• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just in time for Brexit that new lego big ben build is due to arrive today.

will be building it with younger son who has displayed a talent for lego kits. Its been a long time and my childhood was full of lego but not kits, just bricks and base plates. Personally I'm not sold on custom lego bricks of infinite varieties I always appreciated lego for being minecraft in that you can make anything with just a few square blocks in a few colors. One of the appeals of this big ben kit is the sheer number of bricks that are mostly the same included instead of a huge number of wacky shapes that don't look as right outside the kit they are designed for. Oh sorry this turned into a bit of a rant. (oh wait that makes me a AFOL Lego Purist I guess, is there a level below that? a lego purist fundamentalist?. Sorry. has all been said before).

ah I see I am pinned here: http://thebrickblogger.com/2015/04/all-basic-lego-bricks-in-my-day-is-it-true/

however, my childhood lego WAS all basic bricks and I hated the custom ones that turned up like little trees and even wheels and stuff :) . As an adult I'm more interested in more complex things hence Big Ben but if I had the time and various other barriers, I'd prefer a roomful of white bricks in 4 sizes and thats it. In fact there was a lego thing at an museum recently where it was exactly that. About a ton of small white bricks and nothing else. The amazing variety of things kids and adults built with just those lol.

Several days of redoing storage and organization. Feels good, man. But still waiting for delivery of the final two stack-on sorters to finish the current set up. LEGO room is looking better, and it will be easier to sort sets and to MOC.

It was a good thing I went through and moved stuff to new bins, as it let me take a mental inventory of just about everything I have. Makes plotting out the rest of my current MOC much easier, and knowing some of my initial ideas are feasible.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Is an Lego Expert/Fan from Germany here? My Mother is moving and I've a bucket load of Lego in her basement and I've not idea what all that stuff is..maybe someone would be willing to help identify stuff or tell me how to best sell it
or maybe wants to buy it :D
. I'd be really happy about that.

Also I need help making a decision, I've star wars fever and I can either buy the
75093 Death Star Final Duel
or
75105 - Star Wars Millennium Falcon

What would you buy? I like 'em both so I need someone to help me settle on one decision >> it will sit on my computer desk besides 75099 - Star Wars Rey's Speeder

teeny

Is an Lego Expert/Fan from Germany here? My Mother is moving and I've a bucket load of Lego in her basement and I've not idea what all that stuff is..maybe someone would be willing to help identify stuff or tell me how to best sell it

Also I need help making a decision, I've star wars fever and I can either buy the
or

What would you buy? I like 'em both so I need someone to help me settle on one decision >> it will sit on my computer desk besides 75099 - Star Wars Rey's Speeder

Depends, do you like models or play sets? I made the decision about a year in only to go for vehicles, buildings or similar display pieces (it's something I struggle with ;) ). With that view, I'd go for the Falcon. It looks a more interesting build than the Final Duel, displays better than a play set and will be fun to just fly around.

That said, it's a personal preference.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Depends, do you like models or play sets? I made the decision about a year in only to go for vehicles, buildings or similar display pieces (it's something I struggle with ;) ). With that view, I'd go for the Falcon. It looks a more interesting build than the Final Duel, displays better than a play set and will be fun to just fly around.

That said, it's a personal preference.

play sets are something I'm actually not that much interested in..it's just that the final duel is such an important part of star wars that I find it interesting. But you're probably right with your approach and maybe I should do the same and stick to the models I find interesting. I mean I've only Rey's speeder so far and I don't intend to buy a crazy amount of lego. But a the Falcon, or a new Death-star are something I want :D. Also I think it will look better on my desk.

teeny

play sets are something I'm actually not that much interested in..it's just that the final duel is such an important part of star wars that I find it interesting. But you're probably right with your approach and maybe I should do the same and stick to the models I find interesting. I mean I've only Rey's speeder so far and I don't intend to buy a crazy amount of lego. But a the Falcon, or a new Death-star are something I want :D.

No one ever has that intention. Then, all of a sudden...

With few exceptions, I've been disappointed with most play sets which is why I made the decision I did. For minifigures, I've taken to buying them second hand if they come in a set I don't particularly want.

Osahi

Got my Lego Star Wars TFA copy a day early.

Minifig from the LE is in a polybag. Haven't opened it yet. Probably not something that will be sought after I guess, allthough the printing on the body is different...

Millennium Falcon is huge though. Might be worth taking into account.

As for the unique parts discussion, any part is generic when you have enough of them :D

R-User!

or

Falcon all day.

Edit: Hey ghostmind, any word on a catalogue recently floating around out there? I had heard there was something out and about but couldn't find anything myself.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
WZVQoEY.jpg

thanks to a "give us 2 games and pay 9,99€ for a game" thing @ gamestop. Can't wait to open it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Germany gets 4 polybags? Damn. It's Lego valhalla there, considering you have the lowest prices too

but with what do I start?

I really thought the premium edition is world wide..>.< sorry :'/

Fake Edit: ordered the millennium falcon from amazon @115&#8364;

Edit: pictures!

I love that kylos shuttle has a little boarding ramp

Does anyone know what the unlock code on finn's polybag is for?

or

Take photos of the parts and post a link here. Some of us like to play guess that set game.

- Chances are they won't make a set like that for a very long time.

75105 Star Wars Millennium Falcon
- Considering this ship will be in future episodes, I believe it will have a long shelf life or will at least be remade again much sooner.
- Possibly will have a higher appreciation value than 75093 Final Duel. The previous Millennium Falcon set was just a couple years ago and is $190 for a sealed new set on Bricklink. Used complete sets can be found for under MSRP. Listings of 7965 Millennium Falcon

Millennium Falcon is huge though. Might be worth taking into account.

As for the unique parts discussion, any part is generic when you have enough of them :D

I missed this discussion of generic parts. Secondary check if a part is generic if you don't have that part is pricing on Bricklink is really low.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Take photos of the parts and post a link here. Some of us like to play guess that set game.

- Chances are they won't make a set like that for a very long time.

75105 Star Wars Millennium Falcon
- Considering this ship will be in future episodes, I believe it will have a long shelf life or will at least be remade again much sooner.
- Possibly will have a higher appreciation value than 75093 Final Duel. The previous Millennium Falcon set was just a couple years ago and is $190 for a sealed new set on Bricklink. Used complete sets can be found for under MSRP. Listings of 7965 Millennium Falcon

Thank you ^_^ I ordered the Falcon. Fiancée also wanted it after I told her about it
And I'll make pictures next week on saturday, so you can expect a guessing game on sunday next week.

Edit: Oh god damn those polybags, I now fell in a hole of star wars mini figures in polybags and I want them all, they look amazing for their size. But it seems all of them are not really sold at amazon and they are usually from a special promotion? damn.

Obviously the tile work and surrounding areas aren't done yet, but I am happy with the concession stand for my theater right now. I even have cleaning supplies under one of the counters.

And I made the hood (with underside heating element) removable to set things and get better pics, but I am very happy at how compact and tiny I was able to get the pretzel spinner and hot dog roller.
That hot dog roller took hours and hours spread over a week or so to get that compact and connect securely. Then more hours figuring out how to compact that and the pretzels into a tiny enough space and let them have enough room to actually spin around freely.
Hell, took an hour or so tonight just to get the straw dispenser down to a tiny enough size.

The main counter with candy display, registers, and coolers for bottled water. Again, no floor tiles for the carpeting or tile yet.

The trick now is figuring out (with the parts available) a terrible and ugly enough pattern for the carpet in the theater lobby.

Edit:

Thinking that is a hideous enough pattern for a theater lobby.

Edit 2:

Tile and hideous carpet ready. The exposed studs are for random patrons later.

Osahi

Finally got the Disney MF series complete, as I picked up Donald at a (pretty) local unofficial Lego store. Great store too. A bit bigger then the official one in Antwerp, and with some older sets in stock. (Though most of their shelves are reserved for the new stuff) Had some builds out too, including some old Modulars that look magnificent (Town Hall and Green Grocer). Too bad I jumped in late in the Modular-game.

Saw the Resistance Troop Transporter built for the first time too. Looks way better in person then on pictures, so I'm tempted to grab it

Finally got the Disney MF series complete, as I picked up Donald at a (pretty) local unofficial Lego store. Great store too. A bit bigger then the official one in Antwerp, and with some older sets in stock. (Though most of their shelves are reserved for the new stuff) Had some builds out too, including some old Modulars that look magnificent (Town Hall and Green Grocer). Too bad I jumped in late in the Modular-game.

Saw the Resistance Troop Transporter built for the first time too. Looks way better in person then on pictures, so I'm tempted to grab it

GREEN GROCER!?!!? Unless it's like 500€ or more, grab it immediately!

Osahi

GREEN GROCER!?!!? Unless it's like 500€ or more, grab it immediately!

It was built in a glass case with other modulars. I'm pretty sure it wasn't on sale. (It is not on their website anyway). They had the Town Hall on sale though, but didn't look at the price (the box was also in a glass case)

So I'm going to Houston next weekend for a work trip, and decided that since I've never been to a LEGO Store to go to the one there. Thinking of getting something big like the UCS Sandcrawler, since I already have the other more recent UCS Star Wars sets. Any suggestions?

Woorloog

Banned
A friend bought me the Blue Power Jet as a late birthday gift.
Damn awesome set! Loved how the wings are connected to the main body and built.
My only easily available minifigs were Poe Dameron and that other Resistance Pilot so they're now crewing the jet.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It has arrived.
My wife is a massive Star Wars nut now, so I knew it was going to happen. Even if they release a new one later this year, I'll just have two Death Stars.

Dpd9EO8yzOFu8R5BQps6QtNBtb6CXcQLIAHKKpmx9z9NTVbNJ1hMa3qFWnDctLWf_TKAkSWJlpe84R1K6Qbo405PY5n5QrAmwVaa2kVik_Lx3DdLErppTVEnfelTvSMt8iiYednOl3VBHZ_HBGPdSHvUIJYwPqJPGEUl3RumP5VVXmw1tROnoL0LHMe5H5FrahA1CvAm2PW6Fw-TmMAJn4Uw6TsV37sRaT_pDLLetVrh9q_Qnfm61MzisXDRAqmtijuk4-Gs1pLmEdh-C-HzOwr-59B-yBX8PqbJvtbcXUFhTanNgUv1Z5O7e0xRzjOFkC2KgAxJfNaGGRxfiGXEgauY8Yzk0Cr1YEkHUjADH3ohKUz2Msi5eAuTPYOaXGswcYy3nomTYQhDTMDUMvYT_Bw7SiEa2yau-tybmNIJZ6VEdmXDBP0Y6wmvndv5q-hoRJz9Kj-Tuzs7mkU3RA3Mspbx0stkTdxGQrTxMbFb_EmgVPZvtYlFRq4PPBEYJ_n84-Z6Q30tLw_0aTMUzHjRwuvx_5xqb6AJs19w42pLheRjOF8kiKSOK7nqglaZjUx1bQkAoJPGz0Rfi5mBIrXPt-Y2gQ4zjIub=w1311-h983-no

It has arrived.
My wife is a massive Star Wars nut now, so I knew it was going to happen. Even if they release a new one later this year, I'll just have two Death Stars.

Dpd9EO8yzOFu8R5BQps6QtNBtb6CXcQLIAHKKpmx9z9NTVbNJ1hMa3qFWnDctLWf_TKAkSWJlpe84R1K6Qbo405PY5n5QrAmwVaa2kVik_Lx3DdLErppTVEnfelTvSMt8iiYednOl3VBHZ_HBGPdSHvUIJYwPqJPGEUl3RumP5VVXmw1tROnoL0LHMe5H5FrahA1CvAm2PW6Fw-TmMAJn4Uw6TsV37sRaT_pDLLetVrh9q_Qnfm61MzisXDRAqmtijuk4-Gs1pLmEdh-C-HzOwr-59B-yBX8PqbJvtbcXUFhTanNgUv1Z5O7e0xRzjOFkC2KgAxJfNaGGRxfiGXEgauY8Yzk0Cr1YEkHUjADH3ohKUz2Msi5eAuTPYOaXGswcYy3nomTYQhDTMDUMvYT_Bw7SiEa2yau-tybmNIJZ6VEdmXDBP0Y6wmvndv5q-hoRJz9Kj-Tuzs7mkU3RA3Mspbx0stkTdxGQrTxMbFb_EmgVPZvtYlFRq4PPBEYJ_n84-Z6Q30tLw_0aTMUzHjRwuvx_5xqb6AJs19w42pLheRjOF8kiKSOK7nqglaZjUx1bQkAoJPGz0Rfi5mBIrXPt-Y2gQ4zjIub=w1311-h983-no
You have chosen very wisely.

And the last of my two Stack-On sorters arrived.

After work these next few days, will finish transferring and sorting some more into them. This is going to make life a lot easier once it is done.

And finally got enough containers for the steralite drawers. Already made life easier.

Ryuuroden

After work these next few days, will finish transferring and sorting some more into them. This is going to make life a lot easier once it is done.

And finally got enough containers for the steralite drawers. Already made life easier.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd love to turn one of our spare bedrooms into my official LEGO/hobby room. I've used those storage bins for my nanoblock collection, and they're glorious. I just need to figure out what kind of tables to buy so I can move forward with the room conversion. Cheap folding tables are fine, but they've got that little bump in the middle which makes flat work annoying.

teeny

PhoncipleBone, just... amazing. It would inspire me if I only had the space :p

Could someone please help me identify a minifigure? My SO and I took some apart to make some custom figs and now I am trying to put them back together.
I have issues with them not being "complete"...heh.

I've got them all sussed except for one. Can anyone tell me what set this torso is in?

KlJ8Pnr.jpg

Google is being useless at the moment ;)

Cheers!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
PhoncipleBone, just... amazing. It would inspire me if I only had the space :p

Could someone please help me identify a minifigure? My SO and I took some apart to make some custom figs and now I am trying to put them back together.
I have issues with them not being "complete"...heh.

I've got them all sussed except for one. Can anyone tell me what set this torso is in?

KlJ8Pnr.jpg

Google is being useless at the moment ;)

Cheers!

That's the bank assistant lady from Bank & Money Transfer!

q31RDAd.png

Got that set on clearance at Target for $20. Love it so much I still have it saved.

teeny

mrkgoo

I need to save these pictures for when my wife complains I have too much Lego.

mrkgoo

A friend bought me the Blue Power Jet as a late birthday gift.
Damn awesome set! Loved how the wings are connected to the main body and built.
My only easily available minifigs were Poe Dameron and that other Resistance Pilot so they're now crewing the jet.

This is perhaps my favourite set since i started buying Lego again.

I love jets and cars and other Lego vehicles and the build and look of this set is simply amazing.

NysGAF

Are the Lego train sets fun? How are they controlled? The videos I've seen seem to show a battery pack and no speed control. Is that correct? I'm out if there's no speed control.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are the Lego train sets fun? How are they controlled? The videos I've seen seem to show a battery pack and no speed control. Is that correct? I'm out if there's no speed control.

I'm almost positive the remote is variable speed.

They're fun, but if you're looking to do an authentic layout, you're probably better off looking at legit scale model trains.

NysGAF

My son's definitely not ready for a true model train. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll head to the Lego store and see what they have.

Koren

Are the Lego train sets fun? How are they controlled?
If I'm not mistaken, new trains are IR-controlled, and have something like a 7-speeds control.

Still not sure whether it's better or worse than the previous solutions (train-by-train control vs control based on location...) I think I prefer the old method, but that may be nostalgia.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My son's definitely not ready for a true model train. Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll head to the Lego store and see what they have.

Oh if it's for your son, he'll have a BLAST. I love the train sets, but I know they're not like "model quality" in terms of layout options and stuff. For fun with trains and such, they're fantastic. I need to buy a few for when my wife and I have kids, ha.

It has arrived.

No see. I'll just have to imagine two giant LEGO balls.

Nice setup! I'm very jelly. Do the wire racks have wheels on them?

You are fantastic! :)

Unfortunately, I don't have that set. But I was able to find all of the sets via Brickset.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of those sets either. The mystery deepens!

EDIT: Bingo! Got it! It was in the Winter Toy Shop re-release. Phew, I may now rest :) Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

dCZYQC7.png

I prefer Bricklink's listings when looking for minifigs. You can take the element number you see on Brickset and search with it on Bricklink. In this case, the element number is 4570666 for that torso.

From the catalog entry you can click on the links for all the minifigs or sets that use that torso.
Bricklink catalog entry.

Item Appears In
22 Sets
21 Minifigs

teeny

I prefer Bricklink's listings when looking for minifigs. You can take the element number you see on Brickset and search with it on Bricklink. In this case, the element number is 4570666 for that torso.

From the catalog entry you can click on the links for all the minifigs or sets that use that torso.
Bricklink catalog entry.

Item Appears In
22 Sets
21 Minifigs

Great tip, thanks! :D

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My Millenium Falcon just arrived from amazon...but the whole package is smashed and so is the box from the Falcon.....

I just called amazon and will get a replacement by friday/saturday -_-...I hope everything will be fine this time.

teeny

My Millenium Falcon just arrived from amazon...but the whole package is smashed and so is the box from the Falcon.....

I just called amazon and will get a replacement by friday/saturday -_-...I hope everything will be fine this time.

That's rough, shame about the extra wait :( I've had some Lego packages from Amazon in pretty poor condition too, but I haven't had the patience to return anything :p

Edit: Not sure what kind of crossover there is in a GAF Lego thread and musicals, but my SO is the musical director for an amateur production of Legally Blonde. The production team have a tradition of making cards for the cast and other members of the crew. She wanted to use minifigures :) We were going to make little dioramas but ran out of time for one reason or another.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That's rough, shame about the extra wait :( I've had some Lego packages from Amazon in pretty poor condition too, but I haven't had the patience to return anything :p

if the lego box would have only been crushed a little, I would have kept it, but there is a 5-6cm hole in the side of the box ._."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom