• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dat Big Ben!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw those pictures. Anyone want to take an educated guess on pricing? I'm thinking it'll be at a minimum $350. Most likely $400. I wonder if they'll keep producing Tower Bridge since it just seems logical to have both on the shelf at the same time even though TB has been out forever. That set is going to be the new Death Star in terms of years in production.

Jimbro72

Big Ben looks amazing. Build appears to be a bit repetitive but the finished model will more than make up for that. Definitely on the must buy list.

Osahi

Wow, looks incredible. The missus is not impressed though, so won't make it into our living room (will be way over my spending budget too I imagine)

So this is kind of scary... This lego city set has 515 pieces, looks nice, has some great play features.... but is priced at 90$. Generally that would be acceptable if there was like 10 minifgures and a bunch of huge specialized molds like the airplane sets but there's nothing like that here. Its just a regular city set that has a value of $50, that is priced nearly double that. $90. What? This combined with a large amount of licensed sets being priced $20 - $40 more than they should be (uugh that minecraft village set) is making me very worried about the future of lego. Are they just completely disregarding the 10 cents per piece value now? Lego was already expensive as it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0JRBn-0lCM

ghostmind

41134 Heartlake Performance School:

taRXLue.jpg

yFa6UCM.jpg

A shop nearby has reduced series 15 minifigures to 85p, and it seemed like a fun idea to try and find the tribal woman just by random purchases.

Time passes.

I currently own a lot of series 15 minifigures, and this is not quite as fun as it was at the start now. I don't want to admit defeat though =(

VICTORY!

(If you can call it that.)

Ended up bag-feeling in the end, not so much for the tribal woman but to at least rule out the bags that she definitely wasn't in.

--

That Big Ben looks so good. Not sure how fun it looks to build but yeah, as someone who's looking to MOC a Modular in the future that could be a really useful set to have around.

R-User!

Wow! Gold flowers crowning the top of Big Ben!

It looks amazing!

Edit: doing approximate estimating, it looks like Ben will be about 96 studs tall give or take studs of course.

If it were 96, it would be 30" tall; which would be surpassing Orthanc!

Looks like it not be LEGO's tallest set yet!

I love the look of it!

Big Ben is one of the most beautifully detailed sets I've seen.

And I am trying to figure out how they pulled off the grill style pattern on the main tower. I am thinking plates with the small slider extension like they usually top off modular floors with, but set on their side.
Ya, looks like this piece

BJya6Qu.jpg

R-User!

Big Ben is an OCD'ers dream; or nightmare... Making everything look "perfectly lined up" looks like it will be a process and a half.

But the incredible designs deserve that level of attention!

Ponn

Banned
So this is kind of scary... This lego city set has 515 pieces, looks nice, has some great play features.... but is priced at 90$. Generally that would be acceptable if there was like 10 minifgures and a bunch of huge specialized molds like the airplane sets but there's nothing like that here. Its just a regular city set that has a value of $50, that is priced nearly double that. $90. What? This combined with a large amount of licensed sets being priced $20 - $40 more than they should be (uugh that minecraft village set) is making me very worried about the future of lego. Are they just completely disregarding the 10 cents per piece value now? Lego was already expensive as it is...

This has been a thing with City sets last year or two. Like the Spaceport sets their price to piece ratio has been atrocious and there is no good reason at all. Even if you wanted to say just simple greed then why not do the same for their other lines like Ninjago or Nexo Knights. It's just really baffling what happened to their City prices.

You may have to wait
358/2 days
for that.

I will just have to wait till they give birth by sleep then.

Oh wait a minute, so if Big Ben is July 1st will this be the VIP early access mid june then?

taRXLue.jpg

yFa6UCM.jpg

Great parts pack or greatest parts pack? Tons of tan, at least 12 of the curly pillar bricks, two of the arched windows and _44_ freaking windows!

Two new (?) characters too. Don't care at all for them but looks like interesting hairpieces.

Big Ben looks amazing, but I'd probably hate building it except for the clock mechanism.

The Architecture White House is my current least favorite set to build because of all the repetition it had.

LEGO Junior sets are 20% off at Toys R Us this week, so I picked up the new set with Superman, Batman and Power Armor Luthor. Also, that Civil War Cap in the plastic bag.

Rootbeer

Banned
LEGO Junior sets are 20% off at Toys R Us this week, so I picked up the new set with Superman, Batman and Power Armor Luthor. Also, that Civil War Cap in the plastic bag.

Yeah saw that, for a moment I was tempted to grab the Green Goblin set, but I'm already dead set on buying the upcoming Spidey Bridge set so I held off.

Was at TRU today, they are getting a truck tomorrow... wonder if tomorrow will be my first Summer SW sighting... here is hoping.

Is the Cap polybag promo across all stores? I haven't picked up any micros but at 20% off with promo, I may have to bite.

The Minecraft Village is now available for VIP in Europe. They also got a restock of the football players, so I grabbed a bunch. What an excellent way to build demand :D.

Also got a few random parts off B&P, including Maria Hill's torso and Spider-Man's two-colour legs. I really don't understand how the selection here works.

That one was regular price, sorry for the confusion. $3.99 for Cap wasn't too bad I thought; I tend to pick up the bag LEGO stuff when I see a new one.

Sorry, I assumed you were referring to the free Cap polybag promo with a $30 Lego purchase at TRU. Does anyone know if that promo is still going on?

NysGAF

Missed GAF connection. I saw you at Target this morning with your wife, squeezing all the Disney LEGO minifig bags. Was tempted to say hi, but didn't have the nerve.

Stopped by LEGO store at Downtown Disney to get more Disney CMFs. Worker there put out a new box and it was like he was bringing out raw steak with a bunch of starving dogs. Most were polite, but there was two women that were pretty rude and just pounced on the box and grabbed everything they could. People would grab at my stuff on top of the displays without even asking if there were anybody's. Bunch of animals. Manager had held back new boxes and kept behind counter until those women left. She told them limit was 18 per household after women wanted to get more than 18 each since they had kids with them.

Man, LEGO is putting a LOT of Massive UCS type sets out. They make the Modular sets look small when compared.

LEGO Big Ben images... being shared on Twitter by a journalist, and seemingly RT'd by LEGO PR so presumably shared intentionally.

Ciu3UpXWsAAiDME.jpg

More here: https://twitter.com/CameronKMcEwan

4,163 pieces, out July 1st it seems?

And speaking of massive sets that is wondrous! Almost makes me want to get Sydney Opera house and start collecting these massive landmark sets. Now would seem to be the right time. We all know LEGO will redo the Eiffel Tower in the next decade or two, right?

Dat Big Ben!! My jaw literally dropped when I saw those pictures. Anyone want to take an educated guess on pricing? I'm thinking it'll be at a minimum $350. Most likely $400. I wonder if they'll keep producing Tower Bridge since it just seems logical to have both on the shelf at the same time even though TB has been out forever. That set is going to be the new Death Star in terms of years in production.

I'm hoping $350. There are a LOT of small repetitive pieces which I hope brings the price down. Based on usual rule of thumb by piece count, $400+.

Sandcrawler is $300 with 3296 pieces and about 10 minifigs.

I reiterate that it is Octan license tax. Seriously though, I do wonder on the pricing fluctuations. It appears to be fluctuating a lot and rising steadily overall.
I can't figure out why that set is so expensive.

taRXLue.jpg

Dat bus is a winner. I'd mod it to make it shorter. ;) Too bad LEGO City theme doesn't believe in schools.
I dunno. The set looks like a previous set to me for some reason. Could be the typical Friends tan with some "girl" color highlight.

Yeah saw that, for a moment I was tempted to grab the Green Goblin set, but I'm already dead set on buying the upcoming Spidey Bridge set so I held off.

Was at TRU today, they are getting a truck tomorrow... wonder if tomorrow will be my first Summer SW sighting... here is hoping.

Did they get new shipment of Disney CMFs? Can't remember your whereabouts. Are you in Arizona, Northern Cali, ... ?

Not a bad set on sale, although everything Batman related looks more or less recycled from the Juniors Batcave set. Luthor's little battle tank looks pretty neat though. I should combine the Batmobile from this set with the Batmobile from the other Juniors set to make an 8-wheel Super-Batmobile or something.

EDIT: Here's a review that someone put on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSLvXlm_dyY

Ugh. I do want that Lex Luthor variant. I have the promo polybag version so if aftermarket is too high or set never drops 30% off or below I can live with missing it.

EDIT: Ooh, it's a $20 set. Not sure I can make TRU this week, but for $16 I'll get that set for the Luthor suit. I can live with 20% off a $20 set.

Deefuzz

It's $250

A part of me was hoping they might follow Tower Bridge pricing but as popular as Lego is now and current pricing I would need to see this before I believe it.

That would be a good comparison as Tower Bridge also has a LOT of small repeating pieces.

4287 pieces for $239.99 USD

$250 sounds very plausible now.

For $250 I will for sure pick up Big Ben just for parts.

That's what it says here:

http://en.brickimedia.org/wiki/10253_Big_Ben

Omg please be true. I will buy Day 1 (and then leave in my closet unopened for the next 5 years.)

When it will be worth $500 and you are not sure to sell or build it. Although Tower Bridge has been around for 6+ years and is still available. I guess when parts are easily available they can easily make more production runs.

This is what a new UCS Death Star should look like

From Flickr caption:

"Photo of the 3 models in real bricks. As you can see the Throne romm is huge, much than it looked on the previous pic from the 3D models and much more than on the Kenner photo of the prototype (see here theswca.com/images-conce/micro-rotj.html).
Total of parts used for the 3 models is 7842."

Full of play value as it's based on an old Kenner toy set.

If Big Ben is only $250, I might have to get 2 just for the parts.

As for the next Landmark set, I want some USA based sets. Like Brooklyn Bridge, or Chrysler Building.

EDIT: Speaking of parts pack...well figure parts pack.

drgRyqa.jpg

9h744wT.jpg

A LEGO version of Guess Who. I have never heard of this set until looking at Brickset. Will it hit the US?

24 figures, and some larger plates. That alone is worth $40. That is a steal.

Very common and plain torsos many of which I already have. Definitely a great value if a person doesn't have those type of minifigs.

For $40, 60134: Fun in the Park - City People Pack is a MUCH, MUCH higher value for minifigs.

As for parts, the canopy piece is only part that interests me. I'd like a bunch of those. Something tells me price on Bricklink won't be too high and/or it will be readily available on Bricks and Pieces eventually once that game goes on clearance.

Hold on...that's a game right? I guess LEGO dropped their LEGO games them/line, but is still willing to do a few one offs like that?

Some awesome mid-year sets coming out around now. Very excited to find them in the stores.

To take a big sting out of a large set. I have about $90 saved up so far, and want to keep building. But $90 off a set would still feel good.

I do the same thing. I generally get to $100-$150 then take a chunk out of a big set. After subsidizing a few smaller purchases to get multiples of the May 4 promo I'm down to $55. It'll probably go toward UCS Tie or Brick Bank now that I've finally finished the Detective's Office.

Luthor's little battle tank looks pretty neat though.

Do we know if this is the same Luthor from the polybag a few years ago? I don't think we've seen another "battle armored" Luthor fig since then.

Stopped by LEGO store at Downtown Disney to get more Disney CMFs.

My five year old is finally getting a real handle on reading. For the last couple of weeks she's known that her older sister (9) will be giving her a card very early in the morning this coming Friday. She knows that when we wake her up at 4am she needs to read the card and she is losing her mind with anticipation. "When do I get the card? What will it say?" etc. etc. Her sister is doing a great job of keeping quiet on the contents.

"We are going to Disney World right now"

Looking forward to getting back to Downtown Disney. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up the exclusive Sea Monster set they had there a few years ago. I only make it to Orlando once or twice a year so I'll settle for another location-specific LEGO magnet if that's the only exclusive.

How was the PAB wall? My local one in Toronto is consistently pretty weak.

As for parts, the canopy piece is only part that interests me. I'd like a bunch of those. Something tells me price on Bricklink won't be too high and/or it will be readily available on Bricks and Pieces eventually once that game goes on clearance.

If it is the same canopy piece in this Ultra Agents set, it is already on B&P for $.74.

Search part 6081301 or set 70167.

How was the PAB wall? My local one in Toronto is consistently pretty weak.

Tough to say because I've had easy access to PAB wall for many years and have accumulated a ton of PAB bricks so it takes some pretty new stuff to catch my interest.

The good thing is ever since LEGO Pick-A-Model came to PAB wall, we get a lot of very nice parts that usually don't make it to the PAB wall. So far, there's always been a few elements I wanted a lot of them.

The negative is rotation of parts in PAB is extremely slow now ever since PAM started. Also, sometimes PAM parts get cleared out and don't have any available for weeks at a time. I think it was the dark grey or light grey 1x4 brick that I only got a handful. It was always empty every time I visited. And I try to visit on delivery days too. Only thing that surprised me recently is Downtown Disney store had a bin full of LEGO small palm leaves.

Sadly the PAB wall tracking site doesn't get many updates anymore.
http://www.brickbuildr.com/index.php/all-stores/

If it is the same canopy piece in this Ultra Agents set, it is already on B&P for $.74.

Search part 6081301 or set 70167.

Thanks. I keep forgetting to add parts to my "Wanted List" in Bricklink. Trans light blue color is very limited in quantity here in the U.S. it seems, but it much cheaper on Bricklink. Less than $0.30 at one seller. I always compare Bricklink and B&P because the price differences can be very large.

Element number works on Bricklink searches which is great. It's not obvious because I don't see that element anywhere when viewing the part in Bricklink's catalog page.

I will wait as I think there will be a large influx of that element soon. Especially if that game set is using that many which means LEGO has produced a lot of them recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom