• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyari

Oh man all of the new sets had dropped today in my local department store. The urge to spend was fierce.
I'll come back for you, hotdog truck D:!

Ponn

Banned
If it weren't for the parts, I'd tell you to pass.

That being said, there's way too much good stuff coming June 1.

I have a thing for Lego ships, I wish i was around for PoTC and hoping those ships return to Lego form for the next movie. Theres something about the oddball nature of that one that looks good to me. Theres a Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl on AWD for the last month for over $400 a piece i've been salivating over.

Oh fuck the pet shop is almost oop?!?! Guess I'm getting it tomorrow

Not announced / confirmed and people have been saying it for ages. I believe it even got a new box recently. Would not rush out to buy it right now.

5GjyBtx.jpg

Seriously though besides trying to be an enabler Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are up for retirement age and Pet Shop is past the normal range they have retired in the past. Lego doesn't like notify the public when retiring sets, they just don't send out anymore and any left on shelves get picked off real quick by scalpers before you know it. In Pet Shops case we are in "don't drag your feet' territory. Modulars tend to double in price within a month of going oop.

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh nice! I love the previous free sets like that Knight set.

I'm in for 1 for sure. I'll grab a City set to get both I guess.

Of course, I absolutely must have the new ghostbusters set to go with my previous ones.

Jimbro72

Oh nice! I love the previous free sets like that Knight set.

I'm in for 1 for sure. I'll grab a City set to get both I guess.

Of course, I absolutely must have the new ghostbusters set to go with my previous ones.

Sadly, those two promos don't run at the same time. I, too, thought about how you could get 2 freebies with the right sets ordered but then noticed one is early month promo, the other is late month promo.

Rootbeer

Banned
It's becoming more and more a common tactic with them. They stagger the promos so it's less often you can get 2 on one order. Boo.

Well, the Classic Knights set is by far the better one to get. The volcano polybag will probably show up at Toys R Us or Target some months later.

mrkgoo

Oh absolutely. My only point was that Lego has always had those "outlier" sets for whatever reason. It's not that the company suddenly got insanely greedy. It's historically been an issue, for whatever reason.
Jang is from Australia right?

Here in NZ, the prices of newer sets seemed to bump up about a year ago, most likely due to exchange rate fluctuations. It's pretty typical for this region. Like for example what I would consider a $30 set once upon a time was suddenly $40.

I assume it's the same with Aus.

Here in NZ, the prices of newer sets seemed to bump up about a year ago, most likely due to exchange rate fluctuations. It's pretty typical for this region. Like for example what I would consider a $30 set once upon a time was suddenly $40.

I think Jang is in California.

Classic Castle is nowhere as important to me as Classic Space and Classic Pirates, but I'd like to have that box too. Luckily I'll be getting the Ghostbusters car ASAP, so that's a good time to grab it.

I'm assuming that the Elves wave is still planned for August?

Oh absolutely. My only point was that Lego has always had those "outlier" sets for whatever reason. It's not that the company suddenly got insanely greedy. It's historically been an issue, for whatever reason.

It seems to be getting more frequent latley though. Most of the new city sets I've seen so far are fairly overpriced. The Service Station is 515 pieces but costs $90 USD. Another is 330 but costs $50 (it has a fairly large piece on the front but I dont think that justifies a $20 increase as there's no other big pieces on the set and not many figures). Neither have a whole lot of large molds or figures. And then there's the larger sets. The minecraft village set has 1600 pieces but is $200. That's $40 over the usual price per piece ratio. Quite a few of the recent star wars sets were $20-40 over the normal price per piece ratio. The hoth base has 2144 pieces, but costs $250. Seems about $30-$40 more than it should be to me as it doesn't appear to have a large amount of big pieces. Not to mention a lot of designs are re used in it. Battle on Takodana is 409 pieces but costs $60 which is $20 more, although it does have 5 figures but i dont think that justifies a $20 increase especially on a set with a small piece counts and no huge parts. Vaders Tie Advanced vs A Wing has 709 pieces but costs $90, and has no large pieces and a regular amount of figures. Not really an excuse there. Same with the First Order TIE Fighter, which has 517 pieces but costs $70.

Overall the vast majority of sets are still hovering around .9 - 11 cents per piece but quite a few lego city sets and licensed sets are starting to jump over .12 cents per piece or even .15 cents per piece which in my opinion is too much. There's like 20 sets released between last summer and this summer that seem to be $20 or more than they usually would be, despite not having a lot of large pieces or figures. Doesn't seem to just be rare outliers these days.

Not announced / confirmed and people have been saying it for ages. I believe it even got a new box recently. Would not rush out to buy it right now.

haha thanks drunk me was so scared last night when I had read that.

Seriously though besides trying to be an enabler Pet Shop and Palace Cinema are up for retirement age and Pet Shop is past the normal range they have retired in the past. Lego doesn't like notify the public when retiring sets, they just don't send out anymore and any left on shelves get picked off real quick by scalpers before you know it. In Pet Shops case we are in "don't drag your feet' territory. Modulars tend to double in price within a month of going oop.

I'm definitely planning on getting it in the next week or so (when I get paid next week or so).

Ponn

Banned
I put together a set I recently got and one I haven't heard talked about around here that I was excited for.

Majestic Blue Beast

Rawr baby rawr

Nice and jointy tail like the other dragons, the legs were all built the same and also pretty poseable. Haven't ran into any impossible poses yet. In fact...
Dance for me baby, uh huh uh huh
The wings are feathered like Titanium and Master Wu's dragons with the main piece of the wing on a ball joint and those two bigger 'feathers" able to joint up or down. Lots of sword and blade pieces used to build out the wing and give it that feathered look. My only real complaint here is that they are angled up making the bottom of the wing build clearly visible but nothing done to make it look better like just a couple SNOT type pieces or plates to plug into the bottom would have made it look alot better in my opinion.

This is a really great fig here. The coloring is just awesome, its really eye catching. I also like the new type of sword sheaths on the back with the double plade holsters next to each other instead of crossing. Those elemental sword builds are also pretty snazzy.

The other build, eh. Like most of these Ninjago sets the second small build is more of a throw away. There are some useful parts though like the wings and the turbine/multi shooter piece. Also more weapon pieces used decorations in a good way. I really love the color scheme for the enemies in this wave and the steam punk type feeling. These are the exact colors and build ideas i had in mine for an Airship moc and i'm sure the pieces would come in really handy for something like that. The female pirate is a great fig and I love those pirate scimatar's.

Of course people are getting this set for the monkey! Its a pretty cool monkey, i'm not a fan of using fig arms for the hands and feet because it makes placement of the fig awkward. I'm also not a fan of the color scheme on it, its just a weird looking monkey. The grapple hook gun is something i wanted for Batman from when those shooters were first introduced. Having it first hand though it is cumbersome looking but its good in this instance. Very fitting for these air pirates and the whole steam punk feel.

I didn't look at the last page or so of the MOC contest before I started working on mine. Similar ideas already posted but executed way better. I should start over.

I didn't look at the last page or so of the MOC contest before I started working on mine. Similar ideas already posted but executed way better. I should start over.

Says you. That bird was awesome. And here all I made was a Mega Man inspired murder bot and a creepy clown head.

I really have no brain for this contest right now, but will still give it a shot.

I'm building Fire Brigade tonight--my 2nd modular after Parisian Restaurant. When you buy a used set you involuntarily "mix the bags". I've dipped in to my spares half a dozen times rather than sorting through the pile.

1st floor is done and it was great. Now I'm mentally preparing for the 1932 as I've heard it's a PITA.

TheFuzz

It seems to be getting more frequent latley though. Most of the new city sets I've seen so far are fairly overpriced. The Service Station is 515 pieces but costs $90 USD. Another is 330 but costs $50 (it has a fairly large piece on the front but I dont think that justifies a $20 increase as there's no other big pieces on the set and not many figures). Neither have a whole lot of large molds or figures. And then there's the larger sets. The minecraft village set has 1600 pieces but is $200. That's $40 over the usual price per piece ratio. Quite a few of the recent star wars sets were $20-40 over the normal price per piece ratio. The hoth base has 2144 pieces, but costs $250. Seems about $30-$40 more than it should be to me as it doesn't appear to have a large amount of big pieces. Not to mention a lot of designs are re used in it. Battle on Takodana is 409 pieces but costs $60 which is $20 more, although it does have 5 figures but i dont think that justifies a $20 increase especially on a set with a small piece counts and no huge parts. Vaders Tie Advanced vs A Wing has 709 pieces but costs $90, and has no large pieces and a regular amount of figures. Not really an excuse there. Same with the First Order TIE Fighter, which has 517 pieces but costs $70.

Overall the vast majority of sets are still hovering around .9 - 11 cents per piece but quite a few lego city sets and licensed sets are starting to jump over .12 cents per piece or even .15 cents per piece which in my opinion is too much. There's like 20 sets released between last summer and this summer that seem to be $20 or more than they usually would be, despite not having a lot of large pieces or figures. Doesn't seem to just be rare outliers these days.

That's kind of my point.... The 'usual' price-per-piece ratio isn't .10. That's always been the "good deal" price. You also can't really include licensing in the discussion since the license itself has to account for the increase in a lot of cases. But I totally see your point and don't necessarily disagree...

Bought the camaro drag race set today with my 20% off coupon. Pretty excited. My first Speed Champions set.

TheFuzz

Just saw this, but as best as I can tell Jang is definitely from the United States. Based on his videos, I'd assume Northern California. But I don't know.

I'm building Fire Brigade tonight--my 2nd modular after Parisian Restaurant. When you buy a used set you involuntarily "mix the bags". I've dipped in to my spares half a dozen times rather than sorting through the pile.

1st floor is done and it was great. Now I'm mentally preparing for the 1932 as I've heard it's a PITA.
Dat second floor!

And yeah, the 1932 is a pain. They fixed how to do letters and numbers in the later modulars.

I put together a set I recently got and one I haven't heard talked about around here that I was excited for.

I definitely want that brick built dragon.

-----------------------------------
Mini review of 70325: Infernox Captures the Queen
Too lazy to take photos so I just used stock LEGO one.

I highly recommend this set especially if anyone likes these brick built creatures (system constractions?).

I'm not sure how much Mark Stafford was involved in the designs of the hover horses or this set, but I feel there are quite a lot of advanced building techniques. I know Mark brought on to oversee Nexo Knights theme. Props to Mark or whoever designed this set.

I really enjoyed how the hover horse came together and the brilliant use of the motorcycle fairing. It's such a small build, but it is a very intricate build. I understand why a few posters here praised the hover horse awhile ago. I think one will appreciate more after building the hover horse. I'm still not a fan of the neon trans orange with blue color scheme. It's grown on me a bit. If it really bothers me, I could always switch out those parts with a more neutral grey color.

Infernox was very enjoyable to build too and looks great. I like the color scheme. The legs and arm builds are pretty straight forward and nothing too exciting there. I thought torso and head build was fun and had nice techniques. Thank goodness the designer put a shield cod piece over Infernox's privates. Last thing LEGO needs is more controversy.

Feel free to share your thoughts when done. We need to keep enabling people and convert some to try a few of the Nexo Knight sets.

I was kind of converted already until i saw pics of that new Black Knight Mech, which instantly killed all the buzz for me :(

Instead of going with the look of the show (a cool actual black mech) it seems they came out with a lame version of King's Mech instead?

Some other sets i still dig though, like the aforementioned King's Mech itself, the Ultimates and the figs themselves of course..

Funny. I just tore down the Mecha Horse and the chariot. Infernox and the library are next.

As for the price discussion, I think you need to consider more than just the parts count. For example, Friends set are often relatively cheap. But that's because they use a ton of tiny parts like flowers and 1x1 plates and tiles. Every Elves set has a bunch of flowers and crystals all over the place. Meanwhile, pretty much all Minecraft sets have big, chunky 2x2 or 2x4 parts. Even though these parts are more generic (although generally also much more useful), they are many times bigger and heavier. Is it reasonable that a set with 100 2x2 bricks should cost the same as a set with 100 flowers?

Rootbeer

Banned
Scooby Doo and Lego: Haunted Hollywood (BD) [Blu-ray] + exclusive Scooby polybag is now only 12.99

If you want all the scooby variants, now is a good time to grab it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C9O7EH6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

or, get it on target.com (I guess amazon is price matching this?) and save 5% with RED Card plus free shipping

http://www.target.com/p/lego-scooby-haunted-hollywood-dvd/-/A-50954400

It says dvd but this is the blu-ray version. the dvd version is only 9.99 if you want it even cheaper though.

woodypop

Scooby Doo and Lego: Haunted Hollywood (BD) [Blu-ray] + exclusive Scooby polybag is now only 12.99.
Thanks for the heads up! Picked it up in-store at Target.

Between this, Mystery Mansion, Mystery Machine, Mystery Plane, Haunted Lighthouse, Mummy Museum, and Dimensions Team Pack, does that cover all the Scooby variants?

Scooby Doo and Lego: Haunted Hollywood (BD) [Blu-ray] + exclusive Scooby polybag is now only 12.99

If you want all the scooby variants, now is a good time to grab it

or, get it on target.com (I guess amazon is price matching this?) and save 5% with RED Card plus free shipping

http://www.target.com/p/lego-scooby-haunted-hollywood-dvd/-/A-50954400

It says dvd but this is the blu-ray version. the dvd version is only 9.99 if you want it even cheaper though.

Stupid enabling thread. The completionist collector in me wants to get the Scooby Doo variant, but my responsible, reasonable side says I don't need it.

Anyway, here's a list of all the current LEGO Blu-Ray and DVD videos out that include minifigs.

I only have Batzarro, but I want all the other super-hero ones. Let me know if I missed any ones still available.

Scooby Doo
LEGO Scooby Doo and Lego: Haunted Hollywood

Nightwing
LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Gotham City Breakout
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E9PF81M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Trickster
LEGO DC Super Heroes: Justice League: Attack of the Legion of Doom!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJKEKIK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cosmic Boy
LEGO DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League: Cosmic Clash
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194C3E6G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Batzarro
LEGO: DC Comics Super Heroes: Justice League vs. Bizarro League
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQRUAY4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the first time I've seen this technique for making curves. I've seen the alternating round 1x1 brick/plate and 1x2 brick/plate. Seems like the builder is using 1x2 or 2x2 tiles stcked sideways loose. Amazing build.

That looks amazing, particularly where the car crash is. And the loose setting technique looks great, but it would mess with my brain to leave something so loose like that.

That looks amazing, particularly where the car crash is. And the loose setting technique looks great, but it would mess with my brain to leave something so loose like that.

They aren't connected by studs, but it seems it's wedged in very well as the sides and ends are secure. I'm pretty sure the builder is using the alternating 1x1 round and 1x2 regular bricks for the sides to hold the road's shape.

Rootbeer

Banned
Stupid enabling thread.
It's probably one of the least interesting exclusive movie figures to-date, but hey, it's there for those who want it. :)

I own all of the ones you linked, except for the Nightwing one which is still on pre-order

It's obviously not a 100% complete list, as it doesn't include some semi-recent ones like the LEGO Movie set which had an exclusive Vitruvius, but that looks like all of the easily available ones

Of course, you only went over the movie figures. When you include books the list gets way bigger.
Between this, Mystery Mansion, Mystery Machine, Mystery Plane, Haunted Lighthouse, Mummy Museum, and Dimensions Team Pack, does that cover all the Scooby variants?
That's all of the ones I'm aware of. Glad you mentioned the Dimensions scooby, that one is easy to overlook for some people.

It's obviously not a 100% complete list, as it doesn't include some semi-recent ones like the LEGO Movie set which had an exclusive Vitruvius, but that looks like all of the easily available ones

Of course, you only went over the movie figures. When you include books the list gets way bigger.

Yeah, I only included the ones that are still available via retail means.

I only focused on movies because I'm mostly interested in super-hero minifigs. Also, books list is huge as you stated. Thanks for reminding me though there is the Bat-Pirate minifig. Is there any other unique super-hero minifig that comes with a book?

Oh my god Big Ben looks SO GOOD. That PRICE! Now I can't fucking believe I skipped Tower Bridge, and I am so relieved it's actually still available after all these years. That set has longer legs than the Best Star. I can't pick it up until mid-July but it just skipped to the front of my list.

Went to the flea market, as usual everything Lego wise is overpriced to hell and back. I miss the days when I can find stuff.

Did see a copy of 4998 but it didn't look like it had all the pieces and he wanted 20 for it. Tried to talk him down but he wouldn't budge, no biggie. I know you folks are gonna tell me mistakes were made but man, I hate buying sets and finding out they have quite a few pieces missing. Means I have to spend more to complete it and sometimes I can't be bothered.

God, going through containers of random stuff I built or small sets I tossed aside is a nightmare. It is taking hours just to sort out one container, and there are four more to go. And I haven't even gotten to all the sets strewn across the apartment that I need to break down.

I have been telling myself "No more building until you sort this stuff out." But it looks insurmountable now. But I must do it, or it will just continue to get out of hand.

And then I have all those boxed sets I got on clearance to go through, but those are boxed and out of the way.

I really need to stay more on top of the random crap lying around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom