• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the middle of a huge Warhamer 40k project, PC organization process, and house renovation project. So of course, I picked up yet another Lego project!

These are some proof of concept style pics of a soon-to-be-converted baseball bat display case to show off/store my minifigs. I have far too may of them and so have been looking into something like this for awhile now.

These will sit 30 minifigs in a row, 3 rows deep and I bought 2 of them. I may go back for a third...

Now for the pics.

603F1077-CE97-4F76-A435-5B02103A22A6.jpg

CBA1E73F-64C6-4296-9D70-890D773EBFCC_1.jpg

273C9E2E-69DA-4773-AC06-F9B664F7FDC0.jpg

I need to build the tiers next. Plenty of light gets into the third row, it's just that the reflection is terrible for pics.

I got these at Michaels on a 40% off sale with a stacking 20% off coupon. They're normally $60 each, so get 'em while they're hot is my motto.

Koren

These are some proof of concept style pics of a soon-to-be-converted baseball bat display case to show off/store my minifigs. I have far too may of them and so have been looking into something like this for awhile now.
That's really nice...

I can see this as a nice display of a skiline of architecture or architecture-like models.

Still... I'm surprised at the way the classic space logo is turned ;)

(I want this figure, btw... I haven't been able to get one yet. Shark man either :/)

TheFuzz

I'm in the middle of a huge Warhamer 40k project, PC organization process, and house renovation project. So of course, I picked up yet another Lego project!

These will sit 30 minifigs in a row, 3 rows deep and I bought 2 of them. I may go back for a third...

Now for the pics.

CBA1E73F-64C6-4296-9D70-890D773EBFCC_1.jpg

273C9E2E-69DA-4773-AC06-F9B664F7FDC0.jpg

I need to build the tiers next. Plenty of light gets into the third row, it's just that the reflection is terrible for pics.

I got these at Michaels on a 40% off sale with a stacking 20% off coupon. They're normally $60 each, so get 'em while they're hot is my motto.

Those are awesome, I'll have to try that. I, too, have too many minifgures and need to put them somewhere.

Also, more pics of that room!! (Please).

Jimbro72

No one else liking Rex's AT-TE? Does Rebels not get alot of love or something, because I think the show is freaking awesome. I'm also liking Darth's Tie Advanced set. Both sets have an excellent assortment of figs but the Star Wars tax does hurt the price I guess.

I'm definitely getting the new AT-TE. I have the other 3 versions built and displayed so I'm looking forward to seeing how this one looks along side all the others. I will be waiting until I can get it for at least 20% off or more. So no rush on it for me.

I can imagine using that to sort through a huge pile of unsorted LEGO. I can imagine getting really into Technic if I wasn't drowning in LEGO system sets.

What are you using it for, exactly?

Are you talking about Brickset? It has a lot of uses.
- Inventory
- Price checking (retail stores especially Toys R Us price sets higher than MSRP)
- Online instructions
- Use it with Rebrickable to see what MOCs or other sets you can build with your existing collection
- and a bunch of other stuff

Now for the pics.

Looks pretty good. 3 of those gives you a capacity for 270 minifigs. That's not even enough for all the CMFs assuming you get all of them.

Fishlake

Question for those of you who bricklink. Is there a program that will pull up the cheapest order possible for a set that is discontinued? I've been searching around the web and can't seem to find anything of the sort.

I've been looking for a home programming project I could make and this looks like one I might try if it really does not exist.

I'm thinking of having it take a part list and pull up the cheapest way to get all the pieces in the parts section of brick link.

Amazon had a sealed '03 Makuta set for $40 up today and I snatched it. Last set I need for '03 Bionicle. Slowly getting close to a complete collection.

Toxi

Banned
Amazon had a sealed '03 Makuta set for $40 up today and I snatched it. Last set I need for '03 Bionicle. Slowly getting close to a complete collection.
Sweet. The original Makuta is one of my personal favorite sets. Just looks really mean and beefy, and despite the lack of knees you can still get some very cool poses out of him.

Toxi

Banned
Are there other Makuta sets? I was only aware of the one.
Ultimate Dume (Though that was a combiner)
Maxilos and Spinax

And... Yeah, that's about it. So "original" Makuta doesn't mean much when the only real other Makuta set was a robot he possessed in 2007.

Question for those of you who bricklink. Is there a program that will pull up the cheapest order possible for a set that is discontinued? I've been searching around the web and can't seem to find anything of the sort.

I've been looking for a home programming project I could make and this looks like one I might try if it really does not exist.

I'm thinking of having it take a part list and pull up the cheapest way to get all the pieces in the parts section of brick link.

I wrote some tips about it previously:

http://www.beardednerd.se/how-to-pi...or-any-other-expensive-out-of-print-lego-set/

HOWEVER, this might need a revision soon, as Bricklink is about to launch new features. They're going to include some kind of automatic shop sorting to find the best combination for parts.

The most important tip though is to get the rare parts first. It's more likely that you'll find a bunch of other parts in the store that has the rare part, than the other way around.

Osahi

No one else liking Rex's AT-TE? Does Rebels not get alot of love or something, because I think the show is freaking awesome. I'm also liking Darth's Tie Advanced set. Both sets have an excellent assortment of figs but the Star Wars tax does hurt the price I guess.

I love how it looks, and I'm a sucker for Walkers, so it is on my list. I just can't justify the price at the moment, so it is one of those sets I'll try to grab on a discount.

Haven't seen Rebels 2 btw, but loved season 1.

In other news: finished the second set of bags of Brick Bank yesterday. It's looking slick, and it seems like this one will have the best play features of all the modulars I own (DO, PS, PR, PC).

Had to tear down the washing machine block twice though, because we made mistakes with the colors. In our artificial light at night grey and light blue are very similar, and on the instruction pages brown and dark gray are too. So in the end we noticed we missed a blue 4x1 tile and had a grey spare, and then the same with brown and dark gray corner pieces. :D Luckily the washing machines are designed to be removed, so it wasn't a hassle to find the wrong pieces and fix it.

Koren

I can imagine using that to sort through a huge pile of unsorted LEGO.
Also thought of this... but no, not a chance you could do anything that work. ^_^ I've looked into computer vision, because I'm interested in those kind of techniques, but it's also unusable.

Are you talking about Brickset? It has a lot of uses.
I was talking about why would you put all your own sets on Brickset, besides having some nice statistics available...

Question for those of you who bricklink. Is there a program that will pull up the cheapest order possible for a set that is discontinued?
What do you mean by cheapest order for a set?

If you talk about complete set, isn't the available ones already sorted by price on the set page? Are you talking about special store terms (minimum, shipping, etc.)?

Or are you trying to bricklink the pieces? If so, yes, there's several programs that optimize wanted list orders, such as Brickoptimizer (which are not perfect). But that depends what you're trying to do exactly.

willp2003

Anyone know what time the Porsche will be going up on the first? I must have it.

You might want to wait for a review. Sounds like there's a bit of design issue, which may or not put some people off. Something to do with the gears I believe. Review should start appearing soon, depending on the time zones, and when they hit June 1st.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh hey, brickbuilder did Tower Bridge!

how could something be so big yet be so empty?!

EDIT: And building the same tower again! holy shit this seems tedious than fun

You might want to wait for a review. Sounds like there's a bit of design issue, which may or not put some people off. Something to do with the gears I believe. Review should start appearing soon, depending on the time zones, and when they hit June 1st.

Yeah I don't care. I'm getting it.

Fishlake

I wrote some tips about it previously:

http://www.beardednerd.se/how-to-pi...or-any-other-expensive-out-of-print-lego-set/

HOWEVER, this might need a revision soon, as Bricklink is about to launch new features. They're going to include some kind of automatic shop sorting to find the best combination for parts.

The most important tip though is to get the rare parts first. It's more likely that you'll find a bunch of other parts in the store that has the rare part, than the other way around.

Oh wow this will help a lot. I was actually looking around Bricklink and I just couldn't find a simple way t go about ordering discontinued set especially larger ones. Since I have also seen in search of a project to program I thought I would ask if any thing exists on how to go about ordering large amounts of parts from old sets.

What do you mean by cheapest order for a set?

Or are you trying to bricklink the pieces? If so, yes, there's several programs that optimize wanted list orders, such as Brickoptimizer (which are not perfect). But that depends what you're trying to do exactly.

Yes that is what I was thinking about. I will definitely check out Brickoptimizer for my own use.

elfinke

Yeah I don't care. I'm getting it.

I sat up to midnight (playing Football Manager, so not a total loss) waiting for the calendar to tick over to June 1.

At 0003 I logged in, only to see the set change to 'coming soon' and remain unorderable. Hadn't changed this morning, either.

Bummer.

I sat up to midnight (playing Football Manager, so not a total loss) waiting for the calendar to tick over to June 1.

At 0003 I logged in, only to see the set change to 'coming soon' and remain unorderable. Hadn't changed this morning, either.

Bummer.

For the largest toy company in the world and online orders a huge segment, LEGO website is sorely lacking. It does not scale well.

elfinke

For the largest toy company in the world and online orders a huge segment, LEGO website is sorely lacking. It does not scale well.

Yeah, agreed. I read over at Jays blog a couple days ago that the set is being released only in Austria/Germany today/tomorrow, and the rest of the world in August/September ("The exclusive LEGO set of the exceptional sports car, which has been developed in close conjunction with Porsche AG, will initially be available at shop.LEGO.com from June 1st, 2016, as well as in the 13 LEGO stores throughout Germany and Austria. It will be available in other stores from August 1st, 2016".). But I was holding onto hope of a release today due to the Lego site saying exactly that.

Regarding the gears being awkward/broken, one of the reviews mentions that the relevant steps are backwards:

... That was not the end of my troubles though. Inverting those axles fixed the gear sequence, but there is another issue with the gearbox that derives from the shifting mechanism. The XO liftarms that pull and push the links so the different gears engage and disengage should stop at 90 degree intervals, to be precise at 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees. The fact is they do… when you pull either of the paddles, but as soon as you let them go the backlash (or slop) in the system pushes the liftarm back some 30 degrees.

This can result in all sorts of unexpected behaviour. In the best case scenario nothing happens
! However, quite frequently this results in a strange clicking sound in the gearbox as a partially engaged driving ring clicks over the notches in a clutch gear. Your worst case scenario is that that same driving rings stays too far inside the clutch gear meaning two different gears are engaged at the same time. This will result in the engine stalling and the mechanism locking up. This can be easily solved by shifting gears again, but it happens with a certain regularity.

I guess this could be the cause of the release delay?

Just got a huge package from Aliexpress. I had forgotten all about this order, but here it is!

Here's all my X-Men and X-Women. I'm really happy to have the original team. Well, in various forms, but you get it :p I'm lovin' the Professor X, lol. He has 2 heads so I went with the one that is concentrating because it's actually a pretty cool print! I have 5 different Wolverines, but went with this one for this pic. I also left Magneto out because he's my only X-Villain besides the Sentinel.

057FDF35-1016-444F-B2D7-F6F0AB95F54A.jpg

Next up is my new She-Hulk and a picture of the cousins together.

56DDC189-95D2-4BAB-8CF3-D9FEBCDDDBF6.jpg

61EB3E98-A783-482E-B44C-DCA6AA81DD24.jpg

The rest that I got were loads of doubles for official figs I already have. I got 3 more MCU Falcons, a couple more Captain Marvels, yadda yadda. It seems I went double crazy on this order. I have 3 complete sets of the X-Men and about 5+ MCU Avenger teams from various phases.

Do you know any specifics on this? I really want one too, but this is the first I've heard of a design issue.

ThisOne

How much longer can I expect some of the Creator stuff to be around? Stuff like Lakeside Lodge, Beach Hut, Corner Deli, Changing Seasons, etc. Those types of sets typically available for 2 years?

Just got a huge package from Aliexpress. I had forgotten all about this order, but here it is!

Here's all my X-Men and X-Women. I'm really happy to have the original team. Well, in various forms, but you get it :p I'm lovin' the Professor X, lol. He has 2 heads so I went with the one that is concentrating because it's actually a pretty cool print! I have 5 different Wolverines, but went with this one for this pic. I also left Magneto out because he's my only X-Villain besides the Sentinel.

057FDF35-1016-444F-B2D7-F6F0AB95F54A.jpg

Next up is my new She-Hulk and a picture of the cousins together.

The rest that I got were loads of doubles for official figs I already have. I got 3 more MCU Falcons, a couple more Captain Marvels, yadda yadda. It seems I went double crazy on this order. I have 3 complete sets of the X-Men and about 5+ MCU Avenger teams from various phases.

I just saw those the other day as they are fairly new releases. I really wish LEGO would release more minifigs to cater to the comic book nerd crowd. I agree Xavier concentrating is a nice print. I'd be shocked if that Xavier print was designed in-house and not swiped from some customizer.

I just saw those the other day as they are fairly new releases. I really wish LEGO would release more minifigs to cater to the comic book nerd crowd. I agree Xavier concentrating is a nice print. I'd be shocked if that Xavier print was designed in-house and not swiped from some customizer.

My bet is he makes that face in a Lego video game.

Ponn

Banned

Awesome, I ordered my batch the day you posted those new pics. I still haven't received mine but should probably be getting them any day now. I'm glad to see they look good and i'm happy about the prof X head, that is just awesome. I want to build him that yellow hover chair he always rode around in though. At the very least give him the good looking wheel chair from that new fun in the park set.

Dammnit Lego do a X-Men CMF line already would you.

Looks like the Porsche delivers greatly in the looks department, but over complicates the transmission and over simplifies the wheel areas. I'm sure someone will come up with some modifications that will rectify those two (I mean shit could probably get away with just removing the gears related to the D-N-R shifter and get a nice improvement), so I'm still going to get it.

I dunno, maybe it was just the picture I saw but the front of the Porsche looks kinda ugly. Not sure how else they could do it though.

elfinke

Looks like the Porsche delivers greatly in the looks department, but over complicates the transmission and over simplifies the wheel areas. I'm sure someone will come up with some modifications that will rectify those two (I mean shit could probably get away with just removing the gears related to the D-N-R shifter and get a nice improvement), so I'm still going to get it.

I see the Australian Lego site has finally updated. It now says "out of stock, will ship in 30 days". I never actually saw it come in stock, but there we go.

Can at least add it to my bag and buy the damn thing, but with a thirty day wait I'll just hold out for a sale at a third party show, I think.

From the Eurobricks Review:

Eurobricks said:
Onto a more delicate matter. Some of you might have heard or read the rumors about this set being potentially flawed. Before jumping to conclusions, let's take look at the supposed flaws of the gearbox.

First of all, the gear sequence is incorrect. Instead of switching from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th, it's shifting from 1st to 3rd to 2nd to 4th. Say what?! I talked to Paul (Boratko, Crowkillers) about this possible issue, and without seeing any picture he immediately figured out that some of the gears must have been switched. As it turns out, there's indeed a mistake in the building instructions, or in the design, but I reckon it's not the latter.

I can (more or less) understand why this mistake has been made. What I can't understand is that this has not been caught before production. Quality control guys most likely aren't petrol heads, like some of the AFOLs. Let's take a look at what's wrong. On the left you will see the assembly when you follow the building instructions. On the right you see how it needs to be built. The grey 16T Gear and the black 12T Double Bevel Gear need to switch sides. the center gears are placed correctly.

So it's all good now?! Well, not exactly. There's an even more pressing matter which we need to discuss. Occasionally the gearbox seems to stall completely.

Since you are not supposed to hook up a motor near the fake engine, the white clutch gear can't do it's job to prevent stalling. However, the main question is; why does the gearbox stall completely? And why does it stall so often? One of the reasons can be that the fins on the new red driving rings are slightly too thick. This will increase the change of the gears getting stuck. However, it happens quite often so I am not sure whether this is the case.

The majority of the people building this set will probably never notice this flaw, since the clutch gear will hide the gearbox issues. But this set being The Ultimate, you'd expect the gearbox to function properly. The gearbox being the single most important technical function in the car, I am baffled by the fact that the mistake in the building instruction has not been caught, and that the actual gearbox itself seems to be flawed. Next time TLG better contact Paul before releasing another supercar :wink:

This issue has been communicated to TLG, so let's wait for them to come with an official statement.

There are videos on the link that show the problems, and a short video of the fix for the incorrect shifting,

Agent AA1 said:
The Lego Porsche US site says coming soon now...? Did I miss out already lol? http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Porsche-911-GT3-RS-42056

It was like that at 12:30AM, but I never actually checked at midnight, so it either hasn't gone up yet or is already sold out.

willp2003

The U.K. S@H also says 30 days, so I'm guessing they're holding onto them so they can issue an instruction fix to resolve the gear order problem.

Kinda LTTP on this one but... as i am currently building Quinjet 2.0, i wonder, should i go WITH or WITHOUT stickers on this one? Anyone here left them out and it still looks decent enough? Mainly worried about that canopy piece...

Ponn

Banned
I still think it's lame, especially compared to Sydney Opera House.

Fuck, GB Firehouse was big AND has inside stuff!

GB Firehouse is also $110.00 more for around the same piece count. At some point the designers have to know where to stop building and consider price. Tower Bridge is not a playset, its a display piece so they are going to put all the piece count towards the outside.

edit: Read this article this morning, made me sad. I don't think I would have handled it as well as the creator did so kudos to him.

For some reason I thought Big Ben was coming out today. Ended up ordering the new Pirate Mixels on Amazon instead. I've never built a Mixel before, but those pirate ones look cool.

Went ahead and ordered the Porsche, we will see how long it takes to ship. I was planning on building it while on vacation in July anyway, so as long as I have it by then, I'm good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom