• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
In case you missed it, LEGO and NASA have collaborated to put specially-designed minifigs on the Juno space probe, that is currently entering Jupiter's orbit. These minifigs, representing the Roman god Jupiter, his wife Juno, and Galileo Galilei were made by LEGO from a special grade aluminum. These minifigs will be dropped into the Jovian atmosphere next year.

xecKIHd.jpg

oh man I hope they sell them one day with a juno probe..

SO I just purchased and put together the Ford Mustang form the Speed Champions line:

I really recommend it. a fair amount of stickers though. I'm not a stickler for stickers like most are, but I know some people are.

I think I may love this line. I've only picked up the Italia GT2 and both Audis but they're awesome little builds. I've been holding off on the larger McLaren and F14 sets for a while - they just look so cool and I don't know where I'd display them.

SO I just purchased and put together the Ford Mustang form the Speed Champions line:

24883023326_6b0e5ce677_z.jpg

I really like it. I know there are a lot of restrictions to keeping the format of 6x18 studs, making the cars look very long, but the build is really cool and it does look cool. Lots of pieces for the price too - and it has a ton of SNOT techniques with around 30 (thirty!) bracket-style, studs on the side pieces. The front bumper is even built with studs pointing down.

I really recommend it. a fair amount of stickers though. I'm not a stickler for stickers like most are, but I know some people are.

I got it as well, I liked the build but my god the stickers really killed it. Never got some straight and it bugs the hell out of me. Won't be buying another one from the set as stickers are just annoying.

mrkgoo

I think I may love this line. I've only picked up the Italia GT2 and both Audis but they're awesome little builds. I've been holding off on the larger McLaren and F14 sets for a while - they just look so cool and I don't know where I'd display them.

I have the first series mclaren. They actually look neat side by side since they are the same scale.

I got it as well, I liked the build but my god the stickers really killed it. Never got some straight and it bugs the hell out of me. Won't be buying another one from the set as stickers are just annoying.

I have a technique that makes stickers pretty easy - not fool proof but easier. I use a small pocket knife and apply the sticker just to the very tip. Then holding the knife, I align the sticker to the piece and when I feel it's aligned, I push down on the sticker and release the knife.

With some care, you can also peel up stickers with the knife and realign.

Out of curiosity, dos you get a spare blue 1x3 plate? Usually the spares are the 1x1 pieces. I know Lego say it's to compensate for missing pieces by weight as they might miss Te tolerances, but I still reckon it's just in case you lose them. Scales can be accurate enough to measure a missing 1x1 piece.

In a couple days a local toy shop is holding 25% off all Lego. I wonder if I should just crack and get a big set like the Ferrari f40. Ah man I wish the beetle were out already....

willp2003

Got my vacation getaway set today, however they forgot to put in the free retro knights set, so I've had to email them. Looking forward to building that anyway.

Agree on the stickers- I bought the Z06 set and thought the same thing.

Here's a weird question...

Are there any good books or podcasts about LEGO that you'd recommend?

That is too weird to deserve an answer. J/K that is not weird at all. There are a lot of books so more details in what your interest in the books are would help narrow it down. I have a bunch I got mostly for the minifigs. I haven't pulled the trigger and bought any others yet.

Ones that have caught my eye, but I haven't bought are the "The LEGO Adventure Book" series, "Beautiful LEGO" series, and "LEGO Star Wars: Small Scenes from a Big Galaxy". I think "Beautiful LEGO" and the Star Wars ones are perfect for coffee table books.

As for podcasts, obviously LEGO lends itself more to videos. I was curious and did a quick search. Only seems to be one that is currently active.
which Parrotbeak posted.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/all-sorted-podcast-about-lego/id994773523?mt=2

http://www.bricklink.com/links.asp?viewDate=Y&showUsers=Y&catID=43

LEGO Star Wars: Small Scenes From a Big Galaxy really is fantastic. I did put it in the OP for a reason. :)

And the recommendations for Beautiful LEGO are spot on as well. Another great coffee table book.

Another book that is fun is called Extreme Bricks, which my local BN has on clearance for dirt cheap right now.

Jimbro72

Here's a weird question...

Are there any good books or podcasts about LEGO that you'd recommend?

What kind of books are you looking for exactly? Reference type books like the various minifig books? Books that just show pics of lots of well done models, like the aforementioned Beautiful LEGO series? Instructional type books? I have a bunch of various LEGO books, mostly from the first two categories I mentioned. Since I don't MOC, nor have the skill to do anything big or elaborate, I enjoy looking at the various books that just show off lots of cool models and builds that other people have done.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
For books, really anything with either cool history, facts, neat models, etc. I don't care much about minifigs, so books focusing on those are low priority. However, if the history presented is fascinating, I'd gladly consider it.

Lots of sticker complaints lately. We should add the windex solution to the OP.

Remove the sticker, spray a fine mist of windex or comparable product on the sticky side, apply sticker, slide in to perfect position, let windex dry/evaporate.

Perfect sticker placement.

I built the Blue Power Jet and Resistance Troop Transporter 75140 this weekend. BPJ was great, but wow at the transport! There were so many new techniques that I wasn't quite sure how it was going to come together until it did. I had read the instructions before because I wasn't sold on actually buying the set but had heard how good the build was. It really needs to be experienced. One of the best builds ever.

I built the Blue Power Jet and Resistance Troop Transporter 75140 this weekend. BPJ was great, but wow at the transport! There were so many new techniques that I wasn't quite sure how it was going to come together until it did. I had read the instructions before because I wasn't sold on actually buying the set but had heard how good the build was. It really needs to be experienced. One of the best builds ever.
More for the cult of Resistance Troop Transport. It really has to be built to understand the hype.

And was working a bit on my theater MOC, and needed three more of a specific SNOT plate, so I went to Brickset to find what other sets had the part, as I might have it in backlog or in sets I am waiting to disassemble.
Lo and behold, Maersk train had 6 of the part, so it was easy to tear it up to get to it. But bonus, the railings on the side of the train were the exact length I needed for railings, the exact quantity, and in black. It was serendipity that I found that at the same time. Now I can remove the abnormally long and brown railings. Feels good.

Great Lego Sets is a nice book for inspiration (and wanting to buy all kinds of discontinued AND expensive sets), and it also comes with a mini Galaxy Explorer.

willp2003

Built Vacation Getaway, and then made a few modifications..... (Hope the pics aren't too big, and execute the crap phone pics)

FAAE1B19-75A6-418D-96BD-598C2210336E_zpssj1pikow.jpg

little area to rack the meth and then smash it up

4CF5D828-BDBF-459A-9188-6F979A89BFF6_zpsw0vq67yy.jpg

4E6A7ABB-DBA4-4D24-B1BC-5F961D2CC5D1_zpskyry69qe.jpg

Work area

E994FD16-8659-4E9A-AE2B-D21B132937DA_zpstjnmd3ju.jpg

CF6DDEA4-A85D-49FF-844B-4713EB09AC14_zpsruobgyxc.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks guys - gonna check out B&N and the nearby Half-Price Books today.

Also, need some fun help! I am converting one of my spare bedrooms into my LEGO/hobby room. I need some thoughts on tables, storage, displays, etc. Anyone want to help design my room? :)

8J1Vep1l.jpg

Get Ikea's Expedit/Kallax shelves, they have room for a bunch of sets.

Not enough though. I ran into a wall of having no space at all for my Camper Van, so I had to dismantle the Mill Village Raid and bag it away. I still have a bunch of sets standing around on the floor. I have vague plans to find a bigger apartment, but I'll probably fill this one much sooner than that...

I do have plans to sell off some stuff this summer towards the apartment fund, which should make room AND make it a bit quicker to move.

Fowler

Get Ikea's Expedit/Kallax shelves, they have room for a bunch of sets.

I do love the Expedit/Kallax line, and you can create some cool little scenes inside, but the cubic shape is a little awkward -- it's a great size for a 32x32 baseplate, but it's both a little too high so there's a lot of vertical clearance for some sets, and yet not quite high enough to fit bigger sets.

I have a bunch of them and I love them, but I find that I have too many sets that only fit on the top surface of the shelves and not inside them.

mrkgoo

Should I get vacation getaways or Ferrari? Reasonably rare 35% off sale. Thing is Ferrari would hardly ever go on sale and the vacation getaway has a chance to more regularly.

Last year those comic con lego sets x mini figures were revealed at the end of June, wonder why there aren't any leaks of the sets , hmmmm

I saw that hail hydra cap x atom figure rumor but I wanna see the rest

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Should I get vacation getaways or Ferrari? Reasonably rare 35% off sale. Thing is Ferrari would hardly ever go on sale and the vacation getaway has a chance to more regularly.

Where's this sale at?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wooo! Just got the Ninjago Titan Mech Battle on Amazon Warehouse for $29! 754 pieces for $29! What a steal.

More for the cult of Resistance Troop Transport. It really has to be built to understand the hype.
I built the part that had this disc
CEGyHoN.jpg

and had no idea what it was for but by then there had been several steps that didn't make sense to me till later so I didn't think any further about it. When the ship was done I thought wow this cockpit is hard to open...oh shit!

Dammit my fat fingers. I meant 25%. Local toy store. I'm in NZ. I'm just anticipating. I don't know if there will be exclusions like they have at another toy store.

That's where I'm leaning. What's the general consensus on that model? It's mike psiaki, right? I do like some of his others...
Ferrari is really, really good. Some very cool techniques throughout, and it looks great when done. The Creator Expert vehicles have always delivered since the VW Camper. It is as reliable a purchase as a Modular is.

Jimbro72

Also, need some fun help! I am converting one of my spare bedrooms into my LEGO/hobby room. I need some thoughts on tables, storage, displays, etc. Anyone want to help design my room? :)

8J1Vep1l.jpg

I don't have any specific type of shelves to suggest but there are a couple things I'd recommend keeping in mind when choosing your shelving. First off, pick something with adjustable shelves, as you'll want to adjust height levels depending on what models you are displaying to cut down on wasted space or make room for some of the taller sets. Also make sure they are deep enough for whatever the deepest model is you'll think you'll want to display. Lastly, if you are in to modulars at all, you'll want a nice long expanse of space (like maybe along the tops of a bunch of shelves lined up) to display several of them connected. Make sure you have enough room for any you currently have and hope to buy but also some room for future ones. Once I buy and build the Brick Bank, I'll be out of room for modulars in my current setup, as far as having them along the same display. So I'll have some decisions and rearranging in my future once next years modular comes out.

Seconding adjustable height on shelves. Right now have metal wire racks ($60 or so each most places) with adjustable shelves, and deep enough for most sets. I just went and bought white particle board and had it cut to the right dimensions at Lowe's to line each shelf. Cheap and effective.

mrkgoo

Ferrari is really, really good. Some very cool techniques throughout, and it looks great when done. The Creator Expert vehicles have always delivered since the VW Camper. It is as reliable a purchase as a Modular is.

Sweet. I'll keep your comments in mind when I'm standing in the store tomorrow. I think it's likely, but I really shouldn't be spending money on Lego....

8J1Vep1l.jpg

How dedicated are you to your LEGO hobby? That room may be too small. :)

For inspiration:
http://www.tilesorstuds.com/p/lego-rooms.html
https://www.flickr.com/groups/legostorage/pool/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/atkinsar/sets/72157632511440297/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickfrenzy/sets/72057594121569048/

Sweet. I'll keep your comments in mind when I'm standing in the store tomorrow. I think it's likely, but I really shouldn't be spending money on Lego....
The VW Camper obviously gets the most love of that line around here, and with good reason. But each new entry is worthy of praise.

I feel the Mini Cooper is the most overlooked of the line these past couple years though. Might just be personal feelings. That set really is great though.

And I am stoopid excited for the new Beetle.

Edit: on a different note, about to begin final bag of Big Ben. Holy OCD nightmare. So many 1x1 things to line up and put at angles. This is both praise and criticism for the set.

That is what you write, but this is what we read:

"..., but I need some enabling from this group to spend money on LEGO..."

So, remember value of sets like VW camper tend to go up and at worse keep their MSRP value for selling later. Spend money, enjoy build, sell later to get money back or make some money.

Just finished Big Ben. I am of two minds on the set.

First off, it is both larger and smaller than I imagined it being. It is hard to explain, but it is so much more compact than I originally thought, yet still towers over many other sets at the same time.

There are a lot of really, really awesome techniques throughout the build, as is expected with a Jamie Berard set. Totally called the main tower being certain bricks turned sideways, but totally didn't call how they attached to the main body. It is done in such a stupid simple way that it is brilliant.
The way the clock hands move is a lot simpler than I imagined, which impresses me, while also not as complex as I expected, which disappoints me. The good news is that it is not something that you can screw up so bad that it cannot be easily fixed, so there really is no pressure when it comes to that part.

As for the rest of it, this set is an OCD nightmare. A vast majority of the detailing on the set is done using 1x1 tiles and bricks, thus aligning everything can be a challenge if you want this exact. This is particularly troublesome as a big part of the set is using 1x1 areas turned at angles on single studs, and then stacked on top of that. So if the bottom layer isn't perfect, the rest won't look as good.
On the other hand, this type of building allows for some very cool textures and looks to the set that cannot be achieved otherwise.

The other criticism/praise for the set is the extreme repetitive nature of the build. While the repetition gets boring after a bit (particularly the 2x build for the middle part of the tower), it is the only way to really achieve the look of the set. The ends justify the means.

And holy parts pack! If Tower Bridge was an insane parts pack for pieces, this jumps right by its side. The main thing this gets you is lots of smaller, detail oriented pieces and in large quantities. You will probably never want 1x1 dark trans bricks again after this set.

In the end, This is highly recommended. Even if the monotony of the build wears on you a bit, the gorgeous display piece it yields is totally worth the price. It really is one of the most striking sets I have built in the last several years.

So, remember value of sets like VW camper tend to go up and at worse keep their MSRP value for selling later. Spend money, enjoy build, sell later to get money back or make some money.

Well, we don't quite know that yet do we? That thing has been on shelves for AGES now ;)

Well, we don't quite know that yet do we? That thing has been on shelves for AGES now ;)

That doesn't sound like enabling talk at all.
I think you meant to say,

"It's been on the shelves so long because of the huge demand for it much like Star Wars Death Star they keep producing more. It's very unlikely that VW van set will get made again for decades if ever again. Based on that popularity, it is likely to carry a good aftermarket price even though we don't quite know that for sure. It's a set that will last for the AGES."

mrkgoo

The VW Camper obviously gets the most love of that line around here, and with good reason. But each new entry is worthy of praise.

I feel the Mini Cooper is the most overlooked of the line these past couple years though. Might just be personal feelings. That set really is great though.

And I am stoopid excited for the new Beetle.

Edit: on a different note, about to begin final bag of Big Ben. Holy OCD nightmare. So many 1x1 things to line up and put at angles. This is both praise and criticism for the set.

Oh man, I'm getting the beetle for sure. Somehow I'll find a way.

You're right of course. You're all a bunch of enablers in here! :p. Of course, that's why I come.... Lol

And yeah I'll probably never sell. Never been the kind to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom