• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFuzz

I'm positive I will love it. I guess I consider the reviews mixed because when a set is over $300 I feel like the reviewer should be gushing over it. If you are going to shell out $300 or more for a set you better freaking love it, thats why I don't fault people for not going after sets like Helicarrier and Batcave even though I love both of them. They have their negatives and I don't fault anyone for wanting perfection for that much money.

So new mixels are sold out on S@H, like not orderable sold out. I think they've done that before and came back but its still kind of going to mess up my order when I go to make it next week for the fountain. I wish they wouldn't make stuff sold out like that when they know they are going to restock it.

Something else that has been bugging me, is it just me or has Jang and Brick Show been really slacking on their reviews and inconsistent? Like where is the Creator Lighthouse review from either of them? Brick Show especially has been slacking on reviews ever since they decided to expand and try to make themselves bigger. They actually got worse and have had less content. I've had to resort smaller youtube reviewers for some info on sets, like the Creator Lighthouse.

I don't fault Jang since it's a lot of work and he's not solely living off video reviews, you can tell it's more of a hobby.

Brickshow just seems to come off as "how can we make money off of this?" Nice guys I'm sure, but looking at their channel, it seems like the channel is just a piece of their brand now.

Ryuuroden

I got 50 each in dark grey and black a few years back via LUG bulk

Hey, I did the same thing two years ago, lol. Still waiting on this years so I can start building the main frame of the airship. I pretty much haven't touched it since I built the prototype turbo engine and lower stability wing.

Brickworld Chicago is next week and I'm just planning on bringing my expanded orthanc and the gbc unit I am contributing to my lug collaborative. I will also bring all the bricks I need to start stage 3 of the orthanc revamp which is adding the mines and expanding the build to under the table.

I'll post pictures of the gbc wip later tonight. Since I really did not have time to completely hash out a totally original facade that I would be happy with like I was able to do with orthanc, the design is heavily influenced by fire brigade and grand emporium.

I just got word that my local unofficial LEGO store is closing its doors. I visit them almost weekly - gutted to hear that there will be no more Lasting Toys in the near future..

https://www.facebook.com/LastingToys/

I was in there on the weekend and bought a magnet.

2855028-1.jpg

I posted pictures a couple of years ago, but for those not familiar it is a store that only carries LEGO products, including a huge selection of long out of print sets. I discovered it around the time of CMF series 7 and was able to complete series 1 through 6 due to their stock. The beautiful thing was that most sets were very close to MSRP well after the fact.

At some point last year they drastically increased the price of their old sets. Town Hall & Haunted House are both around $500 CDN there now, and even old CMFs were getting priced similarly to Bricklink prices. The store was great at shutting down obvious resellers (I'd seen them deny people trying to buy 15 copies of an OOP set) but even with the price increases I'm not totally surprised to see them go.

There are four official LEGO stores within a 45 minute drive of Lasting Toys and I suspect they were feeling the crunch.

Pour a sip.

the set looks pretty cute. office with some bookshelves, big round window, some characters I don't know, interdimensional portal, reaching tentacles. good stuff. not quite the modular spooky library of my dreams but excellent inspiration.

Kyari

yeah having now seen the image its a cute little diorama, but I get the feeling the price will be massively inflated because of the piece count on the tiny parts?

Also it has a Book 1 symbol on, does that mean there are multiple books? For such a small set?

Kyari

There's a toy board, and usually a lego thread on there. I'm not sure what the stance is on posting leaks here, but if one was curious the image is currently just over there on /toy/ in the Lego thread.

Ponn

Banned
At least 2 manuals from that pic. It will be $30-40. But we will have an official Lego Cumberbatch.

Ugh, I hope not. While it looks like another great $20 superhero set with 3 figs I can see how even though it looks like a small build it could push over the 200 piece count into the dreaded mediocore $30 set range. That will be tough decision time. Where I would normally wait for a deep discount like the Iron skull, black manta, bat harbor pursuit sets since this is a single set from a movie ala Ant-Man I would be afraid of it disappearing fast and suddenly like that set.

Ugh, I hope not. While it looks like another great $20 superhero set with 3 figs I can see how even though it looks like a small build it could push over the 200 piece count into the dreaded mediocore $30 set range. That will be tough decision time. Where I would normally wait for a deep discount like the Iron skull, black manta, bat harbor pursuit sets since this is a single set from a movie ala Ant-Man I would be afraid of it disappearing fast and suddenly like that set.

You would think the Ant Man set would be a lesson learned for people and they won't hesitate when they see this one on shelves.

Ponn

Banned
You would think the Ant Man set would be a lesson learned for people and they won't hesitate when they see this one on shelves.

Luckily I got one but I will admit it was a close call and they had "disappeared" within a couple weeks of that. I almost got caught and thats enough for me to get this one right away.

And dammnit it all, that sucks I understand its hard to come up with a set for Dr. Strange and this is probably the best idea I could think of but for such a small viginette thats disappointing.

I'd be happy if that was a $35 set, but $30 would be nicer. :) With prices lately, I'd expect that set to be $40.

What's with the trans clear fans? Is that girl/guy gonna fan the creature to death?

I like the set, but I may hold out for a sale on it. 2 minifigs have nice printing, but nothing too special about them.

Biggest draw for me is Dr. Strange and the tentacle creature.

Called it!
And it looks like a great set for the price actually.

$30-$40 was spot on. Kinda like psychics and horoscopes with a general guess. :)

Rootbeer

Banned
Doctor Strange set is an absolute must-have, even at that price. I hope people learned their lesson from the Ant Man set, those who missed out on it at retail. Don't miss out on this one.

LEGO Dimensions! I've been long waiting for this. :) Thankfully my Dimensions 1 (Dimensions Classic? Dimensions Legacy? [LEGOcy?]) collection is nearly complete save for Bane and a few of the Ninjago/Chima ones. I might just pass on all of those. I have just about all the ones I want. But I'm very excited for the next stuff coming.

My Ninjago Character Encyclopedia 2016 & Chronicles of the Force shipped!

Maengun1

Re-assembling my Fairground Mixer for the summer, and I somehow managed to break four of these despite being very careful after the first break:

6CYwvrA.jpg

There are 24 of them in the set which each need to be clipped into bars on both sides, but yeesh...this has gotta be one of the weakest elements Lego makes. Luckily I was able to pull enough spares out of other disassembled sets I have to finish building it. Put in a broken parts request so it'll be all good.

Put together the Batman Cycle set with Deadshot and Harley Quinn...kinda like the designs of the bikes

I think they are nice too. A bit on the large side, but they still work. The core of them are almost identical, but then the builds start to differ a lot more and give each one a different character. I think the core is a great basis of all sorts of bikes.

Ponn

Banned
That was so quick I didn't even have time to feel teased.

Right?! It was like the Skinemax of teasers.

Re-assembling my Fairground Mixer for the summer, and I somehow managed to break four of these despite being very careful after the first break:

There are 24 of them in the set which each need to be clipped into bars on both sides, but yeesh...this has gotta be one of the weakest elements Lego makes. Luckily I was able to pull enough spares out of other disassembled sets I have to finish building it. Put in a broken parts request so it'll be all good.

Thats not cool dude. I would use the Lego website and send a letter to Lego about it. If they can send you a bunch of extras you may end up needing them down the road and the set is still in supply. Now i'm worried about those pieces in mine.

Put together the Batman Cycle set with Deadshot and Harley Quinn...kinda like the designs of the bikes

Such an awesome $20 set. Figs are awesome and those bikes are really cool looking, they are like animated versions of the Bat Pod.

Maengun1

Thats not cool dude. I would use the Lego website and send a letter to Lego about it. If they can send you a bunch of extras you may end up needing them down the road and the set is still in supply. Now i'm worried about those pieces in mine.

I requested 10 even though I only broke 4, lol. Figured yeah, gonna need 'em eventually.

Next time I get out to an actual Lego store (which is rare, none anywhere near me) I might fill half a pick a brick cup with them if they have 'em.

edit: I'm also planning to leave the ride seats assembled next time I take the set apart, the pieces won't be stressed again and it will save me a step anyway.

teeny

How do you guys sort and store your bricks? I have a four-drawer thing and a large box with it all just randomly chucked in. Outside of that, I have a bunch of kilner jars of varying sizes which look quite cool but is incredibly impractical.

The problem is, I have limited space so need to get something as compact as possible. I'm thinking of something along the lines of stackable drawers I can put cutlery-like dividers in.

It's going to be an absolute pain to sort, but worth it in the end methinks.

I'm liking the Strange set, especially the figure. Mine will be riding Smaug, obviously. But I'm assuming it will be one of those super-crazy prices, like 449 SEK ($55).

If it's Ant-Man scaled, like 299 SEK, I would get two. But I don't see that happening, there's much more substance to this set.

How do you guys sort and store your bricks? I have a four-drawer thing and a large box with it all just randomly chucked in. Outside of that, I have a bunch of kilner jars of varying sizes which look quite cool but is incredibly impractical.

The problem is, I have limited space so need to get something as compact as possible. I'm thinking of something along the lines of stackable drawers I can put cutlery-like dividers in.

There some example of storage from a few members in the OP. That should help a bit.

Check out extreme storage solutions here: http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/lego-rooms.html

Bottom line is most people store in plastic containers of some form. Drawers are best IMO, but pricier. Another solution I use is ziploc bags which are cheap then toss them in larger plastic containers to keep costs down. The stuff I use the most I keep in plastic drawers.

Remember:
3aYorjw.jpg

There are two in this thread that sort by color first. One of them had a LEGO Idea project approved and made into a real set. You can follow someone like that or sort it the right way.

EDIT: Found another good link from the comments of the first link. http://thebrickroomblog.com/

Ryuuroden

Check out extreme storage solutions here: http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/lego-rooms.html

Bottom line is most people store in plastic containers of some form. Drawers are best IMO, but pricier. Another solution I use is ziploc bags which are cheap then toss them in larger plastic containers to keep costs down. The stuff I use the most I keep in plastic drawers.

Remember:
3aYorjw.jpg

There are two in this thread that sort by color first. One of them had a LEGO Idea project approved and made into a real set. You can follow someone like that or sort it the right way.

EDIT: Found another good link from the comments of the first link. http://thebrickroomblog.com/

I sort by type and then color. A lot of my types (1x8 plates etc etc) are further sorted out by color due too the number of bricks I have. Currently the only Lego that's really not sorted beyond its specific type and size is the really unique stuff like accessories and weapons and weird elements. Even my accessories elements are sorted between 40 mini drawers by musical instruments, sports gear, food, books, etc

As your collection gets bigger and bigger, you are forced to get more and more specific. For instance I have over 3000 dark blueish grey 1x4 bricks spread between 3 plastic shoeboxes but I have all my 1x3 and 1x1 dark bluish grey bricks together in their own box because I don't have enough of either for them to each have it's own box like the 1x4s.

BentBricks speaks the truth.

I sort by type and then color. A lot of my types (1x8 plates etc etc) are further sorted out by color due too the number of bricks I have. Currently the only Lego that's really not sorted beyond its specific type and size is the really unique stuff like accessories and weapons and weird elements. Even my accessories elements are sorted between 40 mini drawers by musical instruments, sports gear, food, books, etc

As your collection gets bigger and bigger, you are forced to get more and more specific. For instance I have over 3000 dark blueish grey 1x4 bricks spread between 3 plastic shoeboxes but I have all my 1x3 and 1x1 dark bluish grey bricks together in their own box because I don't have enough of either for them to each have it's own box like the 1x4s.

I do something similar. I have 7 or 8 of these things and I'll probably pick up a few more:

They work well for small parts and I have things sorted pretty granularly. Like Ryuuroden I separate food, flora, headpieces, hats, hair etc. etc. etc. These bins are great for that type of thing. Obviously there are a ton of elements that are too big or in too large a quantity to fit in these organizers. My shelves have 30 - 40 plastic shoeboxes that I use to store those items:

Also like Ryuuroden, I've got a "bullshit" box. This is for all those stupid pieces and weird, giant elements that'll never get used again.

Edit:
I'm getting lost in that link BentBricks posted. Travis M of Melbourne, if you're reading this you need to get organized, son!

https://thebrickroomblog.com/2015/11/09/subject-13-travis-m-of-melbourne/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom