• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God, going through containers of random stuff I built or small sets I tossed aside is a nightmare. It is taking hours just to sort out one container, and there are four more to go. And I haven't even gotten to all the sets strewn across the apartment that I need to break down.

I have been telling myself "No more building until you sort this stuff out." But it looks insurmountable now. But I must do it, or it will just continue to get out of hand.

And then I have all those boxed sets I got on clearance to go through, but those are boxed and out of the way.

I really need to stay more on top of the random crap lying around.

The problem is its 10x faster to build something than neatly break it down and sort the pieces back into your collection, so it just builds up. I have a couple of boxes to sort, but for currently built sets I think I'm going to go to a hybrid solution. Big sets I plan to rebuild I might start breaking down and storing as a set. That lets me skip most of the sorting part (will just do a basic sort by size) which would speed things up.

The problem is its 10x faster to build something than neatly break it down and sort the pieces back into your collection, so it just builds up. I have a couple of boxes to sort, but for currently built sets I think I'm going to go to a hybrid solution. Big sets I plan to rebuild I might start breaking down and storing as a set. That lets me skip most of the sorting part (will just do a basic sort by size) which would speed things up.

Yep I did this with all of my modulars when I last moved because I knew I was just going to set them right back up again. I kinda wish I had done it with a few more sets tbh...I like keeping most of my collection in drawers for my daughter and her friends but it's not like there aren't enough of them to go around ;p

That is how I break things down usually. But right now it is just tons and tons of smaller sets dumped into bins. Ugh. And then I have other broken down sets already sorted in bags, but those are for last.

How could I forget Electric Batman!?! I have that one. :)

These coming out on June 1st as well? I'm gonna need that BB8

CjFPvh3WEAALSS9.jpg

Cheapest way to get BB-8 if one doesn't care about a hole in the stud. BB-8 currently is around $7+ on Bricklink. I wonder if R2-D2 gets jealous. BB-8 has taken over the cutest droid spot.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Why would any adult actually want to watch one of these straight to dvd things? They're made to be endured by adults not enjoyed. So dreadful LEGO continue to pump these out when they've shown they're capable of high quality family entertainment with The LEGO Movie.

I had a day off one Saturday a while back, and there was nothing good on TV, so I flipped to Cartoon Network that had an all day LEGO movie/TV show marathon going. I watched a couple of their DC superhero movies (I think one was Batman and one was Justice League; can't remember more than that), and they were actually highly entertaining and enjoyable.

Ponn

Banned
So i've been having a good weekend so decided to hit another recent set I picked up. This isn't helping my backlog, but hey its keeping it from getting bigger.

The Gotham Cycle chase, or more accurately, The unofficial Suicide Squad set

Deadshot is a pretty good fig. The gun is ridiculous but I appreciate the micro build of that and his jetpack. Great printing, really great fig to add to collection.

Good ol' Harley Quinn. We are really getting into quite alot of alternate figs for her, I think we are at more unique versions than Joker or about the same really. This one is pretty good representitive of the recent comic version of her and pretty close to the movie version. Comes with her giant hammer with fun stickers for each end of it.

The Bat-Pod, er, i mean Bat Cycle. Seriously though if you didn't get one of those Bat-Pod's this is a pretty excellent substitute. Big Beefy Squishy tires and menacing hilariously out of scale cycle. Reminds me a little of that Shredder Dragon Bike from the TMNT sets. Now interesting to note both cycles are built in pretty similar and in some build steps identical ways. Right down to the same very odd pink 2 x 4 brick right in the middle of each cycle. Besides colors the main difference is the bat cycle uses 2 of the big tires and the Harley one uses one big one and a medium sized one.

Overall this fits very well into the cheaper but excellent super hero sets with great figs and great fun builds category. If you are collecting batman or super hero sets this is a must get. Especially once the suicide Squad movie comes out because i have a feeling that movie is going to do very good and this set might jump a little in sales.

So i've been having a good weekend so decided to hit another recent set I picked up. This isn't helping my backlog, but hey its keeping it from getting bigger.

The Gotham Cycle chase, or more accurately, The unofficial Suicide Squad set

Deadshot is a pretty good fig. The gun is ridiculous but I appreciate the micro build of that and his jetpack. Great printing, really great fig to add to collection.

Good ol' Harley Quinn. We are really getting into quite alot of alternate figs for her, I think we are at more unique versions than Joker or about the same really. This one is pretty good representitive of the recent comic version of her and pretty close to the movie version. Comes with her giant hammer with fun stickers for each end of it.

The Bat-Pod, er, i mean Bat Cycle. Seriously though if you didn't get one of those Bat-Pod's this is a pretty excellent substitute. Big Beefy Squishy tires and menacing hilariously out of scale cycle. Reminds me a little of that Shredder Dragon Bike from the TMNT sets. Now interesting to note both cycles are built in pretty similar and in some build steps identical ways. Right down to the same very odd pink 2 x 4 brick right in the middle of each cycle. Besides colors the main difference is the bat cycle uses 2 of the big tires and the Harley one uses one big one and a medium sized one.

Overall this fits very well into the cheaper but excellent super hero sets with great figs and great fun builds category. If you are collecting batman or super hero sets this is a must get. Especially once the suicide Squad movie comes out because i have a feeling that movie is going to do very good and this set might jump a little in sales.

I also recommend this set for the minifigs. The cycles are nice builds. Obscenely disproportionate, but it kinda works. The core structure of both cycles are essentially the same, but slight variations give them their own look.

The direct to video movies with DC, Star Wars and Marvel are actually quite good. Especially for younger kids, but they are also enjoyable as a parent. A lot more compared to a lot of other material out there.

Definitley getting that rouge 1 robot. Looks cool and seems to have a great build. Best star wars figure since Grevious and Vader. Not getting the human figure, as it looks cheap and creepy as usual for any constraction human figure.

When are these coming out? August?

Definitely behind the curve on this but I spotted a full rack of Disney Minifigures at Target the other day and my wife (huge Disney fan) and I decided we'd take a shot at feeling the bags to see if we could identify what we were getting.

Did pretty well for first timers. Accurately guessed 6 of the 9 we bought and the other 3 weren't duplicates thankfully. My wife was awesome at identifying Minnie and Daisy's bows somehow. Here's what we ended up with.

Mickey
Donald
Daisy
Ariel
Ursula
Buzz
Alien
Cpt. Hook
Maleficent

ghostmind

Rogue One buildable figures:

edit: will's got it covered a few posts up

K-250 looks like the best of the bunch.
Deathtrooper looks to be another strong trooper entry.
Jyn is affected by the human face styling in this theme, but she may be one of the best of these.

ghostmind

Definitley getting that rouge 1 robot. Looks cool and seems to have a great build. Best star wars figure since Grevious and Vader. Not getting the human figure, as it looks cheap and creepy as usual for any constraction human figure.

When are these coming out? August?

September 30th, with the rest of the Rogue One wave.

Ponn

Banned

Lot of figs I want in that bunch. Need Goth Boy to go with my Goth Girl. Need the costume figs, want arctic guy for the penguin, same with Dog Show person and also Snow Queen. And of course need Three Amigos.

So what is coming out June 1st? I noticed the creator sets like Lighthouse and the lodge already came out and I didn't think those new Ninjago sets were coming out till later. I know the new Spider-man sets were August but maybe June and also the new Batman sets. Is it mainly the Star Wars sets for June then?

I always thought Spooky Girl was a ghost but now I'm wondering if she wasn't just a goth kid.

I want some of these but none are essential for me, so I'll just regret not getting something after they are gone.

A lot of great ones but then also a bunch i don't really seem to muster up hype for yet...

Like the pirate or the babysitter (the baby itself is great though).

The Imp alone makes this worth it though, it gives me Dragon Quest vibes :) (and yes i DO know it's supposed to be an imp SUIT kid )

teeny

Wehey, that's a bloody good series, lots of potential there.

I much prefer the standard series as much as I like the Simpsons / Disney figs. Isn't there a rumour there will be a Lego Batman Movie series?

Love the new penguin! It's different than Friends Penguin. Will want multiples of that one, and will sell multiples of the minifig that comes with it.

11584998115_9357ef910d_m.jpg

Interesting that the girl boxer isn't beat up like the previous boy boxer.

I want the penguin suit kid, but I'm not quite as excited for it like previous mascot minifigs. Not sure why.

Wehey, that's a bloody good series, lots of potential there.

I much prefer the standard series as much as I like the Simpsons / Disney figs. Isn't there a rumour there will be a Lego Batman Movie series?

Don't see that happening since Batman is an anchor minifig for selling sets. I do see them doing movie tie-in sets though.

teeny

Love the new penguin! It's different than Friends Penguin. Will want multiples of that one, and will sell multiples of the minifig that comes with it.

11584998115_9357ef910d_m.jpg

Interesting that the girl boxer isn't beat up like the previous boy boxer.

Don't see that happening since Batman is an anchor minifig for selling sets. I do see them doing movie tie-in sets though.

I suppose it depends on the movie's contents, but I would certainly be happy with tie in sets.

Just double checked and it wasn't just wishful thinking. Who knows if it's valid though.

I ordered Technic Compact Tracked Loader on awd and it came repackaged with the original box torn open and wrapped in a plastic bag. The inner LEGO bags were unopened and the instructions were there but no sticker sheet. That's fine with me, but I still emailed awd to let them know since they should say if something is missing. They gave me a 30% discount unsolicited.

mrkgoo

Lot of figs I want in that bunch. Need Goth Boy to go with my Goth Girl. Need the costume figs, want arctic guy for the penguin, same with Dog Show person and also Snow Queen. And of course need Three Amigos.

So what is coming out June 1st? I noticed the creator sets like Lighthouse and the lodge already came out and I didn't think those new Ninjago sets were coming out till later. I know the new Spider-man sets were August but maybe June and also the new Batman sets. Is it mainly the Star Wars sets for June then?

Technically speaking he can't really be an arctic guy if he comes with a penguin...Antarctic guy, perhaps?

Rootbeer

Banned
Found mixels series 8 at TRU. Not really that much of a boon, since just about all the other May items are on shelves there as well, but I forgot they were coming.

Got all 3 of the Pyrratz tribe. I've got just about all the Mixels that I could ever want or need, but I do think series 8 is an improvement over the last two or three waves, but that might just be me. Pirates translated way better to Mixel form than the Castle/Medieval theme did

If nothing else, you have to love Lewt -- one of the best Mixels ever.

41568-1.jpg

I might have to get the other two tribes from this wave.

Received 75147 Star Scavenger and 75145 Eclipse Fighter today as well, kicking off my acquisition of the new SW sets. I'm snagging one more when S@H gets them so I can qualify for the new promo... the rest I'll acquire over time.

At long last... Dengar is finally in my minifig collection :) Now I just need an IG-88 (though I don't really like the way any of his minifigs look) and a Lando (Jabba's Palace version i'm not counting!)

These look PHENOMENAL!! I need the whole set with tons of duplicates of the penguin and Scottie Dog. And at least 3 Bananas to be the California Bananas musical group since they've got the shades and I doubt Lego would ever make raisins. Need 3 mariachi for sure. Also extras of the Forest Ranger and of course Babysitter.

Will we get a Lava King next to go with out Ice Queen??

I think this is the series with the most figures I want duplicates of. Holy hell.

Also nobody has said anything about him yet but Splinter Cell minifig = hell yes.

Found mixels series 8 at TRU. Not really that much of a boon, since just about all the other May items are on shelves there as well, but I forgot they were coming.

Got all 3 of the Pyrratz tribe. I've got just about all the Mixels that I could ever want or need, but I do think series 8 is an improvement over the last two or three waves, but that might just be me. Pirates translated way better to Mixel form than the Castle/Medieval theme did

If nothing else, you have to love Lewt -- one of the best Mixels ever.

41568-1.jpg

I might have to get the other two tribes from this wave.

Received 75147 Star Scavenger and 75145 Eclipse Fighter today as well, kicking off my acquisition of the new SW sets. I'm snagging one more when S@H gets them so I can qualify for the new promo... the rest I'll acquire over time.

At long last... Dengar is finally in my minifig collection :) Now I just need an IG-88 (though I don't really like the way any of his minifigs look) and a Lando (Jabba's Palace version i'm not counting!)

Seeing that crab Mixel up close made me realize that the Axle Towball is in white for the first time. Clever use with the eyeball.
https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=2736#T=C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom