• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or are the vast majority of the nubs on that MOC missing the Lego logo?

Look closely. Am I crazy or what?

This piece here?

With the magic of digital processing using some highly sophisticated algorithms you can see that white spot is actually the Chinese flag stars.

eeyRwJI.jpg

Seriously though, it's hard to tell because the depth of field is pretty strong in those photos which blurs the background (and possibly the LEGO logo). My LEGO bricks do have those white spots too where it's obviously one of the injection points. I'm too lazy to look for that actual piece to see if it's in the same spot. The difference is the white spots like that on low quality clones aren't as smooth and level as LEGO's in my experience.

It also says

No non-Lego components were used, except for a couple strings of LED lights (not shown -- still working on that).

I just got my order of bootleg military minifigs and the quality difference is obvious. One set of arms is so tight they don't move freely once on the body, and one is so loose a slight touch causes it to fall out.

I only wanted the minifigs and weapons but it came with a few other pieces like 1x2 textured bricks. I think I'm going to be careful not to mix them with my real LEGO.

Where did you get that quote? Is that from the builder on eurobricks forum?

When you're making something that big, I think it's perfectly fine to save money on some bootleg pieces. It could be the difference between a few thousand dollars, and if i was saving that much money I think I could justify my build not being pure lol.

When you're making something that big, I think it's perfectly fine to save money on some bootleg pieces. It could be the difference between a few thousand dollars, and if i was saving that much money I think I could justify my build not being pure lol.

It also makes the difference of falling apart or not. Or throwing the darn thing into the wall from frustration of things not lining up. :) There may be a few exceptions as I hear there are 1 or 2 clone makers that the quality is very close to LEGO quality, but the pricing obviously goes up from the cheapo clones.

With the magic of digital processing using some highly sophisticated algorithms you can see that white spot is actually the Chinese flag stars.
LOL

Seriously though, it's hard to tell because the depth of field is pretty strong in those photos which blurs the background (and possibly the LEGO logo). My LEGO bricks do have those white spots too where it's obviously one of the injection points.
Ya, a GIS of 2x4 angled plates shows lots of pics where the injection point would match the stud where that white piece is. Of course most of those pics seem to be from ebay so doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Where did you get that quote? Is that from the builder on eurobricks forum?

Pretty sure it's in one of the caption things in the imgur album.
Yup, first text part of the builder's imgur album. http://imgur.com/gallery/snxk3

I forgot there was actually a Caveman Batman. Will need Gunslinger Batman, Gladiator Batman, and a bunch of other variations as well.

Well I didn't know there was ANOTHER Caveman Batman other than the one I was referring to LOL which was actually the one i saw in Cosmic Clash (the movie with the Pirate Batman figure)

This just made 10k votes. Will be interesting to see if this set gets made. I'd get it, but I also wouldn't miss it if it didn't get made. I recognize the builder as an "Iron Builder".
Any younger folks here that actually know what movie that robot is from? I figure anyone under 30 wouldn't.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/115817

This on the other hand, I will miss.
Less than 3 weeks and already has 8187 supporters. I REALLY, REALLY want that Voltron to get made. Fingers crossed LEGO approves it and there are no licensing issues.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/138271

This just made 10k votes. Will be interesting to see if this set gets made. I'd get it, but I also wouldn't miss it if it didn't get made. I recognize the builder as an "Iron Builder".
Any younger folks here that actually know what movie that robot is from? I figure anyone under 30 wouldn't.

This is probably going to suffer in review simply by being so close to Wall-E.

R-User!

That ISD MOC is insane.

If Voltron gets approved it'll be a day one for me!

Interesting deals for May the 4th. Too bad the promo is for just another "exclusive" Stormtrooper.

And that Porsche looks like a premium product; dat box!

flash0222

Neo Member
I hope to God that if Voltron doesn't get approved that the designer releases his files for it, I'd bricklink the parts in no time.

Day 1 purchase if they do make it into a set

I know that Portal was in the LEGO Dimensions game and has some of those smaller little sets for it...

But is there still a LEGO Idea set coming for it someday? I hadn't thought about it in a while and unless I totally missed it I don't think a full set has come out yet for it.

Oooh, Supergirl Dimensions pack. Interesting that the hair piece may be different from the Brainiac Attack set.

71340-1: Supergirl
http://brickset.com/article/20936

I think that's a fairly common hair piece (not sure in that color though) so I should be good with my existing Supergirl. I hope.

---

On a completely different note, thinking of Mickey Mouse and this Supergirl news made me think we need Mighty Mouse!

HUGE thank you to Oneknightr for this. He was kind enough to grab two PAB cups for me in exchange for a Raptor Escape.

The contents of his packing:
428 1x4 SNOT
477 1x1 SNOT
140 1x1 trans red round tiles
70 grey antennae
8 2x4 light blue bricks

To top it off, he was such an awesome and kind gentleman as to toss in two smaller polybag sets into the box. Class act, man! Thank you so much for raiding the PAB wall for me and the kind note.

Koren

Seems a really good result for two cups. Curious to know what you intend to do with so many snot bricks...

Why the 8 2x4 bricks, too?

wetwired

Oooh, Supergirl Dimensions pack. Interesting that the hair piece may be different from the Brainiac Attack set.

71340-1: Supergirl
http://brickset.com/article/20936

I think that's a fairly common hair piece (not sure in that color though) so I should be good with my existing Supergirl. I hope.

---

On a completely different note, thinking of Mickey Mouse and this Supergirl news made me think we need Mighty Mouse!

What's the consensus so far on Dimensions?

I have it but I haven't played it since about Feb, I got Doc Brown and Stay Puft last month (Thanks BentBricks) But I haven't actually played any of them. They're just sitting built in my collection

Ponn

Banned
What's the consensus so far on Dimensions?

I have it but I haven't played it since about Feb, I got Doc Brown and Stay Puft last month (Thanks BentBricks) But I haven't actually played any of them. They're just sitting built in my collection

I was totally into it for a couple weeks but it really is a quick, expensive but fun burn. I really have not had any desire to go back and play it, even for the newer level packs. In the end the pricing really doesn't justify the gaming you get out of it and if you are a lego collector neither does most of the figs that you probably already have.

Ugh, a brick bank and a Tower Bridge popped up on AWD. I'm back to debating on Tower Bridge because of the upcoming Big Ben set but its just a shit load of money to be spending when i've been sitting here selling some of my current backlog.

Ya I have a ton of those and Mixel eyes that I have no idea what to do with.

Actually I don't know what I'll do with the SNOT either but it's nice to never have to think twice about using one.

HUGE thank you to Oneknightr for this. He was kind enough to grab two PAB cups for me in exchange for a Raptor Escape.

428 1x4 SNOT
477 1x1 SNOT
70 grey antennae
8 2x4 light blue bricks

To top it off, he was such an awesome and kind gentleman as to toss in two smaller polybag sets into the box. Class act, man! Thank you so much for raiding the PAB wall for me and the kind note.

You're welcome Phon. My daughter and I had a great time trying to squeeze as many snot pieces in there as we could! It took us 40 fun-filled minutes to build those 1x4 snot creations and fill those cups as effective as we could. Thanks for the raptor set!

FYI to everyone, the round tiles and antenna were used to fill the channels at the bottom of the cups. I hope you can find a use for them Phon! :)

Planning to drive to the LEGO store this Saturday morning to finally snap and buy the Sandcrawler. Funny enough, my wife was the one suggesting to go to Opry Mills since we both have the day off. But it is my plan to be there at open. Hopefully the Sandcrawler isn't gone by then. I plan to ransack the PAB wall myself then to load up on more SNOT. I will have more than I know what to do with, but that is a good problem. Hoping for some other good stuff there.

EDIT: And I want SNOT for a modular MOC. I don't know what I will make yet, but I want to make one. Most of my other 1x4 SNOT is still tied up in my airship.

You mean another modular MOC. You've made a few now haven't you?

Had. I tore them all down over time. I never had more than one done at a time. I have toyed with tearing down just about everything and going VERY big scale on a modular theater. Like, I can slide my 15" laptop in to be the screen big, with smaller theaters on the side with tablets as screens.

I did the BrickMAX theater years ago, but that was built using whatever I had left, so I was limited. Now, my arsenal is much larger, and I have more experience under my belt. I feel I can do a lot better with a theater.

The last modular style MOC I made was in 2014 when I made the bookstore. That is the MOC I am second most proud of. My favorite child right now is my airship, just because I actually put power functions into it and I had never done something like that before.

The last modular style MOC I made was in 2014 when I made the bookstore. That is the MOC I am second most proud of. My favorite child right now is my airship, just because I actually put power functions into it and I had never done something like that before.

Have you broken it down yet? Those engines were terrific.

Fowler

Anyway, just back from Civil War. Now I'm wondering what's in the set they keep under wraps, as I can't think of something overly spoilery that would translate well in Lego. Unless it's Spider-man, but he's hardly a secret.

And he's actually only in the airport battle, apart from a scene at his home. So unless they do an extra Airpor Vignette with him, or a Spider-man in his bedroom talking to Tony Stark-build there's not much there.

I reckon it's Spidey, but there is one other character it COULD be...

Zemo? He was conspicuously absent from all trailers and promotion. Could see a "FINAL BATTLE" set with Zemo, Cap, Iron Man and maybe Bucky in the Winter Soldier chamber.

Still, I do think it's more likely to be another airport set with Spider-Man, maybe a little interior vignette? Metal detector + bag scanner + Spider-Man/Bucky/Falcon?

wetwired

so I offhandedly mentioned I might throw out my old boxes I've kept in storage as I can't see them being of any use. Mainly my modular boxes. Looking into it the box for Cafe Corner goes for nearly AUD$500 on Bricklink and the Green Grocer is over $100! insanity!

teeny

428 1x4 SNOT
477 1x1 SNOT
70 grey antennae
8 2x4 light blue bricks

That's impressive, I got my first PAB cup the other week and only managed to get 40 of those 1x4 SNOT bricks!

What I'm really after, though, are tiles. Can't have enough :|

Koren

What I'm really after, though, are tiles. Can't have enough :|
Especially when you want to do mosaic work. My last one took 400, working on the next one now.

But the problem is that there's a limited choice in colors in the wall. I've only found tan, yellow and orange 2x2 there IIRC.

teeny

Especially when you want to do mosaic work. My last one took 400, working on the next one now.

But the problem is that there's a limited choice in colors in the wall. I've only found tan, yellow and orange 2x2 there IIRC.

I haven't found any yet the last couple of times I've been able to visit a Lego store. I've resorted to Brick Link to get the stuff needed for my roads and first proper MOC, though it's much more expensive.

It's pretty thrilling when you do find what you need, though and in the right colour.

so I offhandedly mentioned I might throw out my old boxes I've kept in storage as I can't see them being of any use. Mainly my modular boxes. Looking into it the box for Cafe Corner goes for nearly AUD$500 on Bricklink and the Green Grocer is over $100! insanity!

If you Bricklinked a Green Grocer and wanted to resell it, being able to advertise it as "boxed" would probably add way more than $100 to your final sale price, so I can see why people might want to buy that.

Not sure a Café Corner box would add $500 though, so maybe people are just mad.

Koren

I'd say that with "bixed" people expect the manual, so more than 100...

I haven't found any yet the last couple of times I've been able to visit a Lego store. I've resorted to Brick Link to get the stuff needed for my roads and first proper MOC, though it's much more expensive.
You won't avoid bricklink anyway. But there's more excitement in finding some pieces on the wall, indeed.

teeny

The Falcon went down to £93 earlier, Flubit at £83. Felt stupid buying for £89 yesterday now, haha. Still a decent price for it though, really.

Yeah, that's not a bad price at all! Kind of umming and ahhing over the resistance troop transport, the final duel and tydirium as well.

Edit: Welp, Falcon at 115.88 now. Missed my chance :D

*Bump*

Another 1000 supporters in a day. I'm excited, but hardest part will be passing review. When is the final day for this wave of projects to make next review?

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/138271

EDIT: Looking closely at the smaller lion legs, I'm not sure if that would pass LEGO standards. Not sure if those hinge plates would hold up the lions for posing or playing. Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT 2: 6 hours later and it has 200+ more supports. Looks like it will hit 10k before the weekend is over, maybe even by tomorrow.

Ponn

Banned
Do we know at all if those extra discounts at Lego shop will end on May 4th too or will they last through the weekend? It sucks I don't get paid till friday next week and they are ending this sale on May 4th instead of the weekend. I would like to get that Scooby Lighthouse and Mummy set to round out my Scooby collection. I like the creepy factor on that lighthouse too.

Do we know at all if those extra discounts at Lego shop will end on May 4th too or will they last through the weekend? It sucks I don't get paid till friday next week and they are ending this sale on May 4th instead of the weekend. I would like to get that Scooby Lighthouse and Mummy set to round out my Scooby collection. I like the creepy factor on that lighthouse too.

nzJ41M8.jpg

Something to whet your appetite, good sir?

It is still on display in my place... To me it's probably the best Lighthouse set Lego has put out... The old Creator one looks too simple in comparison, the Friends one is nice but only the Scooby one actually oozes atmosphere and elegance and doesn't just look "functional" if that makes any sense at all.

edit: I have seen pics of the upcoming one and... i don't think it's gonna dethrone the Scooby one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom