• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rootbeer

Banned
New sets were at TRU! Not SW of course, but all the city/creator

Hard to pass on that brick built bear but I'll get it later

Got the new fun in the park set though! And my 20% off coupon worked on it. Good thing too cause that tiny thing is $40!!! And I do mean tiny.

TRU is also giving away set 5003085 (has two ninjago minifigs, TRU exclusive) with any $30+ LEGO purchase starting today.

Ponn

Banned
New sets were at TRU! Not SW of course, but all the city/creator

Hard to pass on that brick built bear but I'll get it later

Got the new fun in the park set though! And my 20% off coupon worked on it. Good thing too cause that tiny thing is $40!!! And I do mean tiny.

TRU is also giving away set 5003085 (has two ninjago minifigs, TRU exclusive) with any $30+ LEGO purchase starting today.

Is this in US or EU? also how do I get a 20% off coupon if this is US? All these things interest me for my trip there on Tuesday.

Also goddammnit AWD!! I got my Tower Bridge from them it was listed as VG for $198. It came repackaged without the original box. They need to pay attention to their own rules, a VG rated item should not come without the damn box, that is Acceptable not VG. I chatted with them and they will only offer me a return for refund. Should I keep it? I know this would kill resell value but on the other hand I don't really need another box falling out of my closet and hitting me every time I open it.

TheFuzz

New sets and my TRU as well, City and Creator. Only one Park set. They didn't have any Camper sets either.

Ponn, the coupons are sent through snail mail for Rewards members. There is a $5 off $30 Lego coupon good until next weekend you can get off the website, though.

Rootbeer

Banned
Yes, I'm in the USA. It's the 20% off coupon that came stickered to the mail flier for May. There is also a $5 off LEGO coupon in there. But I could not use both on this purchase according to the cashier. I didn't mind, I'll be back looking for Star Wars sets before it expires.

And yeah the camper set is wonderful!

LEGO has been sending out these 20% off coupons almost every month lately. Hope the trend continues.

Rootbeer

Banned
0rIv72I.png

XzHyUK1.png

Ship looks great. Ahsoka is hard to see but from what I can make out, looks good.

The bad... not much going on in terms of new minifigures in this set aside from ahsoka and that captain, which isn't much.

Reminds me of that set with Sabine's helmet in that way.

One can never have too many grey parts. That's one positive about Star Wars sets. If the aftermarket price for the minifigs is too high and I only really care about the minifigs, I just buy the set on sale.

Ya, will pick up both rebel frigate and camper sets once they're on awd or other decent sale.

If those sand blue window panes are on B&P I'm grabbing a bunch of those too.

ghostmind

0rIv72I.png

XzHyUK1.png

Ship looks great. Ahsoka is hard to see but from what I can make out, looks good.

The bad... not much going on in terms of new minifigures in this set aside from ahsoka and that captain, which isn't much.

Thanks Zulithe!

So it is the Pelta-class, even though they don't label it "Phoenix Home", with Commander Sato as well.

No complaints here, other than I'm still hoping we get the Seventh Sister somehow.

mrkgoo

Spidey civil war set REVEALED

JWIgoUF.jpg

tp9sBmp.png

Source is... well, you already know the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFqSsB6FICo

MCU Spidey (with arm printing and red boot legs!)
Cap!
VISION!!!!
Arrow guy!

Supposedly this is a retailer exclusive too

I think this set looks cool. I like trucks and planes though, and generally don't like the little elements and set pieces.

I don't have any of the minifigures except cap and then only unmasked so I guess it's like a set made for me nearly.

In other news, picked up some Disney mini figures at random to give away as gifts and had a feel after the fact. Buzzes, genies, Alices, Ariels, ... No mickey, mini, Donald or maleficent. It was a pre felt up box too.

Heads up for UK guys apparently Toys R Us are giving away the Spider-Man v venom symbiote polybag with a £15 purchase of marvel Lego.

Just hope this is on on the 1st June so I can pick up ghostrider with it. Just want the polybag for the venom heads mind you

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
So I found someone on ebay selling over 1kg of loose lego that had 'some' Batman spares - specifically from Arkham 10937. It turns out it had 99% of Arkham in there! (minus figures)

It's been a total joy building this one. It really is one of the best sets. And having just built the 60s Batcave - which was a total disappointment - reminded me why I love LEGO. I've already done the modified build for both my original Arkham and the new one to create an immense four-sided Arkham, and will work out what's the best way to make it fit better, either hinges or a mirrored build.

Crappy phone pic doesn't do it justice but sharing anyway:

dtMRTda.jpg

TheFuzz

So I found someone on ebay selling over 1kg of loose lego that had 'some' Batman spares - specifically from Arkham 10937. It turns out it had 99% of Arkham in there! (minus figures)

It's been a total joy building this one. It really is one of the best sets. And having just built the 60s Batcave - which was a total disappointment - reminded me why I love LEGO. I've already done the modified build for both my original Arkham and the new one to create an immense four-sided Arkham, and will work out what's the best way to make it fit better, either hinges or a mirrored build.

Crappy phone pic doesn't do it justice but sharing anyway:

dtMRTda.jpg

It truly is one of the best sets Lego has ever made IMO. Fantastic architecture, design, and the vehicle is fantastic.

Shameless plug again: I heavily modded mine into a modular and it's my pride and joy.
SwLLgL2.jpg

mrkgoo

I just built Lego creator set 31046, fast car.

I assume it's US$20, but it's fantastic. Tons of great parts (hinges, curved slopes, SNOT brackets) the main model has lots of play features (opening doors, bonnet and a roof to convertible mechanism), and pretty sleek design.

I think it would make a fantastic MOC-contest set.

It's a bit difficult to see from the pics, but is Ahsoka using two blue lightsabers? Thought her lightsabers in SW:Rebel were dual white; and in Clone Wars, it was dual green.

wetwired

I'm getting tempted to sell my complete set of Olympics Team GB Minifigures. At the time they were a novelty and the completionist in me wanted them. Now with the soccer ones and all the various spin offs (Disney, Simpsons) plus the fact I'm running out of wall space for them in an Ikea frame I'm tempted to sell them off. They go for anything from AUD$250 to $500 on bricklink atm.

Wow!! Lego customer service does it again!

So I've mentioned that my Disney CMF Genie had no hair and Maleficent didn't have her cape. I decided to email customer service to see if there was any possible way to get replacements. I told them I knew that things like that are usually tricky for minifigs especially when they're licensed but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

They responded saying that ufortunately they get the CMF direct from the factory so they're already in bags, and they had no way of getting me just those particular missing parts.

But!

They sent me two replacement Disney CMFs free of charge! They said they didn't know which one they'd be but I thought the gesture was extremely nice and way more than I was expecting. (Thought they'd just say "unfortunately we don't have access to those parts") they sent a Syndrome and Aladdin but I stopped by the local Lego Store and they had like 20 Disney CMF left, so I was able to trade them for the ones I actually needed.

Oh my god I just realized I got so caught up looking for a Donald for my dad and a set of Mickey & Minnie for my parents I forgot the look for a replacement Maleficent arghhhh

But anyway way to go Lego Customer Service! I wish more customers would have taken us seriously when we refer them to Lego CS for missing piece issues or anything similar, their customer service is top notch.

Was also able to get an extra Pizza Planet Alien and they had the last set of CMF out so I was able to get my missing Knight to complete the set! Woo!

Local webshop claims to get the June sets today, so I made an order. Ultimate Flama, Ghost Rider, Fun in the Park and the Belle castle. Can't wait.

Also, it seems that the football CMF were available on S@H on Saturday. I had them in my cart but didn't have time to get something else to reach free shipping. They were sold out on Sunday.

I'm getting tempted to sell my complete set of Olympics Team GB Minifigures. At the time they were a novelty and the completionist in me wanted them. Now with the soccer ones and all the various spin offs (Disney, Simpsons) plus the fact I'm running out of wall space for them in an Ikea frame I'm tempted to sell them off. They go for anything from AUD$250 to $500 on bricklink atm.

Do it! I'd like to keep them, but knowing that my minifig collection will continue to grow I'm more apt to sell my Team GB minfigs. I'll definitely sell any duplicates I have for the going prices. As cool as those minifig are, I don't really have an attachment to them as I'm from U.S.

I don't even remember if I have them all. Luckily my sister happened to be visiting UK when they were released so she got me a bunch. They weren't too pricey on Bricklink when I checked a long time ago, but now that supply has shrunk I'm shocked at some of the going prices. Boxing guy goes for $27 used and $46 new.

ghostmind

Do it! I'd like to keep them, but knowing that my minifig collection will continue to grow I'm more apt to sell my Team GB minfigs. I'll definitely sell any duplicates I have for the going prices. As cool as those minifig are, I don't really have an attachment to them as I'm from U.S.

I don't even remember if I have them all. Luckily my sister happened to be visiting UK when they were released so she got me a bunch. They weren't too pricey on Bricklink when I checked a long time ago, but now that supply has shrunk I'm shocked at some of the going prices. Boxing guy goes for $27 used and $46 new.

I think that I'll be selling mine soon as well - have the whole set sealed new, so they should take a big chunk out of my September 30th Rogue One haul cost.

That's nice. I enjoyed D&D cartoon during its run. Too bad it didn't last long.

I just got bitten BAD by the Lego Technic bug, and order 4 sets of Technics. Now, I gotta think of how to tell me wife. Oh, on to more important things....anyone has any experience in putting in motors into their Technics? What motor to use and such? Or where to get resources on this? I'm currently looking at MOC pages...but dang, there's just so much to read!

wetwired

I finally picked up the dimensions Slimer pack today. I was disappointed to see how ugly it is. I was no fan of the mold as it doesn't really capture his film likeness but the colour is disgusting. It's a darker transparent green versus the light green I the firehouse. The box gives no indication that it's different to the firehouse.

And here it is - JANG reviews 31052 Vacation Getaways:

https://youtu.be/pi8XCJ0KLKQ

The hype is real.
Just watched the video. Hype set to 11.

EDIT: Just finished Treehouse Adventures. That was fantastic. Some cool SNOT work for the trees, and some hidden play features to boot. I also love the use of the small ball joints to do the foliage and put it at different angles.

I will post some pics later, but this is highly recommended. Such a fun build.

Ponn

Banned
I decided to return the Tower Bridge to Amazon. The no box thing just really irked me. If it was a smaller set I might have kept it but for a set like this I feel like the box is important for the value of the set. What pisses me off though is I finally got off the fence on this damn set and now i'm right back to square one. This set continues to confound and haunt me.

Grabbed 2 First Order Transports and a few airjitzu flyers marked half off at Walmart today. The Walmart app reflects current clearance pricing now (though stock levels are off) if you want to check your area.

Is this in US or EU? also how do I get a 20% off coupon if this is US? All these things interest me for my trip there on Tuesday.

Also goddammnit AWD!! I got my Tower Bridge from them it was listed as VG for $198. It came repackaged without the original box. They need to pay attention to their own rules, a VG rated item should not come without the damn box, that is Acceptable not VG. I chatted with them and they will only offer me a return for refund. Should I keep it? I know this would kill resell value but on the other hand I don't really need another box falling out of my closet and hitting me every time I open it.
If the bags were unopened I probably would keep it but that's a tough set to buy damaged since it's so huge (and no numbered bags right?).

I got a VG set that had the box but the insides were rebagged. It was a small set though, so I just built it right away to make sure everything was there.

VG can mean no box:

Very good
If an item has cosmetic damage or blemishes, shows slight signs of use, has minor accessories missing, or the packaging has been replaced to better protect the item, we will assign the condition of "very good."

Rootbeer

Banned
It's a bit difficult to see from the pics, but is Ahsoka using two blue lightsabers? Thought her lightsabers in SW:Rebel were dual white; and in Clone Wars, it was dual green.
Her blades are uncolored but they sometimes appear a faint blue, not sure exactly why, rather it is just a perception thing or what.

Some action figures of her Rebels look also depict her blades as a faint blue, so I think it's intentional.

I think the blue in her blades is too saturated in this new version, it should be very pale. Could be due to a LEGO limitation in the supply chain, or maybe just a mistake in the marketing (not 100% final colors?)

If you look at the blade of Ezra's saber in that pic, that is much closer to the color hers should be. Though even lighter would be better.

In the picture of the Box Cover, her saber does look nearly white (compare it to Ezra's also on the cover), so... maybe she does come with the right colors afterall. Yet to see for sure.

I was reading the April Scientific American about how the moon landing space suits are degrading because of the plastics. Article went on to talk about how plastics in museums often ruin other nearby artifacts because of the acidic gases released. Just as I started thinking about Lego, they went on to list Lego among other examples of 20th century artifacts that are of concern.

Dyes and other proprietary additives cause plastic to degrade differently and since the formulas are secret there's no good information on how to preserve different types of plastics. I wonder how we'll see different eras of Lego bricks degrade over time.

I was reading the April Scientific American about how the moon landing space suits are degrading because of the plastics. Article went on to talk about how plastics in museums often ruin other nearby artifacts because of the acidic gases released. Just as I started thinking about Lego, they went on to list Lego among other examples of 20th century artifacts that are of concern.

Dyes and other proprietary additives cause plastic to degrade differently and since the formulas are secret there's no good information on how to preserve different types of plastics. I wonder how we'll see different eras of Lego bricks degrade over time.

I have LEGO that is around 40 years old (my childhood collection). I have no way to measure the degradation though. Also, I assume the acidic gases are a bigger concern in museums since they usually are enclosed in a fairly sealed environment. I'm sure volume of a person's collection matters too. What I have now may melt my house over time.

Nitemare1

I've got a little toolbox full of lego from my childhood. its at least 30 years old I would guess. Ive not integrated into my modern collection because honestly its needs a good cleaning and I havent gotten around to it. But honestly it looks fine. I should try and match up its clutch power to some modern pieces and see how it does.

I understand that they do it for play feature purposes but it drives me fucking crazy that Lego mechs only ever have one hand and the other is a gun/sword/shield/net/snake/clamp/flute.

Like make the gun part of the forearm armor or something, the shield detachable so they can throw it or surf on it or something, look at some anime and see how they do it. I hate these one-handed asymmetrical robots.

I have LEGO that is around 40 years old (my childhood collection). I have no way to measure the degradation though. Also, I assume the acidic gases are a bigger concern in museums since they usually are enclosed in a fairly sealed environment. I'm sure volume of a person's collection matters too. What I have now may melt my house over time.
Ya, for sure museums are death traps, but modern homes have plastics in paint and carpets, besides the massive Lego backlogs some LEGO-GAF members are sitting on.

I wonder if older Lego will do better than the stuff they're pumping out today, after decades.

I've had stickers degrade after a few years so I no longer apply them. Will break my heart if actual bricks start to get sticky from lubricant additives moving to the surface. Now I know why my backpacks get sticky after a few years.

mrkgoo

Wow!! Lego customer service does it again!

So I've mentioned that my Disney CMF Genie had no hair and Maleficent didn't have her cape. I decided to email customer service to see if there was any possible way to get replacements. I told them I knew that things like that are usually tricky for minifigs especially when they're licensed but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

They responded saying that ufortunately they get the CMF direct from the factory so they're already in bags, and they had no way of getting me just those particular missing parts.

But!

They sent me two replacement Disney CMFs free of charge! They said they didn't know which one they'd be but I thought the gesture was extremely nice and way more than I was expecting. (Thought they'd just say "unfortunately we don't have access to those parts") they sent a Syndrome and Aladdin but I stopped by the local Lego Store and they had like 20 Disney CMF left, so I was able to trade them for the ones I actually needed.

Oh my god I just realized I got so caught up looking for a Donald for my dad and a set of Mickey & Minnie for my parents I forgot the look for a replacement Maleficent arghhhh

But anyway way to go Lego Customer Service! I wish more customers would have taken us seriously when we refer them to Lego CS for missing piece issues or anything similar, their customer service is top notch.

Was also able to get an extra Pizza Planet Alien and they had the last set of CMF out so I was able to get my missing Knight to complete the set! Woo!

Yeah their CS is excellent. I called them up for the Wall-E replacement parts pack, and they just took email, address and sent me one. Arrived in NZ in a week or two. They didn't even ask for any proof.

I guess that's what you get when you have a premium product - they can afford to do you right without worrying too much and just create a good experience.

I got caught at bottom of last page, but just wanted to reiterate how cool Creator Fast Car 31046 is. has tons of great parts and will make an excellent MOC set, perhaps for a later contest.

Grabbed 2 First Order Transports and a few airjitzu flyers marked half off at Walmart today. The Walmart app reflects current clearance pricing now (though stock levels are off) if you want to check your area.

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately it's only 15% off in Los Angeles area.

Jacob_9821 strikes again, with pictures of 70326 The Black Knight Mech:

lLfVLst.png

Does not look as good as in the cartoon. I'm a bit disappointed. Not too bad though. I'll probably mod it to be more like the King's mech. Voltronish sword and the shield look pretty cool.

Oh man, through think King's Mech looks like a bit nicer build still.

Agreed.

Robin is secretly the BLack Knight?

Spoilers! Though nobody except me seems to watch it.

I understand that they do it for play feature purposes but it drives me fucking crazy that Lego mechs only ever have one hand and the other is a gun/sword/shield/net/snake/clamp/flute.

Like make the gun part of the forearm armor or something, the shield detachable so they can throw it or surf on it or something, look at some anime and see how they do it. I hate these one-handed asymmetrical robots.

Dude, just mod it.

Will break my heart if actual bricks start to get sticky from lubricant additives moving to the surface. Now I know why my backpacks get sticky after a few years.

Uh huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom