• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Marvel Mighty Micros

GwWlcpm.jpg

1XWiPvc.jpg

ANLkZ4Q.jpg

Thanos!

I love the Might Micros (minifigs). Makes me want standard versions even more.
Gonna be a lot of Super Hero costumes for minifig kids next Halloween.
Is that the same Spidey expression as the last one? Real disappointed if it is.

The Magneto black head with just eyes would be perfect for a Marvin the Martian.
Where the heck are the Looney Tunes minifigs?!?

I predict they will have Looney Tunes next year with LEGO Dimensions with a CMF line.

ericb!

Neo Member
If you're thinking of purchasing the Temple of Airjitzu, now may be a good time. LEGO is currently offering 3.5x VIP points for this set.

If you're thinking of purchasing the Temple of Airjitzu, now may be a good time. LEGO is currently offering 3.5x VIP points for this set.

Tempted to get a second one just for parts...

Agree, it is beautiful. I did jump on it, twice today...

...and that would pale in comparison to what you did.

It is such a fantastic set, and everyone should get it. 3.5 VIP is crazy too.
I want to get Big Ben, but so many VIP points is tempting.

Set of the year for 2015.

Set of the last couple of years in my opinion. But that is just me.
*stares lovingly at it on display next to the TV, with the Morro Dragon attacking it.*

EDIT:
6039347.jpg

The Temple comes with this part.
Every one of you that buys this set gets this part, which means it is that many fewer of them that Ryuoorden owns in this world. He had taken a large chunk of the supply for his comically large Orthanc model. Get more of them, and you can hold them for ransom!

Kinda mad tbh that we're finally getting Minifig Thanos and he won't have proper legs and a funny expression :(

Still though, that Gauntlet mobile is something to behold...

Amazon matching TRU sale
http://toysnbricks.com/usa-lego-dc-comics-marvel-super-heroes-sale/

Great price for Green Lantern set. I mean Batman set with Green Lantern.

DC Comics

30% off – Green Lantern vs. Sinestro $14 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Clash of the Heroes $10.39 (reg.$12.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros: Robin vs. Bane $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Kryptonite Interception $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Super Heroes Batman Gotham City Cycle Chase $15.99 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle $47.99 (reg.$59.99)

Marvel Super Heroes

30% off – The Quinjet City Chase $55.99 (reg.$79.99)
23% off – Iron Man vs. Ultron $9.99 (reg.$12.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros: Hulk vs. Ultron $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros Captain America vs. Red Skull $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Iron Skull Sub Attack $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Crossbones’ Hazard Heist $15.99 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Black Panther Pursuit $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Avenjet Space Mission $47.99 (reg.$59.99)
20% off – Super Hero Airport Battle $63.99 (reg.$89.99)
20% off – Attack on Avengers Tower $48 (reg.$59.99)

Amazon matching TRU sale
http://toysnbricks.com/usa-lego-dc-comics-marvel-super-heroes-sale/

Great price for Green Lantern set. I mean Batman set with Green Lantern.

DC Comics

30% off – Green Lantern vs. Sinestro $14 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Clash of the Heroes $10.39 (reg.$12.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros: Robin vs. Bane $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Kryptonite Interception $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Super Heroes Batman Gotham City Cycle Chase $15.99 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Heroes of Justice: Sky High Battle $47.99 (reg.$59.99)

Marvel Super Heroes

30% off – The Quinjet City Chase $55.99 (reg.$79.99)
23% off – Iron Man vs. Ultron $9.99 (reg.$12.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros: Hulk vs. Ultron $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Mighty Micros Captain America vs. Red Skull $7.99 (reg.$9.99)
20% off – Iron Skull Sub Attack $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Crossbones’ Hazard Heist $15.99 (reg.$19.99)
20% off – Black Panther Pursuit $23.99 (reg.$29.99)
20% off – Avenjet Space Mission $47.99 (reg.$59.99)
20% off – Super Hero Airport Battle $63.99 (reg.$89.99)
20% off – Attack on Avengers Tower $48 (reg.$59.99)
Quinjet is awesome.
Black Panther set is killer for that price.
Airport battle has dat Giant Man.

LEGOGAF...I did something today.

We went to a store to buy the new X-Wing Resistance Set...and then..well we bought something unexpected, after my fiancée saw it and said "yeah we better buy that one". No X-Wing for me. but..

Solution in spoiler tag:

I've started building it, just finished bag 3. My fiancée helps me, but she gets tired really fast after her accident on tuesday, so she went to bed and said "you can build 'til bag 5" lol.

I'm putting this together on my desk at work right now. My boss bought it so it isn't mine but I still get to put it together.

Bag 9 was kind of a pain in the ass.

wetwired

what's the RRP on the new Ghostbusters set in the US? I'm half tempted to see if someone there can post them to me

EDIT> Looks like USD$60 which is about AUD$80. The Australian RRP is AUD$100.

I wonder if I got a few people together if, if we could get the postage rate down to USD$15 per set it would be worthwhile doing

Maengun1

Any particular reason for that 3.5x VIP points on the Temple of Airjitzu? Just a regular promotional thing?

I've never bought anything Ninjago, but it's a gorgeous set and getting $35 in VIP points back from a $200 purchase is damn tempting. Must be strong.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm done!

the hardest part? the freaking sticker with all the technical information about the slave 1. Had to try 6-7 times until I had it centred..made me go mad getting it off again and again. Maybe I'll buy some clear sticky foil and glue it over it.

mrkgoo

Once again proving why CREATOR is the best theme LEGO has going, we have a series of designer videos by Mike Psiaki and Morten Rauff:

31049 Twin Spin Helicopter
https://youtu.be/jKzUVwKgdZ8

31051 Lighthouse Point
https://youtu.be/ljH4yntlpbU

31052 Vacation Getaways
https://youtu.be/BhlWWUYnLYY

31053 Treehouse Adventures
https://youtu.be/1V9hQsMPSR4

Lighthouse Adventures modules
https://youtu.be/MveG66qrSIY

It's my favourite theme but damn, these videos do a great job at selling them. I want the vacation getaway and lighthouse point now! The modular capability of the light house is pretty cool.

Mikevakso gas a designer video for the new beetle. I gotta get that model. It just looks so cool

Ryuuroden

EDIT:
6039347.jpg

The Temple comes with this part.
Every one of you that buys this set gets this part, which means it is that many fewer of them that Ryuoorden owns in this world. He had taken a large chunk of the supply for his comically large Orthanc model. Get more of them, and you can hold them for ransom!

Oh you..... :D I have over 3000 of those bricks how in black and another 2000 in grey......a lot extra in both colors for future builds. :D

Fox Mulder

I'm done!

the hardest part? the freaking sticker with all the technical information about the slave 1. Had to try 6-7 times until I had it centred..made me go mad getting it off again and again. Maybe I'll buy some clear sticky foil and glue it over it.

Always stickers.

I just got the Porsche le mans pit set, and it has like 80 stickers to place on two cars and the pit set.

NysGAF

Lego Organization 3.0

Thanks for the inspiration Lego-GAF. I love these Sterilite containers. Version 1 was an oversized toolbox, Version 2 was a trio of smaller Akro-Mils craft cabinets, and now we've arrived at Jang-level storage. I hope we don't grow out of it as quickly as we grew out of the other two. Now to make those cables in the back look better...

Lego organization 3.0 by Pieter, on Flickr

Lego Organization 3.0

Thanks for the inspiration Lego-GAF. I love these Sterilite containers. Version 1 was an oversized toolbox, Version 2 was a trio of smaller Akro-Mils craft cabinets, and now we've arrived at Jang-level storage. I hope we don't grow out of it as quickly as we grew out of the other two. Now to make those cables in the back look better...

You haven't gotten to Ryuuroden levels yet.

7mUeyHEl.jpg

QuNvHQcl.jpg

wvTKHyBl.jpg

Koren

About storing... Is it bad to keep the pieces "stacked"?

Sorting by shape AND color require a lot of cups (and a lot of bricks), so I usually stack pieces as a "sub-category" in each storage bin...

(Also, I'm impressed at the amounts of bricks some of you have... What's your main source, bricklink or sets bought for parts at discount?)

Sorting by shape AND color require a lot of cups (and a lot of bricks), so I usually stack pieces as a "sub-category" in each storage bin...

(Also, I'm impressed at the amounts of bricks some of you have... What's your main source, bricklink or sets bought for parts at discount?)

By "stacked" do you mean actually connected to save space? I am not positive, but I think actually keeping the pieces together does add some tension to the pieces, does it not?

As for amount of bricks, it is just tons of sets bought (full price or clearance stuff just for parts), and raiding the PAB wall for me. Never done Bricklink.

Hagi

I really want the new lighthouse set, it's so cool. Looking forward to the Rogue One stuff later in the year.

Koren

By "stacked" do you mean actually connected to save space?
More than saving space, it's saving time when I search for a specific color for example. For example, my 1x4 tiles are stacked by color (not 1x4 on another 1x4, but only two studs connected).

I am not positive, but I think actually keeping the pieces together does add some tension to the pieces, does it not?
It does, but those deformations should be in the "elastic behavior" part of the pieces, not the "plasticity behavior", or the pieces would wear quickly (constraints are worse when you break a model in parts).

Does tension over years really loosen the pieces?

If it its the case, are models you keep built really ageing?

The only reference I have are my sets from when I was a kid. Some haven't been broken into parts for a quarter century at last, and the "clutch" seems still good*, although the bricks have often been used more than recent ones, and I'm not sure the plastic is the same.

*I wouldn't say the same for color... Lightgray and white bricks, especially, have some yellowish tint. T_T

As for amount of bricks, it is just tons of sets bought (full price or clearance stuff just for parts), and raiding the PAB wall for me. Never done Bricklink.
I'm still reluctant to buy sets for parts, I feel I won't need 80% of the pieces, and the useful parts are in such a low count that I fear I'll need more anyway. :/ And PAB lacks variety...

rokkerkory

I'm done!

Force is strong with this one

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Force is strong with this one
I wish :/ the sticker on the cockpit window are not straight..but I'm to afraid to pull them of and reapply them. So they'll have to stay that way now lol.

Already started my millennium falcon! Stopped with bag 6. I'll save the rest for tomorrow. ^.^

Turnbl

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Lego marketing dept openly playing with my retro Knight needs <shakes fist>

So I need to spend over £25 now because I must own a classic Knight <shakes both fists>

Loved the amazing Vacation Getaways set. Other recent sets have included Millennium Falcon, Cantina, Raptor Rampage, Ghostbusters car and Back to the future car. I basically like buildings and vehicles (all of Lego huh?)

I have a shortlist of:

Lighthouse Point £40
Changing Seasons £40
Corner Deli £28
The Mystery Machine £30
Fun in the park £35

It seems Santa's Workshop is now OOP? Am I missing an obvious purchase? What should I buy Gaf Lego Hivemind?

Jimbro72

Am I the only one that almost never apply stickers, because I feel it's a kind of heresy in Lego?

I apply every sticker when I put together a set. To me, it feels wrong not to do so but I understand reasons not to, especially if you are eventually going to break down the set and use it for a MOC.

I generally don't because the ones on my 2012 X-Wing have already deteriorated.

It's odd that some people have stickers that deteriorate that quickly. Or at all. I just took a look through some of my built sets, including ones that are from 12+ yrs ago and the stickers on them look fine for the most part. A few looked like an edge here or there was starting to lift but the vast majority of them look like they could have just been applied today. No lifting or curling of edges, no discoloration that I could tell, no noticeable deterioration of any kind. I guess I've just been lucky with stickers on my sets.

Ghostbusters car

Am I missing an obvious purchase? What should I buy Gaf Lego Hivemind?

The new Ghostbusters car released yesterday and looks awesome. You might want that to make a Ghostbusters superteam to take down some serious ghosts.

Otherwise the Fun in the Park is a very nice set, but you might also want to take a look at the Ghost Rider or Spider-Man bridge sets. Really great sets overall. I can also recommend all the recent Elves sets with dragons - those are awesome.

It's odd that some people have stickers that deteriorate that quickly. Or at all. I just took a look through some of my built sets, including ones that are from 12+ yrs ago and the stickers on them look fine for the most part. A few looked like an edge here or there was starting to lift but the vast majority of them look like they could have just been applied today. No lifting or curling of edges, no discoloration that I could tell, no noticeable deterioration of any kind. I guess I've just been lucky with stickers on my sets.
Probably cuz it gets in the 90s F during the day unless i have my a/c on.

oh crap, its a new PAB wall right?
Yeah.

Nashville had some 1x1 bricks and 2x1 plates in sand green. They also had tons of white 2x1 and 1x1 armrest corner thingies, which I grabbed a ton of since they can be used decoratively. They also had the 2x1 SNOT plates that have 2x2 on the side. I think you know what I mean.

They had some of the white 6x1 tall wall pieces of which I got a lot and filled with other parts before stacking up.
The clerk was nice enough to go see what other random stuff they had leftover so got some larger grey plates as well as a 16x16 green plate that they just let me take. That was nice of them.

They had yellow 1x6 bricks, which I almost filled a cup with but stopped. And they had 2x4 and 2x6 bricks and plates in so many common colors. Same with 4x4 plates in multiple colors. Was basically a ton of basic stuff, which was nice. Sadly, no tiles except 1x2 pink and 2x2 Orange.

Be prepared to experience deja vu
Nearing the end of bag 2. I knew going in it would be repetitious. While repetition can be tedious, it is necessary for achieving very nice textures and looks. The ends justify the means for me.

And I called the sideways orientation of certain pieces to get the texture on the tower, but totally didn't expect the method they are actually attached. Very simple and secure.

Lego Organization 3.0

Looking good.

I also stack pieces I don't plan on using anytime soon. Better to keep loose if using them frequently as it's time consuming to stack them. I'll post some photos later.

As for it being bad to stack and store, I've searched and there doesn't appear to be any significant consequences. Take with a grain of salt as I found very little information. Think about any build where they are kept together for years. If there was an issue of losing clutch from just being connected for a long time, there should be plenty of stories warning to take apart builds after X amount of time.
NOTE: There are people that consider bricks put together as not "new". They only consider "virgin" bricks that have not been connected as new.

Don't think most of us with tons of bricks are the norm. A lot of us are at different stages of life where we may have more disposable income.

When I started out a few years ago, my main sources were and still are:
- Sets I wanted (usually waited for sales or pricier sets)
- Sets on heavy clearance 40+% off.
- PAB wall at LEGO store
- Bricklink

I'm starting to cut back on clearance stuff because I end up with tons of parts I have no need (I'm drowning in tires). I have so many bricks now, it's more cost and time efficient for me to buy parts I want via Bricklink or LEGO Bricks and Pieces. I used to get almost any set on heavy clearance for parts. Not as much now.

I avoid used parts as I'm OCD about parts being clean and in good condition. I tried it early on, but found cleaning process and some less than good condition to not be worth it for me. If none of those bother you, bulk used buys are a cheap source.

oh crap, its a new PAB wall right?

Refresh of PAB isn't that exciting this time. There are 1x2 sand green plates and 1x1 sand green bricks, but I believe you got a bunch already from the LEGO store during a LEGO convention/show. There's 1x2 plate with ball joints, but it's not like those are rare. There are a lot of pieces that are repeats from previous Build-A-Models.

EDIT: It's worth noting they labelled 4 of the bins as "fan favorites" which I think is new. 2 of them were the sand green ones. The other was the 1x2 plate with ball joint and the opposite part (but the loose version).

Storing bricks stacked.

Larger plates I don't stack because it's a pain to put together and to take apart. There are a few stuck together because it was from PAB wall and I wanted to maximize how many I could put in a cup. I learned afterwards to stagger them by at least 1 stud.

I call this my brick of bricks. I used ziplocks to separate them better so I can take a few out without messing up the rest.

I didn't have slopes container handy. I wanted to show how I maximized storage space with those. :)

EDIT:

Happened to have some slopes I had sorted recently. Cole is watching over my LEGO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom