or two that I'll have nowhere to put. It's the most I've ever spent on a single minifig but I'm honestly surprised he wasn't more? Is the desire for him somewhat tepid due to him only fitting in with a $275 set?

Just placed an order for the Mr Freeze on eBay. $16 is much more attractive to me right now than $75 on top of a new set or two that I'll have nowhere to put. It's the most I've ever spent on a single minifig but I'm honestly surprised he wasn't more? Is the desire for him somewhat tepid due to him only fitting in with a $275 set?

I'd imagine that part of the "cheap" prize is the fact that the promo got extended and you can STILL readily grab him at the Lego store...

Also: Consider yourself lucky that he is the most expensive fig you have ever bought ;)

I think mine was the old Minifig Hulk at 24 euro or something...

Heads-up: Toys R Us has a printable coupon that gives 20% off all purchases this weekend, Lego is NOT EXCLUDED.

Promo code is Friend20 on their website. Tried a few items already and it's a pretty nice discount on a lot of newer sets still at MSRP.
Thanks! Gonna see what my store has.

Arg.

I checked out a local thrift shop and there was a guy checking out with a boxed 4954 Model Home that he was paying $20 for.

Gutted.

I've never had this happen, but I'm sure it would hurt! I found 3300002 2011 Holiday Set 2 of 2 at a thrift new in box for $0.99 yesterday.

Am I alone in preferring the minifig series Buzz to the Toy Story 3 version?
By a lot.

I dunno man... that head though...

I like them both, maybe since I have the original moulded one I don't mind the standard LEGO minifig head. I imagine purists will like the standard head. I'm glad they gave us both versions. If LEGO ever did Peanuts (Snoopy), I'd like to get both standard heads with new hair moulds and special moulded heads.

Special mould heads detracts from the iconic minifig head, but they are much better for characters with very unusually shaped heads (i.e. Squidward). It's a fine line between keeping LEGO iconic minifig and from becoming a mini-action figure like Mega Blok does a lot.

When you have a special mould head, you lose a lot of the fun aspects of a standard LEGO head which is the interchangeability with hats, hairs, etc. Even putting it in a brick built construction. Reusuability drastically diminishes with special heads.

Despite the lack of reusuability, I do like special moulded heads as long as LEGO continues to use them sparingly and only when very necessary.

So I am looking to make a decent size purchase but I am torn between the Helicarrier and the Batcave. I have more Marvel stuff but would like to get into the Batman stuff as well. Which is the better and more fun build?

TheFuzz

So I am looking to make a decent size purchase but I am torn between the Helicarrier and the Batcave. I have more Marvel stuff but would like to get into the Batman stuff as well. Which is the better and more fun build?

IMHO if you're able to find one at a reasonable price, Arkham Asylum Breakout would be my first choice.

I like them both, maybe since I have the original moulded one I don't mind the standard LEGO minifig head. I imagine purists will like the standard head. I'm glad they gave us both versions. If LEGO ever did Peanuts (Snoopy), I'd like to get both standard heads with new hair moulds and special moulded heads.

Special mould heads detracts from the iconic minifig head, but they are much better for characters with very unusually shaped heads (i.e. Squidward). It's a fine line between keeping LEGO iconic minifig and from becoming a mini-action figure like Mega Blok does a lot.

When you have a special mould head, you lose a lot of the fun aspects of a standard LEGO head which is the interchangeability with hats, hairs, etc. Even putting it in a brick built construction. Reusuability drastically diminishes with special heads.

Despite the lack of reusuability, I do like special moulded heads as long as LEGO continues to use them sparingly and only when very necessary.

Its kinda funny because the standard Lego heads bug the hell out of me if they don't have an attachment because it looks so unfinished with licensed characters, especially next to others with hair or hats.

yet the new Buzz just works for me, maybe because it makes the Toy Story characters look cohesive instead of mixmatched toylines they typically are(I always kinda wanted to see cohesive versions of those characters from Andy's imagination which TS3 almost did.)
Or that its supposed to be Lego Buzz instead of action figure Buzz in Lego form.

Its kinda funny because the standard Lego heads bug the hell out of me if they don't have an attachment because it looks so unfinished with licensed characters, especially next to others with hair or hats.

yet the new Buzz just works for me, maybe because it makes the Toy Story characters look cohesive instead of mixmatched toylines they typically are(I always kinda wanted to see cohesive versions of those characters from Andy's imagination which TS3 almost did.)

For your viewing pleasure:

Ryuuroden

Arg.

Gutted.

Ah, that's like when I saw I just missed the set with the elephant from that adventure series at a thrift store like a year ago for 10 dollars.

If you want a specialized bald head, it should just be a standard minifig head with a studectomy. Or it may end up looking like this:

Egghead_from_Batman_66.jpg

I think a pure bald character will likely always look off unless they made studless heads.
However a cap piece could work for something like Captain America or Spiderman imo.

Black Panther's for example if you adjust the printing(slightly inlarge and move up a tad)
is absolutely perfect.

Ponn

Banned

That's a tough choice with a lot of variables. First and foremost I would suggest the Batcave only if you are a big Batman fan. The figs and callbacks to classic Batman are what really make that set. You will enjoy the building experience, especially if you are at all a fan of the Adam Weeee Batman show. Some neat building techniques and alot of useful parts in this set. I sound like a broken record but alot of expensive large plates and building struts. Hopefully you were able to get that Mr. Freeze polybag.

The Helicarrier is a beast. Kind of the opposite though of the Batcave though where the figs are weak but the build is what really makes that set. Was heck of alot of fun to build and enjoyed every bag opening as the set slowly comes together and you get the real scale of it. The nanofigs are real nice for the set along with the microbuilds. You can still create scenes with the set even though its not minifig scale plus if you happen to have power functions thats a neat little extra you can add to it. It's a UCS set through and through so its meant for display.

Normally I would say Helicarrier first because thats a year or so old now and the first to go oop but I have a feeling if the Batcave sells poorly that may do a surprise early disappearing act like the Tumbler. Both take up large footprints as far as display goes. If I had to choose only one I would probably pick Helicarrier because it looks really cool and imposing on display.

But it looks like the DCCU version...

I want a 90d Aquaman, complete with beard and harpoon hand.

But he looks so good with his girl hair!

You can tell someone put thought into the fig, which makes him special to me. The silver trident and the mailed arm are nice touches. I really like the brightly colored Justice League minifigs, but I already have a decent amount of the figs from the movies which are darker and have a different character to them. I guess I have the same thing going with some of my Marvel figs to a certain extent too.

Wow, my Sea Explorer just delivered. That was fast!

For those of you that haven't gotten any Disney CMFs yet and want a closer look, Bricks magazine put out a nice free digital copy of their The Bricks Disney Collectable LEGO Minifigures Guide.

25984634964_5593717e16_z.jpg

Brickset article here.

You need to register to view it though. It is nicely done. Photo quality could be better. Lighting is a bit harsh. Hey, it's free.

Close-up the feet printing on Mickey and Minnie seem to be noticeably off. Wonder why they just didn't pad print the whole front foot instead of fitting a smaller rectangle print inside. The Buzz photo shows a very bad foot print (pun intended). Alice's foot printing is nicely lined up. I do recall seeing this in other minifigs, but I don't remember the alignment being so off. I'm sure the extreme close-up is magnifying the alignment issue. The rest of the minifig printings looks really good. Oops, one of them has a badly lined up leg printing.

Seems like there is a bit of low res blockiness that is occurring in the digital version. Very noticeable in the black letters and black lines on minifigs.

Ursula wins for the best new mould IMO.

But he looks so good with his girl hair!

You can tell someone put thought into the fig, which makes him special to me. The silver trident and the mailed arm are nice touches. I really like the brightly colored Justice League minifigs, but I already have a decent amount of the figs from the movies which are darker and have a different character to them. I guess I have the same thing going with some of my Marvel figs to a certain extent too.

Wow, my Sea Explorer just delivered. That was fast!

That the one i ordered as well...like yesterday was it? I always thought you were US based, that promo was amazon.de i think...

For those of you that haven't gotten any Disney CMFs yet and want a closer look, Bricks magazine put out a nice free digital copy of their The Bricks Disney Collectable LEGO Minifigures Guide.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1600/25984634964_5593717e16_z.jpg

Brickset article here.

You need to register to view it though. It is nicely done. Photo quality could be better. Lighting is a bit harsh. Hey, it's free.

Close-up the feet printing on Mickey and Minnie seem to be noticeably off. Wonder why they just didn't pad print the whole front foot instead of fitting a smaller rectangle print inside. The Buzz photo shows a very bad foot print (pun intended). Alice's foot printing is nicely lined up. I do recall seeing this in other minifigs, but I don't remember the alignment being so off. I'm sure the extreme close-up is magnifying the alignment issue. The rest of the minifig printings looks really good. Oops, one of them has a badly lined up leg printing.

Seems like there is a bit of low res blockiness that is occurring in the digital version. Very noticeable in the black letters and black lines on minifigs.

Ursula wins for the best new mould IMO.
Im going to be pissed if we don't get more past the rumored Disney Castle.

If they did another 18
Belle, Beast,
Hercules, Hades
Woody, Jessie, Bo
Lilo, Mulan, Jasmine, Aurora
Snow White, Evil Queen
Anna, Elsa
Rapunzel, Flynn
Tiana

Gaston, Pocahontas, John Smith, Eric, Charming, Meg as alternatives.

Have you guys tried the Offer Up app? It's another marketplace like craigslist but much friendlier and more streamlined. I scored one of my white whales today-Robie House. Picked it up with Fallingwater for $180.

TheFuzz

Im going to be pissed if we don't get more past the rumored Disney Castle.

If they did another 18
Belle, Beast,
Hercules, Hades
Woody, Jessie, Bo
Lilo, Mulan, Jasmine, Aurora
Snow White, Evil Queen
Anna, Elsa
Rapunzel, Flynn
Tiana

Gaston, Pocahontas, John Smith, Eric, Charming, Meg as alternatives.

Gaston as an alternative!?!?

Son, just don't.

Jk, but we need a Sully and Mike, too.

Dropped by my local Lego store today and asked if they had any invitations left for this event. The cashier didn't know anything about it and went to the back to talk to his manager. He came back out with an invitation and specifically said that there's no +1 with it. I graciously thanked him. Drop by your local store today. You never know. Today was a good day.

59935331-d88b-44ed-b6ee-e46d89d7720b_zpsmqhxjeeo.jpg

Dropped by my local Lego store today and asked if they had any invitations left for this event. The cashier didn't know anything about it and went to the back to talk to his manager. He came back out with an invitation and specifically said that there's no +1 with it. I graciously thanked him. Drop by your local store today. You never know. Today was a good day.

59935331-d88b-44ed-b6ee-e46d89d7720b_zpsmqhxjeeo.jpg
Is that the thing where you can go in an hour before opening to beat the crowd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom