• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So TRU has 20% off most 2015 SW sets, and I'm trying to pick one to get but am having difficulty. There is the Imperial Troop Transporter, Poes XWing, and the Special Forces Tie....thoughts?

What's the quality and track record for AWD sets?
I've ordered many sets from awd with no issues. Only once recently a set didn't have the stickers (who cares) and they gave me a 30% refund. I only buy "very good" in damaged original box, which so far has always meant the original packaging inside is intact. Sometimes the box looks fine too, but mostly it means the box is pretty banged up. Maybe 10% of the time the box was opened and taped up but usually it's still got the original seal, but may have tears in other parts. I throw my boxes away anyway.

Those 3 are in my backlog as well :(

I'd build em but...where to put them after they're done? At some point you just run out of space to display sets since i usually don't break a set down once i built and like it.
Exactly. I will build Spaceship x3, Ecto, and BPJ when I want a treat, but the bigger sets are probably going to be saved for a long time.

Bii

Anyone ordered from Lego shop online recently and have a code for B1G1 Legoland ticket that you're not using? If so, I would be willing to use/take it. I plan on going to Legoland again in a month and wanted to see if anyone isn't using it.

Thanks in advance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone ordered from Lego shop online recently and have a code for B1G1 Legoland ticket that you're not using? If so, I would be willing to use/take it. I plan on going to Legoland again in a month and wanted to see if anyone isn't using it.

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 coming tomorrow I can give you.

ghostmind

August calendar:

mxbq3u0.jpg

WdyciDP.jpg

VIP set is 71040 DisneyWorld Cinderella Castle (rumored at $400)

Cannot wait to see what it looks like. I'm curious as to the scale they'll attempt to recreate it at.

The castle itself is slightly under 200 feet tall, so they couldn't attempt to make it the same height as the recent Big Ben set.

TheFuzz

$400 is just too much for me. I'm sure it'll be worth it, but that's beyond my plastic toy budget for a single purchase. Hopefully it'll be closer to $250.

Ponn

Banned
My wife bought me this yesterday!

75902-mystery-machine-600x401.jpg

For 20$ I think it's a pretty cool set. First set I build with my daughter too!

Congrats, that is a really fun set to build and for you two to play with after. Just don't panic with the stickers and take your time, everything will be awesome.

$400 is just too much for me. I'm sure it'll be worth it, but that's beyond my plastic toy budget for a single purchase. Hopefully it'll be closer to $250.

We've had price rumors that have been wrong before. I'm kinda interested in seeing what a $400 caste would like like though. At that price range it needs to be over 4000 pieces to avoid the anti-hype the Helicarrier got it for its price vs piece ratio. I would still be interest if it was $400 at 3000 piece IF it had a Death Star-like plethora of minifigs accompanying it.

Jimbro72

VIP set is 71040 DisneyWorld Cinderella Castle (rumored at $400)

Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'll likely not be getting it right away as I just received my semi annual large purchase and will be holding off on any large set purchases for several more months.

It's funny how that price barrier just stops people. I will easily spend $500 over several sets, without worrying about spreading it out if it happens that sales come up or I just want a set now. But I never bought Best Star because it's too expensive. And I likely won't buy the new one if it's in that range.

Jimbro72

It's funny how that price barrier just stops people. I will easily spend $500 over several sets, without worrying about spreading it out if it happens that sales come up or I just want a set now. But I never bought Best Star because it's too expensive. And I likely won't buy the new one if it's in that range.

Well, the price isn't stopping me so much as just waiting to get it for less than retail. I'm not fond of paying full retail for sets if I can help it. I spend more than enough on LEGO during a year that I need to try to maximize savings as even getting an avg. of 20% off everything over the course of a year can save me $1000+.

It's probably perceived value, you think $500 for many many sets VS $500 for one set and you balk. I do it all the time so at least that's my interpretation of it heheh

Ponn

Banned
Watched Jangs review of the Killer Croc set. He immediately removed that stupid Cap'n Boomerang perch from the Croc vehicle echoing my sentiment when I first saw that thing how absolutely silly that was and completely out of place. He wasn't totally down on the set, figs are all great, but he points out the problems these Batman sets have been having for awhile now, at least imho, with this set. Incomplete looking, haphazard vehicles with many "what the hell were they thinking" moments. Looking at those Spidey sets and these Batman sets going back to that damn Batwing set from last year and its like night and day with the designers. These Batman sets have looked like they were literally thrown together in a half hour and most not finished. I'm probably going to pick that set up still because I see potential in that Bat-Tank but it needs to be modded to look better. I'm thinking of finding a way to keep it in that ram position without the ram sticking out and back in its more original pose while leaving those front tracks in their back position. I think that would look for an overall better model. I can steal parts from my Joker Steamroller batwing since thats never going on display.

I _finally_ had the opportunity to get back to a store in the middle of nowhere that I visited three years ago. They had a bunch of early SW planets, some Ninjago spinners and Chima racers, but no older major sets. However, they still had a bunch of various CMF, including several series 3 and 5. I asked and got a 10% discount and ended up getting all 20 remaining series 3 and 5 series 5.

Hopefully I get an elf or two, but there's a few others there I'd like.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone with the new millennium falcon willing to share some pictures and how happy are people with it?

I searched the thread but the term millennium falcon is mentioned so often...

Koren

And I get your feeling about feeling. I hate to do it too (especially as in Fnac it's at the counter, so when there is no one else the cashiers are looking at you :p). But you have to set your shame aside. In Lego stores it is really not frowned upon by the way.
Well, Lego stores solved the problem differently... I visited the Paris one tuesday, they simply hadn't a single minifig (of any series).

Also, this Technic Porsche is huge. I somehow expected something smaller from the pics. Even less interested now, it's awfully difficult to display it :/

Koren

I'd really like to understand the appeal of this set, but I fear I won't unless I actually buy and build it (and even in that case...)

I'd really like to understand the appeal of this set, but I fear I won't unless I actually buy and build it (and even in that case...)
It is ugly in pics, and is kinda ugly in person. But the build is just so good. SNOT coming out everywhere, stuff going in upside down, etc. It is just a wonderfully realized build.

It may not look like much, but its got it where it counts.

Ryuuroden

Here's some photos from the collaborative Great Ball Contraption my LUG did for Brickworld. My GBC module unfortunately only has a couple pictures and it got demo'd for "science" before I was able to get more pictures. It actually had different visuals all around but at least you will be able to get some idea of it from the pictures. The way my LUG does GBC builds is we add a theme to it and build around and into the modules so that it is even more interesting to look at while the balls are being moved around the display.

GBC Collaboration Overview by Brendan M, on Flickr

GBC Collaboration 2 by Brendan M, on Flickr

GBC Collaboration 3 by Brendan M, on Flickr

GBC Collaboration 8 by Brendan M, on Flickr

GBC Collaboration Monkeys on Bikes by Brendan M, on Flickr

GBC Collaboration 6 by Brendan M, on Flickr

And here is a closeup of my contribution.

Close-up of my GBC Module by Brendan M, on Flickr

ghostmind

Apparently the SDCC minifigs this year are Captain America (Steve Rogers) in his new costume, and the Atom from the CW.

Via Sir Gareth on Eurobricks:

BAPK364.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Apparently the SDCC minifigs this year are Captain America (Steve Rogers) in his new costume, and the Atom from the CW.

Via Sir Gareth on Eurobricks:

BAPK364.jpg

Hmmmmm...I'm starting to wonder if those out of nowhere Atom and
Hail Hydra
Cap bootleg figs that just came out were taken from these that they somehow got their hands on early.

NysGAF

I don't have to worry about missing out on Detective's Office just because it's backordered, right? It's not going away anytime soon... right?

It is ugly in pics, and is kinda ugly in person. But the build is just so good. SNOT coming out everywhere, stuff going in upside down, etc. It is just a wonderfully realized build.

It may not look like much, but its got it where it counts.

What PhoncipleBone is trying to say is that it's the personality that matters more than the looks.

Koren, you can always just read the instructions. :) Not quite the same. Or if you have a lot of pieces you may be able to make a multicolored version.

What PhoncipleBone is trying to say is that it's the personality that matters more than the looks.

Koren, you can always just read the instructions. :) Not quite the same. Or if you have a lot of pieces you may be able to make a multicolored version.
I would hope that at least one person got the reference in my post...

There is a short video in the Flickr album.

The build was done over the last month but it was never fully combined till the convention where we put it together in about 6 hours.

Was gonna say a GBC without video is like watching a basketball game via photos.

Amazing work!

The best part I like is how it was integrated into actual MOCs as opposed to the usual mechanical modular GBC's I'm used to seeing. Saw the first photo and thought, "Where is the GBC? It's photos of some MOC scene.".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom