• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponn

Banned
Why do i feel like i pander to that self ALL the time pretty much? ;)

I don't know, my younger self in a store staring at a Scorponok I found for the first time and really wanted would find a way to get my parents to buy it for me. I figure my older self would be a push over compared to that.

ghostmind

Dlzv78P.jpg

Is this in roughly the same scale as wetwired's original one? It looks like it's quite a bit smaller (and more of a toyset, obviously), but that may be just the shot.

It should be the same. It's a blockier car/build though.

It's going to look good on my street next to the other one, but I guess I'll need a bigger threat for them to fight than some Ninjago ghosts.

Risible

I'm excited for the new set of Ghostbusters. They'll look good with the classic Ghostbusters and Mystery Inc.

Whoa, are you me? The only two Lego sets I have on display are those very two :). Sadly, I have to disagree on the new set though, although I'm hoping it'll look better when we get more shots of it.

TheFuzz

Im confused. Has everyone here not seen all the other high-res promo shots they released months back? It's a blockier model but the car is is a different base model, too.

Looks great to me, even if the movie looks like hot garbage.

Hagi

Went to the Lego store to see if they might have bridge battle out but nope get back to my town and go to the supermarket and find the hobgoblin and ghost rider set so yay? lol also finally found a Cheshire to complete out Disney minifigs.

Welp, i gotta say, as little as my expectations are for the new movie... the set i may have to get SOLELY for those outrageous hairstyles if nothing else...

theaface

Picked up 60134 Fun in the Park today. Normally I steer well clear of 'bits and pieces' sets, but this had to be the one to make an exception for. As you're probably aware, there's a boat load of great mini figures included but for me, the babyfigure and wheelchair were worth the price of admission alone. Great stuff!

Whoah. I checked S@H for the new Marvel sets - I need to get more of those web handles. And not only does the new Marvel, DC, City, Disney Princess, Friends, Nexo Knights, Ninjago and Creator stuff officially release on June 1st, the new Elves set are turning up too - they weren't in the early release I already got stuff from.

So there's another ~$240 of sets I need to get in a few days. Good thing I haven't made any stupid purchases yet this month, because I'm about to :D

Rootbeer

Banned
In the USA some of those new items are coming later, July I think? So we get a bit of relief in there.

There are lots of new Marvel/DC sets I am going to want really badly! The Spidey bridge set, ghostrider, and the ones containing the suicide squad minifigs.

Whoah. I checked S@H for the new Marvel sets - I need to get more of those web handles. And not only does the new Marvel, DC, City, Disney Princess, Friends, Nexo Knights, Ninjago and Creator stuff officially release on June 1st, the new Elves set are turning up too - they weren't in the early release I already got stuff from.

So there's another ~$240 of sets I need to get in a few days. Good thing I haven't made any stupid purchases yet this month, because I'm about to :D

Speaking of LEGO S@H, they are sold out of Disney CMFs again. Is that less than 2 weeks?

I also want a ton of those trans clear web handles. I believe they will be very useful especially if it uses an apollo stud.

Ah, it does use an apollo stud.
27236153621_3bba42ed38_n.jpg

76058 Spider-Man: Ghost Rider Team-Up by Brickset, on Flickr

EDIT: My mistake, it's technically an open stud. Apollo stud is a hole.

Hellers

My fun in the park arrived from Amazon UK yesterday

hequSa7.jpg

I'm going to build one of these tomorrow. Probably the Deli

ohAHE8A.jpg

I think I really want the lighthouse set too.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I want to give a very public thank you to Whimsical Phil.

We did a trade for a set of the Disney figures. He got a set of awesome figures, and I got a Vacation Getaways in the process. But, when the box arrived today, there was a nice lil bonus that Phil threw in to get the free shipping:

byyFmiRl.jpg

So awesome! I never got any of this series of figures, and have been wanting a few Hot Dog Guys, so this keychain was such a nice and wonderful surprise to find in the box.

Thank you so much, Whimsical Phil!

Aw, shucks. You're too kind. Glad you enjoyed the Hot Dog Guy. I had no idea you hadn't picked one up previously. I just figured that everyone could use an extra Hot Dog Guy or two in their life.

And thanks again for the Disney figs!

Grabbed the new Bionicle wave minus Quake Beast since they didn't have him. I'll be bummed if Bionicle dies for good this time so I'll keep buying until it's canceled.

TheFuzz

My fun in the park arrived from Amazon UK yesterday

hequSa7.jpg

I'm going to build one of these tomorrow. Probably the Deli

ohAHE8A.jpg

I think I really want the lighthouse set too.

Deli is a great build, I think Kip started pimping that set first.

My order next week will likely consist of the meth la-- I mean Vacation Getaways and a small set to hit the fountain threshold amount.

Looks like there's a sale on select LEGO sets going on with Amazon, 20% or more off.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_1324...1&ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&node=13246006011

Impulse bought that "Darkseid Invasion" DC set with the Javelin, it's $41.99 at 40% off retail, which still makes it the most expensive LEGO set I've purchased to date. I was eyeballing that "Jokerland" set too, but that's more than I'm willing to spend for LEGO.

Blue Power Jet and Morro Dragon are some of the best sets of the last few years. People should jump on those.

Tempted by the Cargo Train and Friends Pop Star tour bus. But, I am being good and not getting them. I am being abstinent until I clean up all this mess around my apartment.

Which I have set the deadline for that for when Big Ben releases.

Fishlake

Contemplating buying one of the Lego train sets on Amazon. I have tons of wooden Tomas the Tank Engine toys from when I was little but I've never had a Lego train. This might be a dangerous purchase if I do it. Anyone here have any opinions on them?

Blue Power Jet and Morro Dragon are some of the best sets of the last few years. People should jump on those.

Tempted by the Cargo Train and Friends Pop Star tour bus. But, I am being good and not getting them. I am being abstinent until I clean up all this mess around my apartment.

Which I have set the deadline for that for when Big Ben releases.

We think a like. It is tempting.

Contemplating buying one of the Lego train sets on Amazon. I have tons of wooden Tomas the Tank Engine toys from when I was little but I've never had a Lego train. This might be a dangerous purchase if I do it. Anyone here have any opinions on them?

We think a like. It is tempting.

I have the Constitution Train Chase, Maersk, and the Horizon Express. I only recently bought a train motor, but have yet to actually put it on a train to make it go. I really don't have the space to run a long track around anything, even if I want to.
But getting some nice parts for a MOC train and more power functions is tempting. But I am going to be strong.

Fishlake

I have the Constitution Train Chase, Maersk, and the Horizon Express. I only recently bought a train motor, but have yet to actually put it on a train to make it go. I really don't have the space to run a long track around anything, even if I want to.
But getting some nice parts for a MOC train and more power functions is tempting. But I am going to be strong.

Reading the reviews on amazon are pushing me toward it. I'm going to sleep on it then decide.

Reading the reviews on amazon are pushing me toward it. I'm going to sleep on it then decide.

Of the current trains out right now, it is the most sensible one. It has the best parts to MOC with, with minimal specified parts like the high speed passenger train does. It also has some very useful track pieces, and in great quantities compared to other trains still readily available. The only knock I can really put against it is it doesn't have a rechargeable battery box included, but none of the trains do.

If you are on the fence, I would say just get it now. It is a damn good value for a train set.

peely

Neo Member
Cargo Train is great :)

The engine is a really good build, nothing special to the wagons and the cargo terminal is a little bit flimsy using the 16x16 plates, but on the whole a great set.

Cargo Train is great :)

The engine is a really good build, nothing special to the wagons and the cargo terminal is a little bit flimsy using the 16x16 plates, but on the whole a great set.

Obviously I haven't gotten it yet, based on my posts of being tempted, but the main engine looks like a simplified variation on the Maersk set, which was a really great set.

teeny

Spent some time last week bodging the mystery mansion into a vaguely modular shape. The dimensions aren't correct and the back is open to maintain the play set, but I don't mind.
And I haven't bought a second one to enclose it... Yet!

I'm happy with the roads, though, the raised yellow and white lines make it look cartoony and I should be able to extend them easily enough if/when I get more room.

Next to finish the bank!

peely

Neo Member
Obviously I haven't gotten it yet, based on my posts of being tempted, but the main engine looks like a simplified variation on the Maersk set, which was a really great set.

The Maersk was available when I was starting to buy again, but a bit too much for me back then. I do want it, just a matter of biting the bullet with the after-market prices.

ghostmind

The Maersk engine is long - almost too long for sharp track curves. Still an awesome build and a great set though.

The holy trinity:

mFLtao3.jpg

*not including trains like the Santa Fe Super Chief, which are from my Dark Ages.

Koren

Damn, don't tempt me... I could very well dive into trains again.

Although it feels wrong not having a power distribution system on the rails... I guess you can't control the trains the way you used to in the past (stop at lights, for example)?

peely

Neo Member
The Maersk engine is long - almost too long for sharp track curves. Still an awesome build and a great set though.

The holy trinity:

mFLtao3.jpg

*not including trains like the Santa Fe Super Chief, which are from my Dark Ages.

They look fantastic. Working my way towards all three as I should have bought Horizon Express near the end of its Production life, but after living frugally for a while I have problems spending money on myself ...

Didn't stop me buying 7740 on the second hand market a few months ago though. That was the one train I wanted when I was a kid and it didn't disappoint.

Damn, don't tempt me... I could very well dive into trains again.

Although it feels wrong not having a power distribution system on the rails... I guess you can't control the trains the way you used to in the past (stop at lights, for example)?

I still run some 12v stuff and love the control of accessories but not the lack of control of individual trains. When the kids are older and I have some more time will try and automate with Pi/Arduino - there are a few youtube videos out there on how to do it :)

Also, rumours are of a new train for the holiday season, there were some posts on Eurobricks a while back about a Christmas Train (here), so we'll see what comes of it :) I don't expect it to come as good as the three that Ghostmind posted though.

Koren

I still run some 12v stuff and love the control of accessories but not the lack of control of individual trains.
You can quite easily control several trains with the old system (Edit: invasive method, though).

The easiest trick, for two trains, is using voltage polarity: add a diode and a capacity in both lego motors (really minor modification). Diods in different directions. Then positive voltage will control one train, negative the other one, and all accessories tricks will still work.

When the kids are older and I have some more time will try and automate with Pi/Arduino - there are a few youtube videos out there on how to do it :)
I'm not sure I should look into it, but...

When I have the room, I will have to get either a train set or one of those old monorail sets because those were pretty cool and I always wanted one as a kid.

ruxtpin

Banned
Making my first visit to NYC over the holiday weekend. Stopped by the Lego store near 30 Rock. Was kinda disappointed, as I thought there would be more stuff on display.

Kyari

German football team mini figs seem to have hit the UK Lego stores today. Picks up a few to stock up on neat hairpieces and flesh tone faces/hands :D

Koren

When I have the room, I will have to get either a train set or one of those old monorail sets because those were pretty cool and I always wanted one as a kid.
Monorail need less space than trains, but it lacks something compared to trains... I think that's the inertia of trains, the gear propulsion system of monorail make the thing closer to a plastic toy. The trick to automatically reverse the train in monorail sets is clever, though.

Granted, I love my Futuron monorail (6990) as much as my 12V train set (7740), but should I go serious into one or the other now, that would definitively be trains. Monorails make great additions to lego cities (or airport) though.

peely

Neo Member
You can quite easily control several trains with the old system (Edit: invasive method, though).

The easiest trick, for two trains, is using voltage polarity: add a diode and a capacity in both lego motors (really minor modification). Diods in different directions. Then positive voltage will control one train, negative the other one, and all accessories tricks will still work.

Thanks :) Trying not to be invasive though. Think my red motor is on the way out so I dread having to fix/replace that.

Monorail need less space than trains, but it lacks something compared to trains... I think that's the inertia of trains, the gear propulsion system of monorail make the thing closer to a plastic toy. The trick to automatically reverse the train in monorail sets is clever, though.

Granted, I love my Futuron monorail (6990) as much as my 12V train set (7740), but should I go serious into one or the other now, that would definitively be trains. Monorails make great additions to lego cities (or airport) though.

I always wanted the airport monorail to go with my airport (that I got for my 8th birthday or whatever). The aftermarket prices are not good :( ... one day !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom