• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How dare you even type such evil words.

Interesting point though, will Lego Friends ever wind up in Dimensions? Or is there just no hope of building that bridge?

Maaaan I haven't even opened my Starter Pack yet. I'm gonna have a very busy summer hehehehehe.

She looks like a minidoll.

Marceline_Stock_Night.png

Went shopping in the rain and picked up the VW Camper. Although I also got Mirror's Edge, so I guesd I'll be busy tonight.

Speaking of which, Faith needs a minifig.

How dare you even type such evil words.

Maaaan I haven't even opened my Starter Pack yet. I'm gonna have a very busy summer hehehehehe.

Wow, and i thought my backlog management was bad :p (actually it IS, i have a gajillion other games to play) you need to get on that asap! There is actually a crap ton to do in Dimensions so if you wait until the new content is here you will be hopelessly lost some day!

edit: speaking of Dimensions, i've been meaning to post this:

I have tried to recreate one of these croissant chairs you find in a bunch of hub worlds in Dimensions. They are using a round tile instead of a square one for a cushion and they also use all parts in brown but you get the idea:

gmxEOrR.jpg

Just to show that they actually have amazing little builds in their decor that you can (at least somewhat) easily recreate :) at the very least it gives you ideas on how to come up with neat stuff for seemingly mundane builds!

Osahi

So after my rant yesterday about the Disney figs.

I went to town today to get out of the house for a moment (I have lots of work, and am working weekends, so I could use a breather). Went to Fnac, the media store to see if I could pick up some DVD's

They had THREE full boxes of minifigs just standing there. They literaly just arrived yesterday.

I felt the bags for over an hour, and after each 5 or so I payed them, went to see what I got and which mistakes I had, and went back.

Managed to get all the ones I still needed, apart from Donald Duck (I grabbed a Daisy in stead :( ). I even managed to get two Peter Pans and an extra Captain Hook for my sister in law who is crazy about Peter Pan. I ordered a Donald second hand for 4 euro's, so my collection is complete

After my bad mood yesterday, today I'm so incredibly happy :D Man, I feel 5 again. And I love it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Not really feeling the Big Ben, but then again I am spoiled by modulars.

Also, looking at some of the Creator sets, I kinda wish some of them would have an upscaled version, like something along the lines of Cooper or Volkswagen. Like I'd like the limo or plane from the VIP set be upscaled, or even the yacht.

Koren

So after my rant yesterday about the Disney figs.

I went to town today to get out of the house for a moment (I have lots of work, and am working weekends, so I could use a breather). Went to Fnac, the media store to see if I could pick up some DVD's
Which FNAC does have them? I've never seen those in any FNAC (and I visited at least half a dozen recently), and in fact never any minifigures...

The only place that have Disney figures around here sells them in security boxes. Since I was missing several of the largers ones, I tried to choose "bigger" bags. I have an army of Buzz, now, but I still miss Ursula T_T

Also, Maleficient, Donald and Mr Incredible (but I don't mind the last one as much as the others)

Osahi

Which FNAC does have them? I've never seen those in any FNAC (and I visited at least half a dozen recently), and in fact never any minifigures...

The only place that have Disney figures around here sells them in security boxes. Since I was missing several of the largers ones, I tried to choose "bigger" bags. I have an army of Buzz, now, but I still miss Ursula T_T

Also, Maleficient, Donald and Mr Incredible (but I don't mind the last one as much as the others)

In Ghent, Belgium. They have a small Lego section (like all Fnacs do), and sell minifigures at the waiting lines at the counter. I saw and felt there first. When afterwards I went to the upper floor (where the toys and books are) to look for some comics, I saw the three full cases at the Lego section. They weren't actually in the shelves, but in an open delivery container that was left there for reasons I don't know.

I felt lots of Ursulas actually. She's easy to feel for. Malificent too, with her robes (which is a big sloped piece). But I also have loads of Buzz figures

I'm gonna sell my doubles on a second hand site for 4 euro's a piece. Only going to give away my double Minie to somebody I know will be very happy with it (my other sister in law :D)

ghostmind

Why? Production problems?

No reasons were provided.

None of the other upcoming LEGO movies were moved, so that leaves:

The LEGO Batman Movie (February 10, 2017)
The LEGO Ninjago Movie (September 22, 2017)
The LEGO Movie 2 (February 8, 2019)
The Billion Brick Race (May 24, 2019)

Maybe there will be further moves?

Koren

In Ghent, Belgium. They have a small Lego section (like all Fnacs do)
I swear, each time there's something interesting in FNACs, it's not in France ^_^ For a french shop, that's disappointing (there's a Lego section in virtually all FNACs here too, except smaller shops in train stations, but no love for minifigs).

I felt lots of Ursulas actually. She's easy to feel for. Malificent too, with her robes (which is a big sloped piece).
No doubt... I may try feeling the bags in one of the Lego stores (Paris or Lille, probably) if they're not against that.

Osahi

I swear, each time there's something interesting in FNACs, it's not in France ^_^ For a french shop, that's disappointing (there's a Lego section in virtually all FNACs here too, except smaller shops in train stations, but no love for minifigs).

No doubt... I may try feeling the bags in one of the Lego stores (Paris or Lille, probably) if they're not against that.

Must admit i didn't see figs in any other fnac as of yet. Maybe check the counters though, or ask.

And thzy don't opose feeling figs at all in Lego Stores.

By the way. Ghent (Gand) isn't that far from Lille (1 hour), but i can't say how long the figs will last in the Fnac

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Going to the LEGO Store in Chicago tomorrow. Excited! Been a while since I've been to one, and I'll be there for work so why not?

What should I look for in particular? Is their wall better than the average one??

I think it is still SNOT central for 1x1 and 1x4 SNOT bricks, but I am not positive. I don't hit the store often, as it is an hour away.

But, if you are there and they happen to have 2x2 tiles in dark grey, which is great for modular sidewalks, I would love a ton. I am trying to figure out my sidewalk on my current MOC as I keep doing trial and error for interior details.

I think it is still SNOT central for 1x1 and 1x4 SNOT bricks, but I am not positive. I don't hit the store often, as it is an hour away.

But, if you are there and they happen to have 2x2 tiles in dark grey, which is great for modular sidewalks, I would love a ton. I am trying to figure out my sidewalk on my current MOC as I keep doing trial and error for interior details.

Heh. I'm currently desperately trying to find about 20 1x2 tiles for my new modular, as I forgot to include them in my orders. Will have to scavenge from another build. I always need them, but I also don't want to order a ton of them since I have about 500 1x2 and 500 2x2 incoming from a bulk order.

Koren

After the incoming BL order, I'll need two 1x1 red plates to complete my Blue Grocer. It's annoying to be so close ^_^

I wonder whether I'll go for a Cafe Corner mod, after that, or a complete modular MOC.

Bricklink is addicting, but it can be quickly expensive :/

By the way. Ghent (Gand) isn't that far from Lille (1 hour)
I know, but I'm also 3.5h from Lille by bullet train ^_^ It's just that my parents live close to Lille, so I sometimes visit train stations in Lille, and the Lego store is 500m from both stations. I also don't drive, which doesn't help.

Lego stores wont stop you, just don't overdo it on asking for help
It's just I'm still reluctant to feel the bags in a shop. And I'm not that good, except that in this case, it should work well.

Osahi

I know, but I'm also 3.5h from Lille by bullet train ^_^ It's just that my parents live close to Lille, so I sometimes visit train stations in Lille, and the Lego store is 500m from both stations. I also don't drive, which doesn't help.

It's just I'm still reluctant to feel the bags in a shop. And I'm not that good, except that in this case, it should work well.

There is a direct train from Lille-Flandres too :D Make a weekend out of it, Gand is a beautiful city. Come during our 10-days city festival (Gentse Feesten) in july (think it starts from the 15th or the 16th, untill 25 or 26). Free music, street theater, events and lots of beer!

And I get your feeling about feeling. I hate to do it too (especially as in Fnac it's at the counter, so when there is no one else the cashiers are looking at you :p). But you have to set your shame aside. In Lego stores it is really not frowned upon by the way. Yesterday I feared I would be singled out by the security when I felt the bags upstairs, because I was just under a security cam and I could imagine them think I was making some bags dissapear in my pockets.

And I found the Disney figures really hard to feel, more so than the usual series. I didn't blind grab yesterday, and I had 8 doubles :p

Just remember that as well as feeling for the one you're looking for, you can also feel for the ones you're not looking for, to rule those out. So try and have a decent idea of the parts/features for every minifig in the series.

If you can go from "that might be Ursula" to "that's definitely not Ursula" on a bunch of figs you can really cut down the potential options.

After the incoming BL order, I'll need two 1x1 red plates to complete my Blue Grocer. It's annoying to be so close ^_^

I wonder whether I'll go for a Cafe Corner mod, after that, or a complete modular MOC.

Bricklink is addicting, but it can be quickly expensive :/

The shipping from having to do so many separate orders adds up quickly.

Koren

There is a direct train from Lille-Flandres too :D Make a weekend out of it, Gand is a beautiful city.
I know it's a nice city, I've been there several times with my parents some time ago. I haven't paid attention to trains from Lille, I'll think about going there again...

Yesterday I feared I would be singled out by the security when I felt the bags upstairs, because I was just under a security cam and I could imagine them think I was making some bags dissapear in my pockets.
I've done it in my supermarket which had the monster series (and at 2€, too, great price). I tried to grab a couple each time I visited, but I felt customers looking at me, and I'm not sure what the people behind the cams thought...

And I found the Disney figures really hard to feel, more so than the usual series. I didn't blind grab yesterday, and I had 8 doubles :p
I bought them blind, but tried to feel them at home, I don't find them too difficult. With enough time and no shame involved, I was right on all of them (or so I think, there's a couple I haven't opened because I'm sure it's a double I especially don't want, I'll try to exchange them). Stress doesn't help ^_^

Just remember that as well as feeling for the one you're looking for, you can also feel for the ones you're not looking for, to rule those out. So try and have a decent idea of the parts/features for every minifig in the series.
Thanks for the suggestion... In fact, that's one of the reasons I felt the bags at home.

The shipping from having to do so many separate orders adds up quickly.
That's true, but I did it in 4 orders, and I could have done it in 3 if I hadn't made a couple stupid mistakes (and even 2 if I didn't wanted some rare pieces like the cat and the viking tile), with virtually no substitutions except the sand green->sand blue and dark green->dark blue. The largest one being from my own country, too.

So it wasn't really bad... especially for a first. And I managed to grab several pieces for other projects (including a bunch of dark red plates/wings to transform the USC tie into an UCS tie/in with 181th colors)

To be fair, that was with several parts coming from a couple Lego store walls, and parts from a Pet shop (for sand blue especially), but I'm pretty sure those were also available in the shops I used, just a bit pricier than wall prices. And I've yet to settle on a color for the curtains, dark red is a bit too expensive for me, and I'm not sure what would be a nice replacement...

And that was with the old interface, and without help from software (that exists). It's probably easier to reduce the number of orders now. Wanted lists are great, and even easier to manage/use now.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I'll report back later! :)

Ryuuroden

The two suburban stores had sand green 1x4 plates, 1x2 plates, 1x2 tile, 1x1 plates with clip on top, 1x1 brick with stud on side, and telescope pieces, all sand green. They also had 2x2 light blue grey and tan tiles, 1x1 dark bluish grey. All of it is gone now due to all the convention displayers

The two suburban stores had sand green 1x4 plates, 1x2 plates, 1x2 tile, 1x1 plates with clip on top, 1x1 brick with stud on side, and telescope pieces, all sand green. They also had 2x2 light blue grey and tan tiles, 1x1 dark bluish grey. All of it is gone now due to all the convention displayers
Jesus. That sounds like a great haul. Might make a trek this week to Nashville then to see if they have that kind of stuff.

Koren

I wish Wall of Bricks would be reliable for wall contents (and cover more lego stores), that would be really handy.

I've yet to see dark bluish gray 2x2 tiles on any wall. Do they ever have this?

I wish Wall of Bricks would be reliable for wall contents (and cover more lego stores), that would be really handy.

I've yet to see dark bluish gray 2x2 tiles on any wall. Do they ever have this?

I dont frequent the stores often due to distance, but I have never seen the dark 2x2 tiles. Over the years I have stocked up on tons of orange, red, yellow, light grey, and dark tan ones though. I do want more of dark tan eventually.
I do need to bump up on 1x1 and 1x2 tiles though. A few years ago got tons of 1x8 white tiles though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished Big Ben.

It's gorgeous, but it's a tedious build. There aren't many interesting build techniques and the few there are get old after you do it for the billionth time. A few of the techniques (notably one near the water edge of the building base) seemed to have no purpose to the build, other than "look how you can do this".

Top of the tower was interesting to build though.

Evil Evil Designers. Hidden within the build are some clear 1x2 plates. The set comes with a lot of dark tinted-clear 1x2 plates. There are three non-tinted clear pieces, in a completely non-visible location and it's nearly impossible to differentiate them in the instructions.

Finally built the Rumble Blade last night. While a little smaller than I expected, what a cool set, amazing how they worked in all the separate parts into a single vehicle that doesn't look awful. I'm ready for summer Nexo now, need that castle!

Finally built the Rumble Blade last night. While a little smaller than I expected, what a cool set, amazing how they worked in all the separate parts into a single vehicle that doesn't look awful. I'm ready for summer Nexo now, need that castle!

I saw the castle in person and was a little underwhelmed after being hyped up by it from pics.. It looked much smaller than i anticipated. Also, i realized i already have the most appealing figs from other sets, except for the scurriers.

Ryuuroden

Jesus. That sounds like a great haul. Might make a trek this week to Nashville then to see if they have that kind of stuff.

I talked to the store manager at Northbrook. He made a special request for all the statue of liberty New York brick wall pieces because of brickworld. They also had sand green 1x1 bricks, sand green 2x2 curved slope, and sand green 1x2 and 1x4 plates. They still have 1x1 telescopes and 1x1 plates with clip on top in sand green.

I built the Camper with the help of a friend today. Such a nice build, with small details everywhere and barely any downtime. I love the details inside, especially the folding bed.

There's just one problem - stickers. Nevermind the VW logo - how the hell are you supposed to get the white stripes straight on the front and back windows? I had to reapply them several times so they're all smudged up :/

Either way, I'm excited for the Beetle now, and my old crew of Technic figures fit perfectly in this so they should be fine in that too. I'm assuming Belville figures should also work.

Just came up with a very fun use of Mixels with my daughter...Mixel Races! If you have a Lego kid in your life I highly recommend it.

Just take the two Mixels out of the set that don't have the little black dude in 'em (if you wanted to grant a slight handicap, you could give your kid the pack with the little guy and not require them to build it to win). Dump the interior bag simultaneously and build as fast as you can. Pretty simple but quite fun. We have a large backlog of Mixels and we plan on doing this with all of them...and then maybe Maxel races, too. :)

I won but it was really close. She finished less than a minute behind me.

Incidentally the Pirate Mixels might be my favorite set yet. All three of them are great.

Ryuuroden

I'll have to take a picture of my haul from brickworld this year when I get home. I got enough brick from the PaB wall and from fill a gallon bag to the brim with any used Lego you want from like 10 bins, that I was able to fill an entire 16 inch by 16 inch by 16 inch box. 22 cups from the walls combined between two stores. Pretty happy the statue of liberty parts were sold here. If anyone here lives in the new York area near a store that sells the statue of liberty, I would like to request purchase of sand green plates and tiles. I have stuff to trade or I can pay. I want to use them for steampunk themed builds.

Ponn

Banned
Advice appreciated guys

Mystery Machine is £18 on Amazon UK - worthwhile set? Enjoyed the mansion and the Lighthouse but the stickers scare me

Yes, if you have the mansion and Lighthouse i'm flabbergasted you don't already have the Mystery Machine. It's the iconic Scooby Doo set and it was a good price already at msrp. Plus its the only way to get Fred. Yes there are tons of stickers just take your time and my suggestion for the all important side stickers with the name is to put them on after you have the sides built up. It makes it easier to make sure they are lined up right.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ended up going out for food and to the beercade last night, so LEGO today after my meeting! Definitely picking up he Maze to complete in my hotel room, ha.

Osahi

Finally got my bobble-head Wall-E fixed as my parts came in the mail today. It baffles me they didn't use the big ball joint from the start...

Are 2x2 tiles a thing at PABs now? I haven't gone since I did my SNOT run cuz it is a hassle to drive to that mall.

Ponn

Banned
I don't usually like promoting youtubers but someone got ahold of the new ghostbusters set early and did a review of it. They loved it. I gotta agree (although I was already excited for the set) there is a lot to love in this set. Those individual and unique fig prints, those hair molds and the Ecto-1 build are all very good stuff. I may have to pick this up in july and get that free Knights promo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom