• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turnbl

Picked up my old massive tub of Lego from my parents' recently. I just had to complete the classic LL928 first. Benny looks happy about it! (the small one is the Micro build from the recent Great Lego Sets book).

azCAd5a.jpg

txc61Vo.jpg

NWtyZeE.jpg

And here are some of my oldest sets from the late 70s/early 80s... now which one to do next? Having a blast!

DuoEdTm.jpg

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
They nailed the front on that beetle but the whole backside is disappointing (and leads to the 2CV comparisons). It's too steep and edgy. They should've just made the engine inaccessible and make it round instead.

darkinstinct

I don't see why it would. LEGO would know that people voted for that based on the scale and features of it, and so cutting them could harm sales, and it passed review as a 1m tall set so why change it? I thought design changes were generally quite minor in Ideas sets based on available parts, etc, rather than complete overhauls that just keep the idea itself.

They even talk about the scale in the video, I don't think they will touch that either.

Picked up my old massive tub of Lego from my parents' recently. I just had to complete the classic LL928 first. Benny looks happy about it! (the small one is the Micro build from the recent Great Lego Sets book).

azCAd5a.jpg

txc61Vo.jpg

NWtyZeE.jpg

And here are some of my oldest sets from the late 70s/early 80s... now which one to do next? Having a blast!

DuoEdTm.jpg

I had the pleasure of building that set recently, from a friend's part bin. It's great and very, very iconic, but I don't know if I'd prefer having the original or a really good remake. Benny's ship somewhat fulfills that place already.

If only all parts were available. Trans yellow is a problem when making Neo Classic stuff.

Osahi

The Disney figs on S&H have the message 'call to check product availabilty' now. Is this good or bad news? (Previously it was 'Sold out'). Are my fears they are not coming back in stock now correct?

Still need 8 to complete my set, and I've barely seen them in the wild. If shops won't get new stock I'm fucked. :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, the new VW Beetle has me seriously considering getting back into LEGO. But there's SO many sets I would want...That's painful for my wallet to think about.

Turnbl

Well for the next one, I started small. Probably appealing to my Dukes of Hazzard wide-eyed amazement we have set 6627. Nice cowboy hat.

ylgQszr.jpg

crpav

Set 6680, one of my favourites as a kid. Something about the back windows...

OnZ53R8.jpg

Wow awesome! I should post pictures of my old sets I put together earlier this year. One day I asked my 3 year old son if he wanted to go get my old Legos from my parents house and he was excited. For weeks he kept wanting me to build a new set. He of course added some of his own alterations to them. They are now on a card table as he has lost interest in them and is back to his Duplo. Hey, Duplo are still fun!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the submission is something like 1 meter tall, no doubt it'll change much before the release...

Nice. Just saw the ideas page for it. 1100 pieces seems doable from a price perspective, and I love how it proper command module and lunar module inside it.

Koren

Nice. Just saw the ideas page for it. 1100 pieces seems doable from a price perspective, and I love how it proper command module and lunar module inside it.
I'm really thinking about building a custom LEM. I really love the thing, and the official one (beside being OOP) isn't that great, and anyhow I missed it.

Wow awesome! I should post pictures of my old sets I put together earlier this year.
My parents should bring part of my old Legos soon, I'm more and more thinking about rebuilding old sets. Not sure I'd want to undo some of my custom builds for this, though.

(and some models are still built, like the 6394 Car wash IIRC)

Pretty sure I had both those vehicules (100% sure for the ambulance, 99% for the car).

LEGO Dimensions Ghostbusters gameplay demo (with some close-ups of new physical sets):

m01rrwm.jpg

I think Gizmo's "pants" are placeholder.

Toes would be nice but his legs are white.

ZYmDFsG.jpg

I should buy another Ultimate Lavaria so I can make a spider gremlin.

There better be some printing of some sort on the legs. Foot printing at least and maybe some fur print. It looks incomplete just plain white.

Gonna have a cage match with E.T. and Gizmo. Throw Stitch and the 3-eyed Toy Story alien too.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm looking at a lot of shit in my cart right now...It's painfully expensive, ha. But some of it looks amazing. I forgot how cool the Sydney Opera House looked. I'm thinking of nixing the Sandcrawler right now, though. It's a neat set, but it's not blowing me away. Damnit LEGO...

I'm looking at a lot of shit in my cart right now...It's painfully expensive, ha. But some of it looks amazing. I forgot how cool the Sydney Opera House looked. I'm thinking of nixing the Sandcrawler right now, though. It's a neat set, but it's not blowing me away. Damnit LEGO...

Opera House isn't really worth it.

Osahi

Beetle is up at S@H

It's fucking 105 euro's in Belgium (compared to 90 in Germany)

I don't get it anymore. Previous Creator cars were all fairly priced (Ferrari was 90, same price as Germany), now we get a over 10% price hike?

Maengun1

I kinda want to get the Beetle, but if I get the Beetle I also have to get the Mini Cooper and the Ferrari lol.

I'll see how I feel next double points. Maybe.

The ride never ends.

darkinstinct

Beetle is up at S@H

It's fucking 105 euro's in Belgium (compared to 90 in Germany)

I don't get it anymore. Previous Creator cars were all fairly priced (Ferrari was 90, same price as Germany), now we get a over 10% price hike?

There may have been more returns in Belgium. Or bigger demand. And taxes are higher in Belgium (21 % vs. 19 %).

Osahi

In Sweden it's the same price as the Camper, even though it's a smaller set with less pieces.

Here it is more expensive. The taxes can't really be the answer, as it has always been 21% and the Ferrari was the same price. Could be more overhead costs due to being a smaller country, but even so, a 15% hike is terrible.

It really dampens my mood, as I was so looking forward to this set. The price is just hard to swallow knowing people 100 km further pay less. And it's on everything these days. Brick Bank was a whopping 20 euro's more expensive, but I bit that bullet anyway.

I've been noticing that European prices have been creeping this year strangely enough.. Could have to do with Euro depreciating significantly againsdt the dollar..

Which is odd because Lego is a European company, so you would actually expect the dollar prices to come down, not this way around.

It's probably just opportunistic pricing.

darkinstinct

I've been noticing that European prices have been creeping this year strangely enough.. Could have to do with Euro depreciating significantly againsdt the dollar..

Which is odd because Lego is a European company, so you would actually expect the dollar prices to come down, not this way around.

It's probably just opportunistic pricing.

Actually not odd at all, they produce in Euro regions as well as those that are valued by dollar and their product relies on fossil fuel, which is traded in dollar. But most of all they have never been more successful and have greater demand than supply. That's when prices go up.

Oh really?

That's kind of disappointing...Care to share why??

It's huge - too huge. There's nowhere to put it. It doesn't fit with anything else. The build is very repetitive, especially the sails which just go on and on for the last half of the build.

It has a TON of useful parts, except for all those useless sail curves. Some really neat techniques are used in terms of building diagonally, and some of the glass sections are great.

But I bought it at 25% off and mainly as a parts pack. I'd say you get a cooler, more compact build with Big Ben instead.

It's huge - too huge. There's nowhere to put it. It doesn't fit with anything else. The build is very repetitive, especially the sails which just go on and on for the last half of the build.

It has a TON of useful parts, except for all those useless sail curves. Some really neat techniques are used in terms of building diagonally, and some of the glass sections are great.

But I bought it at 25% off and mainly as a parts pack. I'd say you get a cooler, more compact build with Big Ben instead.

Echoing most of this. There is a lot of great stuff in the set, but in the end it is just a glorified parts pack. And I am trying to figure out something to use those curved sections for, as now I have a ton of them.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just built the Deep Sea Submarine (60092)! I've been wanting it ever since it was released, but it was so horribly overpriced. Finally found it for just $22 on Amazon Warehouse and jumped on it. Loved it just as much as I expected! Now I want to get the Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set though...

Just built the Deep Sea Submarine (60092)! I've been wanting it ever since it was released, but it was so horribly overpriced. Finally found it for just $22 on Amazon Warehouse and jumped on it. Loved it just as much as I expected! Now I want to get the Deep Sea Exploration Vessel set though...

I have that in my backlog. It looks like a really fun build with a good looking final product.

One thing I'm confused about is why does US lego prices stay approximately the same (despite occasional sets with weirdly high prices every year) but other countries prices fluctuate all over the place? Are they using the US dollar as a base or something and when other countries currency value goes up and down that reflects in lego prices? Or is it just that the US dollar stays around the same in value while other countries dont? I suck at economics

Koren

I barely ever buy "normal" sets, but I've jumped on this one (and probably at close to MSRP, though I don't think I paid 49€) and I really like it. And I'm longing towards the vessel, too (if the sub would fit in the vessel, I would have already bought it)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So if I plan to order a few bigger sets, should I do separate orders to get multiple promo products, or do they toss one in for every $x you spend?

Also, do large orders show up in inconspicuous boxes? One of the sets I'm ordering is a gift for my wife and I'll be out of town when it arrives.

E: Also, which modulars are at risk of retiring?

Koren

So if I plan to order a few bigger sets, should I do separate orders to get multiple promo products, or do they toss one in for every $x you spend?
I don't think I ever got multiple promo products in an order.

Also, do large orders show up in inconspicuous boxes? One of the sets I'm ordering is a gift for my wife and I'll be out of town when it arrives.
I find Lego boxes unmistakable now, but there're just plain cardbox boxes with a pair of thin straps. There's a tiny "Lego system" on the shipping sticker in plain text, though.

There has been surprises in the past, modulars going OoP out of order, but pet shop is the most likely candidate, with Palace cinema being second (then Parisian Restaurant, I guess)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I don't think I ever got multiple promo products in an order.

I find Lego boxes unmistakable now, but there're just plain cardbox boxes with a pair of thin straps. There's a tiny "Lego system" on the shipping sticker in plain text, though.

There has been surprises in the past, modulars going OoP out of order, but pet shop is the most likely candidate, with Palace cinema being second (then Parisian Restaurant, I guess)

Thanks for the answers.

I may just order my wife's separate and have that sent to my office. The rest I can send home.

If anyone has a definitive answer on the promo stuff, I can hit the order button. :D

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
One thing I'm confused about is why does US lego prices stay approximately the same (despite occasional sets with weirdly high prices every year) but other countries prices fluctuate all over the place? Are they using the US dollar as a base or something and when other countries currency value goes up and down that reflects in lego prices? Or is it just that the US dollar stays around the same in value while other countries dont? I suck at economics

US consumers are price-sensitive. EU consumers are used to taking it up the ass.

Order separately, but you should be able to tell in your cart whether you're getting only one promo. I'm pretty sure it's one promo per order over $75, not one promo for every $75.

My orders have been coming in plain boxes with some initials that starts with L, but doesn't say Lego. I assume it's some Lego distribution center. The only time the Lego logo is visible on my orders is when it's a small parts order that comes in a white plastic pouch. My last order came in a couple of days via USPS.

Thanks for the answers.

I may just order my wife's separate and have that sent to my office. The rest I can send home.

If anyone has a definitive answer on the promo stuff, I can hit the order button. :D

You only get one promo per order even if you cross the threshold many times over. Silly, but I separate my orders all the time if I buy multiple bigger things.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I barely ever buy "normal" sets, but I've jumped on this one (and probably at close to MSRP, though I don't think I paid 49€) and I really like it. And I'm longing towards the vessel, too (if the sub would fit in the vessel, I would have already bought it)

The vessel is on Amazon Warehouse right now for $77 if you're interested. I'm waiting for it to hit $70 or so before I buy it, but thought I'd let you know in case that's a good enough price for you.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You only get one promo per order even if you cross the threshold many times over. Silly, but I separate my orders all the time if I buy multiple bigger things.

Order separately, but you should be able to tell in your cart whether you're getting only one promo. I'm pretty sure it's one promo per order over $75, not one promo for every $75.

My orders have been coming in plain boxes with some initials that starts with L, but doesn't say Lego. I assume it's some Lego distribution center. The only time the Lego logo is visible on my orders is when it's a small parts order that comes in a white plastic pouch. My last order came in a couple of days via USPS.

Perfect. Thanks guys.

Time to place a few orders...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom