• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Storing bricks stacked.

Larger plates I don't stack because it's a pain to put together and to take apart. There are a few stuck together because it was from PAB wall and I wanted to maximize how many I could put in a cup. I learned afterwards to stagger them by at least 1 stud.

I call this my brick of bricks. I used ziplocks to separate them better so I can take a few out without messing up the rest.

I didn't have slopes container handy. I wanted to show how I maximized storage space with those. :)
God. It's beautiful.
I should do that to maximize space, but the time investment would be nuts. And I think separating stuff when I want to use them would drive me insane.

God. It's beautiful.
I should do that to maximize space, but the time investment would be nuts. And I think separating stuff when I want to use them would drive me insane.

I have drawer and box system similar to yours for the loose parts. Those are my "surplus" parts I don't use much. I actually find sorting and putting bricks together relaxing. I usually do the stacking when I'm watching something I actually am focusing on since stacking requires little brain power. Movies or shows I've seen where I don't pay too much attention I build.

I'm editing the earlier post to add an example of how I store my slopes. I happened to have some that I sorted recently.

EDIT: You should see how I store my 1x1 plates. :)

Do I win any OCD awards?

Koren

Thanks for the long reply and images...

Barring the (huge) quantity, we share a lot in storage habits. Down to the way we store slopes (I'm doing exactly the same)

I don't think stacking is time consuming when you build. For Green Grocer, i often put the stack where a piece should go, then broke the stack one piece higher. Pretty quick way to build walls...

My latest MOC is finished: Pizza Plaza.

pizzaplaza_01.jpg

pizzaplaza_05.jpg

pizzaplaza_02.jpg

pizzaplaza_11.jpg

Introducing Arsenio the football pro turned pizza chef, and his sister Jolanda the flower girl. I used a bunch of new parts in this: the Enderman torso, the tile with pin, the bar to stud piece (used for Spider-Man's web in new sets), the black flames from Elves, Nexo Knight globlins, some CMF footballer parts, some of the parts from Belle's castle and generally a bunch of lavender which is a fairly new colour. Oh, and some old parts like the octagonal 2x2 pipes and a printed Homemaker 1x4 brick.

More story and pics here:
http://www.beardednerd.se/lego-modular-moc-pizza-plaza/

pizzaplaza_01.jpg

pizzaplaza_05.jpg

pizzaplaza_02.jpg

pizzaplaza_11.jpg

Introducing Arsenio the football pro turned pizza chef, and his sister Jolanda the flower girl. I used a bunch of new parts in this: the Enderman torso, the tile with pin, the bar to stud piece (used for Spider-Man's web in new sets), the black flames from Elves, Nexo Knight globlins, some CMF footballer parts, some of the parts from Belle's castle and generally a bunch of lavender which is a fairly new colour. Oh, and some old parts like the octagonal 2x2 pipes and a printed Homemaker 1x4 brick.

Awesome work, as usual.

NysGAF

pizzaplaza_01.jpg

pizzaplaza_05.jpg

pizzaplaza_02.jpg

pizzaplaza_11.jpg

This is terrific! I'd buy that. How do you guys come up with this stuff!

Nice techniques used for Pizza Plaza.

Pizza using 4x4 circular plate with 2x2 circular hole is clever. Using the flower for head to make a flower plant with that trans piece was clever too. Brick built lettering is also good too.

NysGAF

I was in Barnes and Noble this week and saw a couple of sets in their 50% off clearance bin. Does anyone know if this gets resupplied every once in a while or is that it; once the bins are empty the sale is over?

I was in Barnes and Noble this week and saw a couple of sets in their 50% off clearance bin. Does anyone know if this gets resupplied every once in a while or is that it; once the bins are empty the sale is over?
Phon is the expert, but stuff trickles out as space gets freed up. In a couple of weeks it drops to 75% off and then $2/item.

What sets did you see?

Osahi

pizzaplaza_01.jpg

pizzaplaza_05.jpg

pizzaplaza_02.jpg

pizzaplaza_11.jpg

Woa! Great stuff. Without the figs and the fantastical elements like the flesh eating plant, you could easily mistake this for a official modular!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The online store from galeria kaufhof Germany has a special Sunday deal on all Star Wars Lego sets. UCS Tie Fighter is now 165€ for example

Pizza modular is excellent, would totally buy it. The lettering in particular I like, very clever z-formation, but the ivy (?) hanging over the roof looks great too.

The modular MOC I have in my head has a flower shop as part of it, will take some work to make it better than yours

Pizza modular is excellent, would totally buy it. The lettering in particular I like, very clever z-formation, but the ivy (?) hanging over the roof looks great too.

The modular MOC I have in my head has a flower shop as part of it, will take some work to make it better than yours

I haven't had to build anything like the ivy before, but it turns out that the pneumatic T bars are excellent for building those at an angle.

I made the flower shop partly to find a use for all those millions of flowers that I tend to collect with all the Elves sets. Next I'll probably make a jeweller's...

Get it while it is there. Once it's gone it's gone.

Finally got all 2016 winter wave Bionicle sets. After spending time with the wave of sets I can say the biggest problem is with how same they feel. All sets are incredibly unique when you look at their details in the parts used side by side, but the overall feel id say is the same mostly due to the uniformity needed in both shaping and size for the unity function to work.

Not really complaining but just thoughts.

valkyre

Getting married next week and i got myself 2 presents waiting for me!

Slave I UCS
X - Wing Red Five UCS

Needless to say I cannot wait for next week! :)

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Getting married next week and i got myself 2 presents waiting for me!

Slave I UCS
X - Wing Red Five UCS

Needless to say I cannot wait for next week! :)

So jealous about the X-Wing!!

The Slave I was awesome to build. You can be excited!

And congratulations ;)

NysGAF

Phon is the expert, but stuff trickles out as space gets freed up. In a couple of weeks it drops to 75% off and then $2/item.

What sets did you see?

It was a TMNT set and an Avengers set. Once I got home I facepalmed and said, "Why oh why didn't you grab them? Who cares if they're not your thing, Lego is fun no matter what!"

Next time...

mrkgoo

The pizza plaza is awesome!

But something that makes me wonder is do any buildings in real life put half their name on one corner and the other half on the other?

From one angle you'd only see "plaza" - I just figured the main point was to be able to identify it from all angles.

But yeah, just nitpicking. Great job! I love the little details.

R-User!

Lookie what I found on the shelf at TRU:

C0BF39FB-1A10-435C-B800-552B552FDDA8.jpg

The Bionicle was a freebie.

PS. Love the Pizza Place SiegfriedFM!

That set became available to purchase on the first of July at SAH as well as at my local LEGO store.

But it's good to remind people that it's potentially out at other retailers as well! :)

They had the Age of Ultron Quinjet at Target today for $55. I was really, really tempted to get it. It was the only discounted Super Heroes set, there were several Ninjago sets, and I think 3-4 City sets.

iosefe

i don't like the new Ecto-1. somethign just doens't seem right

i prefer the Original Ideas one so much more that i bought one today

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I need some help on how I should prioritize buying the rest of the sets on my wishlist. I'm trying to space it out to avoid missing out on sets but also to not absolutely destroy my wallet (more than I already have, ha).

• Simpsons House
  • Kiwk-E-Mart
  • Mini Cooper
  • Camper Van
  • Detective’s Office
  • Palace Cinema
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Brick Bank
  • Toy & Grocery Shop
  • Corner Deli
  • Vacation Getaways
  • Firehouse Headquarters
  • Slave I
  • Millennium falcon
  • TIE Fighter - Not 100% on this one...It looks decent, but I can't decide.
  • SHIELD Helicarrier - Same as above. Looks great, but expensive for what you get.

I need some help on how I should prioritize buying the rest of the sets on my wishlist. I'm trying to space it out to avoid missing out on sets but also to not absolutely destroy my wallet (more than I already have, ha).

• Simpsons House
  • Kiwk-E-Mart
  • Mini Cooper
  • Camper Van
  • Detective’s Office
  • Palace Cinema
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Brick Bank
  • Toy & Grocery Shop
  • Corner Deli
  • Vacation Getaways
  • Firehouse Headquarters
  • Slave I
  • Millennium falcon
  • SHIELD Helicarrier - Same as above. Looks great, but expensive for what you get.
You have the most time on Vacation Getaways, as amazing as it is, there is no rush.
Of that list, Parisian Restaurant is the best set, and by a large margin. After that I would get VW Camper.

Agree. Parisian Restaurant is possibly the best set ever, and it might not last too long since it uses tons of rare colours. And having just gotten Camper Van after five years, I'm so happy I didn't miss it.

• Simpsons House
  • Kiwk-E-Mart
  • Mini Cooper
  • Camper Van
  • Detective’s Office
  • Palace Cinema
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Brick Bank
  • Toy & Grocery Shop
  • Corner Deli
  • Vacation Getaways
  • Firehouse Headquarters
  • Slave I
  • Millennium falcon

Really depends on your interest in the different themes.

I would pass on the Helicarrier if anything had to be cut from that list.

If you are a HUGE Star Wars fan, Slave 1 is a must get IMO. I don't see them doing a Slave 1 that grand again for a long, long time if ever again. Millennium Falcon should have a long shelf life or if not, it will be remade again eventually. Fingers crossed for another UCS Millennium Falcon.

Toy & Grocery Shop and Corner Deli are very nice, but if you want to get all those modulars these modular jr. ones should be near bottom or drop off.

Keep a savings of $200+ ready at all times to grab the Simpsons sets or anything else if they are about done and gone. You never know when one of those big sets will be at end of life.

willp2003

@nicoga3000

(attempting my 3rd reply after my phone kept erroring!)

I'm mainly a star wars fan, and the TIE is much more impressive than it looks in the pictures. I'd hold off on the falcon and pick up the TIE or Slave 1 (or both). They both came out last year, so you can probably prioritize other sets if needs be. It's the 40th anniversary next year, so I'm still hoping/praying that we get a new UCS Falcon.

VW camper van can't have long to live, so maybe pick that up sooner rather than later.

Osahi

Shit. Lego Dimensions is 60 euros (in stead of the 80 to 100 you see usualy) on a webshop I use a lot. This is it, I'm down the rabbit hole.

So, the Portal set any good?

teeny

Shit. Lego Dimensions is 60 euros (in stead of the 80 to 100 you see usualy) on a webshop I use a lot. This is it, I'm down the rabbit hole.

So, the Portal set any good?

It most certainly is and the humour is on point, too. I could do with a whole game around that mechanic.

Edit:

Amazing work, I am in awe. I feel very much hampered by my imagination as well as the pieces I have available when it comes to MOC modulars, so I am very jealous :p

I'd pay for instructions, seriously.

teeny

I could post the LDD file. It's not complete as some parts don't exist, but it could get you started.

That would be amazing, if you don't mind! I'm definitely more of a from-the-instructions kind of guy. :) I have a lot of pink bricks, so I might have to substitute colours... and it may end up selling something considerably colder then pizza ;) Thanks!

I finished the new Ecto 1 and here are some pics, comparisons, and opinions.

E2D527D8-6F2C-473C-8835-CF3EE1BDAAF3.jpg

71A824A6-EBDA-458C-8D01-375760939B7E.jpg

6830594F-79F5-4CF4-9228-13809DF0850F.jpg

FFDB2B40-6D19-4EED-9218-612DCC10017C.jpg

4415B67E-6EB0-457E-9AFF-AD1CF631D770.jpg

1EA4EBEC-1BD0-4EAC-9ECB-D6CBC9999DD2.jpg

852A08DC-A84C-4749-AA17-4240960795F3.jpg

5961696C-750D-4EC3-86E5-E654B07F6EC4.jpg

I liked the set a lot. The set is an improvement over the original Ecto 1 in virtually every way possible. The minifigs themselves are better thanks to leg/arm printing and custom hair pieces, which they totally should have done for the first set IMO. Although I do not understand why two have boots and the other two do not. Even the proton pack builds are improved over the first set. As for the Ecto itself, the new version fits all 4 ghostbusters inside and the original could only fit 2. The new version also has a swing out back door where you can put in a few proton packs too.

I do not like the gaps on the new version where the side view mirrors are. They look sloppy and incomplete. However, the front end looks great and I really loved how the headlights were built. The tail section of the original Ecto was more fun to build, but the utility of the new version trumps it IMO.

They're both great sets and I think building them both shows how far Lego has come in a very short amount of time. This is easily the better set of the two, but the nostalgia of the first Ecto 1 means I would still recommend it over the new version (...for now).

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, I had a 15% off coupon for the local toy store, and my fiancée got 50€ from my grandparents after her accident, with the order to buy herself something to make her feel better.

We went there and came home with treasures.

and damn I'm annoyed that I got my most hated disney villain ever in that minifigures bag. she got of course genie ;_;...and she bought herself the TBBT set.

And I just bought Ghostbusters 1&2 on blu ray for 8€...so I ordered Ecto 1 from the lego store and I'll get the Retro Knight...yay!
But that's it until November..no new sets.

Ryuuroden

• Simpsons House
  • Kiwk-E-Mart
  • Mini Cooper
  • Camper Van
  • Detective’s Office
  • Palace Cinema
  • Parisian Restaurant
  • Brick Bank
  • Toy & Grocery Shop
  • Corner Deli
  • Vacation Getaways
  • Firehouse Headquarters
  • Slave I
  • Millennium falcon

Go for Parisian restaurant and vw camper van first

ghostmind

In case you missed it, LEGO and NASA have collaborated to put specially-designed minifigs on the Juno space probe, that is currently entering Jupiter's orbit. These minifigs, representing the Roman god Jupiter, his wife Juno, and Galileo Galilei were made by LEGO from a special grade aluminum. These minifigs will be dropped into the Jovian atmosphere next year.

xecKIHd.jpg

mrkgoo

SO I just purchased and put together the Ford Mustang form the Speed Champions line:

24883023326_6b0e5ce677_z.jpg

I really like it. I know there are a lot of restrictions to keeping the format of 6x18 studs, making the cars look very long, but the build is really cool and it does look cool. Lots of pieces for the price too - and it has a ton of SNOT techniques with around 30 (thirty!) bracket-style, studs on the side pieces. The front bumper is even built with studs pointing down.

I really recommend it. a fair amount of stickers though. I'm not a stickler for stickers like most are, but I know some people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom