• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

Guys could someone help me out a bit? I am looking for list of lego star wars UCS sets that are minifig scale (well as close as it can be)

I know Millenium Falcon, Tie Fighter and Slave I are supposed to meet this criteria, could someone tell me the rest UCS sets that are minifig scale?

Thsnks.

A bunch of sets/themes on sale at my local Target. Volcano, the city diving sets, a bunch of lasy year's Marveland DC sets, and Scooby Doo.

ruxtpin

Banned
Guys could someone help me out a bit? I am looking for list of lego star wars UCS sets that are minifig scale (well as close as it can be)

I know Millenium Falcon, Tie Fighter and Slave I are supposed to meet this criteria, could someone tell me the rest UCS sets that are minifig scale?

Thsnks.

Hmm... I think you're off on the Tie Fighter and Slave 1. I mean. I guess from what I know about the ships, they're not truly to scale. The Tie Fighter should be smaller I think, and the Slave 1 quite a bit larger? They're more to scale than your typical set I think tho.

valkyre

Hmm... I think you're off on the Tie Fighter and Slave 1. I mean. I guess from what I know about the ships, they're not truly to scale. The Tie Fighter should be smaller I think, and the Slave 1 quite a bit larger? They're more to scale than your typical set I think tho.

Yeah i am aware of that, which is why i said that i am looking "close to" minifig scale. For example the Slave 1 is certainly close to minifig scale compared to , say the Death Star set , which is absolutely nowhere near the scale it supposed to be (and for a good reason, but thats not the point of my question).

So again i am looking for those sets that are close to minifig scale give or take.

ruxtpin

Banned
Yeah i am aware of that, which is why i said that i am looking "close to" minifig scale. For example the Slave 1 is certainly close to minifig scale compared to , say the Death Star set , which is absolutely nowhere near the scale it supposed to be (and for a good reason, but thats not the point of my question).

So again i am looking for those sets that are close to minifig scale give or take.

lol - Shows how well I pay attention. I can't read while I'm also trying to see things!

Edit: Maybe Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter?

Jimbro72

Thsnks.

After taking a look through my collection, there are a few others that are somewhat minifig scale. If the TIE Fighter is, then I'd say the TIE Interceptor and Vader's TIE could count, too. Also the Y-Wing, while seemingly a bit on the large side compared to a minifig, has a cockpit that almost perfectly fits one and also has a minifig droid sitting behind the cockpit, too, so that one may fit what you're looking for. Likewise with the Naboo Starfighter, though it doesn't really have a functioning cockpit like the system sets do. It has a printed piece for the cockpit.

As far as the Jedi Starfighter, it's a bit too big so I wouldn't count that one as minifig scale.

wetwired

New Ghostbusters set is out on Shop@home. AUD$100 and limit of one only so I can't even buy 2 to get over the free postage limit.

I've called them to see if I can do it manually and pulled the "do you know who I am?" line (ok not really, but sort of) to see if I can swing ordering 2.

New Ghostbusters set is out on Shop@home. AUD$100 and limit of one only so I can't even buy 2 to get over the free postage limit.

I've called them to see if I can do it manually and pulled the "do you know who I am?" line (ok not really, but sort of) to see if I can swing ordering 2.

You should get 1 of every GB related set for free, for life.

Reposting from last night

A question for those of you that have printed custom stickers for MOCs (I know Wetwired has):

What did you use to print them, or what services?
Also, what dimensions should the sticker be designed at to fit on a 1x4 tiles, or a 3x4 surface area?

I have made an arcade cabinet for a MOC, and am wanting to print up a screen to put on it, and maybe the title banner above the cabinet. This kinda stuff will also help if I want to print some custom stuff for the exterior or whatnot.

Looking for suggestions on either clear stickers or opaque ones.

Any feedback would be great.

Wanting to make a sign and screen for this:

And obviously adapt the technique to other parts of the MOC, but this is the main one so far.

Sidzed2

Hi Lego-GAF, I'm a longtime lurker but first-time poster in this thread (I check it every day!)

Thought I'd share a few (poor quality - sorry!) photos of my Spider-Man Bridge Battle Royale!

Full_Size_Render_1.jpg
Full_Size_Render_2.jpg
Full_Size_Render_3.jpg
Full_Size_Render_4.jpg
Full_Size_Render_5.jpg
Full_Size_Render_6.jpg
Full_Size_Render_7.jpg
Full_Size_Render_8.jpg
Full_Size_Render.jpg

ghostmind

Hi Lego-GAF, I'm a longtime lurker but first-time poster in this thread (I check it every day!)

Thought I'd share a few (poor quality - sorry!) photos of my Spider-Man Bridge Battle Royale!

Welcome! Glad you decided to start posting.

I am really looking forward to getting the Bridge Battle - having read/watched reviews, I am thinking it may become my favorite superhero set of all time.

Just bought the Ecto-1. Looking forward to it.

As usual I checked for new parts in B&P and as usual everything remotely new is unavailable. There's a ton of cool parts in recent Elves and Ninjago sets, but I'm not going to buy multiples of 90€ sets just for a few parts...

Welcome, and I hate you because you are able to get that set now while the US waits for August. Sigh.

But seriously, welcome. We are all just filthy enablers up in here.

Sidzed2

Welcome, and I hate you because you are able to get that set now while the US waits for August. Sigh.

But seriously, welcome. We are all just filthy enablers up in here.

You guys are the worst enablers around. Jumped on the Morro Dragon, Wu's Dragon, Temple of Airjitzu, King's Mech, Jestro's Evil Mobile, Superhero Airport Battle and countless other sets on account of you lot!

As for the new Marvel sets, they aren't available here (Aus) until August. Grabbed these off Amazon Germany.

Once again proving why CREATOR is the best theme LEGO has going, we have a series of designer videos by Mike Psiaki and Morten Rauff:

31049 Twin Spin Helicopter
https://youtu.be/jKzUVwKgdZ8

31051 Lighthouse Point
https://youtu.be/ljH4yntlpbU

31052 Vacation Getaways
https://youtu.be/BhlWWUYnLYY

31053 Treehouse Adventures
https://youtu.be/1V9hQsMPSR4

Lighthouse Adventures modules
https://youtu.be/MveG66qrSIY

In the VG video, there's a medium blue house in the shelf off to the side. It looks fairly basic, but that's not an existing set, is it?

Koren

I'm thinking it's about 1:2 minifig scale?
It is.

Slave 1 is virtually minifig-scale (slightly too small)

B-Wing is about 30% too big, the UCS falcon is also slightly too big.

The last UCS tie is two and half times too big (in fact, it's nearly technic figure scale... Even the black and red TFA Tie tend to be slightly too big, depending on the scale you choose).

Compared to the Death Star which is probably 1:10k or something.
1:6-7k for the first one.

Also, about 10^15 bricks, which is 1000x the number of bricks ever produced by TLC.

Koren

So is the X Wing UCS minifig scale (give or take) or not?
No.

Poe's or the new TFA one are. The UCS one is something like 60% too large.

Roughly (without properly doing the maths, and besides, there's different size for Star Wars ships depending on where you look), and assuming I've avoided errors :

Death Star ~ 1:300000 ^_^
Sandcrawler ~ 1:80
Lambda ~ 1:55
Slave 1 ~ 1:45
Falcon ~ 1:35
B-Wing ~ 1:30
X-Wing ~ 1:25
Tie-fighter ~ 1:20

Minifigs are about 1:38 - 1:45 (based on height... they're awfully fat, though)

My may gripe is that they can't settle on a scale for X-Wing, B-Wing, Tie... making dogfights dioramas out of scale. :/ (although again, you'll find different dimensions for ships depending on the material you look)

valkyre

No.

Poe's or the new TFA one are. The UCS one is something like 60% too large.

Roughly (without properly doing the maths, and besides, there's different size for Star Wars ships depending on where you look), and assuming I've avoided errors :

Death Star ~ 1:300000 ^_^
Sandcrawler ~ 1:80
Lambda ~ 1:55
Slave 1 ~ 1:45
Falcon ~ 1:35
B-Wing ~ 1:30
X-Wing ~ 1:25
Tie-fighter ~ 1:20

Minifigs are about 1:38 - 1:45 (based on height... they're awfully fat, though)

My may gripe is that they can't settle on a scale for X-Wing, B-Wing, Tie... making dogfights dioramas out of scale. :/ (although again, you'll find different dimensions for ships depending on the material you look)

Well damn.

I was hoping to use some ucs sets for a diorama dog fight (just like you said) and it seems i have to build my own versions... Which makes the whole ordeal quite troublesome, costly and more importantly time-consuming...

There is also that OCD thing of mine that wants stuff to make sense proportionally if we are talking about a series of collections (say spaceships) so thats a bit of a bummer.

Edit: wait, even the Falcon is not minifig scale? I thought lego claimed so? Looking at your maths its larger than the actual one should be?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
LEGOGAF...I did something today.

We went to a store to buy the new X-Wing Resistance Set...and then..well we bought something unexpected, after my fiancée saw it and said "yeah we better buy that one". No X-Wing for me. but..

Solution in spoiler tag:

I've started building it, just finished bag 3. My fiancée helps me, but she gets tired really fast after her accident on tuesday, so she went to bed and said "you can build 'til bag 5" lol.

Koren

I was hoping to use some ucs sets for a diorama dog fight (just like you said) and it seems i have to build my own versions...
The problem is that it's not even consistent in *star wars* materials. Consider those scales with a +/- 20% possible variation.

X-Wing and Tie-Fighter are roughly of the same scale. I still find Tie a slightly too big in comparison (I want to do a X-Wing vs Tie interceptor dogfight diorama, I'll slightly reduce the wing size when modding the Tie into an interceptor, keeping the cockpit the same).

I wouldn't do a Slave-1 vs Tie diorama, though (Slave 1 vs Falcol could pass).

Keep in mind that the cockpit of a tie is about the size of a human. Should you have one minifig-scale, the canopy would be 3-4 studs high, and you probably couldn't put a minifig inside the cockpit :/ TFA ships are good approximations for minifig-scale.

I really wish I had a Technic Lego figure dressed as a Tie pilot and an X-Wing pilot, that would be perfect.

Edit: wait, even the Falcon is not minifig scale? I thought lego claimed so? Looking at your maths its larger than the actual one should be?
It is minifig scale... The difference is not meaningful enough, and the 1:38-1:44 minifig scale take mostly the minifig height into accout.

Slave 1 is also minifig-scale (although it would be difficult to put everything the Slave 1 contains in the Lego ship).

That being said, Falcon is 25% longer than Slave 1, Lego Falcon is more than 50% longer than Slave 1, so side to side, it's not the same "minifig-scale".

LEGOGAF...I did something today.

We went to a store to buy the new X-Wing Resistance Set...and then..well we bought something unexpected, after my fiancée saw it and said "yeah we better buy that one". No X-Wing for me. but..
Ewok Village?

Aw, that bright green piece threw me off.

ghostmind

No hype for minifig Thanos? And the fact that Lego are making X-Men merchandise?

Thanos and the Gauntletmobile are the best Mighty Micro to date.

Really like Magneto too... Series 2 is a definite step up from Series 1.

And yeah, X-Men LEGO again - hopefully a sign that there is more to come and releases won't be stifled by petty politics.

It is minifig scale... The difference is not meaningful enough, and the 1:38-1:44 minifig scale take mostly the minifig height into accout.

Slave 1 is also minifig-scale (although it would be difficult to put everything the Slave 1 contains in the Lego ship).

That being said, Falcon is 25% longer than Slave 1, Lego Falcon is more than 50% longer than Slave 1, so side to side, it's not the same "minifig-scale".
Ya, there will never be a perfect scale when dealing with minifigs because minifigs won't scale perfectly with humans. This article illustrates the point:

http://militarylego.blogspot.com/2009/10/its-matter-of-scale.html

Koren

Ya, there will never be a perfect scale when dealing with minifigs because minifigs won't scale perfectly with humans. This article illustrates the point:
I don't mind any scale, but I'd like consistency between models... Especially between fighters.

That being said, there's scale issues in ILM material (and I don't even talk about books and such), so that's hard. I still think the wings of the Tie are slightly too large (both with respect to the cockpit and the X-Wing).

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, enough Lego building for me today, after bag number 8 I need a break :D but it is a lot of fun. I like all the details in the UCS Slave 1. But damn the stickers annoy me like they did in my childhood

Went to Target and they had a ton of Lego sets on clearance.

Most of the last Ninjago wave, Scooby Doo, some random creator sets. I nearly nabbed the Blue Power Jet for 48, but my backlog is too big.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom