• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
albXSfq.jpg

These 3 are 20% off and buying them all takes you right over the threshold for the fountain.

I was eying those sets when I was putting my order together but I'm pretty excited about the sets I chose, especially the Eclipse Fighter and Dojo Showdown. And Merlok Library...and the police Mixels. Pretty excited about the fountain too.

Just to show bootleg figs con's I give you Rogue

I'm not mad, I actually like the looks of the new Rogue pic I just posted this morning and i've actually wanted an upside down face for awhile now for Halloween purposes. This is somethingthat can happen though.

Darn mutant! You can always put the same LEGO head used for Wonder Woman. That seems to fit most super heroines.

One thing I don't like about the knockoff prints for women is they make the torso print too narrow. I dunno, maybe super heroines have corsets on.

EDIT: Speaking of getting in a shipment. I just got one today that was supposed to have Galactus. Turns out the seller didn't have anymore in stock and I didn't see message on aliexpress. He is refunding me. Sadly I waited too long and it's hard to find that one without having to buy a bunch of others I don't want. I ended up snagging some off eBay at a much higher price. Compared to around $1 it's much higher. :) Next time i won't delay on something I really want, especially at the cheap prices.

TheFuzz

The joint simpsons display one best display in the expo! We won the Brick Bank which I already have so the other guy can get it and we'll figure something out later.

Bonus Bartman pic

Congrats, Wet! It's a fantastic display and deserves it!

The joint simpsons display one best display in the expo! We won the Brick Bank which I already have so the other guy can get it and we'll figure something out later.

Bonus Bartman pic

What are you guys using for the road there? I can see the tiles in between but what are those big grey plates/tiles?

TheFuzz

Just finished the Vacation Getaways boat. Wow. It's a REALLY nice and detailed model. I feel bad tearing it down, but I'm gonna try the Camper next. What an awesome build, especially to be a "secondary" model.

Jimbro72

Just finished the Vacation Getaways boat. Wow. It's a REALLY nice and detailed model. I feel bad tearing it down, but I'm gonna try the Camper next. What an awesome build, especially to be a "secondary" model.

Good to hear as this is a rare set that I think I'm going to buy more than just a single copy of because I really like the alt models it has and once I build something, I like it to stay built.

teeny

Came across the new mixels today. Went for the Pyrratz family and each of the builds is fantastic. My favourite family yet, and it's looking like an all round excellent series. Must get the dentist set next!

I keep telling myself that I won't keep collecting mixels but the builds are so creative and the pieces so useful... And they get better every time!

Maengun1

Huh. I made a big order on the site this week and cashed $45 in VIP points on it that I had been saving for like a year. My order history on my Lego account does list that I cashed the points, and lists my "order total" as 45 bucks cheaper. They also removed the points from my account.

My shipping e-mail, though, (and now the receipt in the box which just arrived) makes no mention of the points at all and lists the "order total $" as the normal retail price + tax. I can't remember, is this the normal way it works or did they actually charge me wrong? Gonna shoot them an e-mail anyway but I figured you guys would know if this is iffy or not.

TheFuzz

Good to hear as this is a rare set that I think I'm going to buy more than just a single copy of because I really like the alt models it has and once I build something, I like it to stay built.

My thoughts as well... The house looks cool too, but the brick-built boat with the detailed interior is truly a sight to see, especially for the price and all the leftover parts when done.

My thoughts as well... The house looks cool too, but the brick-built boat with the detailed interior is truly a sight to see, especially for the price and all the leftover parts when done.
I am gonna try the other builds soon. But right now enjoying the Camper itself.

8x16 tiles

Ugh rare indeed, seems like they only came in 5 sets so far, and really old and uncommon ones too...

2 bucks a piece? I may have to reconsider grabbing those for my modular road hmm.... then again if i do it all with smaller tiles i need a TON so the price may even out somewhat.

edit: Just saw that Jang Porsche review and.... yeah Technic is still not for me...BUT i respect how they actually have a working paddleshift transmission in that thing LOL, nice... unfortunately as Jang stated it (almost for him) doesnt matter to me since whenever you look at the thing all you see is that "empty carcass" look of a technic build which i just cannot seem to accept as a display model!

wetwired

Ugh rare indeed, seems like they only came in 5 sets so far, and really old and uncommon ones too...

2 bucks a piece? I may have to reconsider grabbing those for my modular road hmm.... then again if i do it all with smaller tiles i need a TON so the price may even out somewhat.

edit: Just saw that Jang Porsche review and.... yeah Technic is still not for me...BUT i respect how they actually have a working paddleshift transmission in that thing LOL, nice... unfortunately as Jang stated it (almost for him) doesnt matter to me since whenever you look at the thing all you see is that "empty carcass" look of a technic build which i just cannot seem to accept as a display model!

I got 50 each in dark grey and black a few years back via LUG bulk

Two great reviews of 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

JANG: https://youtu.be/5fZpihyMGdA

That's a really great video. It was so cool watching how the gears actually work but yeah, without power functions you're kind of left asking what's the point? Looks like one of those models which will be an amazing amount of fun to build but not so much fun to just have around. If you wanted a display piece you could just build the shell.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
With things like the Porsche they should just add half of the shell pieces and its frame in transluscent bricks so you can build it half solid, half see-through.

Ponn

Banned
Two great reviews of 42056 Porsche 911 GT3 RS.

JANG: https://youtu.be/5fZpihyMGdA

Sariel: https://youtu.be/0Y59aTZ_88A

If you are on the fence with this set, or just curious about what all the hype is about, these reviews are recommended.

Jang's video highlighted really well why I wasn't very excited for this set like others. $300 for a set where the majority of the parts, time and build are completely hidden from view. I have similar issues with like say for instance the GB HQ where a significant part of the model is hidden when on display but the difference is you can easily open it up and show it off whenever you want without having to tear down the build. I appreciate the time and effort they put into this model but I really think they would have been better off taking more advantage of the time they put into the build then hiding it away. Better power functions integration (just screams to be modded for remote control operation) and maybe transparent body panels to better show off the inside. If someone was just looking for a very pretty model of a porsche I don't think they would be picking this up anyways, that would be missing the point.

Koren

I agree... I could have been interested in a nice Porsche like the previous non-technic models.

But I don't see the appeal of a technic version. Most of the parts are hidden from view, can't really be used (unlike in the technic sets that actually have power functions) and share only a vague relation with the actual car.

I can see how clever the gearbox can be, but I can't see myself buying an expensive set for a gearbox hidden in a black (orange) box that I can use for nothing.

Ponn

Banned
My sister has been gifting me a big Lego set every summer now as an early birthday present and she offered me one again this year. As much as i've been waffling on Tower Bridge and even had one in my hands and sent it back (boxless though) I decided I can't do the numberless bags and have no room for that and Big Ben. It's an eyes bigger than my stomach scenario that I know I would regret. At this point I would rather get two Spidey NY bridge battle sets because at least those I could integrate into my overall superhero scene on my wall. So I chose the GB Firehouse which should be delivered this week. I know its been mixed reviews on it but I am a GB fan, I missed the Fire Brigade modular and I still think it fits in with my modular street despite being a little bit bigger than the others. So anyways, yea next weekend should be fun right?!

TheFuzz

My sister has been gifting me a big Lego set every summer now as an early birthday present and she offered me one again this year. As much as i've been waffling on Tower Bridge and even had one in my hands and sent it back (boxless though) I decided I can't do the numberless bags and have no room for that and Big Ben. It's an eyes bigger than my stomach scenario that I know I would regret. At this point I would rather get two Spidey NY bridge battle sets because at least those I could integrate into my overall superhero scene on my wall. So I chose the GB Firehouse which should be delivered this week. I know its been mixed reviews on it but I am a GB fan, I missed the Fire Brigade modular and I still think it fits in with my modular street despite being a little bit bigger than the others. So anyways, yea next weekend should be fun right?!

I don't know if I'd even call it "mixed" reviews, even the "negative" ones are good. At absolute worst it's a great parts pack with incredible mini-builds. At worst.

I'm a big GB fan, but even if i wasn't, it's well well worth it. An incredible set. You'll be very happy.

Ponn

Banned
I don't know if I'd even call it "mixed" reviews, even the "negative" ones are good. At absolute worst it's a great parts pack with incredible mini-builds. At worst.

I'm a big GB fan, but even if i wasn't, it's well well worth it. An incredible set. You'll be very happy.

I'm positive I will love it. I guess I consider the reviews mixed because when a set is over $300 I feel like the reviewer should be gushing over it. If you are going to shell out $300 or more for a set you better freaking love it, thats why I don't fault people for not going after sets like Helicarrier and Batcave even though I love both of them. They have their negatives and I don't fault anyone for wanting perfection for that much money.

So new mixels are sold out on S@H, like not orderable sold out. I think they've done that before and came back but its still kind of going to mess up my order when I go to make it next week for the fountain. I wish they wouldn't make stuff sold out like that when they know they are going to restock it.

Something else that has been bugging me, is it just me or has Jang and Brick Show been really slacking on their reviews and inconsistent? Like where is the Creator Lighthouse review from either of them? Brick Show especially has been slacking on reviews ever since they decided to expand and try to make themselves bigger. They actually got worse and have had less content. I've had to resort smaller youtube reviewers for some info on sets, like the Creator Lighthouse.

ghostmind

I'm positive I will love it. I guess I consider the reviews mixed because when a set is over $300 I feel like the reviewer should be gushing over it. If you are going to shell out $300 or more for a set you better freaking love it, thats why I don't fault people for not going after sets like Helicarrier and Batcave even though I love both of them. They have their negatives and I don't fault anyone for wanting perfection for that much money.

So new mixels are sold out on S@H, like not orderable sold out. I think they've done that before and came back but its still kind of going to mess up my order when I go to make it next week for the fountain. I wish they wouldn't make stuff sold out like that when they know they are going to restock it.

Something else that has been bugging me, is it just me or has Jang and Brick Show been really slacking on their reviews and inconsistent? Like where is the Creator Lighthouse review from either of them? Brick Show especially has been slacking on reviews ever since they decided to expand and try to make themselves bigger. They actually got worse and have had less content. I've had to resort smaller youtube reviewers for some info on sets, like the Creator Lighthouse.

I think JANG's been keeping up best he can. He's done most (all?) of the Bionicle, most of the Star Wars, a bunch of CITY, plus the CREATOR Vacation Getaways and Treehouse, the Technic Porsche and a bunch of Mega Blox Halo and Call of Duty sets. He just picked up all the Ninjago summer wave as well, so he's got a lot to build and review.

I stopped following the Brick Show a couple years ago, so I can't speak on that.

On the topic of JANG, the 31053 Treehouse Adventures set seems like a big step up from the 2013 predecessor:

https://youtu.be/ETP0MO4sHsI

Great review, as expected. I have had an idea on a review of the set and Vacation Getaways once I built them, but have not had the time to get the photos I needed to post them. Hopefully soon.

For those that remember my "review" of the Creator treehouse set from a few years ago, I have been thinking of ways to do a sequel to it.

Great review, as expected. I have had an idea on a review of the set and Vacation Getaways once I built them, but have not had the time to get the photos I needed to post them. Hopefully soon.

For those that remember my "review" of the Creator treehouse set from a few years ago, I have been thinking of ways to do a sequel to it.

Needs a visit from green Bruce Banner minifig and Deadpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom