• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

Dropped by my local Lego store today and asked if they had any invitations left for this event. The cashier didn't know anything about it and went to the back to talk to his manager. He came back out with an invitation and specifically said that there's no +1 with it. I graciously thanked him. Drop by your local store today. You never know. Today was a good day.

The lego stores are giving them specifically to VIP members who buy a relatively high amount. not sure what our store's threshold for deciding who is who.

officially, there is a list, but in practice, it never works out, so we would give them to VIP members.

Shit, the millennium falcon microfighter is worth $32 now? Glad I got it when I did lol. Love the little thing.

Glad I invested in $2000 worth of that set to resell. :)
Just kidding. I bought 2 extras (can't remember...it's in one of my stashes in the house) for future gifts or to resell later.

Rootbeer

Banned
Shit, the millennium falcon microfighter is worth $32 now? Glad I got it when I did lol. Love the little thing.

I'm pretty stunned, to be honest. I didn't think those little sets would get much aftermarket interest, especially when it contains a common minifig. Let's see just how high it will go!

I actually have two of that set, found one for $5 on sale.

I'm starting to wonder how valuable The Force Awakens sets will be once the nostalgia factor of it starts to set in on people. Never underestimate Star wars sets, that fact keeps getting hammered home for me.

I'm pretty stunned, to be honest. I didn't think those little sets would get much aftermarket interest, especially when it contains a common minifig. Let's see just how high it will go!

I actually have two of that set, found one for $5 on sale.

I'm starting to wonder how valuable The Force Awakens sets will be once the nostalgia factor of it starts to set in on people. Never underestimate Star wars sets, that fact keeps getting hammered home for me.

Yet it seems to ONLY be the MF Microfighter specifically... I checked and the other MFs have appreciated a little but by far not as much.

ghostmind

LEGO has done something rather unusual for them - sent out a pre-emptive damage control PR piece on the soon-to-be-released 75098 Assault on Hoth set.

http://brickset.com/article/20814/assault-on-hoth-is-it-all-bad

LEGO stands strong behind the quality of their product... to see them falter like this is interesting.

Something really went wrong with the development of this set, that resulted in it being delayed by at least 7 months. One of the developer comments in the manual states "A new AT-AT just came out last year, so you can still replay the whole battle in style". The set being referred to is 75054, which was released almost two years ago, and is now OOP.

That it was delayed so long, and still revealed in the state it was in, speaks to something amiss in the Star Wars team. That it has been labelled as a UCS set has sparked the ire of the community. Hopefully whatever caused this to happen does not affect future sets from the group, but it is worrisome.

Anyway the pitchforks are out in anticipation of this set's release, and it sounds like the Brickset review is only going to feed that.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Its a mess.

The rag-tag vignettes making up the playset are miles away from both the UCS branding and AFOL expectation.

Definitely not the Echo Base set I wanted. I was hoping for something with more mass like the Ewok Village.

Hagi

It's definitely not what I had pictured for a "UCS" Hoth set. It's a bundle of sets packaged as one. Plus it's way too expensive. I would rather buy Ewok Village at this point.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Same 'glorified playset' criticisms can be levelled at the 60s Batcave too.

I've just got the set and am enjoying building it, but features like the fireman's pole* and the rather fragmented shape of it suggest LEGO's trying to satisfy both collectors and younger audiences with these bigger sets. We've been seeing the big sets creep in to non-exclusive retailers for the last two years, that can't be a coincidence.

Obviously this approach worked for the Death Star - and we know that bigger UCS sets which focus more on presentation (B-Wing, Tumbler) have a shorter shelf life.

* This annoys me quite a bit, btw. This is the third major Batcave set, and both of the others have decent to good Bruce-to-Batman transformation mechanisms. Still can't quite understand why this £250 set I have focuses on play but doesn't really make an effort with the Bruce/Dick firepoles.

Kyari

My thoughts on Echo base have always been that it looks like a series of childrens playsets rahther than a UCS set. Its been a hard pass from me since the reveal.

Currently building my ebayed Green Grocer and... man, DAT first floor front!! Just did the lights in front of the little residential entrance and they are both the flimsiest build i have ever done for lights and the best looking ones from an aesthetic point of view (using sextants is genius)

ghostmind

From the designer himself, it was more like designing several regular retail sets at once:

zIZtEC5.jpg

How do you go from designing UCS Slave I (and the 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter) to this?

Ponn

Banned
From the designer himself, it was more like designing several regular retail sets at once:

How do you go from designing UCS Slave I (and the 75140 Resistance Troop Transporter) to this?

Gotta take a break and phone it in once in awhile right?

I feel they would have saved themselves alot of grief by not calling this a UCS set or taking the spot away from one for it. Maybe they should even reconsider their model of releasing Star Wars sets with all the new movies coming out and people still clamoring for OT sets. Since they want to have lots of smaller Star Wars sets on the shelves but retail having limited space this could be a sort of solution for some themes. Instead of taking up a whole release schedule with smaller hoth sets having one bigger set encompassing them all could work instead and free up that release schedule. I could see this working for other parts of Star Wars movies like Mos Eisley, Endor battle, Bespin, etc. It may suck for those that want the sets in piecemeal but it doesn't mean they can't come back to them later and do that, its just a way to keep themes in rotation more often.

Has anyone here seen this:

Voltron + Lego = awesomeness: http://nerdapproved.com/toys/lego-voltron-set/

It looks very cool concept. Hopefully we can get into production just like how there is a ghostbuster set. :)

Supported! Those small ball joints were game changers and made that awesome version possible.

I'd buy 2 and buy another one as a gift to my sister who loves Voltron. $100 set, no problem!

The big issue I think would be the worldwide appeal to younger demographics to greenlight it. I don't think there are any kids that know what Voltron is. Would kids be attracted to the set just based on seeing it? I would think so, but without any current cartoon or movie to drive interest it would have limited demand from kids.

I expect this to fail due to licensing issues.

What licensing issues? I know Robotech U.S. licensing is a mess, but I am not familiar with Voltron licensing issue.

Gotta take a break and phone it in once in awhile right?

I feel they would have saved themselves alot of grief by not calling this a UCS set or taking the spot away from one for it. Maybe they should even reconsider their model of releasing Star Wars sets with all the new movies coming out and people still clamoring for OT sets. Since they want to have lots of smaller Star Wars sets on the shelves but retail having limited space this could be a sort of solution for some themes. Instead of taking up a whole release schedule with smaller hoth sets having one bigger set encompassing them all could work instead and free up that release schedule. I could see this working for other parts of Star Wars movies like Mos Eisley, Endor battle, Bespin, etc. It may suck for those that want the sets in piecemeal but it doesn't mean they can't come back to them later and do that, its just a way to keep themes in rotation more often.

It's not even a terrible product it's just been mishandled the worst way possible by LEGO sticking a premium price tag on it and calling it UCS.

I agree. Calling it UCS and bundling them all together was a mistake. They should have just re-released them as individual sets like they rehash stuff all the time. Then they could have sold the individual sets as a bundled package.

Forgot to mention I saw this past Friday that LEGO retail store put more sets on 20% sale. Scooby Doo Mystery Mansion was the one that stuck out in my mind. There were a few others, but I don't recall which ones.

One of the employees told me the sales would last until near end of April before May deals kicked in.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
What licensing issues? I know Robotech U.S. licensing is a mess, but I am not familiar with Voltron licensing issue.

I don't know any specifics, but I'm usually pessimistic when it comes to LEGO Ideas submissions based on IPs which must be licensed.

Is the property popular enough to offset any licensing costs? Are there companies out there who already have exclusive toy rights of the property?

I'm betting on its chances being very low.

robochimp

Dreamworks straight up owns voltron now.

Minions are also Dreamworks and are with mega bloks, so there will probably be a licensing problem.

Edit: oops not Dreamworks

Minions are also Dreamworks and are with mega bloks, so there will probably be a licensing problem.
Minions is not Dreamworks. It's Universal's animation arm. They're the team that did Despicable Me and the Lorax and will be doing the upcoming Secret Life of Pets and Grinch animated movie.

ghostmind

Minions is not Dreamworks. It's Universal's animation arm. They're the team that did Despicable Me and the Lorax and will be doing the upcoming Secret Life of Pets and Grinch animated movie.

Illumination Entertainment - shame they went with Mega Bloks, the Minions advent calendar my son had for 2015 was the worst.

Illumination Entertainment - shame they went with Mega Bloks, the Minions advent calendar my son had for 2015 was the worst.
My parents are unfortunately in love with them, I got them a couple blind bags of he Mega Blok figures for Christmas and holy shit I can't imagine a child being able to put them together unaided. My fingers were KILLING me after two or three of them in a way that not even 8 hours building a modular has made them hurt. I honestly can't believe the parts didn't break or snap, they required so much pressure to pop into their joints. Awful.

I imagine if Lego had the rights the minifigs would look very similar to the Angry Birds figs. Maybe by the time Minions 2 or DM3 comes out Lego will get the rights, not that I want the brand sullied by Minions ugh /unbearablesnark

I finished building the Super Hero Airport Battle set last night.

I left Giant Man to the end, and was incredibly pleased with the whole set. The airport tower while small has several play features and holds up pretty well to busy little hands. The tiny Quinjet was a fun build & the fig selection is very nice. I hadn't realized just how tiny the Statuettes are - they're so small!

As others have said, Giant Man steals the show. The moment I attached the first leg to the torso I had the biggest, goofiest grin on my face. They absolutely nailed everything about it, even if it does have stickers.

Realizing that this set added yet another couple of Iron Man armors to my collection, I took stock of my Marvel hero & villain figs. According to Brickset I'm missing 12 outside of the SDCC ones. Two are from the micro Hulk/Ultron set that's out now, two are from the Dock Ock sets I never got and eight are from the Helicarrier. That's pretty close to a complete non-SDCC collection.....so now I'm watching Helicarrier reviews and debating whether or not to get it. I love the tiny ant-man Statuette and the thought of several more (including doggie Fury) is really appealing. For those that have it, what are your honest opinions? Is it a decent display set? I have no interest in adding power functions & the kids will likely spend no more than a few moments playing with it.

gsrjedi

They opened a LEGOLAND Discovery Center here in Phoenix this week. My nephews birthday was last week so his parents took him and I tagged along. It was pretty neat, definitely kid oriented and the kids really had fun. I was super excited to find a Wall-E in their store when we left.

As stupid as it sounds, one of my favorite things about Giant Man is that the legs have the same limited range of motion as a regular mini figure. It is a little touch, but I love it.

They opened a LEGOLAND Discovery Center here in Phoenix this week. My nephews birthday was last week so his parents took him and I tagged along. It was pretty neat, definitely kid oriented and the kids really had fun. I was super excited to find a Wall-E in their store when we left.

I was in Phoenix all last week, and I'm headed there again on Tuesday to speak at a conference. How far out of downtown is the Discovery Center? Any idea if they have any exclusive items?

On an unrelated note, I crossed some side streets at sunset and the sun is like the goddamn eye of Sauron down there. Insanely bright.

As stupid as it sounds, one of my favorite things about Giant Man is that the legs have the same limited range of motion as a regular mini figure. It is a little touch, but I love it.

That's what I loved! If you want to pose a "walking" motion you need to take the same care you would with a standard fig. Amazing.

Edit: oops not Dreamworks

Didn't realize there is a remake in the works. If cartoon is successful, I can see the 80's version LEGO Ideas project getting made. Or just maybe the mere fact it would coincide with a remake and how fast that project is getting supported.

Hope it is good. Show producters, Joaquim Dos Santos (directed Justice League Unlimited, Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra episodes) and Lauren Montgomery, have a good background in animation productions. A bit strange Princess Alura isn't in trailer or photos. She is in the reboot.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/25/heres-your-first-look-at-netflixs-voltron-series/

EDIT: I don't think Mega Bloks has a lot of clout to have a deal to encompass all Dreamworks IPs. Ionix had license to "How to Train Your Dragon" building sets. We'll just have to wait and see.

gsrjedi

I was in Phoenix all last week, and I'm headed there again on Tuesday to speak at a conference. How far out of downtown is the Discovery Center? Any idea if they have any exclusive items?

On an unrelated note, I crossed some side streets at sunset and the sun is like the goddamn eye of Sauron down there. Insanely bright.

It's not too far. It's in Arizona Mills, a quick check showed it to be about 11 miles from downtown Phoenix near the sports arenas. I didn't see any exclusive items. I guess since they just opened they were real stocked. Saw some items I haven't seen at the regular Lego store out here in a while, Tower Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Ewok Village. The guy ringing me up said they weren't a regular Lego store & purchases didn't accumulate VIP points, but they did give 5% off.

Yeah, the sun out here doesn't play. It was 97 the other day. Lived here my whole life & still not used to the heat.

It's not even a terrible product it's just been mishandled the worst way possible by LEGO sticking a premium price tag on it and calling it UCS.

This is my problem with it. As it says in their own question, it's a good 'Battle Set'. It's nowhere near the quality, nor has the lure of a UCS set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom