• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Someone made the comment about set looking bizarre without Houses of Parliament attached. Not being intimate with the building details to that extent it never occurred to me.

Looking at some photos of the real building, it seems one could buy 4-5 Big Ben sets and extend the building to include the Houses of Parliament.

If you display it against a wall, you could put a matte painting behind it to simulate the rest of the building like Lego did :)

Looking at it, obviously there is a parts limit consideration, but also they need to think how people will display it. Assuming most people will put it on a shelf and view from the front, the lack of anything behind isn't too bad. I would have preferred both of the towers by the river purely from an aesthetic point of view, but that would have made it quite deep - more than tower bridge.

Rootbeer

Banned
If it is allready 60 dollar in the US, that Lugabeast will probably be 75 to 80 euro's here in Belgium.

Pffffttt.
LEGO isn't messing around on the prices anymore. I know people can make arguments about how sets have actually GOTTEN CHEAPER over time, but honestly when you factor in that LEGO uses way more smaller pieces now than in years past, IMO they have gotten more expensive.

Osahi

LEGO isn't messing around on the prices anymore. I know people can make arguments about how sets have actually GOTTEN CHEAPER over time, but honestly when you factor in that LEGO uses way more smaller pieces now than in years past, IMO they have gotten more expensive.

Uhu, I don't mind paying some Star Wars tax, but since the TFA sets it has become ridiculous, especially over here where they ad another 5 to 10% compared to germany or france. I mean, battle on Takodana, which has 400ish pieces is 70 euros RRP over here. Shops go below it offcourse, but usually only after a while, and never really deep apart from holiday seasonal promotions.

Amazon.de to the win though, saves me usually at least 10 euro's on these kind of sets. That's the upside these days. You can shop around online in Europe withouth import taxes and often with free shipping.

Better look at MCU Spidey:

635992997086534057-76067-Top-04.jpg

The USA Today article also confirms that that set will be $29.99.

There will also be a character pack for Lego Avengers that includes MCU Spidey.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ca-civil-war-spider-man-merchandise/84639666/

Ponn

Banned
If it is allready 60 dollar in the US, that Lugabeast will probably be 75 to 80 euro's here in Belgium.

Pffffttt.

I actually was interested in that Luggabeast set when I saw it but I watched Brick Shows review and i'm disappointed. The price on these Star Wars sets is of course an issue but I also didn't like how they used a single special piece for all the legs on the beast. Its like hey you are already charging way over the normal price vs piece ratio, can't you throw in the extra pieces to make brick built legs so we could get in some more interesting poses?

Better look at MCU Spidey:

635992997086534057-76067-Top-04.jpg

The USA Today article also confirms that that set will be $29.99.

There will also be a character pack for Lego Avengers that includes MCU Spidey.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ca-civil-war-spider-man-merchandise/84639666/

I really really dig those eyes on the fig. Thats probably my favorite part of that new paint job though I appreciate the booties and arms. That price on the set if true is also changing my mind on that set rather quickly. I could use that tanker truck in a display really easily.

Ravek

Banned

They have. I can't see how people can justify LEGO set prices anymore. LEGO IS awesome. But they are simply taking advantage of the consumers now.

Edit: To clarify, I'm saying people can't justify that LEGO is cheap anymore.

They have. I can't see how people can justify LEGO set prices anymore. LEGO IS awesome. But they are simply taking advantage of the consumers now.

I thought £170 for Big Ben was an excellent price. Wall-E at £40 was a bargain as well.

I'm not really sure what kind of prices people were looking for for those sets, though? Like, how much do you suppose they would have been in 1990?

Ponn

Banned

In some instances I feel its licensing costs. Some just don't make any sense at all (City, Architecture). I think you can also look at the chinese bootlegs and get a rough idea of the actual parts costs by their prices. The bootleg version of Temple of Airjitsu averages $80 - $90 price (mind you thats without the box and packaging) and the parts pretty much spot on to the actual Lego set including unique pieces. Now of course you would have to add to the actual cost of the original set for R + D to develop the set, better quality parts, better factory conditions, etc etc. It actually comes pretty close when factoring in all those things. You see it better in the cheaper Lego sets that are bootlegged like the $12-15 sets that are still around $10 for the bootleg versions or that Jay's elemental Dragon that is $20 for the bootleg version and the real set's msrp is $30.

Ravek

Banned
I thought £170 for Big Ben was an excellent price. Wall-E at £40 was a bargain as well.

I'm not really sure what kind of prices people were looking for for those sets, though? Like, how much do you suppose they would have been in 1990?

I don't care what the prices would have been in 1990. It's 2016. The Minecraft village set is outrageously expensive. City sets in general are ridiculous, price wise. Yes, you could look at the Friends sets and say those are cheaper when you look at the price to piece ratio. However, that's a brand LEGO is still trying to build (even though it's successful). In two years the Friend's sets will be closer to City prices.

Yes, Big Ben has a great price point. It's also a lot of the same parts in the same color. TLG already makes big profit from every set sold, they don't need to jack up the prices.

You (generalized) could pick any one particular set and say it has good value for its pieces. But I can do the same as my argument. I'm at work and on my phone, so I'm not going to list a bunch of examples/reasons.

Well yeah, obviously some sets are more expensive than they need to be, but my point is that you can't just make a blanket "LEGO is too expensive these days" statement because there are sets that offer decent value for money. In my opinion, at least.

I don't care what the prices would have been in 1990. It's 2016.

To put it another way, how much do you think these sets should cost in 2016 for you to consider them value for money?

ghostmind

I really really dig those eyes on the fig. Thats probably my favorite part of that new paint job though I appreciate the booties and arms. That price on the set if true is also changing my mind on that set rather quickly. I could use that tanker truck in a display really easily.

Hearing from multiple sources that it is indeed $30.

Definite pick-up for me.

mrkgoo

Lego is never cheap where I am. It's a premium toy. It's routinely on sale anywhere from 15-25% off, which after factoring in exchange rate usually brings it a bit closer to standard US prices.

But it's still kind of pricey for a toy. But as I said its premium. Economics dictates that if people are buying it at that price it's priced close to correctly. Price it less then you will have more people buy it but less profit, and factoring in customer service and packaging and shipping and so forth you might actually be making less.

Pricing is a tough game. As a business, the correct pricing is to have it as high as you can that people will still buy it to a significant degree so as to maximise profit.

I mean yeah is it "taking advantage" of customers? Sure. But every business by definition is. Sure, as a consumer wouldn't I love that everything I bought be as cheap as possible? Of course, but that's not how economics works. Whatever profit the Lego group is making is deemed the optimal by their research.

I don't know where the notion that if a business can make less money but still be profitable that they should take it - long term stable companies aren't usually in the business to make as little profit as possible or even adequate. That strategy is reserved for fly-by-nighters who aren't in it for the long run.

ghostmind

Well this is not what I was expecting for the Airjitzu Battle Grounds:

JTc5XVy.jpg

udj5zHD.jpg

If you recall, this was originally being rumored as the "Airjitzu Temple Grounds", which had me thinking that it tied into the best set of last year. The truth is disappointing.

Well this is not what I was expecting for the Airjitzu Battle Grounds:

JTc5XVy.jpg

If you recall, this was originally being rumored as the "Airjitzu Temple Grounds", which had me thinking that it tied into the best set of last year. The truth is disappointing.

I will be keeping that box for sure if I buy the set. Thought that was a dead Sensei Wu at first, but I'm guessing it's the original Airjitzu master. Interesting grey piece they are using to launch the air spinners. I've never seen it before. Is it new or an existing Technic element?

I'm only interested in the minifigs.

ghostmind

I will be keeping that box for sure if I buy the set. Thought that was a dead Sensei Wu at first, but I'm guessing it's the original Airjitzu master. Interesting grey piece they are using to launch the air spinners. I've never seen it before. Is it new or an existing Technic element?

I'm only interested in the minifigs.

The minifig is Sensei Yang, the creator of Airjitzu. His statue is in 70751 Temple of Airjitzu.

TheFuzz

I don't care what the prices would have been in 1990. It's 2016. The Minecraft village set is outrageously expensive. City sets in general are ridiculous, price wise. Yes, you could look at the Friends sets and say those are cheaper when you look at the price to piece ratio. However, that's a brand LEGO is still trying to build (even though it's successful). In two years the Friend's sets will be closer to City prices.

Yes, Big Ben has a great price point. It's also a lot of the same parts in the same color. TLG already makes big profit from every set sold, they don't need to jack up the prices.

You (generalized) could pick any one particular set and say it has good value for its pieces. But I can do the same as my argument. I'm at work and on my phone, so I'm not going to list a bunch of examples/reasons.

Jang has covered this exact topics multiple times in his videos, even comparing comparable sets from the 90s to their current counterparts. Sets like police stations, fire stations, etc.

When accounting for inflation, most sets fall in line with the pricing from decades ago, with the price actually being better nowadays. Saying that smaller parts should be cheaper is also an incorrect assertion.

People need to remember that .10 per piece is the "magic" number for great deals, it's not the defining number for what's considered acceptable. I see what you're saying, but when you consider its a collectible toy that typically appreciates in value and is just as consistent from one generation to the next, I'm okay with any premium they charge as long as it's within reason.

TheFuzz

To be fair, though, Jang has also complained in at least a couple of videos now that he finds some of the newest sets expensive.

Oh absolutely. My only point was that Lego has always had those "outlier" sets for whatever reason. It's not that the company suddenly got insanely greedy. It's historically been an issue, for whatever reason.

Oh you better hurry, Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are on borrowed time so get those two ASAP. Then you are going to want Parisian Restaurant right away because of how great it is. And Fire Brigade is oop but you could get Ghostbusters Firehouse as a pretty nice fill in. Oh and you know what would look great in the background of your Modular cityscape? Tower Bridge and Big Ben.

Oh fuck the pet shop is almost oop?!?! Guess I'm getting it tomorrow

Jang has covered this exact topics multiple times in his videos, even comparing comparable sets from the 90s to their current counterparts. Sets like police stations, fire stations, etc.

When accounting for inflation, most sets fall in line with the pricing from decades ago, with the price actually being better nowadays. Saying that smaller parts should be cheaper is also an incorrect assertion.

People need to remember that .10 per piece is the "magic" number for great deals, it's not the defining number for what's considered acceptable. I see what you're saying, but when you consider its a collectible toy that typically appreciates in value and is just as consistent from one generation to the next, I'm okay with any premium they charge as long as it's within reason.

I like a good friendly debate.

I think that in general smaller parts should be cheaper is a correct assertion. Key part is in general when related to simple basic elements such as a 1x1 plate compared to a 1x4 plate. Complexity of mould and time it takes to produce are factors as well, but there is little information on those aspects.

- I think we can all agree that in terms of raw material more plastic costs more money.

- For elements where complexity is the same or similar, smaller (less plastic) is typically cheaper.
Evidence: Based on prices on PAB on S@H
Plates 1x?
1x1 - 0.10
1x2 - 0.10
1x3 - 0.10
1x4 - 0.15
1x6 - 0.20
1x8 - 0.25
1x10 - 0.25

2x2 - 0.15 (just tossing this one in for comparison)
Bricks 1x?
1x1 - 0.10
1x2 - 0.15
1x3 - 0.20
1x4 - 0.20
1x6 - 0.35
1x8 - 0.40
1x10 - 0.45

The biggest issue for comparison purposes is PAB has a built-in cost for selection of the elements (time + labor) which sets a minimum price of 0.10. This makes it difficult to assess the pricing for very small parts. However, we can determine size does matter.

- Without seeing the moulds and process, complexity of producing elements is very difficult to factor. If someone had the time, I'm sure that person would be able to determine a reasonable "complexity" factor for many elements using S@H PAB prices. Basically find elements with nearly identical weight and compare prices on PAB. Perhaps using a specific element as base weight and price.

Going back to Big Ben, I think it's safe to say many of the repeating elements are fairly simple moulds.

EDIT: Finally found one of the elements used in Big Ben on PAB. Was under decorative items and not plates special where I thought it would be. This is an example where smaller can be a bit pricier. 1x1 plate with the vertical tooth is more expensive than a much heavier 1x2 plate. This is a small repeating element in Big Ben that is not a simple mould to process. This made me think of another factor that we cannot know which is production volume. There is a cost associated with switching out moulds and also changing color of a mould. When color is changed, they have to bleed out all the old color from the systems.
(weight from Bricklink)

Design ID: 15070
Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Tooth Vertical
0.25g
$ 0.15

Design ID: 49668
Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Tooth Horizontal
0.29g
$ 0.10

Design ID: 3024
Plate 1 x 1
0.20g
$ 0.10

Design ID: 3023
Plate 1 x 2
0.36g
$ 0.10

Maengun1

Some new set images for your Friday:

Y2SIaQx.jpg

8s4TmlC.jpg

I'm planning to get that fountain set promo when it goes live, when I FINALLY pick up the Ferris Wheel....and tbh I might get this friends party shop too? I'm trying to get a fairground thing going and that looks pretty good....I definitely would like more balloons.

Osahi

June 1st to 15th - free with $75 or more purchase.

Hope it is a lower amount in Europa. Just got back from Lego Store with Brick Bank, should have waited a bit lol.

Got a Mr Freeze and a Creator Parot though. Also nabbed two minifigs from series 15 (thief to go with the bank, and the pest control lady to have some more animals in my modular street)

Might see in june if I grab some sets. Maybe the camper van or fun in the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom