• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osahi

Not really feeling the Rogue sets, but that's probably because I haven't seen most of these things in action yet (or up close). Had the same feeling with TFA sets like the Kylo Shuttle or the color scheme of the X-Wing, and they grew on me.

Will aim for the AT-ST offcourse, and I think the U-Wing looks really cool too. The Tie Striker might be a winner too actually. Won't get them day one though, as prices will undoubtedly be very inflated over here (can't believe those dollar prices are genuine. They are actually below 10 ct/piece on most of the sets, while it's been a while I have seen a SW set here that doesn't hover around 13 to 15 ct/piece)

In other news. Finished Brick Bank yesterday. Obviously a brilliant set, like al of the modulars. The building itself is pretty straightforward, but with some really nice detailing. I loved the minibuilds inside, like the desks and chairs, the coffee machine and offcourse the chandelier and I really like the play features. First floor was the most fun to build though, and when I came to the roof I was almost fed up with it. (Seems to be the case that when a modular doesn't really have a third floor, but a flat roof, it is the least fun part of the build). Overall, not my favourite modular (PR for the win, closely followed by DO), but still a great set offcourse. And my Thief from Series 15 finally has something to steal now!

Rearanged my street by the way. Will see of I can upload some pics later on.

willp2003

If anyone gets the new Technic Porsche, Blakbird at eurobricks has found what looks like a fix to get the gears running smoothly. It's at step 5, so good luck going back if you've built it! He hasn't finished the full model yet, but has competed the chassis (with the gears in correct order)
CC80A27C-DFC2-4E1A-BE4A-41AE413D1135_zpsi0e6s1wy.jpg

Hopefully some other people will try this and confirm if it works.

TheFuzz

Need some help, GAF... Need to hit that threshold to grab the free fountain. So between the two of these, which do you prefer?

Super Hero Airport Battle
Vacation Getaways(plus a mixed or something)

I know both will be on sale at some point, just trying to prioritize what to grab now.

halp

Vacation Getaways is possibly the nicest summer release overall, so yeah, get that. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have some City camper sets.

Need some help, GAF... Need to hit that threshold to grab the free fountain. So between the two of these, which do you prefer?

Super Hero Airport Battle
Vacation Getaways(plus a mixed or something)

I know both will be on sale at some point, just trying to prioritize what to grab now.

halp

Vacation Getaway looks like a terrific set, but the airport one is a terrific playset. The Giant Man build may be one of my favorite designs of the year - super impressive.

I say get the more expensive one now, then you can scoop up the vacation getaway on a whim later on!

/enable.

Ponn

Banned
In my opinion, the branding is really ugly on the frame.

Seriously though, it may be a good, inexpensive way to have mount-ready frames quickly.

Thanks, thats kinda what i'm looking for. I just want to get some of my figs out of bins, especially the ones that are rising in price. Not looking for aesthetics, i mean, it would probably go up near my Nintendo club posters.

These are very easy to diy with ikea ribba frames and inverted slopes. Google it.

Yea i've seen some of the ones people here have done and they look good. I have limited transportation though and don't want to spend alot on frames. I'm also having tougher times manipulating stuff and doing DIY projects. I guess I could just glue mine to the wall like a certain show about bricks.

These are very easy to diy with ikea ribba frames and inverted slopes. Google it.

I really need to do something like this. My collection is dwarfed by most people here, but I've got like 1,500 figures sitting in various sorted bins. It's tidy & out of the way, but seems like a waste.

I'm also having tougher times manipulating stuff and doing DIY projects.

I forgot about this, sorry. In that case these would definitely be an easier solution for you to manage.

Thanks, thats kinda what i'm looking for. I just want to get some of my figs out of bins, especially the ones that are rising in price. Not looking for aesthetics, i mean, it would probably go up near my Nintendo club posters.

Yea i've seen some of the ones people here have done and they look good. I have limited transportation though and don't want to spend alot on frames. I'm also having tougher times manipulating stuff and doing DIY projects. I guess I could just glue mine to the wall like a certain show about bricks.
Attach one of these to to end of a baseplate to hang on a nail.
4211419.jpg

Secure it with some Bow pieces. Now you have a flat surface to add SNOT to to place figures on. No glue needed.

Honestly never thought of that until seeing that official frame. Might have to try this to see if it works.

Edit:

Quick and dirty but it seems like it could work.

Kyari

Tempted to pick up the spider-man bridge set this weekend.... But I should really save it for double points or a cool give away...

Anything on the upcoming calendar ?

Kyari

Ghostmind NO WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!

(were you able to do it with just 2 sets or were extra pieces used?)

Ponn

Banned
Attach one of these to to end of a baseplate to hang on a nail.
4211419.jpg

Secure it with some Bow pieces. Now you have a flat surface to add SNOT to to place figures on. No glue needed.

Honestly never thought of that until seeing that official frame. Might have to try this to see if it works.

Edit:

Quick and dirty but it seems like it could work.

thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif

I gotta ask what Loki is trying to do to Ackbar with that staff though. Price per parts is still probably around $10 with the cost of a baseplate but that would give alot of customization options.

Dual Bridge Battle:

HKPAxn5.jpg

Ugh I want to do this so bad. These are out in August in US right? I'm thinking of getting two and selling or trading the extra set of figs to someone here who doesn't want the set.

ghostmind

X2iD3VN.gif

(no extra pieces - according to Kevii23 on Eurobricks he just left off the sections from bag 7.)

Here is the bridge with the sections added back in, and modded to fit together (again no extra parts):

hY5lyB8.jpg

thatsgoodthatsdamngood.gif

I gotta ask what Loki is trying to do to Ackbar with that staff though. Price per parts is still probably around $10 with the cost of a baseplate but that would give alot of customization options.
I just grabbed the nearest figures is all. I am surprised you didn't ask why Spidey was in a bunny outfit.

TheFuzz

Well, after seeing Vacation Getaways on display, I had to go with that. To get the free fountain, also grabbed the Carnage/Sky Attack set.

Heh? What is this crazy lady up to?

This is dangerous

OuuYses.jpg

And she can't be up to no good!

I get it! She's gonna rob that bank! In broad daylight!

The irony is the Brick Bank has 22 pieces of this
4211081.jpg
which would make her heist a lot easier. :)

Dual Bridge Battle:

HKPAxn5.jpg

So awesome! Needs more car!

Selling the minifigs from the 2nd set would pay for almost 30-50% of the 2nd set. Can't settle for just 1/2 a bridge after seeing that!

EDIT: I feel like with 4 sets you can make it a proper two lane bridge. :)

rokkerkory

75152 Imperial Tank (385pcs; $29.99)
75153 AT-ST (449pcs; $39.99)
75154 TIE Striker (543pcs; $69.99)
75155 U-Wing Starfighter (659pcs; $69.99)
75156 Imperial Shuttle (863pcs; $89.99)

75119 Jyn Erso (104pcs; $24.99)
75120 K-250 (169pcs; $24.99)
75121 Death Trooper (106pcs; $24.99)

*set names not official

gimme the striker though!!!

If anyone gets the new Technic Porsche, Blakbird at eurobricks has found what looks like a fix to get the gears running smoothly. It's at step 5, so good luck going back if you've built it! He hasn't finished the full model yet, but has competed the chassis (with the gears in correct order)
CC80A27C-DFC2-4E1A-BE4A-41AE413D1135_zpsi0e6s1wy.jpg

Hopefully some other people will try this and confirm if it works.

Thank you very much, I'll try this when I get mine. Are there any other small mods like this that we are aware of?

I love these dragons! Elves remains the best thing out of Lego at the moment.

Great pics as always. I need to walk my youngest daughter past some of those dragons soon. They're awesome.

And Ghostmind, thanks for setting the bar appropriately high for the bridge set. 1 set barely seems worth it.

Rootbeer

Banned
Nice dragons :)

yeah i'd love to get them all at some point.

they are on my "buy when the discount is good" list. i'm trying to keep a good eye on them.

I better not get one...because then i'd have to get them all... and then they'd always remind me of how Smaug got away from me, shoulda snatched that up when i had the chance :(

I'm hoping it holds out long enough for the Disney figs coming back in stock, because I need to pad my order with them to be eligable

I almost always need to pad my order with one single pick-a-brick to get the promos. It's silly that they make the threshold £50 and not £49.99 or whatever, because this single brick being picked and sent seperately must cost them a fair bit!

Osahi

I almost always need to pad my order with one single pick-a-brick to get the promos. It's silly that they make the threshold £50 and not £49.99 or whatever, because this single brick being picked and sent seperately must cost them a fair bit!

Well, I need 10,01 Euro's to reach 55, so it's a fair bit :p Will have to wait for a few days untill my next credit card period starts anyway, because I'm on a tight budget this june (bought Brick Bank. Should've waited a few weeks for this promo, because all I got was a parrot and a Mr Freeze. (J/K Those are cool too ;) ) ). If I order after the 7th It's on the july bill, not on the june one :)

wetwired

So after leaving my original ideas too late for my local LUG expo I asked if anyone needed help. Someone was doing a Simpsons Springfield display and had done The Simpsons House, Flanders House, Kwik-E-Mart and the town square.

They asked if I could make the Jebediah Springfield statue so I obliged...then proceeded to make The Town Hall, Moe's Tavern, Krusty Burger, Comic Book Shop, Toxic Pond, Tire Yard, Mr Plow, School Bus and a random car.

After that the other guy building built the Springfield "Hollywood" style sign and hills.

I went in tonight to set up and snapped some dodgy pics, all the minifigs will go in tomorrow.

BgCtDCR.jpg

S1ZzFgM.jpg

mRZjMXh.jpg

dRaSfcr.jpg

mg5dITA.jpg

4FsmqGa.jpg

auwkWzV.jpg

pGotE7M.jpg

J01GlyB.jpg

h9OQ5Th.jpg

The Batmobile is going to have Bartman in it
qM3RJ81.jpg