• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As i clean up and MOC (thus, creating a mess in the place of the one I cleaned up), I knew I needed to update my storage and organization to make things easier. So, tomorrow I will be moving most things from the Stanley Sortmasters into these new Sterilite bins. The drawers are 12"x12", and fit perfectly in the bookcase I have been keeping the Sortmasters. I was trying to find cups or dividers to fit in them, and what do ya know...

The Ziploc brand (and only the ziploc brand it seems) fit eerily perfectly in the 12x12 drawers. And there is also just enough clearance to put the lids on each container and still close the drawer if I ever move again.

Good news, it was relatively cheap considering. Each of the set of 3 drawers was $13. The ziploc food containers were like $2-3 a pack. They come in packs of 4 big squares, 5 rectangles, or 8 tiny squares.

It freaks me out a small bit at how well they actually fit in the drawers, almost like it was intentional.

Oh yeah, the Ghostbusters car. I'm pretty sure I will have to buy that right away on the 1st, and then the VW on the 15th.

Hopefully there's at least some nice promos to soften the blow.

TheFuzz

As i clean up and MOC (thus, creating a mess in the place of the one I cleaned up), I knew I needed to update my storage and organization to make things easier. So, tomorrow I will be moving most things from the Stanley Sortmasters into these new Sterilite bins.

The Ziploc brand (and only the ziploc brand it seems) fit eerily perfectly in the 12x12 drawers. And there is also just enough clearance to put the lids on each container and still close the drawer if I ever move again.

Good news, it was relatively cheap considering. Each of the set of 3 drawers was $13. The ziploc food containers were like $2-3 a pack. They come in packs of 4 big squares, 5 rectangles, or 8 tiny squares.

It freaks me out a small bit at how well they actually fit in the drawers, almost like it was intentional.

Ok, this is awesome. I just recently switched over to these same sterilite containers and this ziploc thing will be perfect. Thanks Phon!

Fishlake

I was out searching for a graduation present for my brother but instead got all the pirate mixels Tuth and Umarak the Destroyer. =)

My brother and sister are going to the dentist Thursday so I'll see if they can show him Tuth. It is just so cool and will make a great restroom decoration near the tooth brushes.

Ponn

Banned
I played the Lego Force Awakens demo and it was alright. It feels like a Star Wars game and the Lego humor is rampant and funny. The flight section while neat wasn't anything to write home about. There were a couple infuriating spots par for the course for a Lego game where you just didn't know what to do or trigger and ended up being something really dumb or in one case a "HOW IN THE HELL WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT??!!" instance. I'm not sure, I have it preordered at Amazon, get some nice preorder bonuses, exclusive fig and the season pass all with that nice Prime discount but i'm feeling like i'm starting to get burnt out on Lego games. I'm not sure if Star Wars is going to be enough to freshen it up for me or not.

Fishlake

I can't tell you how much I like Mixels.

If Bionicle goes away son and Mixels stay around I'll have plenty of pose-able figures to choose from still.

The pirates have tons of personality.

Wet - did you see this?

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/06/19/i-want-to-believe/

The UFO poster and pencils are a nice touch.

kTKwrGi.png

LEGO Ideas has updated its guidelines a bit. Highlights include a part limit (3,000pcs) and restrictions on stuff like weapons.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/66?platform=hootsuite

Probably make a lot of sense, removing sets that would never have passed review.

Took long enough to put a limit on pieces. I don't think many people thought any of those huge builds would ever pass. Hopeful they would pass maybe, but realistically no.

3,000pcs is still a lot. Maybe if something that big passes, they will scale it down. Well, at least with the new guideline a $300 LEGO Ideas set may be possible.

Wet - did you see this?

http://www.brothers-brick.com/2016/06/19/i-want-to-believe/

The UFO poster and pencils are a nice touch.

I like Wet's version better. That one is is nice, but office scale seems off to me.
The other builder gets big props for brick built poster.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Heh, I did a similar thing for my X-Files moc when it came to the pencils (however my method isn't SNOT - it's hands holding a modified 1x2 w/bar).

I'd Adapted Wetwired's far superior design for the office, though (and his figs, save for Skinner - who is Harry Potter with the scar rubbed off)

lMoUkBN.jpg

That's a brilliant idea for Skinner.

For those of you that picked up the 2016 LEGO calendar, here is the Nexo Knights free minifig for July:

Thanks for the reminder that these exist! I think I forgot to pick up a couple of the earlier promos (was given multiple calendars).

I totally gapped on the new fountain promo too - not sure if stores still have stock, but I may check my local store on Thursday to see. That new Creator Camper is calling to me.

Edit: It really feels like TLG felt they had to "do something special" for the promo so they went with absurd packaging. I'm going full internet CBG here but some side-leg printing would be nice. The figs that have it look terrific.I'm presuming there isn't any shoulder printing either.

wetwired

Heh, I did a similar thing for my X-Files moc when it came to the pencils (however my method isn't SNOT - it's hands holding a modified 1x2 w/bar).

I'd Adapted Wetwired's far superior design for the office, though (and his figs, save for Skinner - who is Harry Potter with the scar rubbed off)

lMoUkBN.jpg

Skinner looks good, the only thing that has stopped me making a custom of him is figuring out how to print his hair (what's left of it) on the sides

For those of you that picked up the 2016 LEGO calendar, here is the Nexo Knights free minifig for July:

Meh. I'd rather have more accessories that that pricey and nice looking packaging. It's a nice minifig and definitely good for someone that wants to build a good guy Nexo army. I have 3 coupons and it's free so I'll pick them up.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So of the currently available creator and city sets, does anyone care to share a top 3? I've already gone overboard, but why not go even more into the deep end? Ha

Ponn

Banned
So of the currently available creator and city sets, does anyone care to share a top 3? I've already gone overboard, but why not go even more into the deep end? Ha

Technically Modulars are part of Creator line which can really take up everyone's list. so Ignoring modulars for me.

1)
It's a port-a-potty, I mean come on.

2)
Ferris Wheel

3)
Park Animals
Because I love the fuzzy wuzzy Lego animals.

TheFuzz

Vacation Getaways. All three builds. There's your top 3.

ok fine. Vacation Getaways, Blue Power Jet, Corner Deli

If you're talking Creator Expert then I'll have to amend my answer to Parisian, VC, and Detectives Office.

Excluding Creator Expert stuff, which is kinda cheating:

Vacation Getaways
Blue Power Jet
Park Animals

Bonus if you want minifigs:
Fun in the Park: City People Pack

Seriously, I cannot overstate just how good Vacation Getaways is. Just about everyone on here that has gotten it seems to feel the same way (not trying to speak for others). Definitely one of the best sets of the year, and maybe last few years.

EDIT: And TheFuzz showing the love for Blue Power Jet as well. Another set that came out of nowhere to blow me away. Same designer as Vacation Getaways as well. That man has built a very, very strong resume for sets very quickly.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, in terms of expert...All of the shit is legit and wil be bought. I was thinking smaller sets.

Thanks so much for the info. Time to spend more money!

Nicoga, BPJ has come up multiple times on awd for around $45 in the last couple months, so you should be able to grab it cheap. I've had it in my cart many times, just needed LEGO GAF to push me at the right time.

Technically Modulars are part of Creator line which can really take up everyone's list. so Ignoring modulars for me.

1)
It's a port-a-potty, I mean come on.

2)
Ferris Wheel

3)
Park Animals
Because I love the fuzzy wuzzy Lego animals.

I've only got the first two but they are both fantastic. The port-a-potty set gets played with far more than expected; my kids love it.

My backlog is only a shame on me. It'll be in good company with the Haunted House, UCS Imperial Shuttle, UCS Slave I, Spaceship x3,
Ecto-1 sorry wetwired

Those 3 are in my backlog as well :(

I'd build em but...where to put them after they're done? At some point you just run out of space to display sets since i usually don't break a set down once i built and like it.

Congrats to Ninge on winning MOC contest.

As for backlogs, I have some dark secrets on sets in my backlog. I'm too ashamed to mention some of the sets I have never built yet.

I'm in love with the following simple but totally awesome recent Creator sets:

31053: Treehouse Adventures

31050: Corner Deli

31038: Changing Seasons

And I can't just not post this; I also really love this set - it has incredibly nice, almost as engaging (and in one case even better looking) alternate builds:

31025-1: Mountain Hut

ghostmind

As per the BrickFan, we should be seeing some reveals from the LEGO Batman Movie, the LEGO Ninjago Movie, and the Adventure Time Ideas set as soon as today, at the 2016 Licensing Expo.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
What's the quality and track record for AWD sets?

Also, anyone have a train setup worth sharing? I may buy one...But I'm concerned with track availability and layout ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom